Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

FogHelmut posted:

I just got a Moto X. I didn't know it came with a nano sim, so I bought a sim cutter. Can I register this new sim with my existing TMobile prepaid account? Or should I just cut the old one down to fit?

You'll need to call T-Mobile. I couldn't get it done online. It takes about 30 minutes to get the new SIM activated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

gariig posted:

You'll need to call T-Mobile. I couldn't get it done online. It takes about 30 minutes to get the new SIM activated.

Actually, it was instant. I was on the phone with "Dave," and he said "Hold on while I enter that information..." and click. My phone went dead, service was gone. Only took about 30 seconds for the other phone to get a signal.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.
After looking up AIO, my wife and I are getting bombarded with GoPhone and Straight Talk (ATT) ads. Do any of those offer anything over AIO? I think I remember in this thread that one of them will arbitrarily boot you off for using data for anything other then web sites (Or is that Net10?).

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Dradien posted:

After looking up AIO, my wife and I are getting bombarded with GoPhone and Straight Talk (ATT) ads. Do any of those offer anything over AIO? I think I remember in this thread that one of them will arbitrarily boot you off for using data for anything other then web sites (Or is that Net10?).

Straight talk and net 10 are essentially the same, they don't want you streaming and will throttle or turn off your data if you do. That said, i stream the occasional YouTube video or Pandora and I've never had it happen to me. Then again I'm not streaming 2 hours a day on my commute or anything.

AIO = att service, $55/Mo., LTE up to 8mb/s, 2.5gbs(?)
ST = att service, $45/Mo., LTE unthrottled 2.5gbs, don't stream
ST= Tmo service, $45/Mo., hspa, 2.5gbs, (anecdotally much more lenient on streaming or tethering)

Most people on AIO now were on ST at one time and would tell you aio has far better customer service, if that matters to you. Honestly, I recognize ST's flaws but I've never had problems with them and don't see the need to switch and pay more for the same service.

E: also aio is going to rebrand as cricket pretty soon, because att bought cricket

SB35 fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 24, 2013

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.

SB35 posted:

Straight talk and net 10 are essentially the same, they don't want you streaming and will throttle or turn off your data if you do. That said, i stream the occasional YouTube video or Pandora and I've never had it happen to me. Then again I'm not streaming 2 hours a day on my commute or anything.

ST= Tmo service, $45/Mo., hspa, 2.5gbs, (anecdotally much more lenient on streaming or tethering)

Most people on AIO now were on ST at one time and would tell you aio has far better customer service, if that matters to you. Honestly, I recognize ST's flaws but I've never had problems with them and don't see the need to switch and pay more for the same service.

E: also aio is going to rebrand as cricket pretty soon, because att bought cricket

Thanks for the information. I don't stream often, and when I do, I'm on My wifi or my works Wifi, so that's a non-issue.

ATT it is! If T-Mo had good service here, I'd stick with my current plan, but EDGE everywhere blows.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
ST is generally a better deal considering refills are $40 on eBay with no tax. I would try them first and only switch if they give you problems.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SB35 posted:

The only thing AIO says in the TOS that it's against is tethering.

You are able to stream anything on AIO without them caring.

Also, you can do $55/2gb per month or $70/7gb per month.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Is the Samsung Exhibit still the way to go for T-Mobile, or has something new come along? Just thought I'd ask because the OP is from 2012. Also, I've been looking for some Black Friday smartphone deals, are there any good ones coming up?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I'm switching over to TMO from ST Friday. Can someone post the deals/discount codes for TMO? I know there was a PTA thing. I'm looking for things like that.

Also, is JUMP worth it if I just want to upgrade my iPhone every year? I know it includes insurance which would prolly let me forego Applecare.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Is the Samsung Exhibit still the way to go for T-Mobile, or has something new come along? Just thought I'd ask because the OP is from 2012. Also, I've been looking for some Black Friday smartphone deals, are there any good ones coming up?

The Samsung Exhibit is pretty old now. Can you afford a Nexus 4 (used) or Nexus 5 (~$380)? Those are much better phones. Or wait until January for a Moto G ($179).

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

SB35 posted:

I think that's why my ST is all hosed up. I get random speeds...sometimes it's fine, other times it's like being on EDGE, and sometimes I get no service at all. I've canceled my auto-debit CC I had on file with them and not manually renewing for December, and instead getting an AIO account. It's the combo of hopefully less account/speed fuckery, and getting LTE (I'm aware I could potentially get that from ST, but there's no point since I hate their TOS and customer service...seriously, it took two calls, each one transferring me two or three times to actually get my CC to no longer be on auto-debit. I was this close to just calling my CC company and telling them to stop all payments to ST.)

I'm currently getting the AIO service...since I use GV for all my calls,texts, I assume I shouldn't bother porting my number? My ST is paid up until Dec 4th, I figure if I port it, there's the chance it could port "too soon" and I'd be without any service until the SIM from AIO arrived.

I'd love to use the T-Mobile $30 plan, since I actually use very few minutes, but, well...

:suicide:

EDIT: Ok, I decided to get AT&T GoPhone, because ST completely stopped working for me entirely yesterday. Maybe they got pissy [=because I canceled my recurring charge or something. But I needed something right away so I could, you know...have a phone. So fine, I'll pay $5 more a month for AT&T, if nothing else I should get faster LTE speeds, right?

But right now, only on HSPA/HSDPA/whatever, but I knew there were only one or two LTE towers in town, so I'm just not near them at home or work. Fine, I had HSDPA entirely when I was on StraightTalk.

Only...it's slow as death. Slower than my ST connection was (well...when it decided to connect properly and not be a whiny bitch.) Anyone else have a speed problem with GoPhone? I'm getting less than 2 Mbps download, and like 0.3 Mbps upload. I've tried it in three places:

1) When I first activated the service in the downtown area, which should be the fastest and, in theory, if there's LTE I wold expect it there.
2) My home, which is maybe a half mile from the downtown area.
3) Work, which is a few miles from the big downtown hub, but still in a well populated "commercial" area that I got 5-8 Mbps on ST.

Oh, and sometimes it just loses all service intermittently. Just now, I looked at my phone and it had no bars with a little "x" near them for a minute or so.

Before I go back to the AT&T store (for all the good that'll do, since they will probably just pull the "well, the advertised speed is the maximum, no guarantee! bullshit) I was just wondering if maybe there's some better APN setting I could use. I was skeptical of the one the guy in the store gave me, since it only had, like, three things for me to input...a lot of blanks in the APN settings fields.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 26, 2013

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Motorola Moto G is on sale now!
$179 8 GB or $199 16 GB
Currently only black, but swappable color backplates are "coming soon"

Note: if you plan to use T-Mobile US, get the US GSM version as it supports AWS. If you plan to use AT&T or do any traveling, get the Global GSM version as it supports 2100 MHz.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

SB35 posted:

Motorola Moto G is on sale now!
$179 8 GB or $199 16 GB
Currently only black, but swappable color backplates are "coming soon"

Note: if you plan to use T-Mobile US, get the US GSM version as it supports AWS. If you plan to use AT&T or do any traveling, get the Global GSM version as it supports 2100 MHz.

It seriously doesn't come with a charger?

Motorola posted:

In the box
Moto G in black
USB cable
Quick start guide

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Athenry posted:

It is kinda cheapin' out, but who doesn't have one of those laying around anyway?

Or buy an official Motorola charger for ~$6

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Athenry posted:

USB cable works with any standard USB outlet.
Kindles do the same thing. Cord only, no wall adapter in the box.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

SB35 posted:

It is kinda cheapin' out, but who doesn't have one of those laying around anyway?

Or buy an official Motorola charger for ~$6

Isn't there an upcoming EU mandate to not include them anymore, because people have a shitload of them?

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I got my Republic Wireless Moto X yesterday and sadly I think I will be filing it under "too good to be true". I'm comparing it to my current iPhone 5S on AT&T.

The Moto X seems just fine, I don't mind Android despite being a longtime iOS user and even recently switched to a Nexus 7 tablet. The one thing I did notice is that the camera is pretty inferior to the one on the iPhone 5S and maybe even my old iPhone 4S. Unfortunately having a good/fast camera is a big deal for me because I'm taking lots of pictures of my young kids these days.

The bigger problem, as anticipated, is with the Sprint network.. works fine at my house, and I made calls today over both wifi and cell and couldn't tell the difference between them. I spent a few hours at a museum 10 minutes away and their public wifi was broken and I couldn't pick up any sort of data signal despite currently being on a free month of the $40/month 4G plan. I could probably live with the $10/month no-cellular-data plan but lovely data service will be a deal breaker for my wife.

I forgot to test my ability to make a voice call on the cell network while I was out but it's already starting to seem like I would have to make too many compromises to make the switch from AT&T to Republic Wireless at this point. Next stop might be trying out a Nexus 5 on the T-Mobile $30/month plan.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
If you want a good camera, you will not like the Nexus 5. The Galaxy S4 is the only thing close to an iPhone in the camera department on Android. Maybe the HTC One.

Can you use your AT&T iPhone on TMobile?

Uthor fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 27, 2013

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Uthor posted:

If you want a good camera, you will not like the Nexus 5. The Galaxy S4 is the only thing close to an iPhone in the camera department on Android. Maybe the HTC One.

Can you use your AT&T iPhone on TMobile?

Ah, that's too bad about the Nexus 5 camera.

I think I actually could just take my iPhone to T-Mobile, although it might end up being more expensive than if I paid my ETF, sold the 5S, and bought a ~$300-350 Android phone. It's looking like that might be my best option, although I would like to figure out a way to test the T-Mobile network ahead of time.

edit: In case it helps anyone else, it seems like the custom Republic Wireless firmware on the Moto X predates the changes that were made to fix the camera:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7353/moto-x-update-dramatically-improves-camera-quality

http://www.androidcentral.com/moto-x-update-coming-t-mobile-version-improves-camera-quality

It looks like it was version 139.12.57 that included the camera fixes, and my Moto X is running 139.4.17.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 27, 2013

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Go to Walmart and pick up a $40-50 flip phone and return it in a month?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Parker Lewis posted:

Ah, that's too bad about the Nexus 5 camera.

I think I actually could just take my iPhone to T-Mobile, although it might end up being more expensive than if I paid my ETF, sold the 5S, and bought a ~$300-350 Android phone. It's looking like that might be my best option, although I would like to figure out a way to test the T-Mobile network ahead of time.

edit: In case it helps anyone else, it seems like the custom Republic Wireless firmware on the Moto X predates the changes that were made to fix the camera:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7353/moto-x-update-dramatically-improves-camera-quality

http://www.androidcentral.com/moto-x-update-coming-t-mobile-version-improves-camera-quality

It looks like it was version 139.12.57 that included the camera fixes, and my Moto X is running 139.4.17.

Well, if you'd be willing to give the Moto X another shot, they'll be having them on sale in a couple days for $150 off the off-contract price. The T-Mobile version is basically the same thing as the GSM developer edition (except you don't get to keep your warranty if you unlock the bootloader), so if you get that off of Motomaker, you could take it to any GSM carrier.

https://plus.google.com/+Motorola/posts/7pBuo1GaxKu

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
For the Moto X, do you have to use the "Ok Google Now" phrase to activate voice commands, or does it let you shorten it to "Ok Google"?

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Kreeblah posted:

Well, if you'd be willing to give the Moto X another shot, they'll be having them on sale in a couple days for $150 off the off-contract price. The T-Mobile version is basically the same thing as the GSM developer edition (except you don't get to keep your warranty if you unlock the bootloader), so if you get that off of Motomaker, you could take it to any GSM carrier.

https://plus.google.com/+Motorola/posts/7pBuo1GaxKu

Interesting, I'll have to check into that, thanks.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Why not just carry around a decent camera with you? You can even get one with wifi built in, so you can just transfer and upload it from your camera to your phone instantly.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

TLG James posted:

Why not just carry around a decent camera with you? You can even get one with wifi built in, so you can just transfer and upload it from your camera to your phone instantly.

Because I have two front pockets on my pants and my keys go in one and my phone goes in the other. The iPhone 5S takes fine pictures, I'm not going to start carting a Canon PowerShot around everywhere I go because the Moto X is slow to get software updates on Republic Wireless.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So I spent 2 months on Solavei.

Pretty much every prepaid carrier includes fees and taxes in their rates - you usually wind up paying local sales tax, but no other taxes/fees. Solavei does not include any of this in their rates - their $49.99 plan turned nearly $70 for me. That plan will have 2GB of 4G data going forward... plus taxes and fees.

Solavei's web site doesn't play nice with Chrome. Their web site in general is pretty poo poo unless you use IE.

Solavei just revamped their prices such that T-Mobile prepaid is cheaper or equal on every tier.

Solavei does not support LTE. Period.

Solavei does support conditional call forwarding - so you can use Google Voice.

Solavei does not support any short SMS codes except for Facebook and a couple of others. This was the dealbreaker for me - I frequently use short SMS to try and figure out where my bus is. They block short SMS and send back a message stating "Free msg: Unable to send message - Message Blocking is active".

Solavei spams you a couple of times a month via text with offers, and very regularly via email with tips on how to increase your sales.

I just tried to port my # back to T-Mobile prepaid from Solavei - the reps said they kept getting "incorrect zip code" errors, then my phone decided "oh hey this SIM isn't active" in mid-call and hung up on them. So now I'm stuck with both a Solavei and T-Mobile SIM that don't work.

I would have handled the account online, but stupid me thought "oh hey, as long as I have the SIM plastic itself I can throw away the rest of this poo poo" when I got the T-Mo prepaid SIM, not realizing there was an activation code in the paper mailer.... and my Solavei account is due for a refill over the weekend, so it's either walk into a T-Mo store and try to snag another SIM or handle it over the phone, because I'm sure as gently caress not paying for another month for Solavei.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.

Parker Lewis posted:

Because I have two front pockets on my pants and my keys go in one and my phone goes in the other. The iPhone 5S takes fine pictures, I'm not going to start carting a Canon PowerShot around everywhere I go because the Moto X is slow to get software updates on Republic Wireless.

Didn't Motorola put their camera app in the Play Store so you can get updates for it without system updates?

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

PurpleJesus posted:

Didn't Motorola put their camera app in the Play Store so you can get updates for it without system updates?

You're right, they did, nice.

Alpha Lyrae
May 25, 2011

A star made in flesh
3 days using my RW Moto X and I am loving it. Magnitudes better than the experience using their Defy XT.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

Mister Fister posted:

For the Moto X, do you have to use the "Ok Google Now" phrase to activate voice commands, or does it let you shorten it to "Ok Google"?

Isn't it just ok google on every phone with that new google launcher? It is on mine.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Haven't seen this mentioned yet. You can now activate the Google Nexus 5 on Ting, the MVNO that runs on Sprint's network. Their pricing structure is great as long as you don't use too much data.

https://ting.com/devices/buy/nexus5-sim
Just buy their microSIM (same part# as Sprint's LTE/worldmode SIMS: SIMGLW206R) and supply your own Nexus 5 from the Play Store. It has to be purchased from the Play Store; devices from Sprint, Amazon, and Best Buy won't work. I don't know what's different about Sprint-distributed Nexus 5s, but it can't be a SIM-lock issue.

If you can convince an employee at a Sprint Store to give you a SIMGLW206R LTE SIM, you can use that. Doesn't have to be a Ting SIM.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

goku chewbacca posted:

Their pricing structure is great as long as you don't use too much data.

If you're on Sprint's network it's pretty hard to use too much data :v

I'm switching away from a Sprint MVNO to prepaid. The T-Mobile $30 plan sounds great, because I make very few calls, except that I have to sit in on a conference call once a month that usually lasts 2-2.5 hours. I'm usually home for it, so I could use VoIP, but it sounds like all of that is going away in May? Or do you just have to use Google's servers? Also T-Mobile's service is just rated "good" in my area, how good is "good?" Will I get 4g?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So my wife finally decided to go AIO. She has never had a smartphone and has the same old ATT plan for over 10 years and uses an olddddd rear end flip phone.

She orders the Lumia 620 and takes it out of the box and powers it on. It immediately has a defective screen. There's a whole streak of dead pixels from top to bottom. She calls support and they tell her that she has to send the phone back and they will keep it and determine whether she broke it or not and then if they determine it arrived defective then they'll send a new one. They estimate about a week turnaround. That's a week without a phone. They literally expect someone to go a week without a phone? They have no program in place to send an advanced replacement at all. She elevated it to the supervisors and got the same message. That's pretty lovely.

She was wary about switching already and then this just discourages her more. She said she'd cancel and they said "that's fine, but you won't get a refund." Ugh.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

BonoMan posted:

So my wife finally decided to go AIO. She has never had a smartphone and has the same old ATT plan for over 10 years and uses an olddddd rear end flip phone.

She orders the Lumia 620 and takes it out of the box and powers it on. It immediately has a defective screen. There's a whole streak of dead pixels from top to bottom. She calls support and they tell her that she has to send the phone back and they will keep it and determine whether she broke it or not and then if they determine it arrived defective then they'll send a new one. They estimate about a week turnaround. That's a week without a phone. They literally expect someone to go a week without a phone? They have no program in place to send an advanced replacement at all. She elevated it to the supervisors and got the same message. That's pretty lovely.

She was wary about switching already and then this just discourages her more. She said she'd cancel and they said "that's fine, but you won't get a refund." Ugh.

Who exactly was she talking to? The AIO people? Why would you buy a phone from AIO when you can just buy it from Amazon or anywhere else that will do proper returns?

Toilet Clam posted:

If you're on Sprint's network it's pretty hard to use too much data :v

I'm switching away from a Sprint MVNO to prepaid. The T-Mobile $30 plan sounds great, because I make very few calls, except that I have to sit in on a conference call once a month that usually lasts 2-2.5 hours. I'm usually home for it, so I could use VoIP, but it sounds like all of that is going away in May? Or do you just have to use Google's servers? Also T-Mobile's service is just rated "good" in my area, how good is "good?" Will I get 4g?

VoIP can't just "go away". What would that even mean? If you have a solid connection, wifi preferred, you can use voip to get unlimited minutes.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America

Toilet Clam posted:

The T-Mobile $30 plan sounds great, because I make very few calls, except that I have to sit in on a conference call once a month that usually lasts 2-2.5 hours. I'm usually home for it, so I could use VoIP, but it sounds like all of that is going away in May? Or do you just have to use Google's servers? Also T-Mobile's service is just rated "good" in my area, how good is "good?" Will I get 4g?

Not sure if this is an option for you but I'd recommend just using your computer to make this call. I'm at a computer all day and end up needing to call into a conference call every morning and then smaller calls throughout the day. Started using Google Hangouts on the computer with this headset and it is great.

Another benefit is that everyone agrees I'm easier to understand when calling through my computer.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="422567532"]
Who exactly was she talking to? The AIO people? Why would you buy a phone from AIO when you can just buy it from Amazon or anywhere else that will do proper returns?

Because they offer the Lumia 620 for $100 which she really likes. I ordered mine from them when I switched over and all was well.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="422567532"]
VoIP can't just "go away". What would that even mean? If you have a solid connection, wifi preferred, you can use voip to get unlimited minutes.

:rolleyes: Yeah, I meant that all VoIP worldwide is disappearing, and not that grooveip is shutting down, which is how I've usually seen people recommend doing VoIP on Android.

Niyqor posted:

Not sure if this is an option for you but I'd recommend just using your computer to make this call. I'm at a computer all day and end up needing to call into a conference call every morning and then smaller calls throughout the day. Started using Google Hangouts on the computer with this headset and it is great.

Another benefit is that everyone agrees I'm easier to understand when calling through my computer.

Dunno why I didn't think of this. Thanks!

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Toilet Clam posted:

:rolleyes: Yeah, I meant that all VoIP worldwide is disappearing, and not that grooveip is shutting down, which is how I've usually seen people recommend doing VoIP on Android.

If you're going to ask a question that implies there is only one option for voip on Android phones, then don't be surprised at the responses.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="422569672"]
If you're going to ask a question that implies there is only one option for voip on Android phones, then don't be surprised at the responses.

Why don't you tell me what they are then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.
Switched from the T-Mobile dork plan to a Straight talk $45 a month unlimited, and I'm very happy with it so far. Even had to call customer service for an issue porting my number and that went well. The 4 pack SIM card thing that comes with the Straight talk kit is awesome as hell.

Would have loved to stick with t-mobile, but the edge everywhere around me was a deal breaker.

• Locked thread