Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ulfhednar posted:

Caught this on tumblr, the story is a bit oddly worded, but the pictures do most of the talking:

That poor Hudson :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Falken posted:

Yeah this. I've been having to spray down the car daily. Our salt spreaders are putting down WAY too loving much. You can see it all embedded into tyre treads, on the roofs of cars...

Saw at least 4 cars yesterday that had so much salt and muck sprayed up their backs you couldn't see their lights or reg plates.

This was my car last year

I hosed that off as soon as I could.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

FogHelmut posted:

The worst part is that it's not the salt that you see that's gonna really gently caress you, it's the salt that you don't see. It's tucked up under some lip or seam and it's gonna fester in there. When it gets wet it's going to stay drat longer and eat slowly, relentlessly into the paint, into the galvanization, and into the metal itself. You won't find it until it's too late. gently caress SALT.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

trouser chili posted:

The worst part is that it's not the salt that you see that's gonna really gently caress you, it's the salt that you don't see. It's tucked up under some lip or seam and it's gonna fester in there. When it gets wet it's going to stay drat longer and eat slowly, relentlessly into the paint, into the galvanization, and into the metal itself. You won't find it until it's too late. gently caress SALT.

Agreed.

Rust is literally car cancer and salt is a car carcinogen.

The best thing you can do is make sure you flush out the bottoms of the doors (IE remove the door cards and hose the insides of the bottoms of the doors out, without hitting everything else in them.) Also do the lower quarters, all the little fender lips (inside lips, where that poo poo actually festers, cleaning the outside does almost nothing), the rockers, the trunk area, the subframe rails... every low spot where salty water can collect.

Preferably, get all those spots filled with waxoyl or some similar product before it ever sees salt or even a wet road.

Hell a lot of the time floorboards don't rust out from the outside - they rot from the inside, because you get in your car with wet feet or snow covered feet all the time. Where do you think that water goes? It soaks down through the carpet and saturates the jute padding and festers forever.

Spot weld seams are also bad... but which seam is the problem seam depends on the car in question.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I live in California. Which states do I never travel to when it's not summer?

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

I live in California. Which states do I never travel to when it's not summer?

All of the rest of them, stay there. TIA.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I'm pretty sure Washington and Oregon don't salt the roads so it doesn't gently caress up the ecosystem or some such thing. A good side effect is that it also means cars last forever just like in CA.
The rest of the states I have no idea. If it snows you probably want to stay away in the winter.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
Someone compiled this map:

Though it says California uses salt, I'm pretty sure I've never heard of it there.

Looks like if you drove directly through the Four Corners monument at a NE angle, you could do a coast-to-coast trip salt-free!

e: ah crap forgot about the Oklahoma panhandle. Sorry buddy, enjoy, uh, Tuscon.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
What does ND use, then???

The worst salt use I've seen was two trucks going side by side up a dry hill in above freezing temperatures at least 24 hours before the forecast called for snow.

I think this town has gotten over zealous after a blizzard came through a few years ago, they called on all the independent snow plow drivers to help, then stiffed them all when it came time to pay. The next year a big storm hit, no one helped the city, and we were stuck driving over packed snow on the roads for weeks while every other county managed to clear the roads within 48 hours.

Now? Preemptive saltings. Woo!

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

este posted:

Someone compiled this map:

Georgia uses sand and occasionally fine gravel. But on average it only gets used one day every couple of years or so.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah the preemptive salting is exceedingly annoying. They just dump it all over as soon as it starts dipping below freezing, even though it's undoubtedly going to rain a bit when it's above zero and all that salt is going to just wash right into the rivers. Then when it actually snows, they've wasted half the salt budget on poisoning the gulf of mexico.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Uthor posted:

My area of PA has gone to brining. Now you have a bunch of quarry wet down trucks driving around spraying car cancer all over the place if the forecast predicts precipitation anywhere close to or below freezing.

It doesn't seem to help at all.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Uthor posted:

The worst salt use I've seen was two trucks going side by side up a dry hill in above freezing temperatures at least 24 hours before the forecast called for snow.

I think this town has gotten over zealous after a blizzard came through a few years ago, they called on all the independent snow plow drivers to help, then stiffed them all when it came time to pay. The next year a big storm hit, no one helped the city, and we were stuck driving over packed snow on the roads for weeks while every other county managed to clear the roads within 48 hours.

Nobody lives in north dakota, it's a completely barren plain.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Nothing. You are on your own.

(I'm pretty sure they don't use salt though)

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles
Looks like I'm about to go through a New York winter in a 1999 Z28. Preemptive saltings are my lifesaver.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?
My company salts the parking lot like crazy. I should have a talk with them.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Everywhere I've lived in CT they didn't actually use a lot of salt, just sand. Since it's pretty much swampland here, if they salted they'd kill practically all the flora in sight. However, the sand tends to be extremely ineffective, especially once covered up with fresh snow/ice.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Uthor posted:

From my time up there, most cities just sand. Some businesses salt parking lots and sidewalks, and the DOT apparently does use salt on the highways, although I never saw anything except sand being used.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

Nobody lives in north dakota, it's a completely barren plain.

This isnt technically correct, yet exactly correct.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why the gently caress did they bother including hawaii in that map? Was someone really that anal?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

Why the gently caress did they bother including hawaii in that map? Was someone really that anal?

It snows in Hawaii, no bullshit.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

FogHelmut posted:

That's my car every winter. It's also going on 11 years old and every single body panel is rusting away :(

Sunshine Mix
Jun 11, 2009

azflyboy posted:

From my time up there, most cities just sand. Some businesses salt parking lots and sidewalks, and the DOT apparently does use salt on the highways, although I never saw anything except sand being used.

Absolutely correct. Personally, I've never seen salt on any road, including the interstate. It's presumed that you know how to handle the wintry roads.

I now live in Minnesota and got rust inside of one winter. Softies in this state.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
They are using beet juice here in Vermont. I love this ridiculous hippy state.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

`Nemesis posted:

That's my car every winter. It's also going on 11 years old and every single body panel is rusting away :(
It'll be worse than that... your sills will look like a kit-kat that was put in the microwave.

My car gets taken off the road as soon as the salt gets thrown around, but there's still a couple rust spots from what I assume were stubborn PO's. I intend to take it to a body shop and get the damage sorted, then a vinyl wrap.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

trouser chili posted:

We only really get salt about 3 or 4 times a year. I hose it off with the pressure washer on top and underneath, then run it through the car wash with the undercarriage deal. My last car made it 12 or 13 years before it got rust. That was in the rocker, which when I poked my finger through and made a hole, found that it had filled up with sand and dirt.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

So, I had the fortune to go to the Tokyo motor show. Among all the awesome, I found this gem at the Toyota area.

Yes, it's denim or something so close to it I couldn't tell it apart by feel alone. The body under it is some black protective coat. Most of the inside is also denim with a couple bits that looked like leather but I didn't feel like fighting to get inside.

This just raises questions for me. For example, does it shrink in a summer shower? Do you take it to a carwash or laundry matt? Is it for sale? It had a price sticker on it for what would be about $27k USD, however googling comes up basically empty.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

That is loving dope!

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Motronic posted:

My area of PA has gone to brining. Now you have a bunch of quarry wet down trucks driving around spraying car cancer all over the place if the forecast predicts precipitation anywhere close to or below freezing.

It doesn't seem to help at all.

Is that what I'm seeing when instead of salt, they're laying down a bunch of stripes of something liquid? Maybe it's not as effective in deep ice or super-cold temperatures, but it seems to help keep accumulation off the roads.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Think of it this way. Rust is just an excuse to buy a new car every 6 years or so :p

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

bisticles posted:

Is that what I'm seeing when instead of salt, they're laying down a bunch of stripes of something liquid?

Yep. That's the stuff.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Brining works great for the first 6 hours of a snowfall, then it is worthless.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Not too terrible, just a little odd, saw this Miata the other day driving around, top down, in -17*C weather. (1.4*F for those who prefer Fahrenheit)

If I had a convertible I'd probably try it too.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

If you blast the heat on a miata and drive around in the snow it's actually really pleasant. Not unlike the automotive version of natural hot springs.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

When I had my NA I'd drive around with the top down in cold conditions all the time. The heater on those things is surprisingly powerful, and with a beanie and some gloves it's actually pretty pleasant even in freezing temperatures as long as you aren't on the freeway.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Mazda really tweaks their convertibles to allow for top down driving in the winter. The RX7 convertible was the first to have a movable air dam to block back drafts. It works in the rain too, provided you keep moving :getin:

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
When I was a teenager I had a old Trans Am with T-tops.

You better believe I took those suckers off and cruised around in the winter when it was below freezing.

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

EightBit posted:

Mazda really tweaks their convertibles to allow for top down driving in the winter. The RX7 convertible was the first to have a movable air dam to block back drafts. It works in the rain too, provided you keep moving :getin:

I had an '87 RX-7 convertible. The lower limit is about 18-20MPH before you start to get wet.

I miss that car!

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

razorscooter posted:

It's times like this that I'm glad my state doesn't use a whole lot of road salt, jesus.

Fresno? Just a guess based off the bro truck with bulldog and a double wide in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Spokane, owner really liked the Gonzaga Bulldogs I guess.