Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

karl fungus posted:

How do I start with Ozric Tentacles or Porcupine Tree?

The opening track of Pungent Effulgent is what really put me up on Ozric Tentacles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f52hgmPAbw

The rest of the album is great too.

Overall they're a consistently good band and it's hard to go wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

Steve Albini keeps turning up in some capacity or other on records which my flatmate shows me. They've been consistently excellent so far, but but there's also a load of them. I'm pretty into some of the math-rock type stuff he was involved with (Slint, Shellac) and I have a passing familiarity with PJ Harvey, The Pixies, Nirvana and the Manic Street Preachers.
What I'd like to do is listen to everything he's worked on so far, but I'm unsure of where to start. He doesn't strike me as a straightforward guy, so doing it chronologically might not be the best. Any pointers?

If you want to just limit yourself to stuff he worked on as an actual musician, your best bet would probably be Big Black's Songs About loving, then work backward through that band's (very short) discography. You mentioned you're familiar with Shellac, but I'd otherwise recommend either At Action Park or 1000 Hurts as either a starter or a "go here next" situation. (His other band he was involved in, Rapeman, is also decent and only ever released one album, Two Nuns and a Packmule).

As for his stuff as producer, everyone else already touched on a lot of the highlights of his career on that front.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Just a heads up though, "everything he's worked on" isn't really a feasible thing since he's recorded something like 5,000 records, most of them no-names you'll never find. But yes, you could do a hell of a lot worse than getting Big Black's "Atomizer" (musician), Shellac's "1000 Hurts" (musician), and The Jesus Lizard's "Goat," which he's said before is probably his finest engineering work, and it's true, the record sounds unbelievable.

Edit: No mentions of Silkworm, either? For shame, shame on myself and all others.

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 30, 2013

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

karl fungus posted:

Porcupine Tree?

To preface anything involving Steven Wilson; he feels that sad songs are the most emotional/powerful so don't expect his stuff to ever be uplifting. [I'm adding this part in much later after rereading the rest of what I've said. I'm such a Steven Wilson whore.] Although I have to say that some of his songs can be rather poppy and have moments that are really positive. Time Flies from The Incident would be an example. The song still portrays sad moments about the past, but also has you look towards what's happening right now and where you're headed. Again, as a SW apologist, I'd recommend giving his work more than 1 listen.

I agree with where people are saying to start with PT. In Absentia is an incredible album and it's where I was hooked. Pretty much everything post 91 has some amazing songs. Voyage 34 isn't something I'd start with, but is worth checking out if you enjoy Steven Wilson's style. Even Up the Downstair from 93 has great songs like Synesthesia and Always Never. I guess this is cliche and I'll probably get a lot of crap for it, but I always get the impression that Steven Wilson really enjoys making music and that he puts a lot of emotion into everything he's involved in which helps make it more real and accessible for people. He also doesn't have much exposure outside of those familiar with prog or his involvement as a producer. He still gets more than most in that same arena, but I'd argue that's because he's good at what he does. There's a reason why people who listen to Meshuggah and other absurdly influential bands know of Steven Wilson.

OK, so I've now gone well beyond just recommending SW stuff. But if you like it then I'd also recommend checking out Blackfield, Opeth (start with Damnation unless you don't mind growling vocals then I'd say just hop right into Blackwater Park. I think Åkerfeldt does growling vocals better than most, but it takes some getting used to and while I'm not normally a fan I really like Opeth. Also learning the lyrics ahead of time so I can understand the growling made a huge difference because the lyrics are pretty good.), and bands like OSI or Steven Wilson's solo stuff like The Raven that Refused to Sing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8sLcvWG1M4. Once you go down the Steven Wilson hole you'll be surprised how much involvement he has with many bands. But if you enjoy his stuff then you'll have a lot of works to check out. If not, then he's ruined everything you've ever loved :P

To get more at the topic at hand, one of my much younger employees (I'm old now, gently caress you) played in a band with abnormal time signatures. He finally got me hooked on Animals as Leaders and Periphery. Where do I go from here? CAFO is amazing, but I'm also not huge on the vocals of Periphery, but I really do enjoy the intensity and skill involved with that they produce. I want all of that all the time.

I want Tosin Abasi and Steven Wilson to have a love child. Please tell me that band exists.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
For Animals as Leaders and Periphery, they both only have two albums so there's not much direction necessary. I'm of the opinion that AAL's Self-Titled is much better than Weightless (Weightless just seems not to pack as much of a punch) and Periphery II is much better than Periphery I but your mileage may vary. What is it about Periphery's vocals that you don't like? Spencer's high-pitched clean stuff or the harsh parts?

If you're not a fan of his clean vocals then the obvious ones are Meshuggah as they're usually revered as the Godfathers of djent along with Sikth and Fellsilent. You should also check out Tesseract as they're newer as well. Periphery is touring with Born of Osiris soon who just released a new album (and it is awesome) but they're quite a bit heavier and not really very similar I guess.

If you don't like the harsh vocals, you would probably like Protest the Hero (start with Scurrilous and work backwards, it gets heavier the further you go back) and/or The Safety Fire.

As far as something similar to Animals as Leaders, Buckethead is an obvious one and anything recorded by Jeff Loomis or Angel Vivaldi is gold.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

hatelull posted:

I think you can do just fine starting with 20 Jazz Funk Greats, as I think it does a great job covering all the flavors that TG served their audience. From there, you might go backwards to D.o.A: The Third and Final Report of Throbbing Gristle and truly have your skull peeled back. "Hamburger Lady" is especially popular around Halloween for whatever reason. The rest of their releases, are a mix of live material (The Second Annual Report) and mammoth experimental pieces (CD1) so you can really choose what tickles your fancy. If you like some of the more 'straight forward' material on 20 Jazz Funk Greats then Part Two: The Endless Not is worth checking out.

There's an "industrial" thread that is chock full of suggestions if you're interested in that genre but they talk about a lot of EBM stuff which is probably not the best introduction to that sound.

I'd also recommend the double album X-TG released last year: Desertshore/The Final Report, especially the Desertshore sessions. It's basically just Throbbing Gristle without Genesis P-Orridge, but they got a poo poo-ton of guest vocalists to fill in (Antony Hegarty, Sasha Grey, Blixa Bargeld of Einsturzende Neubaten, Marc Almond, and the guy who directed Enter the Void for some reason). It's the only Throbbing Gristle release I'd dare to call "dreamy".

Also, listen to Coil. For god's sake, listen to Coil.

Particularly The Ape of Naples. That's the album that got me into them.

Where should I start with deathrock? I'm a big fan of modern bands that try to work in some deathrocky elements (Atriarch, Pinkish Black), but I'm at a loss with the genre proper.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 31, 2013

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

Thanks guys this is exactly what I am looking for.

emotionsleaking
May 5, 2013
Where do I start with Jonathan Coulton? The first track I happened to listen to was "Nemeses," and I loved it, but nothing else has clicked yet.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Hey so I already love Throbbing Gristle and Coil but I'm not as familiar with Psychic TV. I've heard Godstar and Allegory and Self but I see that their discography is quite large and confusing. What to listen to next? I'm very interested in their brand of acid house.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

HP Hovercraft posted:

Hey so I already love Throbbing Gristle and Coil but I'm not as familiar with Psychic TV. I've heard Godstar and Allegory and Self but I see that their discography is quite large and confusing. What to listen to next? I'm very interested in their brand of acid house.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychic_TV_discography

Their first two albums, Force the Hand of Chance and Dreams Less Sweet are extremely good. Basically post-industrial with a sound that broadly overlaps with say, Coil's Scatology, plus lots of psychedelic rock influences, which then came out most strongly on Allegory and Self. The Themes releases are good and more experimental/less song based. Then immediately after Allegory and self you get into the "acid house" (mostly not really what would be considered acid house but Genesis P-Orridge claimed falsely to have invented the genre) era--Towards the Infinite Beat is a decent album from this period. There's lots of material from this period as you can see and it's all pretty samey from what I can remember so check out whatever. After that I have no idea, that's as late in PTV discography that I've listened.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

HP Hovercraft posted:

The compilation "Jack The Tab / Tekno Acid Beat" is probably the most iconic of the acid house release that GPO was involved with, even though it's technically not released under the PTV name. It's really good. I also love the album "Peak Hour", which has a little more flow and polish than the earlier acid house albums, even if it's a bit more straightforward.

As for their earlier stuff, agreed that "Force Thee Hand Of Chance" and "Dreams Less Sweet" are pretty much required listening, and definitely have sort of a Throbbing Gristle vibe to them. Their live albums (of which there are a ton) are usually pretty good too -- "Descending" is a standout, and most of the "City Ov [whatever]" albums are worthwhile.

Also, do yourself a favor and check out some early ('80s) Current 93 -- albums like "Nature Unveiled" and "Dog's Blood Rising" are in an extremely similar vein to TG / early Coil / early PTV (David Tibet was briefly a member of PTV).

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!
I won a pair of tickets to a Michael Franti & Spearhead show next month. I've never heard anything by them, what's a good album to check out to decide if I'm interested in going to see them live?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Rockzilla posted:

I won a pair of tickets to a Michael Franti & Spearhead show next month. I've never heard anything by them, what's a good album to check out to decide if I'm interested in going to see them live?

Just grab whatever album is most recent, which I think is Sound of Sunshine. I don't think he really does deep cuts live.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Not so much where do I start but where do I go with Bjork?

I really like Homogenic and I really like a lot of the Sugarcubes debut album. What else will I dig? Her voice is just fantastic. I think I read that at least one of her albums is heavy on orchestral backing, which usually bores me so preferably not that album.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Epi Lepi posted:

I really like Homogenic and I really like a lot of the Sugarcubes debut album. What else will I dig? Her voice is just fantastic. I think I read that at least one of her albums is heavy on orchestral backing, which usually bores me so preferably not that album.

If you haven't heard Debut I would just start with that and go forward from there.

Programmable Soda
Aug 8, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

Funny you mention that because Homogenic is heavy on the string arrangements, so it's probably that one? If not, it could be Volta, though that one features brass sections in every other song.

If you like the quieter songs in Homogenic (Immature, All Is Full of Love, All Neon Like, Unravel) I'd suggest Vespertine, which has a very winter-like sound, with music boxes and sparse electronic arrangements. It's one of my favorites.

If you prefer the more upbeat songs (Hunter, Alarm Call, 5 Years, Pluto) then either Debut or Post are good choices. Very strong albums, though the former has aged a bit.

The rest of her albums are worth checking out, though I think Volta and Biophilia are not as strong as the rest of her work. Medúlla is magnificient, but it may take a while to really get into since it features some experimental voice work that may be hard to digest at first. Her B-Sides compilation is also fairly good.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Programmable Soda posted:

Funny you mention that because Homogenic is heavy on the string arrangements, so it's probably that one? If not, it could be Volta, though that one features brass sections in every other song.

If you like the quieter songs in Homogenic (Immature, All Is Full of Love, All Neon Like, Unravel) I'd suggest Vespertine, which has a very winter-like sound, with music boxes and sparse electronic arrangements. It's one of my favorites.

If you prefer the more upbeat songs (Hunter, Alarm Call, 5 Years, Pluto) then either Debut or Post are good choices. Very strong albums, though the former has aged a bit.

The rest of her albums are worth checking out, though I think Volta and Biophilia are not as strong as the rest of her work. Medúlla is magnificient, but it may take a while to really get into since it features some experimental voice work that may be hard to digest at first. Her B-Sides compilation is also fairly good.

There are strings on Homogenic but most of the instrumentation is excellent trip hop beats. Probably gonna avoid Volta for now. Thanks for the breakdown, it's definitely a big help.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Someone just showed me this video of Ooioo's Umo and I love ittttt, where do I start with Ooioo?

Groundbase
May 26, 2006

Where should I start with Jimi Hendrix?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Groundbase posted:

Depends what you're going to appreciate most. If you're looking for most well-known hits then check out the first two LPs with The Experience - "Are You Experienced?" and "Axis: Bold As Love ". If you like a bit of experimentation (especially in terms of heavy studio usage) then go with "Electric Ladyland". It's his masterpiece, there's styles, genres and ideas galore on that one. Then move on to "Band Of Gypsys" - it's Hendrix with a new band, playing new material.

His other live albums vary in quality and there are a few decent rarities collections to be found but it's hard to recommend these a starting point.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Groundbase posted:

Literally just go chronologically. Stop when you reach his death, then carefully start picking through the posthumous material.

Start with Are You Experienced. Thanks to different labels pressing the UK and US versions, the running orders differ, and to further confuse things, CD pressings of the album tend to include otherwise-unavailable singles and b-sides from the era. Your best bet is to just go into the store and buy whatever copy of Experienced they've got---it'll be a fairly reasonable one. You can read up on all the different track listings on discogs or wikipedia if you like, but gently caress it. Just play the tunes.

Axis: Bold As Love and Electric Ladyland, the next two steps in line, are in far less disarray than Experienced, so whichever edition you come up with should be alright.

Having ditched the Jimi Hendrix Experience and formed the new Band of Gypsys, Jimi put out one further record, the live Band of Gypsys (often labeled simply "Hendrix" on the front cover). Occasionally uneven, the set still contains some utterly electric moments and is still worth it.

Then, well, he died, and everything started coming out piecemeal from about eight different record labels. It could take a life's work to document where everything in all the posthumous releases came from and was intended to go.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
After hearing some of his guest verses here and there on songs I'd like to know where I should start with Bustah Rhymes.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

alnilam posted:

Someone just showed me this video of Ooioo's Umo and I love ittttt, where do I start with Ooioo?

I'd say that the best starting places for OOIOO would either be Gold and Green (their best IMO) or Feather Float. The album that "UMO" is on, Taiga, would probably be a good choice as well.

Rent-a-Bot posted:

After hearing some of his guest verses here and there on songs I'd like to know where I should start with Bustah Rhymes.

Probably any of his first three albums, so you might as well just start with The Coming and work forward.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Taiga is kind of a rush out of the gate and then it gets kinda too groovy for its own good, I think. If you haven't heard them already, definitely check out Super Ae and Vision Creation Newsun by Boredoms. Same kinda vaguely aboriginal drummery, but there's a lot more of an epic newagey feel to those albums.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

TheNintenGenius posted:

Probably any of his first three albums, so you might as well just start with The Coming and work forward.

And then promptly stop at It Ain't Safe No More.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society
Where does one start with "Into it Over It".

Also I really enjoyed Owen's "At Home With Owen" CD, but the rest of his catalog seems like a crapshoot.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

The Waterboys have released two albums a year for the past 30. I really love "the whole of the moon," and am receptive to getting into another band with a hilariously deep catalogue, as I've previously done with XTC and the Kinks. Where do I start?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

Also I really enjoyed Owen's "At Home With Owen" CD, but the rest of his catalog seems like a crapshoot.
Proper seems to be the most common starting point with Into It. Over It.

I've only heard Owen's newest album, L'ami de Peuple, but it's really good.

MmmDonuts
Apr 5, 2010
Where should I start with R.E.M.?

And where should I go with Pixies after Doolittle?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

A far-too-in-depth abandoned first draft of the following post is here because I still like flow of it, it's just wrong for this thread.

MmmDonuts posted:

Where should I start with R.E.M.?

I'll do this backwards: Surfer Rosa. Pixies only have four records. Boom. Done.

Okay, now to talk R.E.M.:

You've got the weird early jangly stuff, the louder, but still jangly hooky stuff, the stuff that was all over MTV when MTV was a thing, then the stuff where the drummer quit and then the stuff in the 2000s.

For the early jangly stuff, start with Reckoning.
For the louder stuff, start with Lifes Rich Pageant.
For the era of MTV domination, start with Automatic For The People.
For the rest of it, start with New Adventures in Hi-Fi and Accelerate.

They've got two live albums, one meh, the other great. Live at the Olympia is the great one. The live video Tourfilm is a must.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Transistor Rhythm posted:

The Waterboys have released two albums a year for the past 30. I really love "the whole of the moon," and am receptive to getting into another band with a hilariously deep catalogue, as I've previously done with XTC and the Kinks. Where do I start?

May have just been because I grew up with these albums, but I really love Room to Roam and Fisherman's Blues.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

MmmDonuts posted:

Trompe Le Monde and Bossanova are both very different and very good albums. In fact, there are many people (myself included) who consider the former to be their strongest one. It's the heaviest album of theirs, they added synths and the biblical themes are gone replaced with sci-fi. They also split Subbacultcha into two great songs (check out their early demos).

Bossanova, on the other hand was said to be their Beach Boys tribute album and it kinda succeeded in that regard. The surf themes are there but the strongest songs seem to be the weirdest ones: Down To The Well, Blown Away, All Over the World. Stormy Weather is also great to sing to when you're drunk and miserable. Dig for Fire is a Talking Heads rip-off, might be fun if you like that band.

Disregard any of their most recent music. It's just terrible. I've never seen as strong a sign of a creative bankruptcy as naming a track "Indie Cindy".

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Terminally Bored posted:

Trompe Le Monde and Bossanova are both very different and very good albums. In fact, there are many people (myself included) who consider the former to be their strongest one. It's the heaviest album of theirs, they added synths and the biblical themes are gone replaced with sci-fi. They also split Subbacultcha into two great songs (check out their early demos).

Bossanova, on the other hand was said to be their Beach Boys tribute album and it kinda succeeded in that regard. The surf themes are there but the strongest songs seem to be the weirdest ones: Down To The Well, Blown Away, All Over the World. Stormy Weather is also great to sing to when you're drunk and miserable. Dig for Fire is a Talking Heads rip-off, might be fun if you like that band.

Disregard any of their most recent music. It's just terrible. I've never seen as strong a sign of a creative bankruptcy as naming a track "Indie Cindy".

For an alternate point of view, Trompe le Monde is by far my least favorite Pixies album and to me the signs of Frank Black's impending creative decay were already well in place at that point. And "Distance Equals Rate Times Time" is loving horrible and they never should have split the original "Subbacultcha" in half.

But yeah, for me, I'd echo Allen Wren's opinion and say to go to Surfer Rosa next after Doolittle, then the Come on Pilgrim EP, then just go in chronological order after Doolittle from there. (Surfer Rosa is probably my favorite Pixies album, side note).

Absolutely won't disagree on the post-Trompe le Monde stuff, though. The only decent song they've released after that album was a rather good cover of Warren Zevon's "Ain't That Pretty At All." Beyond that, it's all varying amounts of garbage.

Madame Ovary
Jul 22, 2013
Where do I start with Buckethead?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Madame Ovary posted:

Where do I start with Buckethead?

I'd recommend Bucketheadland 2, Enter the Chicken, and Captain EO's Voyage. That should give you a pretty decent sampling of his more aggressive stuff and his more psychedelic music. The way I got into it was his work with Praxis and Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains, so I can also recommend Tennessee 2004 and Big Eyeball in the Sky.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
My favourite Buckethead albums are Elephant Man's Alarm Clock and Electric Sea. Elephant Man's Alarm Clock is really heavy for the most part (not like, shred heavy, but legit heavy, moreso than his other stuff at least), but has some really nice stuff too, like The Lurker At The Threshold. Electric Sea is an acoustic one and is totally gorgeous (see Yokohama). He has so much material that it's probably good to find a couple of his songs that you like, listen to the albums they're from, then look at similarly tagged ones on Wikipedia or last.fm or whatever. It really is hard to suggest things because some of my favourite songs are from albums I'm not too fond of. Those two (EMAC and Electric Sea) are the ones I'd definitely suggest listening to all the way through though.

EpicPale
Jan 8, 2012

Goddammit, we'll make it if you believe.

As far as Owen goes, I also started out with At Home With Owen (having loved American Football), and I am really enjoying the album New Leaves. I don't know where it falls, chronologically, but there is some really good songwriting on there.

ADullMin
May 3, 2013

by Ralp

You are right about the rest of his catalog.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Where do I start with Fleetwood Mac?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

screenwritersblues posted:

Where do I start with Fleetwood Mac?

Depends. I assume you're interested in Fleetwood Mac and not Peter Green, so I'll say Rumours. From there, I'd say go to Tusk and the self-titled, and work your way out from there. Fleetwood Mac, Rumours, and Tusk are their only "vital" recordings and should provide enough of a base for whether or not you like them.