Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Do you guys have any new minimalist theme recommendations? I've been using mnlt2 for a while but I've been getting bored of it. Deviantart doesn't seem have many themes for fb2k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Does fb2k have any good plugins or features to play online radio streams? Not just last.fm but other ones like shoutcast? I played with it about 2 years ago and it didn't really seem to have anything usable.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

Daynab posted:

Does fb2k have any good plugins or features to play online radio streams? Not just last.fm but other ones like shoutcast? I played with it about 2 years ago and it didn't really seem to have anything usable.

i just have standard input installed, and it seems to work fine with shoutcasts. I have listened to the 1.44mbit PCM feed on KEXP.org just fine. Only problem for me is, it doesn't give any status or feedback, so it's not clear what's going on when it's buffering.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Daynab posted:

You can add the location manually or drag and drop a .pls/.m3u and it should work. If you want something like Spotify then you are probably out of luck.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Do either of those show for example the song/album playing when using a stream? That's the main thing I need.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Daynab posted:

Do either of those show for example the song/album playing when using a stream? That's the main thing I need.
They can, but tagging in streams is a morass of bad standards and worse implementations. I get tags when streaming both mp3 and aac from soma.fm for example. I don't get tags on the WMA stream from my local radio, but neither does WMP or winamp so probably they just aren't sending tags at all. I think most of the time if the stream is sending tags, foobar will catch them correctly.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
Does anyone know of a way I can sync my songbird playcounts with a (new) install of f2k? Songbird is utter trash but I kept the dream alive for a while (too long)

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

BANME.sh posted:

So mnlt2 is a pretty nice, basic theme for anyone looking for a minimal foobar:

http://fanco86.deviantart.com/art/Mnlt2-183867648

It works great right out of the box with basically zero configuration required. A little bit of work is needed if you want to add extra tabs to the top, but nothing crazy.

There's also a mod of it that has some extra stuff. Both look pretty nice.

I combined pieces from the original and the mod version, ending up with:

I realise this is from a while back, but does anyone have a local copy of the mnlt2 mod? The author seems to have deactivated his account and I lost my copy due to the death of a HDD.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Is there a way to "fix" the volume of a too-quiet song?

Not exactly a foobar specific question but I am using foobar if there's a foobar specific answer.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Dodoman posted:

I realise this is from a while back, but does anyone have a local copy of the mnlt2 mod? The author seems to have deactivated his account and I lost my copy due to the death of a HDD.

I stapled them to Dropbox the last time someone asked, they might still be in there?

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Yip Yips posted:

Is there a way to "fix" the volume of a too-quiet song?

Not exactly a foobar specific question but I am using foobar if there's a foobar specific answer.

Replaygain is what you want. You should run this against all your music (it will alter tags). Select a bunch of tracks, then Right click -> Replaygain - Scan selection as albums (by tags).

Then is Preferences -> Playback set the ReplayGain source mode to either track or album.

Then all your music will play at the same volume no matter how it was mastered.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

ledge posted:

Replaygain is what you want. You should run this against all your music (it will alter tags). Select a bunch of tracks, then Right click -> Replaygain - Scan selection as albums (by tags).

Then is Preferences -> Playback set the ReplayGain source mode to either track or album.

Then all your music will play at the same volume no matter how it was mastered.

Neat, thanks!

Is there a way to directly edit the RG for any given song? I see it listed in the file properties but can't edit it. An academic question for now.

Yip Yips fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 7, 2013

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Sure is. First you need to go to File -> Preferences -> Display -> Context Menu then expand the ReplayGain section and tick the Edit ReplayGain information box. Then you can right-click files and select ReplayGain -> Edit ReplayGain information.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Much appreciated.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

YggiDee posted:

I stapled them to Dropbox the last time someone asked, they might still be in there?

Yessss this worked perfectly. Much appreciated.

Tapeta
Aug 31, 2004
Ekaru Hoppa Do Pe Tapeta
Does anyone remember a plugin that gave you customizable tray icons that let you do play, stop, next etc? Winamp has this natively, and I swear I had a plugin to do the same years ago when I last used it, but I can't for anything find that plugin again.

It's not Advancedcontrol, that thing is terrible and tiny.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tapeta posted:

Does anyone remember a plugin that gave you customizable tray icons that let you do play, stop, next etc? Winamp has this natively, and I swear I had a plugin to do the same years ago when I last used it, but I can't for anything find that plugin again.

It's not Advancedcontrol, that thing is terrible and tiny.
If there was one it probably wouldn't work anymore since plugin compatibility has changed a few times over the years. There's a taskbar deskband thing which you could set up to just show the controls alone, that would be functionally identical to what you want.

Windows 7 shell integration puts controls into the main taskbar pop-up, that's what I personally like to use (actually most of the time I use keyboard globals, but whatev).

And UI_Hacks can do a cool thing where middle clicking the tray icon is play/pause and using a mouse forward & back buttons on it change the track.

Tapeta
Aug 31, 2004
Ekaru Hoppa Do Pe Tapeta

Klyith posted:

If there was one it probably wouldn't work anymore since plugin compatibility has changed a few times over the years. There's a taskbar deskband thing which you could set up to just show the controls alone, that would be functionally identical to what you want.

Windows 7 shell integration puts controls into the main taskbar pop-up, that's what I personally like to use (actually most of the time I use keyboard globals, but whatev).

And UI_Hacks can do a cool thing where middle clicking the tray icon is play/pause and using a mouse forward & back buttons on it change the track.

Yeah, I just found it (It was foo_remote with tbar_foo that added the functionality), but it doesn't work.

The other options aren't as appealing, but i'll try them out anyway.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I have a problem with some lecture audio files, specifically the wide range of volume between the professor whispering and shouting. Dude is really enthusiastic about history, and turns all his lectures into miniature one-man dramas. It's probably fun live, but the recordings are just plain annoying.

Anyway, I figured a compressor might do the trick, but the one plugin I found makes it sound really weird (artefacts). Maybe there's a built-in function like ReplayGain that could compress the peaks to an average?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

midnightclimax posted:

I have a problem with some lecture audio files, specifically the wide range of volume between the professor whispering and shouting. Dude is really enthusiastic about history, and turns all his lectures into miniature one-man dramas. It's probably fun live, but the recordings are just plain annoying.

Anyway, I figured a compressor might do the trick, but the one plugin I found makes it sound really weird (artefacts). Maybe there's a built-in function like ReplayGain that could compress the peaks to an average?

You could try running the audio files through something like Audacity and using the normalize function. It'd be a little more of a pain than having a foobar plugin that operates on playback, however.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Neither ReplayGain or a normal normalizer are what you want. They're both just adjusting the overall gain, or volume level, on audio that you want to keep the range of. A compressor is kinda what you want, but it operates on too small of a timescale.

A tool meant for the purpose is Levelator. It was made for podcasters, so exactly the same idea. You'll have to de-encode the audio to waves and re-encode it after, but speech can take a couple of degrades without problem.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

hooah posted:

You could try running the audio files through something like Audacity and using the normalize function. It'd be a little more of a pain than having a foobar plugin that operates on playback, however.

Klyith posted:

Neither ReplayGain or a normal normalizer are what you want. They're both just adjusting the overall gain, or volume level, on audio that you want to keep the range of. A compressor is kinda what you want, but it operates on too small of a timescale.

A tool meant for the purpose is Levelator. It was made for podcasters, so exactly the same idea. You'll have to de-encode the audio to waves and re-encode it after, but speech can take a couple of degrades without problem.

I tried both methods, and had a little bit more luck normalizing and compressing (using really aggressive settings) with Audacity. Levelator is more user-friendly though, so I'll try it with other lectures. Thanks all!

SMP
May 5, 2009

So foobar is reading a bunch of mixtapes I've downloaded as being by "various artists". Anytime I try to remove the various artists entry from the "Album Artist" tag it looks like it updates the files, but they remain tagged as various artists. How do I fix this?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
When that happens to me I remove them from foobar and add them again. That usually fixes it.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Geemer posted:

ledge posted:

Also, I remember reading at some point that the playback order settings are not accessible via the API so someone couldn't even make a plugin to fix this.
gently caress, why would they even do this?
Misconception. See SDK/playlist.h:

code:
class NOVTABLE playlist_manager : public service_base
{
public:

//! Retrieves number of available playback order modes.
	virtual t_size playback_order_get_count() = 0;
	//! Retrieves name of specified playback order move.
	//! @param p_index Index of playback order mode to query, from 0 to playback_order_get_count() return value - 1.
	//! @returns Null-terminated UTF-8 encoded string containing name of the playback order mode. Returned pointer points to statically allocated string and can be safely stored without having to free it later.
	virtual const char * playback_order_get_name(t_size p_index) = 0;
	//! Retrieves GUID of specified playback order mode. Used for managing playback modes without relying on names.
	//! @param p_index Index of playback order mode to query, from 0 to playback_order_get_count() return value - 1.
	virtual GUID playback_order_get_guid(t_size p_index) = 0;
	//! Retrieves index of active playback order mode.
	virtual t_size playback_order_get_active() = 0;
	//! Sets index of active playback order mode.
	virtual void playback_order_set_active(t_size p_index) = 0;

};
The playlist_callback service also provides functions to notify when the user changes the current playback order.

What was actually removed, as of version 0.9, was the ability to declare your own playback order controller services. How playback order is determined was changed significantly with 0.9, and the author decided it wasn't worth exposing that interface to the public any more. Also, the only real playback order component that was lost was my shuffle component, which was replaced by internal functionality.

Speaking of which, Peter's shuffle code is significantly different in style from my shuffler. Mine had to implement a tracks played history so that the Skip Back button worked, and used that to pick the tracks on the fly without colliding with tracks in the history list. I'm not sure whether his implements the back history on its own, or if it's part of the player, but his also picks out the entire future list of tracks ahead of time. The current shuffler maintains that list of tracks, modifying it along with the playlist, and clearing and regenerating it if you click the Random button.

Carnage
Sep 27, 2002
I've been using foobar for quite some time and after reading through this thread, my set up seems pretty bland. I mostly have it on in the background and just listen to whatever plays but do skip things from time to time. I have a few playlists depending on my mood but other than that, this thing is always running.

I've had it in the 3 digit range before a crash that just happened. So this is pathetic.

Tried not to break the tables, sorry if I did.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

With the news of Winamp on its death-throws I guess it's finally time for me to look into foobar seriously. The only thing that has been holding me back is a plugin I use for Winamp that I really like and would like to replicate in foobar if possible. I know foobar has a VST wrapper but I don't know where to start looking for a VST plugin that does what Enhancer does (http://codecpack.co/download/Enhancer.html).

Any ideas?

Update: I was able to find a solution for this.

Installed this.
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Components/Winamp_DSP_Bridge_%28foo_dsp_winamp%29
With a version of the winamp plugin after it was fixed for Windows registry errors. But before it was upgraded to only work with Winamp 5.x
http://nunzioweb.com/daz/enhancer/index.html Version 0.8

Da Mott Man fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Nov 21, 2013

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
As another Winamp refugee, does anybody know where to find Milkdrop for Foobar? The DL links in the OP are dead.

Edit: Nevermind, found it. If anybody is as dumb as me just check the next page in the linked forum.

damn horror queefs fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 23, 2013

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Winamp.com is closing but there's no reason why you can't continue to use the application. Sure there won't be any new updates, but if it's working for you now then no big deal.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
Winamp has sucked since winamp 3 anyway

Reive
May 21, 2009

There's one thing I really want in foobar to make it perfect, a simple shuffle toggle button, the same function as playback->order->shuffle (tracks) but as a toggle button next to the play/pause/etc buttons.

Any ideas about how to make that?

Traveller In Time
Apr 4, 2009

You got anything to eat? I haven't eaten anything since later this afternoon.
Is it at all possible to have two separate installs of Foobar? I have a nice thing going with my current set-up but wouldn't mind having another to play around with occasionally, without the fear of breaking everything. I'm using the newest stable version (1.2.9), if that information is necessary.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Traveller In Time posted:

Is it at all possible to have two separate installs of Foobar? I have a nice thing going with my current set-up but wouldn't mind having another to play around with occasionally, without the fear of breaking everything. I'm using the newest stable version (1.2.9), if that information is necessary.

Just run the 1.2.9 installer again and pick the portable installation option.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Reive posted:

There's one thing I really want in foobar to make it perfect, a simple shuffle toggle button, the same function as playback->order->shuffle (tracks) but as a toggle button next to the play/pause/etc buttons.

Any ideas about how to make that?

Look in the top right corner. All you have to do is right click on the toolbar and select "Playback Order". It's not a simple on/off, but it's really just as fast.

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 26, 2013

Reive
May 21, 2009

Fangs404 posted:

Look in the top right corner. All you have to do is right click on the toolbar and select "Playback Order". It's not a simple on/off, but it's really just as fast.

Thanks, this is much better!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Why can't I play this soundtrack that's encoded in .aac? It doesn't even show up in my library at all.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Why can't I play this soundtrack that's encoded in .aac? It doesn't even show up in my library at all.
If the files are bare AAC, foobar can be really picky if out-of-spec things have been done to them. For example, id3 tags. You're not actually supposed to put id3 tags on a bare AAC with no container. A lot of tagging software will do it, and many music players will play it anyways. But foobar reads the "illegal" id3 tag as corrupt data.

The general solution is to re-package the aac files into mp4 files with a tool like mp4box.

(I can't tell you specifically what's wrong with that soundtrack because the zip file was downloading at 20k/s for me)

edit: oh wait the other common reason this can happen is that the files actually are MP4 files already but someone has set the extension to .aac instead. I think that's what your problem is, that produces the "won't even add to the playlist" result. Try renaming them to either .mp4 or .m4a and see if they work.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 26, 2013

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
I managed to get ratings working using these instructions, but is there a way to make the shuffle play higher rated songs more often, lower rated ones less often and so on?

Guerrand
Mar 12, 2006

RING RING RING RING RING RING
You can't configure the shuffle, no. But you can create an autoplaylist with a query like
code:
(%rating% IS 3 AND NOT %last_played% DURING LAST 9 WEEKS) OR (%rating% IS 4 AND NOT %last_played% DURING LAST 4 WEEKS) OR (%rating% IS 5 AND NOT %last_played% DURING LAST 2 WEEKS)
So that higher rated tracks reappear sooner on the playlist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Guerrand posted:

You can't configure the shuffle, no. But you can create an autoplaylist with a query like
code:
(%rating% IS 3 AND NOT %last_played% DURING LAST 9 WEEKS) OR (%rating% IS 4 AND NOT %last_played% DURING LAST 4 WEEKS) OR (%rating% IS 5 AND NOT %last_played% DURING LAST 2 WEEKS)
So that higher rated tracks reappear sooner on the playlist.
OK, so I did some messing around with autoplaylists and that playback statistics plugin (which makes those rating instructions obsolete I guess) and I think I have it figured out now, thanks.

Edit: One annoying thing though is that it'll remove songs from the playlist as soon the "Last played" info is updated, even if they're currently being played, which makes it annoying to find them. Is there some kind of expression I can throw in there to make them at least stick around until they've finished playing?

Lork fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 1, 2013

• Locked thread