Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

loudog999 posted:

How can you remap the Vita controls? I tried NBA 2k14 to see how it ran remote. It seemed fine but using the touchpad for turbo seemed really uncomfortable.

I haven't tried PS4 remote play myself, but with PS3 remote play/PSP/PSOne games, you can just hold the PS button to access the options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

That loving Sned posted:

I'm getting a PS4 at the UK launch, but I've had a PS3 for ages. You could get a PS3 now, and buy Gran Turismo 6 (6th December) and Dark Souls II (14th March) when they come out, and wait until DriveClub (3rd March), inFamous: Second Son (21st February), Destiny and Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeros come out early next year before you get a PS4.

However, the price of the PS4 isn't going to drop for a long time. It's already undercutting the competition, and there's very little they could strip out of the system to reduce costs *cough*Kinect*cough*. There are plenty of free-to-play games available from launch, as well as some free PS+ games.

Considering I'm almost definitely going to get one in the next 6 months there really is no point in me waiting. Especially as there are a few launch games I'm liking the look of.

My best bet is probably to sell my 360 and try to pick up a PS3 on eBay.

I'd like Amazon to hurry up and update my preorder though. I'm not expecting to get it on launch but it'd be nice to know.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Eboracum posted:

Sadly I'm in the UK, otherwise that looks pretty tempting. It's only really Uncharted, TLOU, the MGS games as I've not played one since the PSone version and maybe Ni no Kuni that I'm interested in.

I might just suck it up and be a pirate for a few months. I've also ordered BF4 in case it ever becomes playable.

The lack of backwards compatibility definitely hurts. I still have my PS3 but playing things on it is sort of a pain because things take forever to load by comparison, the system itself is quite loud and I hate stringing a 10 foot USB cable to the PS4 controller just so Dragons Dogma is tolerable (I hate the DS3). The one game I really wanted DS4 compatibility for is GTA 5 which of course doesn't work properly. I bet there will be a next gen version but it's likely 6-8 months out.

In terms of launch games the lineups on both consoles are pretty unimpressive. NBA2k14 turned out to be way too simulation focused for my tastes and I hate their control layout. Madden and FIFA are fun as long as you know what you're getting. Assassin's Creed 4 is the only real standout game, Resogun is fun but I wouldn't sink 50 hours into it.

I'm getting into the MP for AC4 though and it's surprisingly addictive so maybe that will tide you over too for awhile. Launch is always like this and there's more stuff coming over the next 2-3 months in terms of indies and etc before the big wave next year.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The $200 tlou/batman appears to just be the holiday bundle, not a black Friday sale.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Played Battlefield 4 for the first time last night on PS4. I cant begin to explain how bizarre it is for me to play that game with that many people on a console. It also looks and plays amazing(ly).

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Persona 5 on PS3 makes me more excited for Gaikai. That game would be perfect for it. It's not like slight lag matters for a game that's 90% menu navigation.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I still have no idea how Gaikai is supposed to work, do they have farms with thousands of PS3s running games? or is it emulated on a bunch of supercomputers? because if its just a bunch of PS3s then that might get expensive and there would probably be lines to use the service anyway since there's no way they're gonna have enough PS3s for everyone.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I kept my PS3/4 on the desk, loaned the 360 to Dad for some media features he wanted, and shelved my Wii.

I don't mind keeping around both. I never had PS Plus before, and while the Plus titles for 4 are limited for obvious reasons now I have all sorts of PS3 games to play that I never would have bothered with before.

I eventually felt the PS4 kind of lacking with just Resogun and Contrast for some reason, so I burned up some perfectly good cash on COD, but overall the fact that it has less demand than my PS3 doesn't bother me.

I've also just been through this enough times to have good memory. When the PS2 was brand new and in short supply in stores, people who owned one would say that they are just using it as a DVD player that plays last gen games. We got past that eventually.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

El Hefe posted:

I still have no idea how Gaikai is supposed to work, do they have farms with thousands of PS3s running games? or is it emulated on a bunch of supercomputers? because if its just a bunch of PS3s then that might get expensive and there would probably be lines to use the service anyway since there's no way they're gonna have enough PS3s for everyone.

Considering the latter is how OnLive worked (seriously), I doubt it's competition would be that daft. I'm expected emulators out the wazoo, and servers powerful enough to run several of those aforementioned emulators at a time.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

El Hefe posted:

It could very well just be remote play but from the PS3 to your PS4.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can get Cell-based blade servers. Maybe Sony is going to make a lot of those, except also with an RSX, and have a fake PS3 cluster. There's no way it's going to require you to own a PS3, that would defeat the whole purpose.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Eboracum posted:

Does anyone regret buying their PS4?

There's a part of me considering buying a PS3, the Uncharted series, TLOU and a few other games I missed owning an Xbox and just waiting.

It's only really AC4 and the excitement of wanting a new console/being bored of my 360 that's making me do it.

I just wish it was backwards compatible.

E - I'm probably going to buy one next year anyway with Destiny coming out so meh I may as well keep my preorder. I just hate the idea of a PS4 Slim or whatever coming out next year.

It's extremely unlikely we'll get a PS4 Slim or any kind of hardware revision or price drop in the first year so if you're thinking of getting it next year anyway just hold on to your pre order.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Eboracum posted:

Does anyone regret buying their PS4?

There's a part of me considering buying a PS3, the Uncharted series, TLOU and a few other games I missed owning an Xbox and just waiting.

It's only really AC4 and the excitement of wanting a new console/being bored of my 360 that's making me do it.

I just wish it was backwards compatible.

E - I'm probably going to buy one next year anyway with Destiny coming out so meh I may as well keep my preorder. I just hate the idea of a PS4 Slim or whatever coming out next year.

I don't regret my purchase, but I honestly think you should play through some PS3 games first.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago
Just snagged a PS4 at Target along with Asscreed, NFS, and a controller. They had 5 total. Hope I got a good one.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I don't regret my purchase, but I honestly think you should play through some PS3 games first.

If I can get a PS3, TLOU and Uncharted 2 + 3 for ~£100 I'll bite. That's looking possible judging from eBay. Just need to find the time to play All The Games.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Eboracum posted:

If I can get a PS3, TLOU and Uncharted 2 + 3 for ~£100 I'll bite. That's looking possible judging from eBay. Just need to find the time to play All The Games.

You don't really need Uncharted 3 since you get that with a PS+ subscription, and you'll be wanting that to accumulate all the "free" games on PS3 and PS4 and get PS4 multiplayer.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.

Bass Bottles posted:

Persona 5 on PS3 makes me more excited for Gaikai. That game would be perfect for it. It's not like slight lag matters for a game that's 90% menu navigation.

This is assuming it's available on whatever the service Gaikai is. Atlus usually waits a while before re-releasing a game. I really don't want to dust off the PS3 just for one long time consuming game :(

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cracker King posted:

This is assuming it's available on whatever the service Gaikai is. Atlus usually waits a while before re-releasing a game. I really don't want to dust off the PS3 just for one long time consuming game :(
I thought Gaikai would just be bazillions of PS3s (or their inner parts) running PS3 games and streaming their inputs/outputs across the internet.

At least Persona isn't a twitch game so there won't be any problem with latency.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago
Ugh...are there any trusted mirror sites of the update? Sony's site is going slow and it is saying 3-4 hours.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
No problems with latency at all, I agree (for turn-based). But we have no idea about SONY's policy on when games get on the gaikai service. Do they have "Day ONE" plans? That's what I'm talking about.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Apologies if this has already been asked and answered but what about PS1 games one has purchased on PSN? Do they roll over and work on the PS4 at all?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Sensenmann posted:

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered but what about PS1 games one has purchased on PSN? Do they roll over and work on the PS4 at all?

No. Any games would have to be rereleased with PS4 functionality.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

MZ posted:

It's extremely unlikely we'll get a PS4 Slim or any kind of hardware revision or price drop in the first year so if you're thinking of getting it next year anyway just hold on to your pre order.

I don't know what everyone keeps talking about. I already have a PS4 Slim. :smugdog:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Tomahawk posted:

I don't know what everyone keeps talking about. I already have a PS4 Slim. :smugdog:

Yeah, I don't see the box getting any smaller.

There'll be redesigns eventually to take advantage of cheaper parts, but to get this thing any smaller probably means having an external power supply.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Yeah, I don't see the box getting any smaller.

There'll be redesigns eventually to take advantage of cheaper parts, but to get this thing any smaller probably means having an external power supply.

The PS2 Slim is really drat slim. I suppose them doing the same for PS4 in 3-5 years wouldn't be impossible. PS2 slim does have an adapter, but LOOK AT THAT TINY CONSOLE makes up for it IMO.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

No. Any games would have to be rereleased with PS4 functionality.

Ah drat. It's as if Sony wants us to keep all their consoles. PS2, PS3 and now a PS4. Eh...

Thanks.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Okay, so for the first time ever, I plan on getting a Sony console, and I had a couple questions before I go shell out the cash.

1) PS+, worth it? Like do you get to keep those "free" games, or is it like a rental service?
2) Any accessories I should look at getting when I get the console or immediately after?
3) Any games have local multiplayer yet, or in the upcoming batch of games?

Thanks in advance

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Okay, so for the first time ever, I plan on getting a Sony console, and I had a couple questions before I go shell out the cash.

1) PS+, worth it? Like do you get to keep those "free" games, or is it like a rental service?
2) Any accessories I should look at getting when I get the console or immediately after?

Thanks in advance

1) YES! You keep them as long as you have the subscription, and get them back if you resubscribe.
2) Not really.
3) Knack I think.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Thanks in advance
1) Yes, you get to keep them as long as you are a PS+ subscriber. It's a good deal.
2) For the PS4, there hardly are any accessories yet. I didn't get anything.
3) Knack I think?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Thanks in advance

PS+ is extremely worth it. You keep the games until your subscription runs out. If you let it lapse and resubscribe you immediately get the games back. PS+ is also required on PS4 for online multiplayer if that is important to you.

If you want to replace the Micro-USB with a longer cord for your controller, it's not a bad idea. I bought a controller charging stand, but YMMV. I haven't bought anything else, but the mono headset that Sony put in my box came broken, so I will replace it at some point. Otherwise, I can't think of anything else. Some folks like the $20 vertical stand but, again, YMMV.

For local coop, there is Injustice, Knack, NFS:R (I think).

Edit: iPad autocorrect

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Morby posted:

The PS2 Slim is really drat slim. I suppose them doing the same for PS4 in 3-5 years wouldn't be impossible. PS2 slim does have an adapter, but LOOK AT THAT TINY CONSOLE makes up for it IMO.

Actually, even better. Some PS2 slim models (later ones I think) don't even have this adapter. Just the same power cable the PS3 and PS4 uses.

They'd have to go all external memory/flash/ssd to get a PS4 even smaller. Also, aren't toploader drives smaller in size than regular drives? (I dunno if that helped the PS3 have a superlsim or what)

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

L-O-N posted:

You don't really need Uncharted 3 since you get that with a PS+ subscription

Ahh that's great. I'm going to add Journey to my list of PS3 games to play too.

I know the DS4 works with the PS3 but should I stick with the original controller or are there only positives for using the newer one?

(Sorry for PS3 questions, I should probably head over to that thread).

I'm actually quite excited to be buying another Sony machine. I loved my PSOne to death.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
NBA and FIFA are also local co-op.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

Actually, even better. Some PS2 slim models (later ones I think) don't even have this adapter. Just the same power cable the PS3 and PS4 uses.

Cool! Didn't realize that. I have one of the earlier slim models that has the adapter. I forgot about it completely until a couple weeks ago when I rearranged my media center to get the 360 out to move things around for PS4. I had also completely forgotten about the gently caress off huge power brick that it had, and Xbone's is apparently even bigger.

Why does a console, in the year of our Lord 2013, need a brick that goddamn big?

Edit: I loved DS3 just fine, but DS4 just feels so awesome. Most of the buttons work on PS3, but it requires a wired connection with DS4 and there is no way to get back to the Playstation menu screen (the PS button doesn't work). Also no touchpad support.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Thanks in advance

Skylanders: Swap Force

Samurai Sanders posted:

3) Knack I think?

That coop is the loving worst though

edit: VVV Yeah, it looked good on the GB stream, except for that weird dynamic split screen.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 24, 2013

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Lego Marvel has co-op, right? The whole game looks to be designed around swapping between two characters.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Pleads posted:

Lego Marvel has co-op, right? The whole game looks to be designed around swapping between two characters.

All the other Lego games do so I assume so.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Thanks in advance

1.) You keep em as long as you have a PS+ Sub. its worth it.
2.) Controller Charging Dock
3.) Nothing worthwhile yet. May be a bit on that too.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Morby posted:

Cool! Didn't realize that. I have one of the earlier slim models that has the adapter. I forgot about it completely until a couple weeks ago when I rearranged my media center to get the 360 out to move things around for PS4. I had also completely forgotten about the gently caress off huge power brick that it had, and Xbone's is apparently even bigger.

Why does a console, in the year of our Lord 2013, need a brick that goddamn big?

Edit: I loved DS3 just fine, but DS4 just feels so awesome. Most of the buttons work on PS3, but it requires a wired connection with DS4 and there is no way to get back to the Playstation menu screen (the PS button doesn't work). Also no touchpad support.

The Vita's more powerful than a PS2 right? Yeah, that little thing to the next of the controller is the tiny little, fully functional Vita Tv (works with games that don't require touchscreen at least)

I don't doubt that Sony can keep making hardware smaller and smaller, their limitation on the PS4 is that it still requires a hard drive, and a disc drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
With all the Gaikai talk, when is that service supposed to actually launch? Or is it just one of those "when it's ready" things?

• Locked thread