Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Man it's so nice that the top 4 actors in a show (ignoring Katia Winter since even though she's billed starring it's at best a cameo) have 3 of them black and it has nothing to do with being 'in the hood'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Midnight City posted:

Man it's so nice that the top 4 actors in a show (ignoring Katia Winter since even though she's billed starring it's at best a cameo) have 3 of them black and it has nothing to do with being 'in the hood'.

I'd like to point out that the episode had 4 black people in the same room, and then had them chatting with one another, and three were women/female. This happened without the show being on BET, TVOne, or UPN circa 90s/early 2000s.

We are in the future folks.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The four most recurring characters are two black women, a black man, and a white man. Beyond that we add an Asian man, a white woman, and a Latino man. And absolutely zero deal is made of it.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Boogaleeboo posted:

The four most recurring characters are two black women, a black man, and a white man. Beyond that we add an Asian man, a white woman, and a Latino man. And absolutely zero deal is made of it.

Not to mention the severely handicapped horseman.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

CeeJee posted:

Not to mention the severely handicapped horseman.

Finding an appropriate actor for that role was rough. Headless just isn't as common as it used to be.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

I like how they don't even bother to try giving some half assed excuse as to why a treemonster would have blood in its veins, or a heart/brain for Ichabod to axe to death.

The show is above such petty concerns.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Monster-wise, things got pretty Sam Raimi at the end there with the bloody tree limbs and whatnot. Pretty rad stuff.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I was out last night and just caught up this morning. Agreeing with what everyone said about the monster, but also, Tim Mison's acting when Abbie was telling him about his son was really just masterful. Give both of them Emmys already. (I know, sci-fi show, never gonna happen :( )

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Midnight City posted:

I like how they don't even bother to try giving some half assed excuse as to why a treemonster would have blood in its veins, or a heart/brain for Ichabod to axe to death.

Answer: because it looks metal. :colbert:

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Compendium posted:

It's Rue from The Hunger Games!

EDIT: Irving's kid, not Ichabod.

THANK YOU! Even though I just saw Catching Fire I still couldn't place her.

Annakie posted:

I was out last night and just caught up this morning. Agreeing with what everyone said about the monster, but also, Tim Mison's acting when Abbie was telling him about his son was really just masterful. Give both of them Emmys already. (I know, sci-fi show, never gonna happen :( )

I know. My jaw dropped when we found out Crane was a father, and then when Crane found out... all the emotions.

Tupping Liberty fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 26, 2013

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Midnight City posted:

The show understands that it's a magic tree-monster and you really don't have to dip into the technobabble to explain a magic tree-monster.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
This episode felt oddly cheap, several of the scenes that took place in the dark looked and sounded strange. Not that it was a bad episode, it just seemed weird.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

johntfs posted:

The show understands that it's a magic tree-monster and you really don't have to dip into the technobabble to explain a magic tree-monster.

I know, that's pretty much what I said. It's refreshing to just see the show be unrepentant in its absurdity instead of trying to make meager appeals to being 'more realistic'.

There's too many shows these days that try to make excuses or fill in plot holes with pointless and/or idiotic explanations, Sleepy Hollow goes the entirely opposite direction and is 'take me as I am' and I love it for that.

Oasx posted:

This episode felt oddly cheap, several of the scenes that took place in the dark looked and sounded strange. Not that it was a bad episode, it just seemed weird.

Yeah, I noticed it too. Some of the shots looked really, really terrible/cheap. They were all in that house though so it must've been something that went on with the production inside of it.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Oasx posted:

Well, according to one of the writer's tweet:

Explains a lot about the lighting.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Compendium posted:

Well, according to one of the writer's tweet:

Explains a lot about the lighting.

That's actually something I was keeping an eye out for during the episode, and it's just ... not all that common. When we got to the basement scene, I kept noticing flashes of white light on both Ichabod's and Abby's faces. The scenes where they were just using the flashlights and nothing else had none of the weird production value feelings because they were all around the staircase which was well lit by the moonlight/external fog-lights and showed off the setting well.

Midnight City posted:

Surprisingly, I only became conscious of this halfway through the last episode and it made me feel great about the show. Especially with the way the captain's race is never brought in as a motivator for his continued success; just his sense of duty.

RE: The latest episode;

The running gag with Ichabod being blindsided by inflation is weird considering he was a University professor at some point in his past.

I couldn't stop smiling at Irving/Jenny's flirting about with her stealing guns from him and then asking him over for thanksgiving. There were some beautiful smiles shared during that scene, and I can't help but think that the actors had one hell of a behind-the-scenes joke going on because they seemed so entertained.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I ain't no expert on Cameras...but it looked like the either increased or decreased the shutter speed (forgot which one does which) so the flashing lights don't bother the camera.

A more inferior show, Dexter, did the same thing with the same disastrous results. I can't find the video, but it's in the episode called "Run", where Dexter runs through all these strobe lights. It looked like Dr. Who, or The Hobbit.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I just got a new HDTV this weekend and have been in "calibration mode" ever since, and once they were in what I assume were the flashlight-only scenes the video quality seemed to change.

Personally, I'm going to use those scenes to help test my setup some more.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I hope the tree monster's blood filled limbs were a callback to Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow. I love that movie.

Also, Abby has great trigger discipline.
:allears:

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

Ernutetnoiraud posted:

I couldn't stop smiling at Irving/Jenny's flirting about with her stealing guns from him and then asking him over for thanksgiving. There were some beautiful smiles shared during that scene, and I can't help but think that the actors had one hell of a behind-the-scenes joke going on because they seemed so entertained.

Orlando's short and quick responses gave just the right balance of annoyance and affection. They're gonna be good pals soon :3::

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

This weeks monster was such a human being.
I love this show.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

10 Beers posted:

I hope the tree monster's blood filled limbs were a callback to Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow. I love that movie.

Also, Abby has great trigger discipline.
:allears:

I thought this too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcOENbnXxQ4

Pretty fun scene.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I just realized, remember when Morales called Oxford about Crane and they said he was a teacher there a few episodes back? That actually could have been referencing a living descendent all along instead of just being a front.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Accordion Man posted:

I just realized, remember when Morales called Oxford about Crane and they said he was a teacher there a few episodes back? That actually could have been referencing a living descendent all along instead of just being a front.

This is unlikely, but it would be awesome. That phone call also said that Professor Crane was on load to Law Enforcement in the US, so either it was a cover, or Crane's descendant is also in country, working as a police consultant. Which would be pretty funny.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I loving marked out for Berserker Ichabod. I have no other way to describe it, I marked.

"Give Moloch my regards." loving BADASS.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Midnight City posted:

Well with Death we've been show that Molach needs a human vessel. It wouldn't be to crazy to assume tree monster is just another human he perverted to make a new type of monster.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I found this cool poster on The Twitter. Don't know if it's real or fan made...but it's cool as hell, and I want a whole set. :colbert:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CelticPredator posted:

I found this cool poster on The Twitter. Don't know if it's real or fan made...but it's cool as hell, and I want a whole set. :colbert:

That's Francesco Francavilla. He did similar ones for Breaking Bad. Here's the rest so far.

He's still working on 1.07.

http://francavillarts.tumblr.com/

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
There's a real Mike Mignola vibe to those.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wow! Thank you for that! Those are all so great. Especially 03 and 08.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
I want Crane's reactions to airplanes and space travel and so many things. If the show was only about his reactions to modern day life i would be happy with that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Killstick posted:

I want Crane's reactions to airplanes and space travel and so many things. If the show was only about his reactions to modern day life i would be happy with that.

There should be an episode where Crane has to go undercover as an intern at a software company or something but Abby is talking to him through an earpiece so he can bullshit his way through it.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Have we seen Ichabod handling modern currency yet?

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

mcbexx posted:

Not onscreen as far as I know, though I do recall his comments about buying water and the "ten percent levy on baked goods."

We do have a clue as to what brand of body spray he prefers:

AXE.

johntfs fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 27, 2013

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

mcbexx posted:

He hasn't used cash yet, but the police psychologist gave him a dollar in the pilot to show how much time had passed.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
All I'm waiting for is the inevitable episode where Icahbod has to go to New York City. That and plane travel.

Just make the show Ichabod sitting in front of a conveyor belt of modern appliances and reacting to them.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Quite an original twist on the MotW formula they used so far. Our heroes have escaped the monster for the first time and had their exposition dump, now it's time to figure out what the monster's ironic weakness is and apply that and learn an important life lesson from doing it go on a tree-murder spree with an axe:black101:

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Deadpool posted:

That's Francesco Francavilla. He did similar ones for Breaking Bad. Here's the rest so far.

He's still working on 1.07.

http://francavillarts.tumblr.com/
(And make sure to read his Hawkeye comics.)

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Snak posted:

This is unlikely, but it would be awesome. That phone call also said that Professor Crane was on load to Law Enforcement in the US, so either it was a cover, or Crane's descendant is also in country, working as a police consultant. Which would be pretty funny.

His descendant is named Sherlock Holmes. Ichabod and Abbie fly to New York City to find him and his partner, Joan Watson.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

KilGrey posted:

His descendant is named Sherlock Holmes. Ichabod and Abbie fly to New York City to find him and his partner, Joan Watson.

I would watch that...I am so sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I would watch that...I am so sorry.

Don't be. That is a wonderful idea, and anyone who says otherwise is a joyless husk of a person. :colbert:

• Locked thread