Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Skjorte posted:

But are you sure it's a concept album? I know every song tells a story, but I was under the impression that they were all self-contained.
Sure? Not really, no. I just saw it was mentioned and jumped right on the bandwagon. :v:
Searching a bit, I found this interview of the bassist, Doris Yeh: http://metalholic.com/chthonic-interview-bassist-talks-new-album-rhythm-crusher-app/

quote:

Each of your albums while not necessarily concept records, usually have a lyrical theme; like Seediq Bale addressed the relationship between Japan and Taiwan. Is there a theme on the new record?

“Yes, like what I have mentioned above, they are all about self-defense, righteous violence, and armed spirits. They are all Taiwanese historical events which can reflect the idea of the album title. But the fans will find out there are more stories hidden behind these events, and they will find out it’s still connect to the earlier three albums when they listen to the end. They will learn the whole album is about the insanity of Tsing-Guan who has been locked at Mirror of Retribution for millions of years. (Tsing-Guan is one of the main characters of our earlier 3 albums.)”

Also, according to some review the album revolves around this particular event: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/228_Incident

So yeah, gently caress if I know. Still a really good album, though. And yeah, Defenders of Bú-Tik Palace is a goddamn killer song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

gently caress. Lamb of God just cancelled the Norwich date on their UK tour. So gutted, I was proper looking forward to seeing them for the first time.

Fellow Norfolk metal goon? Yeah I was kinda bummed out by that, even though I don't think I would've been able to see them anyway.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I am new to power metal, but seem to rather like it after listening to some early Sonata Artica, can anyone reccomend bands or albums that have a similar sound/feel?

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

numerrik posted:

I am new to power metal, but seem to rather like it after listening to some early Sonata Artica, can anyone reccomend bands or albums that have a similar sound/feel?

Freedom Call, Rhapsody and Statovarius are the logical next step.
I mostly stick to the older stuff and a bit of power/prog, personally - symphonic metal does nothing for me. You might like it though.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Whorelord posted:

Fellow Norfolk metal goon?

Yup, hey buddy! :hfive:

quote:

Yeah I was kinda bummed out by that, even though I don't think I would've been able to see them anyway.

I just hope they live up to their promise and come here on their next tour.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gamma Nerd posted:

Freedom Call, Rhapsody and Statovarius are the logical next step.

Or if you want good music, Symphony X and Blind Guardian.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

IRQ posted:

Episode and Visions are two of the finest albums to come from northern Europe. Agreed that their later poo poo is largely awful, though.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

IRQ posted:

He asked for bands like Sonata Arctica, not good power metal bands :colbert:

By the way I decided to compile a death metal sampler recently. What do you guys think? Would you change any of the albums?
Edit 1

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 26, 2013

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Gamma Nerd posted:

By the way I decided to compile a death metal sampler recently. What do you guys think? Would you change any of the albums?

I would have included Individual Thought Patterns by Death into the Technical section, but other than that, it looks really good! Then again, you do have Scream Bloody Gore into the proto section...

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Proto-death/deathrash as well as OSDM are completely missing the old Brazilian scene - Sepultura, Vulcano, et al. Sarcofago's INRI isn't really black/death, it's primarily extreme thrash, while their later stuff moved into much more exemplary death/black. You are lumping too much stuff together in the first category and putting too many under prog/tech. You could even split the first category into more extreme thrash that was extreme but still predominantly thrash (Kreator, Demolition Hammer, Slayer, Morbid Saint), early thrash/death that was at the leading edge of the evolution to death metal (Possessed, Death, Pentagram Chile), earlier death/thrash (Sepultura circa '89, Merciless' "The Awakening", maybe Mortification's "Scrolls" if you want to fill out some more) and death/thrash from when DM was more evolved (Vader).

When covering a lot of old school death metal, I would note the different scenes, as well as noting years to highlight how the styles are still continued today. Oh, and add a Napalm Death album for deathgrind.

You should probably also figure out a way to make that Arghoslent album #88.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Snare doesn't sound enough like a garbage can. Sorry.

I will definitely add a second row for death/thrash and separate the OSDM section by scene. Thanks! Noting years might be a good idea too, to highlight the OSDM revival in a section off to the side.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Gamma Nerd posted:

-I would change out that Defeated Sanity album for their more recent release Passages Into Deformity, which is absolutely loving stellar.
-Show No Mercy would be a better Slayer album to include in a proto-death/death-thrash category. Reign in Blood is pure thrash.
-Definitely put Of Breath and Bone by Be'lakor in the melodic death category. Take out something else, I don't care what.
-Maybe Incorrigible Bigotry or Hornets of the Pogrom instead of Galloping Through the Battle Ruins?
-The Key instead of Nocturnus EP
-Augury Fragmentary Evidence and/or Beyond Creation The Aura in Prog/Tech
-Creepmime Shadows in Death/Doom
-Though !T.O.O.H.! are sorta death/grind (and awesome), I don't know if they really belong in the same category as the rest of those bands since they're fairly upbeat and don't have gutturals.

I'm sure I'll edit this with more later :|

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Gamma Nerd posted:

At the risk of playing melodeath greatest hits, I'd pull something else from that category to make room for Wintersun's S/T.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Gamma Nerd posted:

Phlebotomized own, but they're not conventional death metal by any means, if you're going to include them they should probably go with the progressive stuff.

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008
Also for the case of it being a sampler, you probably want to split up the tech/prog sections mainly for the disparity between their sounds. I mean, I know you delineate, but someone for whom death metal or metal as a concept is alien to them, they might wind up thinking Gorguts sounds like Opeth or vice versa, mainly because it's not clear which section is which.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Gamma Nerd posted:

Seems cool, I haven't heard a lot of these actually. When describing brutal/slam though, what do you mean by "rhythmic open-palm guitar slaps"?

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Gaggins posted:

Seems cool, I haven't heard a lot of these actually. When describing brutal/slam though, what do you mean by "rhythmic open-palm guitar slaps"?

A lot of those bands use open-string palm-muted breakdowns, but I thought the "slam" referred to them slamming the strings with their hand. Apparently I was incorrect.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah, that is not a technique I've ever heard of.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Sometimes you hit a chord or a note un-muted and then quickly mute it with your palm but it's less of a slap and more of a slide. But I don't know what you were talking about in the first place so whatever

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

muike posted:

Sometimes you hit a chord or a note un-muted and then quickly mute it with your palm but it's less of a slap and more of a slide. But I don't know what you were talking about in the first place so whatever

I am not a guitarist, and I am also an idiot.

I put up an edit for you guys, second proto/thrash row added and changed a few albums around.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Gamma Nerd posted:

A lot of those bands use open-string palm-muted breakdowns, but I thought the "slam" referred to them slamming the strings with their hand. Apparently I was incorrect.

Nah, it's just simpler breakdown/groove style riffs, generally on the downbeat. Sometimes muted, sometimes not.

This entire song's basically one slam riff after another. Note the guitarists don't play faster when the drums change tempo. In fact the drums are typically the lead instrument in slam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m15mOP6y-dU

Also switch out Killing on Adrenaline with Destroy the Opposition

e: also also I'd switch out one of those two lower-tier bands with Cephalotripsy because seriously

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 26, 2013

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

Optimum Gulps posted:

-Show No Mercy would be a better Slayer album to include in a proto-death/death-thrash category. Reign in Blood is pure thrash.

'Show No Mercy' is just a revved up Judas Priest album; the influence that 'Reign in Blood' had is far more significant.

For old-school death/thrash it might be worth including early Sepultura (i.e. 'Beneath the Remains' or 'Schizophrenia'), Rigor Mortis' s/t, Morbid Saint 'Spectrum of Death' and maybe 'Strappado' by Slaughter.

Otherwise the list looks pretty good; I could nit pick a few album choices (I mean 'Conductor's Departure' for Anata? 'Black Seeds of Vengeance' and not 'Annihilation of the Wicked'?) but I'm guessing the intention to give people a sample and let them trawl through the discographies.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Gamma Nerd posted:

Edit 1

What did you use to make this image? It looks cool.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Gamma Nerd posted:

Edit 1

What, no Celtic Frost? Also, I'd probably put Blackwater Park in place of Morningrise for Opeth.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Proto- anything in regards to metal genres is the worst and makes me hella mad.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

numerrik posted:

Go straight to Helloween. They basically created the genre. Any of the three Keeper of the Seven Keys albums are gold, though the first two are better, and the recent "7 Sinners" and "Straight out of Hell" are both excellent.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

QPZIL posted:

What did you use to make this image? It looks cool.

Just Paint.NET and elbow grease.

Thanks for the insight about slam, comes along bort. I always consider the guitars the main instrument in metal so I haven't given slam the time of day from my brief exposure to it.

MrBling posted:

Proto- anything in regards to metal genres is the worst and makes me hella mad.

I dunno, I think it's a useful term to describe albums that were pioneers of a certain style but didn't have the fully codified sound yet.
What's your trouble with it?

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 27, 2013

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
So, word on the street is that Carcass and The Black Dahlia Murder (+2 other bands) are heading up this year's Decibel Magazine 2014 US Tour in the spring. An official word is suppose be announced December 6th.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Reminder that Vader rules:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AODtKExVCM

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Gamma Nerd posted:

I dunno, I think it's a useful term to describe albums that were pioneers of a certain style but didn't have the fully codified sound yet.

You're describing an album widely seen as the first death metal album as proto-death/thrash. Think about that. You've even got it described as codifying the sound in your blurb.

Seriously, the whole thing is genre hell.

I'm not even going to bother with the band choices.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
awwww come on, I think it's a cool and interesting idea Gamma Nerd. :)

SpellEdge
Sep 14, 2007
Atk:13 Add: Don't Act

Those On My Left posted:

Am pretty much a full year late on this, but boy does it own

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftve6Acwkec

I guess I'm even later then, this is awesome. Thank you.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Gamma Nerd posted:

It just seems terribly revisionist. Like going back and labelling Black Sabbath as proto-metal because they aren't all that heavy compared to modern heavy metal.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Okay, so Manowar announced their US tour dates, and the closest they will be to me is Chicago, 8 hour drive.

I am going to be buying tickets the second they go on sale this friday, and am going to be looking at reserving a hotel room.
I am currently trying to convince my friend to make the drive up there, but he has a newborn son, so I don't know if that is going to happen. I am going to be picking up two tickets just in case.

Anyone else planning on hitting Manowar at Chicago?

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Saw the Manowar dates too, was disappointed about no east coast until I realized I was lucky enough to see them 2 years ago in my home state 45 mins away on their only US tour date last time around.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Gamma Nerd posted:

Edit 1

Could use more work certainly, something needs to be done about that proto section as well. Overall, good start. May wanna post it on that other site again as well for more opinions.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

You're describing an album widely seen as the first death metal album as proto-death/thrash. Think about that. You've even got it described as codifying the sound in your blurb.

Seriously, the whole thing is genre hell.

I'm not even going to bother with the band choices.

Final edit I think.

I switched Possessed around to death/thrash - I am perfectly willing to keep people's suggestions in mind, it's just very hard to put things into the endless subcategories metal seems to lend itself to, and harder to keep it to a manageable sized list of "essential albums" (still thinking of putting Ripping Corpse and Infester on the list but I can't be arsed to remove albums I personally enjoy). Far too hard for me to actually do on my own. So please, do bother with the band choices, I posted it on this site because I know we have knowledgeable metal fans on here. Much more knowledgeable than me, certainly :v: If you want to be a douche and not contribute to some totally non-objective thing I'm doing for fun and to educate myself and others, go ahead. But I would rather have people be helpful.

MrBling posted:

It just seems terribly revisionist. Like going back and labelling Black Sabbath as proto-metal because they aren't all that heavy compared to modern heavy metal.

Fair enough. Revisionism is the name of the game when it comes to tracking the development of a musical style, but it does sort of reek of elitism. Rest assured I don't intend that.

By the way, the Demilich comp album including unreleased material is up for pre-order.

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 27, 2013

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Johnny Aztec posted:

Okay, so Manowar announced their US tour dates, and the closest they will be to me is Chicago, 8 hour drive.

I am going to be buying tickets the second they go on sale this friday, and am going to be looking at reserving a hotel room.
I am currently trying to convince my friend to make the drive up there, but he has a newborn son, so I don't know if that is going to happen. I am going to be picking up two tickets just in case.

Anyone else planning on hitting Manowar at Chicago?

Going to the Minneapolis date. It's $75 advance for just them and in a lovely venue (I loving hate mill city), but gently caress it when else will I get to see Manowar and close to home.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Well that's my xmas gift to myself sorted. Thanks for the heads up on this, I hadn't heard anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Vader does loving rule.