Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

Given that all I've really read has been anger that the posting exists, I thought this was a good description (didn't read any comments) and was worth reading. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Dren posted:

I'm not hypothesizing that they'll take a gamble on some kid. I'm hypothesizing that they will end up taking a vetted professional who will negotiate for a deal he or she believes is reasonable. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this scenario.

Also, nowhere do they say 20% under market. In fact, they say salary is negotiable. There is full medical, dental and vision. There is 401k at 2% of annual salary which isn't far off from a lot of matching benefits (and doesn't require the employee to contribute). There are periodic bonuses (sounds like typical x-mas bonuses) as well as vacation/holiday. They will pay to relocate you if need be. All of this sounds fairly standard.

Furthermore, if they can get a candidate at below market due to their enormous fanbase, good for them. That's smart business. They don't owe anyone anything just because they make a profit. The reason they are profitable is that they make smart business decisions. I bet this position ends up being in the neighborhood of $120k and I would have no problem walking in the door and asking for $150k to start if I were applying.

How dare you be reasonable about the dickwolf people.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Dren posted:

a reasonable post.

You're probably right. Still, my experience makes me think the position might be filled by a fan for 80k because he doesn't know better.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Strong Sauce posted:

http://kylerichter.com/our-responsibility-as-developers/

NO TIME TO HIDE USER DATA, WE GOTTA GET OUR QUIZ GAME OUT STAT.

We should circle back around to this thing because it's pretty hideous, especially given that Path already got smacked down for this kinda bullshit.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Penny Arcade sure are free to make any job postings they want. I am pretty sure I am free to hate on it.. ON THE INTERNET. If I wanted to as well.

Also people see poo poo job postings everyday but I think the biggest thing people are annoyed with (and has been mentioned earlier) in regards to this job is that Penny Arcade is trying to pawn themselves off as not being "money oriented" when they have a huge nerd empire that includes conferences, charities, and video games and getting big bucks from game companies to advertise for them. If this had just been a regular job posting from them I doubt anyone would have cared. I guess maybe they are being yelled at for being super honest?

And when they say "negotiable" but then add in the caveat that they're not money-oriented the salary is really not that negotiable. Essentially they are saying you are going to get lowballed hard.

I agree though that they are at least being honest about things. It's still terrible.

Monkeyseesaw posted:

We should circle back around to this thing because it's pretty hideous, especially given that Path already got smacked down for this kinda bullshit.

Here is essentially their response. http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/25/quizup-privacy-violations/

Gist of it is, "Oh it was a 'bug' with some third party library, and we didn't store the FB Token that would allow anyone to access your account, no we just passed it back and forth over plaintext. But we didn't store it! PS This issue wasn't as big of a problem as this guy made it out to be."

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Dren posted:

Furthermore, if they can get a candidate at below market due to their enormous fanbase, good for them. That's smart business. They don't owe anyone anything just because they make a profit. The reason they are profitable is that they make smart business decisions. I bet this position ends up being in the neighborhood of $120k and I would have no problem walking in the door and asking for $150k to start if I were applying.
FWIW, I'm betting more like half that, maybe up to 80/85k, though I'm also assuming it's a moot point because they probably won't talk salary until they feel certain the applicant isn't going to go blabbing about it. If they paid this person 120-150k I wouldn't really be bothered by the "work/life balance" stuff or wearing a million hats, but I'm assuming that when we say it's below market value, it's very substantially below market value.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
And they're only asking for 3 years experience. I'd be surprised if it even hits 80k, I'd guess 60-70.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm not sure how much of a horror this is if it depends on us correctly guessing what a hypothetical salary might or might not be at some future date.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not sure how much of a horror this is if it depends on us correctly guessing what a hypothetical salary might or might not be at some future date.

It's true we don't know any actual numbers, but their ad sure as hell has lots of red flags, like the implication that higher salary vs. better workplace (however they define "better") is an either-or situation.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

DaTroof posted:

It's true we don't know any actual numbers, but their ad sure as hell has lots of red flags, like the implication that higher salary vs. better workplace (however they define "better") is an either-or situation.

Oh yeah, that's dumb.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Also no matter how much they pay, they're literally saying "Do Four Jobs For The Price Of One" and no matter how you twist that, especially if they're paying less than the standard wage for one (but we can't be sure there), you're getting majorly hosed over.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

LOL I totally read the post by the PA guy wrong. I thought he was quitting to go teach. But he's quitting to find a job with higher pay so that he can save and eventually go into teach (which pays significantly less).

So he literally admits in his post that he is quitting to find a bigger paycheck, but you other guys should definitely consider working for Penny Arcade. They are like family!

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Zhentar posted:

And they're only asking for 3 years experience. I'd be surprised if it even hits 80k, I'd guess 60-70.

They want all that stuff for 3 years experience? I can't imagine them finding a 3 year person with experience in all the areas they want. You're in the right range for a 3 years experience person but if someone is that good and that young that's all the more reason they should ask for a way higher salary of at least 100k (and probably find a better place to work than PA because who is that smart, that young and lacks the ambition to be more than the IT monkey?).

The "not particularly money oriented" phrase keeps getting brought up and I get that, it kind of reads like they intend to lowball candidates. Probably not the smartest thing to put in your posting and one of the first questions an interviewee should have is "What does 'not particularly money oriented' mean?" Then follow it up with questions as necessary to determine how that would affect them.

Anyway, nothing wrong with what they're doing. If they can find someone willing who can do the job and wants to take the job for the money they're offering then good on them.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Dren posted:

Anyway, nothing wrong with what they're doing. If they can find someone willing who can do the job and wants to take the job for the money they're offering then good on them.

I don't really want to start a labour vs capital derail but this is a bit of an industry horror. In no other industry with proper unions would people be cheering on businesses that undermine the value of the trade, they'd be rightly putting the screws on them for abusing a position of power to low ball the worker.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Maluco Marinero posted:

I don't really want to start a labour vs capital derail but this is a bit of an industry horror. In no other industry with proper unions would people be cheering on businesses that undermine the value of the trade, they'd be rightly putting the screws on them for abusing a position of power to low ball the worker.

They're not abusing a position of power. They aren't in a position of power.

jarito
Aug 26, 2003

Biscuit Hider

shrughes posted:

They're not abusing a position of power. They aren't in a position of power.

This is correct. The market for developers now is crazy. I read recently that the unemployment rate for devs in Austin is -2%. Negative 2. No one is forcing people to take the job. The only people interested are those that value working for PA highly, which the business is using as part of their compensation package.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

PA Zealot posted:

I am leaving because I have always wanted to teach. Doing so comfortably requires that before then, I need to put away a lot of money to support myself when I’m getting paid a truly ludicrous wage.
<snip>
If you want to work 80 or more hours at something you truly enjoy, in fact you don’t want to stop working ever because you love it so much, shouldn’t that be okay too? Shouldn’t we be so lucky as to have a job that we are so invested in?
I really don't know jack poo poo about PA. I don't know who started it, who runs it, and I've never read a single comic unless it's popped up as a meme somewhere. Whoever is in charge must be a Jim Jones level of leader though.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

JawnV6 posted:

They're not going to 'bet' on some promising kid like you're hypothesizing. They're going to take a vetted professional who happens to be a starry eyed fan and exploit them for a few years. It's sickening because they'll find someone eager to do it.
It's sickening that someone voluntarily accepts a job? I thought the typical developer wasn't a nut with such attitude. What do you propose; making federal standards that ban busy jobs and set a national enforced equal salary for all?

Fact is that if the job position gets filled, the job responsibilities, hours and pay is perfect; otherwise it would remain vacant.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Pilsner posted:

Fact is that if the job position gets filled, the job responsibilities, hours and pay is perfect; otherwise it would remain vacant.

Take a step back and think about this... real dumb.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Pilsner posted:

It's sickening that someone voluntarily accepts a job? I thought the typical developer wasn't a nut with such attitude. What do you propose; making federal standards that ban busy jobs and set a national enforced equal salary for all?

If I'm getting arbitrary wishes, I'd start with "total shitheads don't have a multimillion dollar empire" since that's a tad easier to obtain. It's fine if you're approaching this as if you've never heard of these particular shitheads, but don't expect the rest of us to make believe with you.

And I'm curious how your 'perfect' system ever hires certain roles. Fucks sake that's an idealistic mental model of employment. Nobody ever took a job they didn't want just to put food on the table? Or are you stretching 'perfect' to cover 'grinding poverty coercing people into accepting degrading low wage jobs'

JawnV6 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 29, 2013

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
No, listen you guys, the free market --

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Pilsner posted:

drat, they weren't kidding - kids really say the darndest things! :monocle:

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 29, 2013

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Dude stop acting like you know anything at all about how much money they make. Multimillion dollar empire is probably true on the revenue side but you have absolutely no idea what their cut is.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

This thread is going good places.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Perhaps a new thread, "Coding horrors horrors".

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Mirror mirror in my cube, who's the troll and who's the rube?

For content, I had a "who's the numbskull that wrote thi- oh, yep, now I remember writing this." moment on Wednesday. As my coding style grows more generic and enterprise-y, Fizz Buzz EE looks less and less like a joke and more like a wise system to head off eventual refactorings.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

One of the node devs got really angry about a patch that eliminated gendered pronouns in documentation. Fortunately this commit has since been removed from history and Joyent says they would've fired him if he worked there.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Looks like the term "manchild" is a lot more literal than I thought.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

quote:

You guys are bat-poo poo insane. White knighting to the extreme level over a trivial thing. :cookie: Have a cookie though, your social justice is making the difference and making the world a better place! /s

:stare:

Some pretty :smith: replies in that thread. What a pointlessly unfriendly gesture, rejecting that patch on the grounds that it was 'trivial'.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Nothing good came out of any of that.

It was pretty clear that Ben Noordhuis had no idea what was going on in regards to why the PR was made. Nor why Isaac made a forced commit into master for this small change. So now instead we (and I mean that in loosest terms of the node community at large) have spent an entire day dealing with the fallout from that when it all could have been avoided if Isaacs PM'd Noordhuis in private and told him why this change was important. Seems like all of this was terribly handled.

I have real doubts this Ben guy will continue working on libuv. I mean for gently caress sakes the CTO of Joyent called him an rear end in a top hat over this. Apparently the CTO would have fired him if he worked for Joyent, (except he doesn't, he works for StrongLoop). But for some strange reason even though he is mad enough to fake-fire him, he is not mad enough to remove his access from that github repo.

Well looks like he is stepping away as I thought, he admits his mistake in not just letting it go after Isaac committed straight to master: https://github.com/joyent/libuv/pull/1015#issuecomment-29568172

And now the trolls will flood into that GitHub thread, and I will further despair for humanity.

return0
Apr 11, 2007
The blog post from Bryan Cantrill at Joyent is absolutely ridiculous, and if he worked for me I can definitely say he would be *fired* right now for that poo poo (lack of sensitivity towards non-native English speakers on gendered pronouns, and for publicly castigating someone for executing an established procedure rather than reflecting on What Went Wrong).

return0 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 1, 2013

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

return0 posted:

The blog post from Bryan Cantrill at Joyent is absolutely ridiculous, and if he worked for me I can definitely say he would be *fired* right now for that poo poo (lack of sensitivity towards non-native English speakers on gendered pronouns, and for publicly castigating someone for executing an established procedure rather than reflecting on What Went Wrong).

What's ridiculous about the blog post? It seems quite reasonable to me.

e: didn't quite catch your edit. Everyone involved seems pretty fluent and "they" instead of "he" is very common. It's pretty clear that What Went Wrong was Isaacs being a stereotypical programmer I'm not quite sure why you'd revert the commit otherwise.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 1, 2013

return0
Apr 11, 2007

pointsofdata posted:

It presumes that the maintainer who reverted the commit is familiar enough with English to comprehend the subtleties of gendered pronouns and the social implications of using them in the docs that they would (without instruction or communication) deviate from established commit acceptance protocol for documentation changes, which in a distributed FOSS community is disgustingly anglocentric. He then tries to publicly humiliate the guy in a cynical attempt to appear like he is a cool dude.

return0
Apr 11, 2007

pointsofdata posted:

e: didn't quite catch your edit. Everyone involved seems pretty fluent and "they" instead of "he" is very common. It's pretty clear that What Went Wrong was Isaacs being a stereotypical programmer I'm not quite sure why you'd revert the commit otherwise.

It was Ben Noordhuis who reverted the commit, who is Dutch and not a native English speaker. He explains why he reverted it here https://github.com/joyent/libuv/pull/1015#issuecomment-29568172

I guess it's up to you if you think that Bryan Cantrill blog is a proportionate response, I don't and I think it's ridiculous?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

pointsofdata posted:

What's ridiculous about the blog post?

The part where it assumes malice (can you say projection?) from a position of absolute brutal loving ignorance of 800 years of English usage in the face of the language's lack of a true neuter third person plural personal pronoun (which isn't a problem in the reverter's native Dutch, and which you can find native-English-speaking authors struggling about whether to misuse 'he' as a neuter or to misuse 'they' as a singular when faced with this pickle going back to works contemporary with Chaucer's Canterbury Tales and various versions of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight), and the rest of the text that followed on from this pontification-from-a-position-of-ignorance. I can just about guarantee you the shitheels at Joyent (the same folks who got in trouble over cancelling 'lifetime' accounts without warning for a whole bunch of their customers) butcher the English language in many and varied ways besides the pronoun bit, too - they probably use 'decimate' to mean 'destroy' and other heinous offenses against grammar and taste.

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000

return0 posted:

It was Ben Noordhuis who reverted the commit, who is Dutch and not a native English speaker. He explains why he reverted it here https://github.com/joyent/libuv/pull/1015#issuecomment-29568172

Its about time we kicked the filthy foreigners out of my software.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Otto Skorzeny posted:

the same folks who got in trouble over cancelling 'lifetime' accounts without warning for a whole bunch of their customers

I didn't even get an email warning, they just deleted all my poo poo without saying a word. Basically Joyent is a bunch of shitbags.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
The entire situation is ridiculous.

mjau
Aug 8, 2008
So he's not a native english speaker, yet he thought he was qualified to reject changes to the english documentation by someone who is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

A few things about the Joyent post.

1. Essentially calls a core node contributor and main libuv maintainer an rear end in a top hat on Joyent's blog. Which seems unprofessional.
2. The whole blog post is about acceptance of others and empathizing with them. Yet makes me consider whether I want to work on open source for a company that has a previous track record of calling contributors to their project assholes.
3. Instead of waiting to see if the flames would die down a little bit and then post a blog later on, he instead fans the flames by posting this blog about an hour or so after everyone started getting mad.
4. Saying he would have totally fired Ben if he worked for Joyent. Except Ben doesn't so it's just lip service. Why didn't he kick Ben out as a repo owner if he felt so strongly about it? Maybe StrongLoop (Ben's employer and another company that has people contributing to key node projects) and Joyent have to come to a joint decision, but then if that's the case that seems like more lip service. I get as a company Joyent needs to disassociate itself from Ben since people on the internet are dumb and got mad at Joyent, so just act like a professional company and say he doesn't work for you.
5. For a guy who was lucky enough to have written this (http://cryptnet.net/mirrors/texts/kissedagirl.html) in 1996 instead of today, where he probably would have been blasted over writing that comment and probably have blog posts written about it, he seems to lack much tact or empathy. He never even apologized for this!

StrongLoop's response to all this was more professional. 1. They acknowledge a mistake was made and 2. What are they doing to fix things.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 1, 2013