Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beck
Dec 8, 2003

Network42 posted:

I want a good mouse for gaming under $60, but haven't looked at mice in over 3 years. What is sweet these days, is Logitech still a great company?

Logitechs are always good. I personally got the Steelseries Sensei Raw and love it. The mouse market is pretty healthy and depends mostly on what you're looking for out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

greth posted:

Is there a "keypad" mouse out there other than the Naga or the G600? I'm interested in the G600 since my naga is going to doubleclick hell and I'm basically addicted to having all those buttons, but I was wondering if there were other options.

Also, what are good ideas for mousepads? I currently use a Goliath-s, but I'm getting sick of needing to keep it clean. A hard pad would be fine,but I don't have a lot of space as my desk is currently configured.
There is always the Corsair Vengeance M95
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Venge...rsair+mmo+mouse

As far as mousepads go I'm definitely satisfied with my Ratpadz, it's lasted me a couple years now and the surface is great.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Beck posted:

Logitechs are always good. I personally got the Steelseries Sensei Raw and love it. The mouse market is pretty healthy and depends mostly on what you're looking for out of it.

Honestly, I'm about through with Logitech mice. I've used them consistently for over a decade, but I'm looking at needing to call in a warranty replacement on my third mouse in as many years... assuming that I can actually log into their goddamned support site again.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
So I just replaced my G400 with G400s, and even at the same dpi, 3600, the G400s experiences much more ripple when moving the mouse diagonally. Is there a quick fix to this?

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Beck posted:

Logitechs are always good.

this is no longer true my last three logitech mice each developed ubiquitous double click syndrome about 5 days after the warranty expired

i now have a corsair vengeance m65 and it is almost ridiculous how much better that thing is in every aspect of being a mouse

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

The data/charge cord that comes with the G700s seems really appealing in theory, but I worry that the connector would get wobbly and loose over a year or two - how is the construction quality?

Also, is there any difference between the G700 and the G700s besides the graphic stuff on the s?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

black.lion posted:

The data/charge cord that comes with the G700s seems really appealing in theory, but I worry that the connector would get wobbly and loose over a year or two - how is the construction quality?

Also, is there any difference between the G700 and the G700s besides the graphic stuff on the s?

The way the cord sits in the g700s it really holds it in place. It's an awesome mouse and I really recommend it.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

black.lion posted:

Going further than what big mean giraffe said, the G700/s uses a USB Micro B connector, and comes with a custom made cable with an oversized & shaped plastic shroud that fits into the front of the mouse, making a very strong mechanical connection: I guess it's probably impossible for it to get wobbly, ever. Plus, if you had to, you can at least replace the cable with any standard one you had on hand, since micro B also locks in fairly well just on its own. You can kinda see it on the logitech store page.

Otherwise, I think the G700S is supposed to offer an even higher DPI over the original 700 (big woop) - what impact that has on battery life I don't know, but you're not buying the G700 for battery life, I'd hope - as well as 'more robust' microswitches for lmb/rmb - rated to 20 million clicks, apparently.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
So it turns out that the new-fangled G400s isn't well suited for tracking on my Icemat frosted glass mousepad. When drawing diagonal lines it stair-steps like mad, which each step being like ten pixels wide.

It's a bit disappointing as Icemats (and Steelseries Experience I-2) were absolutely the best mousepads on the market at the time. I have a v1 G400 (sensor based off of the MX518, which was the same era as Icemats) that tracks on the frosted glass surface perfectly. Is this anything that a future driver update will fix or am I going to have to replace this priceless mousepad?

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Butt Savage posted:

Can anyone with a Logitech M510 vouch for the accuracy of an Amazon review mentioning it being an awful mouse on light-colored surfaces?

I mentioned that I would report back on this on the last page. I have an IKEA Fredrik desk with a birch-colored (I think) surface, and I was worried that the mouse wouldn't work very well after reading the above mentioned Amazon review. Well, it's actually working really well. I haven't had any issues with tracking precision, especially after adjusting it a bit in settings to suit my preferences. So it looks like I won't need a mousepad after all. I do wish it had a bit higher arch like the mx510 did, but overall I'm happy with the m510.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Greyhawk posted:

this is no longer true my last three logitech mice each developed ubiquitous double click syndrome about 5 days after the warranty expired

This is my first time venturing into this thread and it was to ask about this exact issue. So this is a known problem with Logitech mice then? It's happened to both of my G500s. I'm guessing there's no easy fix if you had to buy a new mouse?

I guess I'll try taking it apart like this guy recommends and see if it helps http://www.overclockers.com/mouse-clicking-troubles-diy-repair/

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Queen Elizatits posted:

This is my first time venturing into this thread and it was to ask about this exact issue. So this is a known problem with Logitech mice then?
It can be a problem with all mice. All mice use some type of microswitch for clicking, and they all wear out eventually. I had an original Intellimouse Explorer way back when and the side button switches conked out. Logitech does seem more susceptible than some other brands though.

quote:

It's happened to both of my G500s. I'm guessing there's no easy fix if you had to buy a new mouse?

I guess I'll try taking it apart like this guy recommends and see if it helps http://www.overclockers.com/mouse-clicking-troubles-diy-repair/
If it's out of warranty, that repair will do the job. I've done it myself, and it's quite fiddly but not difficult if you're careful. Note that if the mouse button still has a good feel to the click action, it may just be dirty. So just using some cleaning fluid (alcohol, contact cleaner) could be enough to fix the problem, which you can do without taking the microswitch apart.

Re-bending the spring is only a good idea if the the click is mushy, or the button feels like it's not returning all the way. The leaf spring is delicate, so that operation can break it.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Klyith posted:

It can be a problem with all mice. All mice use some type of microswitch for clicking, and they all wear out eventually. I had an original Intellimouse Explorer way back when and the side button switches conked out. Logitech does seem more susceptible than some other brands though.

If it's out of warranty, that repair will do the job. I've done it myself, and it's quite fiddly but not difficult if you're careful. Note that if the mouse button still has a good feel to the click action, it may just be dirty. So just using some cleaning fluid (alcohol, contact cleaner) could be enough to fix the problem, which you can do without taking the microswitch apart.

Re-bending the spring is only a good idea if the the click is mushy, or the button feels like it's not returning all the way. The leaf spring is delicate, so that operation can break it.

Thanks very much :) I had taken it apart and cleaned it but it didn't occur to me to use cleaning alcohol, I just removed some lint that had gotten in there. The buttons feel fine so I'll try that first.

Edit because holy smokes it looks like that fixed it. Thank you again! I don't usually take apart electronics and I have an eye condition but it really wasn't even that hard to do. You saved me from having to drop another $50 on a mouse :)

Queen Elizatits fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 23, 2013

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Yeah - actually these complaints have made me piece together the numerous logitech failures I've had. I've spent way too much on logitech mice over the years, since I originally spent $320 on the mx700 when it was fresh off the boat (best mouse ever, still cry myself to sleep on anniversary of the loss).

Gotta say looking at my current stable of failing logitechs that I'm loathe to get another. My partner's 905 is currently making GBS threads it's pants, I've already once replaced my 800 keyboard under warranty and my g7 mouse is such a piece of poo poo - really poor range, dreadful battery life, no back button, crappy sensor.

gently caress you logitech - you used to be pretty decent, now you're just same-same over priced poo poo.

What's a large mouse with a forward and back button with a decent range? I had been thinking Logitech m705 - but who am I kidding. It'll be a piece of overpriced poo poo. Any other alternatives - just gotta be big enough for someone with giant hands.

dusty fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Nov 24, 2013

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

dusty posted:

gently caress you logitech - you used to be pretty decent, now you're just same-same over priced poo poo.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

They still make top notch stuff and have one of the best warranties to back it up. When my Cyborg RAT 7 gave out, I tried contacting them for a RMA and they were asking for receipts and so much goddamn hoops that I just bought my G602. In comparison, I had an RMA on my G7 even though I didn't remember the exact purchase date (uh around Christmas?), didn't have a receipt, and was pretty sure I was 2-3 months over the 3 year warranty. The replacement lasted me another 3 years.

And overpriced? Really? You think spending $80 on a mouse that you use every day and will likely last you multiple years is "overpriced"?

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Well if you paid attention you'd see I'm griping because all four logitech products I own which are all less than four years old are all failing. No warranty for suckers like me out in the boondocks beyond 12 months, sorry champ but thanks for mentioning it. Perhaps read a post before you respond to it you, really just repsonded like a fanboi. I own more of their poo poo than you, you'd know this if you read the post before replying.

I'm glad to hear you like your stuff, But seriously the last six or so loving products failed within expected life span. Their stuff just isn't great in my testing - they charge for quality (I think my g7 was around $140-180 here, my mx700 over $300) but deliver pretty ordinary poo poo. Over and over and over and over. I don't own anything but logitech and it's time to get off the bandwagon.

They peaked with the mx700

Anyone got a big mouse beyond this sub-par logitech stuff? Wondering about the $20 generics - at least you know they'll be poo poo.

dusty fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 24, 2013

AutoFool
Sep 28, 2004

I am the Power
The logitech hate just makes me want to chime in and say my mx518 that is at least 7 years old is still working strong. Pretty sure people who complain about their poo poo breaking need to stop being so ham fisted.

I have been thinking about picking up a new mouse though and cannot decide between the 602 and the FUNC-3. I've read good reviews about both in this thread and I am just wondering if anyone had any experience with both. The wireless of the 602 is calling to me as my mx performance that I use with my laptop has been great even though it just turned 5 and has been dropped long distances many times on hard surfaces.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

AutoFool posted:

The logitech hate just makes me want to chime in and say my mx518 that is at least 7 years old is still working strong. Pretty sure people who complain about their poo poo breaking need to stop being so ham fisted.

I have been thinking about picking up a new mouse though and cannot decide between the 602 and the FUNC-3. I've read good reviews about both in this thread and I am just wondering if anyone had any experience with both. The wireless of the 602 is calling to me as my mx performance that I use with my laptop has been great even though it just turned 5 and has been dropped long distances many times on hard surfaces.

Mx series were beautiful - mouse on my friend. I don't think you'll be as impressed with current stuff though - it is a lot nastier [imho].

AutoFool
Sep 28, 2004

I am the Power

dusty posted:

Mx series were beautiful - mouse on my friend. I don't think you'll be as impressed with current stuff though - it is a lot nastier [imho].

Yeah that's why I've been thinking about trying out the FUNC or perhaps the corsair M...60? 65? Something like that. I just don't know, it's a large scary world of choices. My local shops only have the generic $20 mice out on display so I can't even get my hands on one before I buy.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I think some people just have an unreasonable expectation for how long a thing you pay $50 for should last. 3 years is a long time, I'd be very happy for a mouse to last that long. We live in an age of planned obsolescence, where we toss out our phones every 2 years, hell, my current PC is 3.5 years old, and thats the oldest PC I've ever owned - I plan to replace it before it hits 4 and I can't imagine keeping the same PC for longer than that.

If my mouse kept dying after 6 months, I'd be pissed off, but as long as I get 2 or 3 years out of it, I'm pretty happy.

eames
May 9, 2009

My only gripe with Logitech is the recent redesign/rebranding of their "gaming" mice which were used by more people than just gamers.

I hope they go back to a more plain design in the future because the current G-series lineup makes every gaudy :rice: Razer mouse look understated. (the G600 looks alright)

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
Echoing the love for MX Revolution. My favorite mouse ever. Unfortunately mine seems to be finally dying on me :(

The Logitech G700S is on sale for $50 on Amazon. All those crazy buttons made me hesitate, but I'm going to give it a shot

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G700s-Rechargeable-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B00BFOEY3Y

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

SnowWolf posted:

Echoing the love for MX Revolution. My favorite mouse ever. Unfortunately mine seems to be finally dying on me :(

The Logitech G700S is on sale for $50 on Amazon. All those crazy buttons made me hesitate, but I'm going to give it a shot

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G700s-Rechargeable-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B00BFOEY3Y

The g700s doesn't really have many extra buttons. For $50 it's an amazing buy though.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

I think some people just have an unreasonable expectation for how long a thing you pay $50 for should last. 3 years is a long time, I'd be very happy for a mouse to last that long.

Over here the Logitech distributor prices their stuff 2-6 times higher than US pricing. How long should a $300 mouse last? Cause I paid more than that for my mx700 and it was fabulous value for money.

The new gear... not so much.

The sad thing is though that Logitech gear definitely used to be better quality - which is why I own so much of their stuff. I still love my k800 keyboard even though the number keypad on this replacement is failing. It's a shame they've lowered the bar from where they used to be.

----
Hmmmm.
It might be worth getting that g700s from Amazon and paying obscene freight forward charges. We can be assured it'll fail within a few years, but what wont?

Oh poo poo MX700 still for sale, recommend you buy and stockpile prepper style--- http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-MX70...&keywords=mx700

dusty fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 25, 2013

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I was annoyed when my G9 died, but getting a Razer Mamba was the worst thing I ever did. I'm far happier with my G400S.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

dusty posted:

Over here the Logitech distributor prices their stuff 2-6 times higher than US pricing. How long should a $300 mouse last? Cause I paid more than that for my mx700 and it was fabulous value for money.

The new gear... not so much.

The sad thing is though that Logitech gear definitely used to be better quality - which is why I own so much of their stuff. I still love my k800 keyboard even though the number keypad on this replacement is failing. It's a shame they've lowered the bar from where they used to be.

----
Hmmmm.
It might be worth getting that g700s from Amazon and paying obscene freight forward charges. We can be assured it'll fail within a few years, but what wont?

Oh poo poo MX700 still for sale, recommend you buy and stockpile prepper style--- http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-MX70...&keywords=mx700

I'd say 3 years is a reasonable time for a mouse to last, even if you paid 300 dollars for it. (Don't buy a 300 dollar mouse). Maybe consider one of corsair's keyboards? They look really nice.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
My Razer is having loving tracking issues and it hasn't even been 1 year since I got this. Is the Func MS3 the only mouse which has those two ring and pinky rests? I want a mouse that has that, but I can't get it over here in Asia.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Is anyone able to get profile cycling to work in Logitech Gaming Software? Now that I've actually started using my G602's side buttons, I want more than one profile for FFXIV but it seems to ignore my profile cycling hotkey and I pretty much end up with a random profile.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
Anybody have any recommendations for a Bluetooth mouse? Looking for something to use with my Surface Pro 2.

Considering the MS Sculpt Comfort mouse
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Sculpt-Comfort-Mouse/productID.282133900

But I would really like something with a back button

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I've been trying to find a good replacement for my VX Revlution for ages now and haven't really found many mice that have the same attributes (size/wireless/button functionality/battery life) and it seems the G700s is the closest one, but on the Amazon page it seems to say it's Windows only. Dumb question maybe but would it work on a Mac?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

No idea about macs, but I've used the mouse on linux.
You can set it to save 5 profiles on the mouse itself (which you'll have to configure in windows) and switch between them with a button.
The mouse itself works by basically registering itself as both a mouse and a keyboard, so once you've set it up, any keypresses assigned to the buttons should work.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 28, 2013

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Thanks, good info. I'll definitely keep that in mind because so far that looks like the only decent replacement for the VX Revolution, which I adore but the scroll wheel is all weird and the thumb buttons haven't worked since forever.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

dusty posted:

Yeah - actually these complaints have made me piece together the numerous logitech failures I've had. I've spent way too much on logitech mice over the years, since I originally spent $320 on the mx700 when it was fresh off the boat (best mouse ever, still cry myself to sleep on anniversary of the loss).

Gotta say looking at my current stable of failing logitechs that I'm loathe to get another. My partner's 905 is currently making GBS threads it's pants, I've already once replaced my 800 keyboard under warranty and my g7 mouse is such a piece of poo poo - really poor range, dreadful battery life, no back button, crappy sensor.

What's a large mouse with a forward and back button with a decent range? I had been thinking Logitech m705 - but who am I kidding. It'll be a piece of overpriced poo poo. Any other alternatives - just gotta be big enough for someone with giant hands.

Try the func ms-3, it seems to be a favorite of goons with giant man-hands. I have one and enjoy it quite a bit, my only complaint with the design is that it expects that you palm the mouse exclusively and some buttons are a little awkward if you don't.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

big mean giraffe posted:

The way the cord sits in the g700s it really holds it in place. It's an awesome mouse and I really recommend it.

This. The G700s is easily the best mouse I've ever owned. The cord is a bit stiff, however, but that's only an issue if you're actually playing something. For non-games poo poo you can safely leave the thing plugged in.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Gonkish posted:

This. The G700s is easily the best mouse I've ever owned. The cord is a bit stiff, however, but that's only an issue if you're actually playing something. For non-games poo poo you can safely leave the thing plugged in.

How are the thumb buttons for you? It seems like there are so many that I'd constantly hit the wrong one by accident.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
There's only 4, I've haven't hit the wrong one yet.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

o muerte posted:

How are the thumb buttons for you? It seems like there are so many that I'd constantly hit the wrong one by accident.

There's four, and the way they're shaped is such that you can identify them just by touch. It's actually really easy to figure out which button you're pressing without looking at the mouse. The only learning curve that I had to deal with (for about the first 10 minutes) was that the BOTTOM two buttons act as forward/back in browsers, not the TOP two. That's the only hiccup I had and it lasted only a few minutes, and it only applies to the default settings. You can, of course, remap all the buttons to do whatever the gently caress you want, so really the point is irrelevant.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

[quote=""Lanky Coconut Tree"" post=""422352318""]
My Razer is having loving tracking issues and it hasn't even been 1 year since I got this. Is the Func MS3 the only mouse which has those two ring and pinky rests? I want a mouse that has that, but I can't get it over here in Asia.
[/quote]

Mionix mice do this too, although not quite as pronounced.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Performance-Mouse-Mac/dp/B002HWRJBM/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_y

This fellow has them too, I had one between my mx518 and g700. Really nice mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
anyone tried the new 2013 mechanical naga?