Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Huh, so the 290 has a 6 pin and an 8 pin connector, but it looks like I don't have an 8 pin connector on my power supply. It came with a 2x 6 pin to 8 pin converter but the quick start guide that came with it says it "doesn't support" that under the "bad power connection" section. Are they just covering their asses or do I have to buy a new loving power supply or something?

Edit: oh wait, I found the other 2 PCI power connectors in my mess of a case, they're 6 pins but there's like a 2 pin extension thing that you can attach to it to make an 8 pin, I just use that right?

cat doter fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Nov 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

cat doter posted:

Huh, so the 290 has a 6 pin and an 8 pin connector, but it looks like I don't have an 8 pin connector on my power supply. It came with a 2x 6 pin to 8 pin converter but the quick start guide that came with it says it "doesn't support" that under the "bad power connection" section. Are they just covering their asses or do I have to buy a new loving power supply or something?

Edit: oh wait, I found the other 2 PCI power connectors in my mess of a case, they're 6 pins but there's like a 2 pin extension thing that you can attach to it to make an 8 pin, I just use that right?

Yes, the 6 pin pci-e video card powering jobbers have the +2 pin things to make them 8 pin.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah I figured it was fine I just get anxious about dumb poo poo with computers. Power supply fuckery is easily the highest on my list when it comes to computer anxiety. I'd hate to plug in a new GPU then immediately kill it.

I've got it plugged in now but windows is doing some update poo poo so I got out of my stinking hot room. How does the 290 handle heat? I've got summer coming up and I'm not looking forward to the 40+ C temps.

Speaking of computer anxiety, does anyone else have that moment of mild panic when plugging in a new GPU and waiting for your monitor to get a signal? It's always the worst part of upgrading. I've only ever had one DOA GPU too.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

cat doter posted:

Yeah I figured it was fine I just get anxious about dumb poo poo with computers. Power supply fuckery is easily the highest on my list when it comes to computer anxiety. I'd hate to plug in a new GPU then immediately kill it.
You needn't worry about this. They actually shape the plastic stuff around the pins uniquely. It's done on purpose to prevent you from accidentally plugging your CPU 8-pin power cord into your GPU. Or vice-versa.

cat doter posted:

Speaking of computer anxiety, does anyone else have that moment of mild panic when plugging in a new GPU and waiting for your monitor to get a signal? It's always the worst part of upgrading. I've only ever had one DOA GPU too.
Yeah, oh man, yeah.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

td4guy posted:

You needn't worry about this. They actually shape the plastic stuff around the pins uniquely. It's done on purpose to prevent you from accidentally plugging your CPU 8-pin power cord into your GPU. Or vice-versa.

I actually noticed that when plugging it in which made me not quite so unsure.

td4guy posted:

Yeah, oh man, yeah.

Really glad to know I'm not the only one.

My DVI to VGA converter doesn't fit in my new card! I run my TV for big screen gamin in VGA because it's a cheap poo poo TV that has overscan built into the HDMI ports with no 1:1 pixel mode so PC games look like poo poo. I'm not sure I have any adapters that do fit it either. There's always one unpleasant surprise.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
This may be slightly offtopic but I am looking at new monitors for work and found the nvidia page on vision surround. Being a huge fan of the Assassin's Creed series I started salivating at the thought of black flag in a 3 monitor setup. Do you know what sort of setup would be required to drive 1080p 60fps on max or close to max settings with 3 monitors? I was thinking about either a 780 or 780ti but possibly SLI 760s would work better?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I think a 3 monitor setup for black flag would require a pretty insane setup. I get about 30fps on my new r9 290 at full details and 8x MSAA and 1080p. I can get roughly 60fps locked with just SMAA. Black flag pushes hardware way more than you'd think, I could barely push 30fps at 900p with my 560ti.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Byolante posted:

SLI 760s would work better?

Make sure you don't get 2GiB cards, because they will struggle very soon.
That silly ASUS card that has two 2GiB 760s on one card is totally pointless.

Ultimately I don't think SLI for SLI's sake is recommended, though, and in the end you'd be better off getting a bigger and better card. But it's hard to say exactly what to do in this case, since I don't see any performance reviews of Assassin's Creed: Black Flag yet, which would let you know what card is the best for the price.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Nov 26, 2013

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Byolante posted:

This may be slightly offtopic but I am looking at new monitors for work and found the nvidia page on vision surround. Being a huge fan of the Assassin's Creed series I started salivating at the thought of black flag in a 3 monitor setup. Do you know what sort of setup would be required to drive 1080p 60fps on max or close to max settings with 3 monitors? I was thinking about either a 780 or 780ti but possibly SLI 760s would work better?

Black flag is a horrible pc port, so don't expect 60 fps with any set up. Read some reviews. As far as multimonitor support, that's actually where the 290 beats the Ti. Not so much because of the extra memory, but the extra ROPS. I'd wait for a 290 with aftermarket cooler if you plan on going triple monitor.

So I finally got everything back together last night and did some gaming. I can literally turn my fans down to the point that I can't hear them and my temps never go above 45 on crossfired 290x. The vrms get up to around 49. The only noise my pc makes now is the drat water pumps. Which now has me looking into quieter pumps. drat this never ending cycle of upgrades.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Byolante posted:

You know what will work? Two EVGA ACX FTW SC 4GB 760s. :getin:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Black flag is a horrible pc port, so don't expect 60 fps with any set up. Read some reviews. As far as multimonitor support, that's actually where the 290 beats the Ti. Not so much because of the extra memory, but the extra ROPS. I'd wait for a 290 with aftermarket cooler if you plan on going triple monitor.

So I finally got everything back together last night and did some gaming. I can literally turn my fans down to the point that I can't hear them and my temps never go above 45 on crossfired 290x. The vrms get up to around 49. The only noise my pc makes now is the drat water pumps. Which now has me looking into quieter pumps. drat this never ending cycle of upgrades.

If I had my own house, and wanted to build an absolutely ridiculous machine, I think I'd be inclined to punch a hole in the wall for cables, and just have the machine in a spare room, and give up on making it quiet.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

Make sure you don't get 2GiB cards, because they will struggle very soon.
That silly ASUS card that has two 2GiB 760s on one card is totally pointless.

How long does everybody think 3GB cards will last? I was thinking about getting a 780, but with the new consoles having 8GB of unified memory to play with, 3GB kind of scares me.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

pyrotek posted:

How long does everybody think 3GB cards will last? I was thinking about getting a 780, but with the new consoles having 8GB of unified memory to play with, 3GB kind of scares me.

They'll last at least another year or 2. I would guess that the next gen cards will start adding more memory, but the sad truth is that there really aren't that many companies programming pc games these days.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

HalloKitty posted:

If I had my own house, and wanted to build an absolutely ridiculous machine, I think I'd be inclined to punch a hole in the wall for cables, and just have the machine in a spare room, and give up on making it quiet.

That's actually not too far to what I've done in my apartment. :shobon: I used a spare hole that was made for a television cable to run my monitor, speaker and usb cable through. So while my PC is neatly tucked away in the corner of my bedroom closet (where it's cooler) my monitor and such are in the living room where I don't hear anything aside from system beeps.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

Black Flag's issues seem to mainly be the god rays, which on high seem to cause some framerate issues(bumping it down one solves that), and its horrible v-sync solution. Simply disabling these on my R9 290 took it from 40fps to pretty much consistently 63fps (it has a weird hard framerate cap) apart from some microstutters. It's definitely not a great port but there's stuff you can do to help.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
It would be nice if a single card could drive multimonitor due to heat concerns and not having to buy a new mb/psu/cpu and possibly aftermarket coolers if I went with ATI but it seems like I am pretty well painting myself into a multicard corner.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
edit: nm wrong thread.

Question: Are there any new cards coming out that will potentially drive down the price on existing cards?

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 26, 2013

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
We just had a major release within a month, including some major price cuts on current-model cards. So no, not any time soon.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Byolante posted:

It would be nice if a single card could drive multimonitor due to heat concerns and not having to buy a new mb/psu/cpu and possibly aftermarket coolers if I went with ATI but it seems like I am pretty well painting myself into a multicard corner.

The 290 can drive up to 6 monitors if you have the proper connections. A single 290 should be enough for eyefinity in 1080i.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Orange_Lazarus posted:

edit: nm wrong thread.

Question: Are there any new cards coming out that will potentially drive down the price on existing cards?

Nah, that just happened, so it won't be happening again soon. We're at a price bottom right now because AMD brought their game.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Fry's is advertising 3gb GTX 760's...fail?

http://www.frys.com/ads/page13#AdNavi

http://www.frys.com/product/7897309?site=sa:adpages%20page:P13_FRI%20date:112213

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

That is the 192-bit OEM only version which comes in 1.5GB or 3GB configurations.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-760-oem/specifications

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

beejay posted:

That is the 192-bit OEM only version which comes in 1.5GB or 3GB configurations.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-760-oem/specifications

Oh drat!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Aren't those basically just rebranded and slightly redesigned 660Ti cards? I'd have to check their various working bits count to be sure but I definitely recall the 660Ti having a 192-bit memory bus (though nVidia claimed some vague means by which it TOTALLY DIDN'T cause perf issues past 1.5GB, for some reason, that nobody really bought since that's just not how memory buses work).

Edit: Nope, the 660Ti is far and away a better card. I'd recommend staying back from those OEM 760s, specs are not up to standard 760 level.

660 Ti
code:
GPU Engine Specs:
1344 CUDA Cores
915 Base Clock (MHz)
980 Boost Clock (MHz)
102.5 Texture Fill Rate (billion/sec)

Memory Specs:
6.0 Gbps Memory Clock
2048 MB Standard Memory Config
GDDR5 Memory Interface
192-bit GDDR5 Memory Interface Width
144.2 Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec)
760 OEM
code:
GPU Engine Specs:
1152 CUDA Cores
823 Base Clock (MHz)
888 Boost Clock (MHz)
79 Texture Fill Rate (billion/sec)

Memory Specs:
5.8 Gbps Memory Clock
1.5 GB/3 GB Standard Memory Config
GDDR5 Memory Interface
192-bit Memory Interface Width
134 Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec)
Real 760
code:
GTX 760 GPU Engine Specs:
1152 CUDA Cores
980 Base Clock (MHz)
1033 Boost Clock (MHz)
94.1 Texture Fill Rate (billion/sec)

GTX 760 Memory Specs:
6.0 Gbps Memory Speed
2048 MB Standard Memory Config
GDDR5 Memory Interface
256-bit Memory Interface Width
192.2 Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec)
There's also a 760Ti that's OEM only, weird.

760 Ti
code:
GPU Engine Specs:
1344 CUDA Cores
915 Graphics Clock (MHz)
980 Processor Clock (MHz)
102.5 Texture Fill Rate (billion/sec)

Memory Specs:
6.0 Gbps Memory Clock
GDDR5 Memory Interface
2 GB Standard Memory Config
256-bit GDDR5 Memory Interface Width
192.2 Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec)
I'm pretty sure the nVidia site has a typo there, and means Base/Boost clock instead of Graphics and Processor clock... Wonder what pre-builts those cards ship out in. I'd have to look at it's ROP and texture unit count to get a better idea of relative performance.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 26, 2013

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Well, I tried the Unigine Heaven beachmark and got black screened at stock clocks. That was finally the straw the broke the camel's back and I've initiated the RMA process. Newegg agreed to me getting store credit and going with a different maker, so I opted to buy a Powercolor instead (and they'll just credit me back when they get the XFX).

Hopefully everything will go smoothly. :ohdear:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Ghostpilot posted:

Well, I tried the Unigine Heaven beachmark and got black screened at stock clocks. That was finally the straw the broke the camel's back and I've initiated the RMA process. Newegg agreed to me getting store credit and going with a different maker, so I opted to buy a Powercolor instead (and they'll just credit me back when they get the XFX).

Hopefully everything will go smoothly. :ohdear:

I've done the RMA thing, and even the swap thing, with Newegg many times - and they've always been the most pleasant folks to work with this side of Amazon. I wouldn't worry.

And, yeah, failing to run 3D applications is kind of a big deal, being able to do that is sort of a prerequisite qualify as an actual graphics card.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Agreed posted:

I've done the RMA thing, and even the swap thing, with Newegg many times - and they've always been the most pleasant folks to work with this side of Amazon. I wouldn't worry.

And, yeah, failing to run 3D applications is kind of a big deal, being able to do that is sort of a prerequisite qualify as an actual graphics card.

In my...goodness, 12 years of dealing with Newegg, this is my first time having to RMA anything. I wouldn't be concerned, but the issue the card was throwing at me isn't readily replicable and I'm putting myself out on a limb by buying another card and having them credit me when the other one returns.

I don't think it'll be a problem, but right now I'm on the hook for over 800 bucks.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Just temporarily I'm going to try to SLA two 770's on my 620w PSU. Nothing is being overclocked, I just want to see if I can get SLA running and experience it before deciding if I want to keep both cards and invest in a 1000w PSU.

- What happens if things get hairy... does the computer just do a hard reset if the GPUs draw too much, or will worse things happen?

- Is it possible to cap what the cards can draw, like with a combination of underclocking/undervolting?

- For crap like browsing the forums / Windows Explorer, are both cards working half as hard, or is one in a kind of standby while the other does the work?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
SLI, and overloading your PSU can do bad things. Like letting the magic blue smoke escape from things attached to it.

Basically there is no reason to add a 2nd card for any reason other than to ADD performance. SLI doesn't halve the job, 1 card is always going to go 100% and if possible the 2nd card is going to add to the performance of the first card depending on lots of factors like drivers, sli profiles, power draw, etc etch.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

cat doter posted:

Not just with video cards, but with ANY upgrade, or even a fresh build when I first get things together and power up to test. The inevitable thrill afterward of feeling like Dr. Frankenstein and bellowing "IT'S ALIVE! ALLLLIIIIVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEE!!" is fantastic though...that is, until you realize "well, here go another few hours of installing drivers/software...."

Zero VGS posted:

Just temporarily I'm going to try to SLA two 770's on my 620w PSU. Nothing is being overclocked, I just want to see if I can get SLA running and experience it before deciding if I want to keep both cards and invest in a 1000w PSU.

- What happens if things get hairy... does the computer just do a hard reset if the GPUs draw too much, or will worse things happen?

- Is it possible to cap what the cards can draw, like with a combination of underclocking/undervolting?

- For crap like browsing the forums / Windows Explorer, are both cards working half as hard, or is one in a kind of standby while the other does the work?

First, I wouldn't advise throwing two 770s on a 620W supply...even if it works, there's no telling for how long. Might be a good idea to look at the amperages for each card and compare to the total amps your supply can provide to get a good idea of whether or not it'll work. But:

- If things get hairy, the power supply could fail, which usually ends up being anything from the machine shutting off and refusing to come back on, to smoke/spark/etc. coming out and possibly shorting out other components

- You *might* be able to underclock the cards and draw a little less power, not sure how much it'll help depending on their combined power draw

- Usually for 2D applications, cards will run in a lower power/lower clock speed mode and then ramp up for 3D gaming. Not entirely sure about SLI but I'd assume the main card would do the work and the secondary might go into an idle state

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 26, 2013

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Ozz81 posted:

Not just with video cards, but with ANY upgrade, or even a fresh build when I first get things together and power up to test. The inevitable thrill afterward of feeling like Dr. Frankenstein and bellowing "IT'S ALIVE! ALLLLIIIIVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEE!!" is fantastic though...that is, until you realize "well, here go another few hours of installing drivers/software...."

I had that yesterday building a PC for a friend, we take a deep breath and say "moment of truth!" and of course the single thing I forget to wire is the power switch into the motherboard.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I know most of you guys already have an idea on how to stay away from the reference 290 cooler, but google the NZXT Kraken G10 anyways. I don't know when it's actually going to be a thing available on retailers, but it looks, in a way, slightly more refined than shrouds you have to stick directly on cards.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

I had that yesterday building a PC for a friend, we take a deep breath and say "moment of truth!" and of course the single thing I forget to wire is the power switch into the motherboard.

I'm seasoned enough at this point just from having dicked around inside these things for so long that I generally don't flub builds, the general rule is "it takes about 1.5-3x as much pressure as you personally feel comfortable applying to correctly install many components."

But this go-around replacing the super card with a super duper card, I fuckin' knocked the upper ATX power connector out when I was putting the card in. Cue a lot of cursing as I contorted my hand around my gigantic cooler (an NH-D14 with three fans) and my top 200mm exhaust, trying to get that stiff son of a bitch to go back in firmly and click. Took a couple tries. Glad I was able to spot the problem right away.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Zero VGS posted:

Hah, did something similar with my recent motherboard / cpu upgrade. Got everything all connected, fans start spinning, no video. I'm tearing my hair out when I finally figure out that the cpu power cable isn't plugged in :haw:

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Agreed posted:

I'm seasoned enough at this point just from having dicked around inside these things for so long that I generally don't flub builds, the general rule is "it takes about 1.5-3x as much pressure as you personally feel comfortable applying to correctly install many components."

But this go-around replacing the super card with a super duper card, I fuckin' knocked the upper ATX power connector out when I was putting the card in. Cue a lot of cursing as I contorted my hand around my gigantic cooler (an NH-D14 with three fans) and my top 200mm exhaust, trying to get that stiff son of a bitch to go back in firmly and click. Took a couple tries. Glad I was able to spot the problem right away.

We have the same cooler (and same # of fans) and I am sure I will come to rue the day when I'll have to work around it. And once upon a time I thought the Scythe Ninja SC-1000 was a massive cooler.

XFX's sent off and a Powercolor's coming in. Hopefully I'll have it by Friday and all of these troubles will be over and done with (:ohdear:).

Oh by the way, the 3M thermal tape that came with the Gelid is no joke. My ability to remove the ramsinks to put the stock cooler back on was seriously coming into question. I can only assume that the folks that had issues of the ramsinks falling off didn't clean the surfaces properly.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 27, 2013

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

290 update: I swapped to my second 290 and successfully flashed that to a 290x bios too. :keke:

I now have two 290x's for $100 more than a 780 Ti.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

El Scotch posted:

290 update: I swapped to my second 290 and successfully flashed that to a 290x bios too. :keke:

I now have two 290x's for $100 more than a 780 Ti.

Oh yeah?! Well, I have a 780 Ti for $100 less than two 290s. So spendy, you multi-card people, I just can't believe it. ;)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yeah well I got my 7970 GHz Edition for $220 so... yeah. :negative:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah well I got my 7970 GHz Edition for $220 so... yeah. :negative:

Hell of a deal. Reminder, that's a card that turns in very good numbers despite its age and scales better than its competition as they saw fit to outfit it with plenty of VRAM (3GB is plenty of VRAM, seriously, I mean it this time!!!); it usually outperforms the GTX 770 at stock settings and has some of the best perf per clock since the GTX 580, with a ton of overclocking headroom.

I can't find any new for less than around $320, and the R9 280x is the same thing but with the TrueAudio DSP on it (if that takes off, who knows) and runs at $300... Again, I really feel like nVidia isn't competing as strongly as they ought to at that price point. The GTX 770, to align with price:performance, ought to come down to an even $300. The extra $35 and the games bundle isn't sufficient, in my opinion, to justify the performance difference and the VRAM issue it's ~sort of running into in some modern game engines.

What's a little more mind-blowing though is that those two cards are still profoundly outclassed by modern engines. See the chart I linked a bit back showing 780Ti and R9 290x performance, stock and overclocked, from late DX9 to mid DX11 and now modern DX11 games. My 780Ti can be reasonably described as "woohoo overclocked as hell yessss yeeeesss I won the chip lotto :holy:" (is there a shorter word for that? "good," maybe?) and it's still only about 100MHz higher than that article, and won't top 60fps minimum in the games that can tax modern features. Not even talking at 8xAA or whatever.

I am going to be very happy when G-Sync becomes commercially available and I can stop giving a gently caress about that. I just want good framerates, not unattainably high ones at ultra resolutions, and I want pretty graphics. Right now in REALLY demanding games, I can either turn on Adapytive Vsync and get tearing while it deals with dips to the mid 50s (which sucks, so close but no cigar), or I can do the VSync thing and get disruptive jitter between 60 and 30fps (or make sure it's got several buffered frames and manage with 45FPS but very noticeable input lag as a result).

Gettin' mad at video frames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Agreed posted:

R9 280x is the same thing but with the TrueAudio DSP on it (if that takes off, who knows) and runs at $300... Again, I really feel like nVidia isn't competing as strongly as they ought to at that price point.
Unfortunately, the R9-280X's don't have TrueAudio. That's reserved for the 290, 290X and R7-260X. The 280X is literally just Tahiti XT clocked between the 7970 and 7970 Ghz edition.