Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Habibi posted:

Probably the same way the pterodactyl managed to reach the upper edges of our atmosphere in about ten seconds flat without tearing itself apart.

Or how it conveniently decided to go into pterodactyl mode after its tail got chopped off. And not, you know, when it popped out of the breach. Because having a Kaiju that can fly up to suborbital altitutes at god knows how fast speeds would probably be pretty useful in wrecking cities "I don't know how it got here so fast!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

My favorite part was when the crocodile monster with the freaky xenomorph face got cut half while swimming.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Actually, my favorite, favorite part was when a giant crab stalked a crying girl through an abandoned city, before a saint complete with halo, piloting a giant robot, shot it and rescued her. And her shoe. He failed to ask the kaiju, "Why so crabby?" before he shot it, though.

Edit: Maybe he did say it, but Mako wasn't in the cockpit to witness it.

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 24, 2013

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

My other favorite part is when we get cool fan art like this:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I am a grown adult and I will fight to the death to defend my right to talk like a five year old who has nothing interesting to say about anything.

James Hardon
May 31, 2006
Kaiju Cage Match.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Wizchine posted:

Actually, my favorite, favorite part was when a giant crab stalked a crying girl through an abandoned city, before a saint complete with halo, piloting a giant robot, shot it and rescued her. And her shoe. He failed to ask the kaiju, "Why so crabby?" before he shot it, though.

Edit: Maybe he did say it, but Mako wasn't in the cockpit to witness it.

He didn't have any sunglasses with him, so there would have been no point.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

My favorite part was when the crocodile monster with the freaky xenomorph face got cut half while swimming.

My favorite part is when it is the year 2654 and an interstellar war is raging between the Terran Confederation and the cat-like alien Kilrathi. Christopher Blair (Freddie Prinze, Jr.) and Todd Marshall (Matthew Lillard) are cocky young pilots traveling aboard the small merchant ship Diligent, commanded by Commodore Taggart (Tchéky Karyo), to their new posting aboard the carrier Tiger Claw.

A massive Kilrathi armada attacks a remote human base and captures a navigation computer, through which it will be able to locate Earth. Admiral Tolwyn (David Warner) directs Blair, whose parents he knew, to carry orders to the Tiger Claw to fight a suicidal delaying action to let the rest of the Terran fleet reach Earth. Along with the awkwardness of joining a new unit, and continual pranks that require discipline from wing commander Deveraux (Saffron Burrows), Blair fights the distrust of his crewmates because of the drastic orders he brings from the Admiral, and because his mother was a "Pilgrim", a strain of humans who had fought against the Confederation. Pilgrims have the innate ability to navigate space by feel despite obstacles such as black holes. Marshall falls in love with Lieutenant Forbes (Ginny Holder) but she dies when the two disobey orders and engage Kilrathi fighters.

Tiger Claw personnel successfully attack and destroy the Kilrathi command ship. In the attack, they also find the stolen navigation computer and learn the space-jump the Kilrathi fleet will use to approach Earth. The Tiger Claw, however, is disabled and can do nothing more to prevent the assault, except to send Deveraux and Blair in fighters to find their way back to Earth. If alerted to the Kilrathi's plans, Earth forces can destroy each Kilrathi ship before it can get its bearings after the space-jump; if not, Earth will surely be overwhelmed.

Deveraux's fighter is disabled in combat, but she convinces Blair to abandon her and continue his mission. Blair uses his Pilgrim ability to make the jump to the vicinity of Earth. He is followed by a Kilrathi ship, but he locates a black hole he encountered at the start of the movie and induces the Kilrathi ship to venture so close as to be devoured by it. As his fighter runs out of fuel, he transmits the information Earth needs to defeat the Kilrathi assault. The Earth fleet rescues Blair, and Taggart rescues Deveraux.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Yeah, Legend of Galactic Heroes was a fun show.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Hey, people who liked Cherno Alpha, do you also like Coyote Tango?

Would you like some 7" action figures of them? Admittedly, in February so not anytime soon, but whatever it will be worth the wait.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=NEC12423&mode=retail

They also have Cherno and Coyote separately, but the two pack is a better deal. I'd get on it ASAP if you want one in case it sells out, which a lot of the other models have.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
So I just watched this again last night and I have figured out the criteria for the rare quality of being drift compatible;

Being related (Twins are super compatible).
Being husband and wife.
Have sexual tension after a stick fight thing.
Knowing a dude's dad.

I hope this clears some stuff up.

ColHannibal fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 24, 2013

Extra Koos
Nov 2, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

My favorite part is when it is the year 2654 and an interstellar war is raging between the Terran Confederation and the cat-like alien Kilrathi. Christopher Blair (Freddie Prinze, Jr.) and Todd Marshall (Matthew Lillard) are cocky young pilots traveling aboard the small merchant ship Diligent, commanded by Commodore Taggart (Tchéky Karyo), to their new posting aboard the carrier Tiger Claw.

A massive Kilrathi armada attacks a remote human base and captures a navigation computer, through which it will be able to locate Earth. Admiral Tolwyn (David Warner) directs Blair, whose parents he knew, to carry orders to the Tiger Claw to fight a suicidal delaying action to let the rest of the Terran fleet reach Earth. Along with the awkwardness of joining a new unit, and continual pranks that require discipline from wing commander Deveraux (Saffron Burrows), Blair fights the distrust of his crewmates because of the drastic orders he brings from the Admiral, and because his mother was a "Pilgrim", a strain of humans who had fought against the Confederation. Pilgrims have the innate ability to navigate space by feel despite obstacles such as black holes. Marshall falls in love with Lieutenant Forbes (Ginny Holder) but she dies when the two disobey orders and engage Kilrathi fighters.

Tiger Claw personnel successfully attack and destroy the Kilrathi command ship. In the attack, they also find the stolen navigation computer and learn the space-jump the Kilrathi fleet will use to approach Earth. The Tiger Claw, however, is disabled and can do nothing more to prevent the assault, except to send Deveraux and Blair in fighters to find their way back to Earth. If alerted to the Kilrathi's plans, Earth forces can destroy each Kilrathi ship before it can get its bearings after the space-jump; if not, Earth will surely be overwhelmed.

Deveraux's fighter is disabled in combat, but she convinces Blair to abandon her and continue his mission. Blair uses his Pilgrim ability to make the jump to the vicinity of Earth. He is followed by a Kilrathi ship, but he locates a black hole he encountered at the start of the movie and induces the Kilrathi ship to venture so close as to be devoured by it. As his fighter runs out of fuel, he transmits the information Earth needs to defeat the Kilrathi assault. The Earth fleet rescues Blair, and Taggart rescues Deveraux.

Do the black holes represent the real.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Extra Koos posted:

Do the black holes represent the real.

James Hardon
May 31, 2006

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

ColHannibal posted:

So I just watched this again last night and I have figured out the criteria for the rare quality of being drift compatible;

Being related (Twins are super compatible).
Being husband and wife.
Have sexual tension after a stick fight thing.
Knowing a dude's dad.

I hope this clears some stuff up.

This isn't mentioned in the movie, but the extended universe establishes that you can also drift if you have a rice rocket.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

I'm currently writing my magnum opus about the Gundam vs Godzilla movie's good and subversive take on the socioeconomic themes of Metropolis. WHen it's finished I will post it in this thread in an estimated 10,080 posts (due to length).

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

CHeck out the anime Neon Genesis Evangelion if you like this movie. *waves*

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

No.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

Check out Mazinger Z, Yuusha Raideen, and Getter Robo G if you want to see the kind of stuff that inspired Del Toro as a boy. *Waves middle finger*

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
You should watch Eva because it's good, not because it has anything to do with Pacific Rim other than monsters.

That's right, not even robots.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You should watch Eva because it's good, not because it has anything to do with Pacific Rim other than monsters.

Seriously. Anyone who says this is a ripoff of Eva has either A: Never watched Eva or B: Never watched Pacific Rim. The two a VASTLY different from each other in characterization and themes.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Jet Alone :colbert:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

OptimusShr posted:

Seriously. Anyone who says this is a ripoff of Eva has either A: Never watched Eva or B: Never watched Pacific Rim. The two a VASTLY different from each other in characterization and themes.

They say it because Eva is better known in the states than most any of the shows it riffs on. It's kinda weird.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

It's no Eva ripoff, but some things are pretty clearly allusions to it or influenced by it. The final scene which is very reminiscent of Misato deactivating Jet Alone, Mako having blue [highlights in her] hair and a paternalistic but non-familial relationship with the boss, The orange poo poo in the helmets in the very first scene.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

DStecks posted:

It's no Eva ripoff, but some things are pretty clearly allusions to it or influenced by it. The final scene which is very reminiscent of Misato deactivating Jet Alone, Mako having blue [highlights in her] hair and a paternalistic but non-familial relationship with the boss, The orange poo poo in the helmets in the very first scene.

All elements from anime that are older than Evangelion (and which Evangelion was riffing on).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

DStecks posted:

Mako has blue in her hair because her incident with the Kaiju is still on her mind to the present day.

Raleigh is literally always bathed in amber, that is his color and that's how he's shot. When he meets Mako for the first time the only two colors in the scene are blue and amber.

This is not my analysis, this is all said on the commentary track (although death of the author and all that, so ymmv)

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Panfilo posted:

Or how it conveniently decided to go into pterodactyl mode after its tail got chopped off. And not, you know, when it popped out of the breach. Because having a Kaiju that can fly up to suborbital altitutes at god knows how fast speeds would probably be pretty useful in wrecking cities "I don't know how it got here so fast!"

I know this isn't spelled out in the movie, but I just assumed the wings were because that Kaiju's job was to find Charlie Day, then pop wings and exfiltate with him ASAP. You don't want it walking back to the rift with Charlie since they know that humans might be able to follow it through, and you don't want it popping out wings early because it'll get separated from its partner and might have to solo kill a bunch of Jaegers (and the wings might make it a lot more delicate in a hand to hand fight.)

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

NmareBfly posted:

I know this isn't spelled out in the movie, but I just assumed the wings were because that Kaiju's job was to find Charlie Day, then pop wings and exfiltate with him ASAP. You don't want it walking back to the rift with Charlie since they know that humans might be able to follow it through, and you don't want it popping out wings early because it'll get separated from its partner and might have to solo kill a bunch of Jaegers (and the wings might make it a lot more delicate in a hand to hand fight.)

Why would they want Newt alive? Even assuming that the Kaiju universe can support human life, they don't have drift technology. They can't learn any more from him unless he intiates a second drift, which he does.

I just assumed that Otachi had wings because they were cooking up a new Kaiju model to fly over the wall, and Hong Kong was its trial run.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

DStecks posted:

Why would they want Newt alive?

Unknown, but they certainly wanted him. Could have been alive or dead, but Otachi goes right for him with pretty clear intent to do SOMEthing, and that something wasn't to just off him or it would have just squished the shelter he was in. I figured it was going to swallow him and store him in an internal sack somewhere for transport back and dissection, because why else would it seek him out? For a light lunch and conversation?

quote:

they don't have drift technology

How do we know that? Besides the Kaiju not having any built-in drift firewalls there's no real evidence one way or another. If they don't there's still more than one way to skin a neural network so this is a moot point. They obviously know their poo poo when it comes to designing organic weapons, so making something that can pull info out of human brains isn't really a leap.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Anyway, not sure why we spent tens of pages discussing the Hong Kong fight. I thought the last battle was far more entertaining.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

enraged_camel posted:

Anyway, not sure why we spent tens of pages discussing the Hong Kong fight. I thought the last battle was far more entertaining.

It's interesting that Striker looks set to take Slattern down, even when it was heavily damaged by the tail strike to the chest.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

Because some people are dumb.

Milky Moor posted:

It's interesting that Striker looks set to take Slattern down, even when it was heavily damaged by the tail strike to the chest.

Is it? Outside an EMP, from our perspective, Striker is decisively superior to every Kaiju it encounters up to that point, including 3 cat 4s. That it could take on a cat 5 doesn't seem that big a jump.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

DStecks posted:

Why would they want Newt alive? Even assuming that the Kaiju universe can support human life, they don't have drift technology. They can't learn any more from him unless he intiates a second drift, which he does.

I just assumed that Otachi had wings because they were cooking up a new Kaiju model to fly over the wall, and Hong Kong was its trial run.

Otachi's tongue was drift gear.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

enraged_camel posted:

The last fight sucked. There was nothing you could scale the category 5 kaiju to in terms of size. Also it was underwater.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I was actually bored during most of the last fight. Everything is too dark and slow moving.

sursumdeorsum
Jan 10, 2010
Blu ray for Pacific Rim is now on sale for $7.99, if you haven't picked it up yet!

sursumdeorsum fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 2, 2013

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah I was actually bored during most of the last fight. Everything is too dark and slow moving.

I thought this too but that was because of the lovely cinema I watched it at, the picture lacked contrast, the blacks weren't black and it smeared across the screen. Viewing it at home on a decent screen was a world of difference.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
I think the blu-ray's audio was encoded too hot. Whenever Pentecost slightly raised his voice it would distort for a second in the center channel. Only happened 2-3 times but it drove me crazy and made me spend an hour looking for some kind of issue that probably isn't there with my system.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Devout Christian posted:

The last fight sucked. There was nothing you could scale the category 5 kaiju to in terms of size. Also it was underwater.

I think you missed the part where Slattern emerges from the breach and lands in front of Striker, and Striker kind of looks up at it.

They also brawl for a bit, and there it is clearly visible that Slattern is about 1.5 times the size of Striker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

enraged_camel posted:

I think you missed the part where Slattern emerges from the breach and lands in front of Striker, and Striker kind of looks up at it.

They also brawl for a bit, and there it is clearly visible that Slattern is about 1.5 times the size of Striker.

But they are just in a big underwater area which doesn't give the robots a sense of scale either. You "know" how big the robots are thanks to the rest of the film, but not really enough to give Slattern his due on size.

In the opening sequence Gypsy is given scale against the boat and against the alaskan people. In the shatterdome they are given scale against the people. In the Hong Kong fight you get great scale when Gypsy fights the Kajiu on land in the city. In the final battle you don't get anything to compare the robots/monsters to. You have to rely on previous knowledge of the robots, but it doesn't really work and Slattern comes off as kind of underwhelming because we never get to compare to a "real" thing like a boat or a building, or even a person.

The battle is still fun, but the scale is lost.

• Locked thread