Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
He looks like Kim Jong il at the beach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
The Headless Horseman is actually the biblical Horseman of Death who is actually a butthurt "nice guy" from the 18th century transformed by german cultist soldiers and greek witches. He is also a loose cannon and managed to gently caress up the apocalypse in his personal quest to take revenge on the jock who stole his girl and Moloch has to lock said girl into an extra dimensional prison to keep him in line because otherwise he would ride off into the sunset with her soul, diabolical obligations be damned. He fights with a smallsword, superheated axe, shotgun and assault rifle and is served by a seemingly unlimited number of German paramilitary cultists, some witches and John Cho, Zombie Intern, who spends every moment that he's not directly possessed/mind-controlled double crossing his boss or complaining about his job to other undead/demons.

Somebody actually said "sure, go ahead" when a writer pitched that and there's 5 episodes to go in this season alone:allears:

Conquest being a monster of the week with some afterlife plague and not involving the fact that he's clearly Genghis Khan felt a bit disappointing after the headless shotgun guy though.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Has any body asked Ichabod to put a John Hancock on something yet, I'm waiting for it.

gently caress it give him a history book and watch him go nuts for an hour. It'd be great.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

[quote="Asehujiko"post="422187900"]Conquest being a monster of the week with some afterlife plague and not involving the fact that he's clearly Genghis Khan felt a bit disappointing after the headless shotgun guy though.
[/quote]

I'm not worried - I'm sure that was merely the introduction of Conquest. He'll be back.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Xealot posted:

I have to suspend my disbelief more when it comes to Ichabod's socially progressive politics re: women and non-white people.

You can find plenty of writings from hundreds of years ago that would still be considered politically progressive today. It'd be unusual, but Crane's politics aren't terribly unbelievable or anything.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Xealot posted:

I have to suspend my disbelief more when it comes to Ichabod's socially progressive politics re: women and non-white people. And personal hygiene. Ichabod would probably be pretty gross. Notions like fluoride toothpaste, deodorant, and daily bathing are pretty 20th century inventions.

I think if it ever comes up, he will be behind on issues such as sexuality and gender identity. Not because it wasn't an issue, but it was a much more behind closed doors/you die if you reveal it thing in his time.

Of course, they probably wouldn't keep him ignorant. Just long enough for him to get back on the side of progress and see some evolution.

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'
Hey guys, I just want to come in to say that this show is absolutely amazing, and I am thanking/blaming you for getting me into it. I just binged through the 8 episodes, and tomorrow night can't come fast enough.

What time does it usually air?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Doublehex posted:

What time does it usually air?

9/8central.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
How are the ratings doing? I do not want this canceled. It's the only new show that I actually look forward to watching.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SyRauk posted:

How are the ratings doing? I do not want this canceled. It's the only new show that I actually look forward to watching.

It's fine. Already renewed for a second season. Though it will only have 13 episode seasons like cable.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Deadpool posted:

It's fine. Already renewed for a second season. Though it will only have 13 episode seasons like cable.

The ratings better then fine actually, its a bonafide hit.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Nov 25, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Zythrst posted:

Better then fine actually its a bonafide hit.

Hey, you should use grammar, punctuation, and complete sentences.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Zythrst posted:

The ratings better then fine actually, its a bonafide hit.

Swing and a miss.

Tonight is an MoTW episode. The gang gets in some haunted house shenanigans with special guest star Katrina(because really, she hasn't earned that main character billing just yet).

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Deadpool posted:

It's really rare for a show to be able to maintain quality and pacing over 20+ episode seasons, so I'm fine with this.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Paradoxish posted:

It's really rare for a show to be able to maintain quality and pacing over 20+ episode seasons, so I'm fine with this.

Twin Peaks, of all shows, was killed by a 22 episode order. You would think execs would have taken notice in the past 20+ years! Only a few of them have.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I'd love it if they kept it at 13 per season. If they get the 7 seasons they want, that'd give them more than they need for syndication, and keep the pace as breakneck as it has been, which I've really liked.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I don't know if this show can last for seven seasons, honestly. As much as I love it-- 91 episodes? I just don't want this show to be a shell of itself, like the latter seasons of the X-Files.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

escape artist posted:

I don't know if this show can last for seven seasons, honestly. As much as I love it-- 91 episodes? I just don't want this show to be a shell of itself, like the latter seasons of the X-Files.

I'd like it if it went down the "sitcom" path. That is, 1 is a trial, 2-3 are great, 4-5 are middling at best, 6 is somewhat of a return to form, and 7 has failures, but ends on a high note, making the ride worthwhile.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

escape artist posted:

I really don't think it's the number of episodes that make a show bad, just the density of episodes over time. It's not that a show can't run for 7 seasons without becoming lovely - Mad Men is entering its 7th, and is at least 80% as good as it's ever been. But when a show's super popular, and the writers need to bust out a back 9, then maintain 22-24 hourlong episode orders every year....yeah, it can start to suck really fast. Even Glee didn't suck at first; it had a pretty great first 13-episode season (it was pretty much Election: The Series.) But with six 24-episode seasons over 5 years...sure, now it's terrible.

Not that I'm suggesting Sleepy Hollow will definitely maintain quality. Maybe it'll start to suck. But it's way more likely to stay interesting if they stick to 13-episode runs and space out seasons for the writers to breathe. It's always better to have way too many ideas than can fit in the show, than to struggle to fill out the season with the ideas they do have. Besides, it's exploitative B-horror. It's basically a higher-budget Supernatural...and even Supernatural is still kind of fun despite having a billion episodes. Nobody's expecting Breaking Bad with time travel here.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I just don't know how many ancient demons we can watch Ichabod and Abbie destroy before it gets boring. And I don't want to know. But I still worry about the quality, it's only natural.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

escape artist posted:

I just don't know how many ancient demons we can watch Ichabod and Abbie destroy before it gets boring. And I don't want to know. But I still worry about the quality, it's only natural.

Not just demons, witches too. :witch: And germans trying to summon demons. :hitler: So far they've been pretty successful. The show could have them fail occasionally. The doomsday clock gets one tick closer to apocalypse o'clock.

I think Supernatural did something like that. There were supposed to be X signs before thing happened. There were X+Y total events that could become signs. So they managed to block some, but some got by, keeping the tension up as to whether they'd block enough to prevent the bad thing.

The last couple episodes have kind of been a wash in terms of advancing the apocalypse. The horseman is back and looking for his head. He needs his head to ride in the apocalypse. We captured the horseman. The horseman escaped. The horseman is back and looking for his head. -- Lots happened, but we didn't get any closer or farther from the endgame.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

escape artist posted:

That'd get super boring after a while, it's true. But nobody said they have to always do the same stuff. There's time travel, different dimensions, magic. There are secret societies and all sorts of weird apocryphal history. The show started by asking us to take a headless dude with a shotgun seriously as a villain. They can totally go for broke...turn Ichabod into a sorcerer, send Abbie to medieval England for some Army of Darkness poo poo, who cares?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Xealot posted:

That'd get super boring after a while, it's true. But nobody said they have to always do the same stuff. There's time travel, different dimensions, magic. There are secret societies and all sorts of weird apocryphal history. The show started by asking us to take a headless dude with a shotgun seriously as a villain. They can totally go for broke...turn Ichabod into a sorcerer, send Abbie to medieval England for some Army of Darkness poo poo, who cares?

Oh man, a road trip to the UK would be awesome. Airplanes! Taking off your shoes for airport security! They could visit London, Oxford, all the sights. His childhood home probably still exists, but has been turned into flats or a tacky hotel or something.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Angela Christine posted:

Oh man, a road trip to the UK would be awesome. Airplanes! Taking off your shoes for airport security!

Yeah, how would that work? He woke up from a 200 year cryo-sleep, so he wouldn't be an American or British citizen. Good luck getting through TSA, Crane! Good luck...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Xealot posted:

Yeah, how would that work? He woke up from a 200 year cryo-sleep, so he wouldn't be an American or British citizen. Good luck getting through TSA, Crane! Good luck...

Don't crush my dreams. :(

Maybe they could go to DC to retrieve a secret document from a hidden compartment on the washington monument?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Xealot posted:

Actually technically Crane would be a US citizen... if he could prove he was a resident prior to the founding of the country.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The hessians report Crane as an illegal immigrant. ICE deports him and evil triumphs.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

This week on Sleepy Hollow: Murderhouse.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ichabod at the drive-thru :allears:

Edit: THE TRUTH ABOUT THANKSGIVING YES.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Crane in the drive through!

He doesn't like our Thanksgiving either.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
As if a McMuffin isn't a strict improvement on Scottish food.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This guy and H. G. Wells should compare notes.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

escape artist posted:

Chupacabra steals Washington's bible and they have to team up with El Santo to get it back.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Haha Crane harshing on Thanksgiving.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Aww, Icchy's lonely.

...yeah, never calling him Icchy again.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lay down the fuckin' law about Thanksgiving. Hell yeah.

I love when this show makes fun of Popular History.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Billion! :monocle:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Haha Billion just blew Crane's mind.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I don't know about 18th century Scottish food, but considering most notable modern Scottish dishes are fried to hell and back, it's not that far off considering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh man, Ichabod and the economy.

• Locked thread