Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I received the new Benq BL2710 27" 1440p monitor today, and it is awesome. I'm replacing a Thunderbolt display because I got tired of the ridiculous mirror-like finish on that screen and its limited/outdated inputs.

The Benq has a beautiful matte screen with a light anti-glare coating, no PWM and "flicker free" backlighting, USB 3.0 ports, speakers/headphone jack, height/tilt adjustable stand, an ambient light sensor for auto-dimming brightness, and a multitude of inputs. It's even got a hook on the back to hang your headphones from.

Apparently this is not an IPS monitor but an AMVA, though it seems to share the same benefits that IPS panels have vs. TN in terms of viewing angles, color reproduction, etc. Here is a :words: review of the Benq BL2710: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_bl2710pt.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Coredump posted:

No you just didn't...

BrettRobb posted:

No I think deteriorating eyesight is a problem for a lot of people. Have you thought about getting reading glasses at the very least?

I don't know why we're mocking someone for his PPI preference, but a lot of Internet browsers now do have a function for enlarging and shrinking font, usually CTRL + mousewheel.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Josh Lyman posted:

I seriously must be the only person in the world who doesn't hate 1080p on a 27" monitor. I actually use SA on it most of the time because the font is so small on my 1440p 27" monitor.

Well I've been using a 26" TV set at 1366x768 as my main screen for 4 years now. I think 1080 would spoil me at this point :(

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I don't know why we're mocking someone for his PPI preference, but a lot of Internet browsers now do have a function for enlarging and shrinking font, usually CTRL + mousewheel.

Oh I'm not mocking, trust me. Also with ctrl + mousewheel, I remember having to do it to every new page I went to, which was very annoying. Plus it would wreak havoc on webpages layouts. I also specified a bigger default font in firefox and that caused issues. Operating systems don't have an elegant way to scale font yet.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I seriously must be the only person in the world who doesn't hate 1080p on a 27" monitor. I actually use SA on it most of the time because the font is so small on my 1440p 27" monitor.

Yeah, I use a 27" 1080p at work and I don't mind it at all. I actually find it much more comfortable to work on than the 17" 1080p display on my laptop.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

kloa posted:

I just bought mine last week and got it in Friday and have been enjoying it since. You should be fine for coding even with an integrated chip like the HD 4000. It's definitely not an IPS monitor because when I sit close enough and move my head around you can see color/lighting shifts across the screen - maybe I'm just sitting too close and wouldn't perceive it >3ft away. If you need any other info let me know.

I ended up ordering this TV yesterday. Because it shipped from same the city I live in, it's already here and I have it plugged in. So far, it looks like there's nothing wrong with it, which is a relief, considering my recent luck with monitors. I'm also thrilled that it doesn't have the same issues a lot of cheap TN panels have, such as the way whites and off-whites invert when viewed at steep angles.

I am having currently problems getting it to do beyond 1080p though. Right now, I have a 9800GT in my work PC with dual DVI, and using an HDMI adapter with that wouldn't work beyond 1080p anyway from what I've read, so I haven't even tried it. Instead, I brought my home PC in to test with, and that has a GTX 550 Ti with an HDMI output. That isn't working beyond 1080p either, even with the latest NVIDIA drivers (331.86) installed.

Is there a hardware support cutoff for 3840x2160? Information on the internet is scarce, but this article suggests that maybe I need at least a GeForce 600-series card to do this. I was planning on getting a GT 640 anyway to replace my non-HDMI-having 9800GT since it's inexpensive and no worse than the old card, but any information on what works and doesn't work is helpful.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 21, 2013

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The GTX 550 has a max resolution of 2560x1600, although that wouldn't explain why you're only getting 1080p.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
I'm looking to snag a new ≤27" monitor on BF and I've got a Dell gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket. None of the recommended monitors in the OP are available through Dell and I was wondering which models I should keep an eye on. I'd use it mainly as a primary screen for my MacBook Pro doing office + Illustrator work but would also occasionally use it with my 360/whatever next-gen system I pick up in a year or two. I'd also like to stay in the $300 range (which is why I'm specifically looking to score on a BF deal).

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Zorilla posted:

Is there a hardware support cutoff for 3840x2160? Information on the internet is scarce, but this article suggests that maybe I need at least a GeForce 600-series card to do this. I was planning on getting a GT 640 anyway to replace my non-HDMI-having 9800GT since it's inexpensive and no worse than the old card, but any information on what works and doesn't work is helpful.

The Seiki only has HDMI 1.4a inputs, so you are limited to HDMI connectors (so no dual-link DVI or DisplayPort options). Once you have an HDMI connection, your are then limited by the lowest-capability version of HDMI in the chain - in this case, your 550 Ti, which has HDMI 1.4 (not 1.4a), and that's the version just before 4K support was added.

So yes, you will need a new video card with HDMI 1.4a to get 4K support. You also won't see 2560x resolutions over HDMI, as those are not defined HDMI standard resolutions. You could try forcing the resolution and it might work, but it also might not.

HDMI 1.4a can be found on Kepler GeForces and GCN Radeons, and this includes the GeForce GT 640.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Factory Factory posted:

The Seiki only has HDMI 1.4a inputs, so you are limited to HDMI connectors (so no dual-link DVI or DisplayPort options). Once you have an HDMI connection, your are then limited by the lowest-capability version of HDMI in the chain - in this case, your 550 Ti, which has HDMI 1.4 (not 1.4a), and that's the version just before 4K support was added.

So yes, you will need a new video card with HDMI 1.4a to get 4K support. You also won't see 2560x resolutions over HDMI, as those are not defined HDMI standard resolutions. You could try forcing the resolution and it might work, but it also might not.

HDMI 1.4a can be found on Kepler GeForces and GCN Radeons, and this includes the GeForce GT 640.

Yep, I figured this out today and a trip to Fry's to get a 600-series card cleared things up. Based on earlier research, I thought my 550 Ti had a 1.4a output, but I guess I was wrong.

Next issue: I'm trying to update the firmware provided by the official Seiki website downloads page, but I'm running into problems. I assume I'm supposed to copy install.img to the root directory of a freshly FAT32-formatted USB drive, but the TV doesn't seem to be reading it. I have tried unplugging the TV, connecting the USB drive, and plugging the TV back in, but instead of rapid red/blue flashing, all I get is the solid red light, indicating the TV is in standby.

I have made sure I have the model number correct (SE39UY04), though I'm not sure if the difference between the "20130827" and "20130828 With Backlight And color TEMP" is supposed to be two different firmware versions of the same model or two different submodels of this TV. I assumed the former, but neither of them work.

I'm not supposed to use some tool to unpack the contents of install.img to the drive, am I?

Edit: I also tried both USB ports- the one on the side and the one on the back. Do they both work for reading firmware or can I only use one of them?

Update: I remembered reading on a forum that I could access the Factory Menu by opening the menu and entering "0000". Lo and behold, there's a "Software Upgrade" menu in there that reads from USB. After upgrading to the 20130828 firmware, I swear the input lag has gone down a bit.

Edit 2: oh, and it looks like I spoke too soon about the "no defects" thing. Dust contamination. Tapping it isn't knocking it loose, so it looks like it's time to call up Seiki. It looks like they can do advance exchanges, so hopefully there's no downtime.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 22, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I tried out Bioshock Infinite for the first time since I finally have a video card (7970 GHz Edition) that can play it on my 27" Korean and now I have a headache, possibly motion sickness. Has anyone else experienced this with a large monitor?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Josh Lyman posted:

I tried out Bioshock Infinite for the first time since I finally have a video card (7970 GHz Edition) that can play it on my 27" Korean and now I have a headache, possibly motion sickness. Has anyone else experienced this with a large monitor?

Nah, that's Bioshock Infinite being Bioshock Infinite. I've experienced headaches with that game and Tomb Raider because their field of view settings don't change much, plus they looooooove to gently caress with my sense of position/horizon by turning into a fisheye lens or rolling the camera to the side while running.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Josh Lyman posted:

I tend to get motion sick easily but have had pretty good results using an fov of 100 for fps games at 1440p on a 27".

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Josh Lyman posted:

Increase your field of view; I got the same thing once I moved to 30" monitors.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
FOV and stuff won't be a huge deal if you have the 30" for a while, I'm pretty sure. I got crazy motion sickness when I first got my 30 but I've had it for like maybe 2 or 3 years now and it's no problem. And I'm really the first dude to get those kind of issues.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Taima posted:

FOV and stuff won't be a huge deal if you have the 30" for a while, I'm pretty sure. I got crazy motion sickness when I first got my 30 but I've had it for like maybe 2 or 3 years now and it's no problem. And I'm really the first dude to get those kind of issues.

After playing at 100+ FOV's since like Half Life 2 came out, I can't do anything lower anymore :(

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
This might be a weird question but how nicely do monitors with different resolutions play with easch other when doing vision surround or normal multimonitor desktops? I need a 2560 monitor for work and just wondering if I needed to buy 2 more or whether I could get away with a 2560 for my main display then 2 1080s to flank it and step down the main monitor to 1080 for using surround in games.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
My favorite monitor for the money is on sale if you want a Dell Outlet refurb:

S2240M 21.5" 1080p IPS screen

$89 and free 3-5 day shipping after coupon: NK58QFFMB95522

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/22/campaigns/dell_outlet_hot_deals_dfh?c=us&l=en&s=dfh&dgc=IR&cid=250066&lid=4352121

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
According to Lightning Drops, the U2312HM is at its lowest price ever on Amazon at $180. I just bought two. :negative:

(Already had one. Here I come Eyefinity :pcgaming:)

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I work/game on my computer 8 hours a day. I dont play shooters or fighting games on my monitors so i dont need a low input lag setup. I currently have a dual 24" setup with Samsung TNs. I spent a few hours on my brother's LG ultrawide which is an IPS I believe. The added sharpness was very easy on my eyes and I think I want an IPS now.
I am eyeing one of the Korean 30"s on ebay. I have the graphics muscle to power a high res screen. Is there any reason this is a bad idea? Is the OP current with the preferred sellers?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Newegg has the U3014 for $850 today.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
So how long till OLED tech works its way into monitors?

It seems like monitors have kinda been stuck in the same place for a while now.

Return of Jane
Nov 20, 2013

by Fistgrrl
How much does the Dell U2713HM typically sell for?

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-U2713HM-IPS-LED-CVN85-27-Inch-LED-lit/dp/B009H0XQQY

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

It averages $600. It was recently $540 in October. Still a great price.

kerrhyphen
Jul 19, 2010

Disaster Ace

Speaking of the U3014, I'm having an issue with one I got from the Dell outlet a couple months back:

I picked up a mini-DP to mini-DP cable to hook my 2010 MacBook Pro up to it, and I can't get it to display at full resolution. I'm not at home right now, and I don't remember what it does offer me, but when I first plug it in, it looks like I get 2560x1600 for a split second, then it goes black, and then comes back switched down to a lower resolution.

I get full resolution from my PC hooked up with DVI or DP, and I've ordered a mini-DP to DP cable for my mac, to try and narrow down what the issue is. I haven't had any trouble before with the port on my mac, but I've never tried to drive anything at this resolution before.

My question is this: Anyone run into this problem before? Is it more likely that I got a bad mini-DP cable, or could this be a problem with the mini-DP connector/input on the monitor itself?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

About $800, I'm tempted to pick one up for that price.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

jkyuusai posted:

According to Lightning Drops, the U2312HM is at its lowest price ever on Amazon at $180. I just bought two. :negative:

So I feel like a chump for buying this straight off the Dell site (I had no idea what I was thinking). It's still unopened in my apartment, so now I'm working through the Dell refund process while I get the same thing off Amazon for half the price.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Newegg has the U3014 for $850 today.

...God damnit. That's 50$ cheaper than the one I bought from them a month or so back. Oh well.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

GokieKS posted:

Yeah, if you don't need the stuff that it's missing, the U2412M is an good affordable no-frills monitor. The only hesitation I have in recommending it is that the ASUS PA248Q can often be found for around the same price (at least in the US - I paid $300 for my U2412M and $270 I think for my PA248Q), and it does have those features which are nice to have if not necessities. Dell does have a better defect policy, but that can be mitigated depending on the retailer you buy it from.

So after looking through them the PA248Q definitely seems like the best value. Right now it's listed on Amazon at $318 and Newegg at $302 after rebate card.

With Black Friday coming up it seems worth waiting, but I wanted to see if anyone had any idea of what price I should really be looking for to jump on.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I got my U2412M on sale for $250 so I guess that skewed my perception of the value vs. the ASUS. Does the ASUS have a comparable stand to the U2412M? I always love the Dell stands.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm not sure how familiar this thread is with Nvidia's upcoming Gsync, but for me it sounds like something I would really like to have in my monitor.

I'll soon have money for a new monitor and would like to get either a ASUS VG248QE with Gsync when it comes out early next year, or go for an IPS and get a Dell UltraSharp U2312HM.

I'm having trouble deciding because I'm mainly using my PC for gaming and I don't know whether I would prefer would Asus offers over better colors. I like the idea of better colors/IPS but I also like the idea of Gsync as tearing really annoys me in games.

In my position, which would you guys pick?

Also waiting for those do-it-yourself Gsync kits to come out is out of the question as I don't want to mess around with opening up a monitor.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Wait and see on Gsync. I'm as excited about it as the next guy (Because gently caress tearing and odd FPS lurching), but don't buy anything yet if you're specifically interested in getting a monitor that supports it. Who knows if/when the DIY upgrade kits for the vg248 are going to come out vs the monitor with gsync built in itself. Asus themselves might also bring out some IPS models incorporating Gsync modules. It would seem a natural marriage, given the upmarket nature of IPS screens anyhow.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
Anybody have any experience with 20"-24" touchscreen monitors in the 1920x1080 resolution?

I'm looking for something with 10-point multi-touch

Looking at the following Dell monitors but open to suggestions.

Dell 22 Monitor - S2240T
Dell 23 Monitor - P2314T
Dell 23 Monitor - S2340T

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
I have the 21.5" version of this monitor, I've been looking to get something bigger. The monitor has performed admirably for me to date.

Is there a reason I should get the Dell IPS 23 over this, considering the price?

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/106962/newegg---23.6-asus-ve247h-led-lcd-monitor

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
For anybody else nutty enough to try out the Seiki SE39UY04 39" 4K TV as a monitor like I have, be advised that it appears to use an alternate subpixel layout, most likely BGR instead of RGB. This means Windows users will need to run the "Adjust ClearType text" wizard to get fonts to render properly.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Zorilla posted:

For anybody else nutty enough to try out the Seiki SE39UY04 39" 4K TV as a monitor like I have, be advised that it appears to use an alternate subpixel layout, most likely BGR instead of RGB. This means Windows users will need to run the "Adjust ClearType text" wizard to get fonts to render properly.

All I did was turn sharpness to 0 and didn't have to adjust cleartype.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

BitterAvatar posted:

So after looking through them the PA248Q definitely seems like the best value. Right now it's listed on Amazon at $318 and Newegg at $302 after rebate card.

With Black Friday coming up it seems worth waiting, but I wanted to see if anyone had any idea of what price I should really be looking for to jump on.

For a while both the U2412M and PA248Q were available for $280 or less. Whether or not waiting for the lowest price is worth it is up to you - personally I think it's a good deal at $300 or less and wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I needed a monitor at that price.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

kloa posted:

All I did was turn sharpness to 0 and didn't have to adjust cleartype.

Sharpness is a completely separate issue and works by adding contour to neighboring pixels. It has no place on a computer display running at native resolution, so of course, you turn that off.

ClearType works by antialiasing text on a subpixel level. The downside is, by default, it assumes you're using a display with an RGB subpixel layout. If subpixels are in the wrong order, you end up with antialiasing being applied to the wrong place. This can manifest itself as text with blurry edges, often with green or purple artifacting.

This misconfiguration doesn't look like the worst thing on the planet, but you should at least try running the ClearType wizard. It definitely made things sharper and more legible for me on my Seiki.

This is the first comparison the ClearType wizard throws up (seen below). If the text on the right looks better, that means your screen has a BGR subpixel layout and not RGB.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 26, 2013

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

jkyuusai posted:

Is this a decent monitor for gaming? I have been reading mixed reviews. My monitor died today and am looking for a new one somewhere in the 21"-23" range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

dms666 posted:

Is this a decent monitor for gaming? I have been reading mixed reviews. My monitor died today and am looking for a new one somewhere in the 21"-23" range.

Yes. Unless you really want 120/144Hz monitor, it has both low input lag and good image quality.

And as a follow-up to my previous post, Amazon has the U2412M for $270 right now.