Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Working my way through Supernatural. Slow dancing with an alien is just loving hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

I'm speeding through the first series of American Horror Story. I'm not usually a fan of horror but I am loving this to bits - somebody please tell me the second series is as good, I'm worried that the change in storyline will ruin it :ohdear:

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Greyish Orange posted:

I'm speeding through the first series of American Horror Story. I'm not usually a fan of horror but I am loving this to bits - somebody please tell me the second series is as good, I'm worried that the change in storyline will ruin it :ohdear:

The second season is even better.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I just finished the second season of The West Wing about five minutes ago.

Holy poo poo the last half of the season is just one gut punch after another. And that last shot in Two Cathedrals; hands in pockets, look to the side, smile... :suspense:

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
I'm on my semi-annual TV binge and have caught up with Person of Interest, which is seriously getting better and better for some reason, Rectify, which is both slow and uncomfortable, but very compelling and have started on both Boardwalk Empire and The Americans. I haven't formed an opinion about the former yet, while The Americans might simply be a mediocre show that triggers repressed memories of Scarecrow and Mrs. King and Cold War era novels about comical accents, a faint smell of cabbage and drab misery, yes? Soviet Russia. Does it get better?

a podcast for cats fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 13, 2013

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

calandryll posted:

Working my way through Supernatural. Slow dancing with an alien is just loving hilarious.

Trickster episodes of Supernatural are always awesome.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Tonton Macoute posted:

I'm on my semi-annual TV binge and have caught up with Person of Interest, which is seriously getting better and better for some reason, Rectify, which is both slow and uncomfortable, but very compelling and have started on both Boardwalk Empire and The Americans. I haven't formed an opinion about the former yet, while The Americans might simply be a mediocre show that triggers repressed memories of Scarecrow and Mrs. King and Cold War era novels about comical accents, a faint smell of cabbage and drab misery, yes? Soviet Russia. Does it get better?

I think most people found The Americans very consitent. If you don't like the opening episodes, it's probably not for you.

Boardwalk Empire, however, improves massively between Season 1 and 2, so that's worth sticking with, even if you find the first season tough going at times.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

I know it sounds dumb but you have to treat season 1 of Boardwalk like a prologue to season 2. From then on Boardwalk is just fantastic but it really, really likes to set poo poo up. Personally I think it's one of the show's greatest strengths since that set up always pays off but it may be jarring if you're not used to that kind of program structure.

Also The Americans owns. It has a great season finale and I can't wait until it comes back next year but it's also one of those shows I can see loving up royally if they're not careful.

Lugaloco fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 14, 2013

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Lugaloco posted:

I know it sounds dumb but you have to treat season 1 of Boardwalk like a prologue to season 2. From then on Boardwalk is just fantastic but it really, really likes to set poo poo up. Personally I think it's one of the show's greatest strengths since that set up always pays off but it may be jarring if you're not used to that kind of program structure.

I've grown to love the set-up just as much as the pay off. You may feel like you are bombarded with characters, storylines, and locations in seasons one and two, and I know that I had a hard time following it all at times, but you grow to love/hate and appreciate each character and story. Once you get towards the end of season 2 and season 3, you'll understand. Boardwalk Empire rewards you handsomely for watching and paying attention, but understand that it isn't for everybody. Now that Breaking Bad is over, I would venture to say that BE and Eastbound and Down are in a dead heat for best show currently on television.

Spalec posted:

I've just started watching The X Files on Netflix, I've seen episodes here and there back when it was on live but I never sat down and watched week to week. I'm enjoying it already, although some of the 90's as poo poo tech/fashions is very funny.

It amazes me that despite the awful technology and fashion, the subject matter in a lot of the MotW episodes are still very relevant today. I won't name specifics because I don't want to spoil anything, however minor, but they were talking about advancements in technology, medicine, and biology on this show that we are still developing and just learning about now in 2013. There were a lot of concepts that I didn't even know existed in the 90's. I still binge-watch the X-Files every two to three years or so, and I can say that it has aged very well. Yes, they hosed up the mythology in the last few seasons, but I still enjoy the mythology up until about season 5.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
I thought The Americans was great acting and terrible TV bullshit writing. Some of the best child performances I think I've ever seen, and Gregory is an amazing character.

When I say terrible writing, it's not that it's predictable moment to moment, but it follows pretty much all the most common spy fiction tropes, leading the main characters to be the least interesting in the show.

I love good acting though and mostly watch shows for good characters, so I'll keep up with it when it returns.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

dvorak posted:

I thought The Americans was great acting and terrible TV bullshit writing. Some of the best child performances I think I've ever seen, and Gregory is an amazing character.

When I say terrible writing, it's not that it's predictable moment to moment, but it follows pretty much all the most common spy fiction tropes, leading the main characters to be the least interesting in the show.

I think this is pretty much the problem I have with the series. The good is too good to stop watching it, but the bad is too bad to suspend disbelief while doing so.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoyed the Americans but I also agree with the above criticism. In particular, the finale, as fun as it was, felt way over the top to me, so I'm a bit worried that the show will go all Homeland on us in S2. But the first one is definitely worth watching and I'll give season 2 a chance as well.

As for the X-Files, I also only saw the majority of the episodes fairly recently - I think I watched the Doggett episodes for the first time this year. Except for a few episodes that probably weren't so hot back in the day either (like, oh, first person shooter?), the MOTW and mythology episodes (until the first movie, at least) still work very well.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

I'm binge rewatching Friday Night Lights but could only find the season 1/2 threads. Anyone know where I can find the 3/4/5 threads? My google-fu is weak here

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Having just burned through Red Dwarf and Scrubs, I'm currently on QI (Quite Interesting)

It is so good!

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Right now I'm a few episodes into season two of Twin Peaks. Season one was fantasticly weird, and I'm not sure why it took me four different tries over two years of watching the first three episodes each time to finally see the rest, but I'm glad I did.

There's definitely something off about the feel of this second season compared to the first though. I can't place my finger on it, but it has a different vibe. Still enjoying it though, and I'm looking forward to seeing what else unfolds (and I hear it gets really dumb so that should be a treat).

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
You know, season 1 of Twin Peaks is truly great, but season 2 is when the supernatural elements get introduced (from episode 1 of season 2 with Cooper's vision of the Giant), and that's what really made the show special IMO.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rabbit Hill posted:

You know, season 1 of Twin Peaks is truly great, but season 2 is when the supernatural elements get introduced (from episode 1 of season 2 with Cooper's vision of the Giant), and that's what really made the show special IMO.

I thought Bob was introduced way earlier and he had the dream at the red lodge earlier.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the dream was at the end of the third episode.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I could be mistaken, but I think his vision of the Giant is the first time something supernatural happens in the "real world" in the show. It's been years since I've watched the show, though, so I may be talking out of my rear end.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rabbit Hill posted:

I could be mistaken, but I think his vision of the Giant is the first time something supernatural happens in the "real world" in the show. It's been years since I've watched the show, though, so I may be talking out of my rear end.

I am almost positive Laura's mom sees BOB a couple of times in the first season.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You're right, she has a memory of seeing him hiding behind Laura's bed in the pilot (or first episode). BUT the Giant appears for the first time in episode 1 of season 2, and he's awesome, so that's worth celebrating. :3:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I'm halfway through season 2 of Farscape and holy poo poo is this show awesome. It's hard for me to think of another series where I care as much about every single character as I do with the Farscape cast, including Moya which is a goddamn spaceship. The leads are fantastic and the scripts are amazing not to mention the set design. I get now why all my friends used to rave about it. Why the gently caress did I not watch it back then?!

I'm also about the same into Babylon 5 and that is some good poo poo too, and as I understand from the general consensus I'm not even into the good stuff yet. Farscape is definitely my favorite though.

Given those, should I give Lexx a shot? I watched about 20 minutes of the pilot a while back but it just didn't grab me at the time. Worth another chance?

isaboo fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 24, 2013

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I enjoyed both Lexx and Farscape but never tried Babylon5.
However nostalgia reminds me of other shows I watched around then, and Spiders springs to mind. I guess that's my next week sorted.

Edit: ugh iPhone corrections

Spiteski fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 25, 2013

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

pahuyuth posted:

Given those, should I give Lexx a shot? I watched about 20 minutes of the pilot a while back but it just didn't grab me at the time. Worth another chance?

Lexx is like Farscape if someone had slipped it ecstasy andthrown it into an orgy. I liked the first season(/original 4 movies), didn't catch much of the rest, but it's definitely not going to be everyone's thing.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Just finished all 8 episodes of Broadchurch. I am not normally a big fan of murder mysteries, but i thought i would give it a shot because of David Tennant, I was hooked after the first episode.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I just watched the entire first season of Orange is the New Black in 3 days. Soooo good. I can't wait for season 2.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Oasx posted:

Just finished all 8 episodes of Broadchurch. I am not normally a big fan of murder mysteries, but i thought i would give it a shot because of David Tennant, I was hooked after the first episode.

I hadn't heard of this and now I want to watch it. It seems funny to me that it's getting an American remake ... with David Tennant once again in the lead but playing an American. I was curious how that would work out and found a clip from a pilot for a show that never went anywhere, and if I couldn't see the video I never would think it's him. I mean, I know he faked the English accent through his time as the Doctor, but when I hear him speaking naturally he's still recognizable to me.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
I just wanted to share that last night I finished The Office, after watching the entire series the first time. I had previously refused to watch it, mostly because I found the fans annoying and I was never really a fan of Steve Carrell.

Anyways, the scene in the finale when Michael shows up seriously shocked the hell out of me. I don't know how I never heard that Carrell actually made an appearance, because as far as I knew, he refused to come back. I was just sitting here watching it with my girlfriend, who had already seen it, and I was bitching about Carrell not wanting to come back and to her credit she did an amazing job of not spoiling the surprise. When Jim tells Dwight that the best man has to be older, I jokingly told her that it would be perfect if it was Michael, and she called me an rear end in a top hat. I just laughed because I assumed that whoever was the best man paled significantly in comparison to Michael, then I looked back and he was on screen. I seriously flipped my poo poo, and I could not believe it.

Overall I have to say I'm very happy I watched the show and I'm sad it's over. I had sad before that I thought Parks and Rec, which I'm a pretty big fan of, was the superior show, but I've changed my mind since finishing The Office. I can't imagine being this sad when Parks eventually ends.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Officer Farva posted:

I just wanted to share that last night I finished The Office, after watching the entire series the first time. I had previously refused to watch it, mostly because I found the fans annoying and I was never really a fan of Steve Carrell.

Anyways, the scene in the finale when Michael shows up seriously shocked the hell out of me. I don't know how I never heard that Carrell actually made an appearance, because as far as I knew, he refused to come back. I was just sitting here watching it with my girlfriend, who had already seen it, and I was bitching about Carrell not wanting to come back and to her credit she did an amazing job of not spoiling the surprise. When Jim tells Dwight that the best man has to be older, I jokingly told her that it would be perfect if it was Michael, and she called me an rear end in a top hat. I just laughed because I assumed that whoever was the best man paled significantly in comparison to Michael, then I looked back and he was on screen. I seriously flipped my poo poo, and I could not believe it.

Overall I have to say I'm very happy I watched the show and I'm sad it's over. I had sad before that I thought Parks and Rec, which I'm a pretty big fan of, was the superior show, but I've changed my mind since finishing The Office. I can't imagine being this sad when Parks eventually ends.

That's saying a lot because the some of Season 9, most of 7 and almost all of 8 were pretty unfunny. What did you think? I have to admit, as up and down as those seasons were- fans of the early seasons owe it to themselves to watch the finale. Not the best episode of the series- but an incredibly well-done wrap up which is more than anyone expected.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I watched the entirety of The Office this summer on a whim, having no idea it had just ended. I had always stayed away from it because I don't really like awkward comedy. I don't like when awkward people are just played for a laugh, it just makes me uncomfortable. However, I watched the first season and was really hooked. It was the moments of genuine niceness between Michael and some of the others that did it more than anything else, since it made everything seem all in good fun rather than just picking on someone who had no social skills.

When getting near the end of the series, I didn't know anything about fan reaction to the later seasons, but I definitely didn't like them. Robert Kalifornia was just so incredibly unfunny as a character. There was none of that playfulness, he was just mean and self-involved. I didn't like him even during that first interview scene where afterwards they all talked about how great he is. I really don't know what they were thinking. And having Andy just disappear for basically a whole season made no sense to me at all. The two of them had none of the dynamic that Michael and Jan or Michael and David did. It was just horrible to watch.

I didn't mind the almost-affair with the cameraman, although I wish they would have gotten more into it or abandoned it entirely, since it was kinda half-assed. It's like they weren't quite sure where they were going with it. Yeah Jim and Pam are perfect, but I liked that they also had cracks in their relationship since they weren't putting too much effort into it.

Despite all that, I did really like the finale. I think they brought it all back quite nicely, since all of these things resolve themselves before then. Overall, I'm glad with how the series ended.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
We're working through the Office now, I think we're on season 3 or 4, it's sad to hear the reaction to recent seasons was bad. We're also going through Breaking Bad on Netflix as I'm sure many others are. At least neither of these have been spoilered for us, which is amazing considering the amount of time I spend online.

Just found out that Farscape is now on Netflix, so I'm going to start watching that too. A friend of mine tried to get me started on Justified, but it's just too cheesy for me. I imagine it's kind of an update of Walker, Texas Ranger but not having seen that it's just a guess. I've also been watching Portlandia and just started The 4400, thank you Netflix! (Now I just need to get Netflix to carry Babylon 5, that's another one I've never seen)

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

CaptainHollywood posted:

That's saying a lot because the some of Season 9, most of 7 and almost all of 8 were pretty unfunny. What did you think? I have to admit, as up and down as those seasons were- fans of the early seasons owe it to themselves to watch the finale. Not the best episode of the series- but an incredibly well-done wrap up which is more than anyone expected.

I thought there were a lot of ups and downs throughout the entire series, and nothing really stood out to me in the later seasons that were any worse than the earlier ones. Pretty much the entire series was full of nothing but hit or miss scenes for me, but when it hit, it was fantastic, and when it missed I just kind of shrugged my shoulders and pressed on. I also hated pretty much all of the characters that were introduced into the office after Michael left. I almost quit watching when Nellie came on.

I will say that the whole "Pam and Jim are having problems and now they're interacting with the documentary crew and, oh, now she's talking to this dude on the side" bullshit was ridiculous and way too forced. I realized during the show that one of the big reasons I never watched The Office is because the only thing I ever heard about was Jim and Pam and their relationship drama (and Michael being an idiot), so I just assumed it was more about them than anything else. But after watching it I realized their relationship was never really that exciting and it was pretty obvious, at least to me, what was going to happen. The relationship I was far more interested in was between Dwight and Angela, and I have to say I was far happier seeing how they end up than any of the other characters.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

krushgroove posted:

A friend of mine tried to get me started on Justified, but it's just too cheesy for me. I imagine it's kind of an update of Walker, Texas Ranger but not having seen that it's just a guess.

If you can get through the first season you'll see it's nothing like Walker Texas Ranger. The first few episodes are just okay, but once Raylan's dad shows up and Boyd Crowder returns it's a hell of a show. You'd be missing out if you judged it by its first few episodes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Chamberk posted:

If you can get through the first season you'll see it's nothing like Walker Texas Ranger. The first few episodes are just okay, but once Raylan's dad shows up and Boyd Crowder returns it's a hell of a show. You'd be missing out if you judged it by its first few episodes.

Did you see the episode with the dentist?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've never seen Walker, Texas Ranger but I think Wynn Duffy could be a villain on that show.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah seriously, don't skip Justified. Near the end of Season 1, it gets good, then after that it's almost a completely serialized story with great characters as well. I'm keeping up with most every popular drama currently on, and Justified is definitely in my top 3 or so for sure.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Chamberk posted:

Alright, I'll give it to the end of the first season. I've gotten past his dad's appearance and honestly forgot about the Boyd character, who at the moment is The Returning Evil Villain it seems. I'm not usually into these sorts of shows so it takes some getting used to.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"
I've been attempting to binge BSG for the past couple of months now, but holy hell, is it hard to get through. Not because it's not quality, but more because of how intense and relentless it is. There are very few cheery things aboard Galactica. Does anyone else ever feel this way about some shows? That they're really hard to digest in large chunks?

Anyway, I'm in the middle of season 3. Enjoying it thus far.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

futurememory posted:

I've been attempting to binge BSG for the past couple of months now, but holy hell, is it hard to get through. Not because it's not quality, but more because of how intense and relentless it is. There are very few cheery things aboard Galactica. Does anyone else ever feel this way about some shows? That they're really hard to digest in large chunks?

Anyway, I'm in the middle of season 3. Enjoying it thus far.

I have definitely felt this about BSG, and to a much greater extent Mad Men (I was able to power through Season 1 but I think I quit about halfway through season 2 and haven't revisited it since).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

krushgroove posted:

Alright, I'll give it to the end of the first season. I've gotten past his dad's appearance and honestly forgot about the Boyd character, who at the moment is The Returning Evil Villain it seems. I'm not usually into these sorts of shows so it takes some getting used to.

Just trust the people in this thread and go watch more Justified. We'll be here when you're done and want to thank us for our wisdom. :smug: