Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blastoise
Nov 9, 2010

Onward, Sancho!

Metal Loaf posted:

It looks like an honest one, though.

I wasn't expecting much, but you'd think tropers would at least try and make a story about a crime-ridden city run by gangsters interesting, but instead we get the first chapter told from the point of view of a very boring narrator who wants to make sure that we know he's boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Blastoise posted:

I wasn't expecting much, but you'd think tropers would at least try and make a story about a crime-ridden city run by gangsters interesting, but instead we get the first chapter told from the point of view of a very boring narrator who wants to make sure that we know he's boring.

It's pretty much anime again. A lot of the crappier anime has boring protagonists with no real distinguishing features of any kind, so it's easier for the audience to insert themselves in.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

quote:

A character on the novel he's writing: "I'd say I'm about 90% done. All I have to do is come up with a plot, setting, and characters."

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

"I'd say I'm about 90% done. All I have to do is come up with a plot, setting, and characters."

What's the other 10% he was working on?

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Penny Paper posted:

I think you mean 90%.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Penny Paper posted:

The strict rules of the magic system that will be used in the novel and rape scenes.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Help this poor troper improve his fanfic idea

quote:

The weird plot I had going for this one was Denzel x Marlene. (Another OC was introduced, and actually given a princess of heart role, but she's really just there to grease the wheels). Conducted entirely from Denzel's POV, Denzel is out taking Marlene to lunch one day when Heartless/Nobodies attack and suck them away into another world. Denzel gets a Keyblade, wonders what the ever loving hell is going on, and almost loses Marlene.

Knowing absolutely nothing, he's almost lost in the dark when Marlene's Princess of Heart (yep, I made her one too) activates and saves them. Cyra (the OC - no romance to be found here, I LOVE Marlene x Denzel pairings! ((older, of course))) finds them in Traverse Town and gives Denzel a very rough rundown on the world, and acts as a guide.

So they start shutting down keyholes, and eventually, Denzel has to go back to FF 7 world to close that one. He's been gone over six months their time, and everybody believes him dead. The Turks find him in Edge's Meteor Square, and shortly after, Cloud comes. A huge Heartless crashes the party shortly afterward. Much like Advent Children, the group comes together to defeat it. Denzel then has to explain where the hell he went, and why.

Never figured out much more than that. But I created an AU where Denzel was actually a younger brother to an older sister (who I never fleshed out), on a world responsible for bearing most Keyblade wielders. It came under attack due to horrific secret it was keeping, and was gobbled up by the dark. Older sister, knowing Denzel was too young to fight them off, sustained mortal wounds and transported Denzel to Midgar.

Twisting two adult's memories (Denzel's "parents") she gave Denzel a loving home/family. As she died, she was forgotten, as her heart shattered, and Denzel had no memory of his past life.

Reasoning for this: I thought it would fit well with why he came down with Jenova's disease. It attacks things foreign to the planet. . . so what if Denzel was never from that world?

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

crowfeathers posted:

Help this poor troper improve his fanfic idea

Ctrl+A, Backspace.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Fuego Fish posted:

It's pretty much anime again. A lot of the crappier anime has boring protagonists with no real distinguishing features of any kind, so it's easier for the audience to insert themselves in.

I feel obligated to quote the brilliant picture from earlier in this thread.

RoeCocoa posted:

I drew a picture of Ran based on this description:

Now, I know what you're thinking: don't cartoon characters normally have four digits instead of five? Well, it turns out that animes tend to have the full complement of fingers on each hand. I'm glad I took the time to look that up, though; I wouldn't want my art to suffer due to a lapse in my research.

Really now, it's too bad the English language doesn't have different words for different shades of red.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Darth TNT posted:

Really now, it's too bad the English language doesn't have different words for different shades of red.
Pink, rouge, burgundy, salmon, crimson, blood-red, coral, brick, rose, wine, cherry, chestnut, ruby, scarlet, copper, vermillion! :rant: Anything but saying "red" one more loving time.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

I take offense to that, because there are so different words for different shades of red: garnet, scarlet, vermillion, pink (yeah, it's its own color, but it is considered a shade of red), carmine, ruby, rust, maroon, Spanish red, crimson -- I can go on. Hell, even ginger, strawberry blonde, and auburn count (but only if you're describing hair color).

What language is he speaking that doesn't have different words for the color red? Illiterate gently caress. Use a thesaurus right.

Edit: Ah, hell. Someone answered that before me (and came up with similar examples). But my point remains valid. Use a thesaurus right -- and don't abuse it. That's the kind of rookie writing mistake I made when I was in fifth through seventh grade.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Quoted in its entirety so you guys can stop missing the joke:

RoeCocoa posted:

a lovely anime story posted:

red, almost pinkish hair
Her red hair was a shade darker than Ran’s
it was of a dark pinkish red
red knee-length skirt
red ribbon choker
The skin was a bright metallic red
large red jewel
mantle of deep red, almost brown
bright red jewel

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I didn't miss the joke, writing like that is a pet peeve of mine. :colbert:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Penny Paper posted:

I take offense to that, because there are so different words for different shades of red: garnet, scarlet, vermillion, pink (yeah, it's its own color, but it is considered a shade of red), carmine, ruby, rust, maroon, Spanish red, crimson -- I can go on. Hell, even ginger, strawberry blonde, and auburn count (but only if you're describing hair color).

What language is he speaking that doesn't have different words for the color red? Illiterate gently caress. Use a thesaurus right.

Edit: Ah, hell. Someone answered that before me (and came up with similar examples). But my point remains valid. Use a thesaurus right -- and don't abuse it. That's the kind of rookie writing mistake I made when I was in fifth through seventh grade.

Something that's Quite Interesting about words for colours is that it hugely influences how we see them. For example, the English language considers Red and Pink to be two different colours, when really Pink is just a shade of Red. However, this means that English speakers very rarely confuse the two shades. By comparison, Japanese considers Blue and Green to be the same basic colour, differentiated by shades. If you've ever wondered why traffic lights sometimes seem blue in Japanese media, this is why. It's harder for speakers of Japanese to visually distinguish between Green and Blue than for English speakers.

Going the other way, at least one language (I think it's Russian, but I'm not sure) considers Blue and Cyan to be two completely different colours. (for those too lazy to look it up, Cyan is baby blue. Cyan is to Blue as Pink is to Red.) In a test where either Cyan or Blue was shown to a test subject, when asked later, English speakers had much more difficulty recalling which shade they had been shown, because their brains just remembered it as "blue".

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

DStecks posted:

Something that's Quite Interesting about words for colours is that it hugely influences how we see them. For example, the English language considers Red and Pink to be two different colours, when really Pink is just a shade of Red. However, this means that English speakers very rarely confuse the two shades. By comparison, Japanese considers Blue and Green to be the same basic colour, differentiated by shades. If you've ever wondered why traffic lights sometimes seem blue in Japanese media, this is why. It's harder for speakers of Japanese to visually distinguish between Green and Blue than for English speakers.

Going the other way, at least one language (I think it's Russian, but I'm not sure) considers Blue and Cyan to be two completely different colours. (for those too lazy to look it up, Cyan is baby blue. Cyan is to Blue as Pink is to Red.) In a test where either Cyan or Blue was shown to a test subject, when asked later, English speakers had much more difficulty recalling which shade they had been shown, because their brains just remembered it as "blue".

Well, cyan is similar to blue if you're learning about the primary colors of light (magenta, cyan, and yellow) as opposed to the primary colors of pigment (red, blue, and yellow), so that does explain why people would confuse blue with cyan. I'm going by what I remember from my middle school art class and my high school science class. If anyone wants to correct me or fill in without derailing too much, then be my guest.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

DStecks posted:

Going the other way, at least one language (I think it's Russian, but I'm not sure) considers Blue and Cyan to be two completely different colours.
It's Russian. Siniy is blue; goluboy is cyan. :rus101:

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Penny Paper posted:

Well, cyan is similar to blue if you're learning about the primary colors of light (magenta, cyan, and yellow) as opposed to the primary colors of pigment (red, blue, and yellow), so that does explain why people would confuse blue with cyan. I'm going by what I remember from my middle school art class and my high school science class. If anyone wants to correct me or fill in without derailing too much, then be my guest.

Pretty sure that the primary colours of light are red, green, and blue, and the primary colours of pigment are cyan, yellow, and magenta. You can check it by opening MSPaint and comparing the colour selector to your printer ink cartridges.

Also I'm posting from my phone, so putting two quotes in is a pain, but Japanese has separate words for blue and green, and nobody I've ever known has had trouble distinguishing them. The differentiation is recent, though, and they call traffic signals blue because that's the way they've always done it. I've also heard that they used to be blue but can't find an actual cite for that. Either way it's more representative of the Japanese resistance to change than a lack of ability to tell colours apart.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

EKDS5k posted:

Pretty sure that the primary colours of light are red, green, and blue, and the primary colours of pigment are cyan, yellow, and magenta. You can check it by opening MSPaint and comparing the colour selector to your printer ink cartridges.

I remember now (from both my science textbook and memories of watching The Powerpuff Girls. Yeah, it seems like something a troper would do, but the artists really did use red [or rather pink], blue, and green to color code Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup and, Troper or not, it's hard not to see it). I got them mixed up. My apologies.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Fuego Fish posted:

To be fair, that's more indicative of lovely media aimed at teenagers than anime in general.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Penny Paper posted:

Cyan is no more similar to blue than pink is to red. You just see red and pink as obviously different because that's how your English-speaking brain processes them.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Jabrosky is still constantly making art and it's generally pretty racist when he's not drawing dinosaurs.

quote:

Queen Tiye, the Egyptian Queen who was Amenhotep III’s senior wife and King Tut’s grandmother, supports the cow’s horn and sun disk of the goddess Hathor atop her coiffure. It must have been difficult to balance if she ever wore such a getup in real life, but then African people’s hair is apparently great for sticking stuff into it.

Although there is an authentic bust of Queen Tiye featuring this hairstyle and headdress, the face paint was inspired by the Surma people of southwestern Ethiopia. Most modern artists draw the Egyptians’ makeup as resembling European-style eyeshadow and eyeliner, but I like to think the Egyptians would have applied it in a different, more creative way than this.
We all know Jabrosky has a 'thing' for Africanizing Egyptians, but at least it's a somewhat-faithful (if lovely) recreation of the real bust of Tiye. But Tiye lived right around the reign of Akhenaten, a pharaoh who pushed for a sudden shift in artistic style. Maybe the bust resembles Tiye, or maybe it's just trying to look Akhenateny. For an example, compare the very-Akhenateny relief of Nefertiti with the less-Akhenateny bust of Nefertiti. Drawing her black is kind of lovely history.

Giving her Sub-Saharan African facepaint is just straight-up Jabrosky's racist fetish. Egyptians drew themselves with makeup on. We know what it looked like.

quote:

When the song “California Gurls” played on the radio today, this was exactly the scene that came to my imagination. Complete with the cheerful-looking Lythronax argestes in the background. Admittedly that new tyrannosaurine was found in Utah rather than California, but these dinosaurs probably had an extensive range, and I wanted to jump on the Lythronax paleo-art bandwagon anyway.
A look into Jabrosky's subconscious: unrealistically proportioned black women, jungles, and dinosaurs.

quote:

My vision of the great Islamic warrior sultan Salah ad-Din Yusuf ibn Ayyub, better known in the West as Saladin who fought the Crusaders. Although he would become Sultan of Egypt and founder of the Ayyubid dynasty there, he was actually born in Iraq and was of (Indo-Iranian or "Aryan") Kurdish descent. Very few if any recorded physical descriptions of him have survived to the present day, but I’ve given my Saladin blond hair and green eyes to reflect his "Aryan" ethnic heritage. Some people might think I’m racially whitewashing his character, but then most of the Egyptian characters in my artwork are Black African types and so I wanted to draw a historical person who lived in Egypt that was nonetheless lighter-skinned.
Yes, Saladin looked like Jarl Ulfric from Skyrim in the Hammerfell soldiers' outfits from Skyrim.

quote:

Cleopatra VII, the last matriarch of the Ptolemaic Dynasty and the most famous of them all, stands on a balcony within eyesight of the Pharos Lighthouse in Alexandria. Like my last two drawings of rulers from the ancient world, this picture’s composition is supposed to resemble the leader diplomacy screens in the computer game Civilization V. In addition I wanted the piece to evoke the warm and sunny Caribbean, since Ptolemaic Egypt was similar to the modern Caribbean insofar as it represented a crossroads between European and African cultures.

I think next I will draw the fully native Egyptian Pharaoh Hatshepsut, since the darker sistas need love too.
Cleopatra was Macedonian. This is what she looked like. This is what Ptolemaic queens looked like. They were loving Macedonians you massively racist gently caress.

As a reminder, this is the face of Jabrosky. Which he has, along with his real name and which college he goes to, on his DeviantArt profile. I cannot fathom why anyone would want that.

Djeser fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 29, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Djeser posted:

As a reminder, this is the face of Jabrosky. Which he has, along with his real name and which college he goes to, on his DeviantArt profile. I cannot fathom why anyone would want that.

He looks exactly like I expected.

But... How is does he manage to have a neckbeard while clean-shaven? :psyduck:

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

The Leper Colon V posted:

How is does he manage to have a neckbeard while clean-shaven? :psyduck:

An extra chin is just a beard made of fat.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Djeser posted:

quote:

My vision of the great Islamic warrior sultan Salah ad-Din Yusuf ibn Ayyub, better known in the West as Saladin who fought the Crusaders. Although he would become Sultan of Egypt and founder of the Ayyubid dynasty there, he was actually born in Iraq and was of (Indo-Iranian or "Aryan") Kurdish descent. Very few if any recorded physical descriptions of him have survived to the present day, but I’ve given my Saladin blond hair and green eyes to reflect his "Aryan" ethnic heritage. Some people might think I’m racially whitewashing his character, but then most of the Egyptian characters in my artwork are Black African types and so I wanted to draw a historical person who lived in Egypt that was nonetheless lighter-skinned.

:magical:

Time to play everybody's least favourite game: Ignorant of History, or Literal Nazi?

You know who actually was a light skinned African historical figure who was also a great military leader? loving Hannibal.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

DStecks posted:

:magical:

Time to play everybody's least favourite game: Ignorant of History, or Literal Nazi?

You know who actually was a light skinned African historical figure who was also a great military leader? loving Hannibal.

Oh boy. Oh boy oh boy.

quote:

Third time in two days that I’ve drawn Hannibal Barca, but this time I’ve added some architecture in the background. He’s supposed to be standing on the ramparts of some palace or bastion in his native Carthage. The scene’s composition was supposed to resemble the leader diplomacy screens in the game Civilization V (see here for one example). In fact I might even use it for a Civ mod in the future after I draw a few more for some of the game's other civilizations.

"Hannibal was from Africa, and Carthage was in Africa, so Hannibal must be black and Carthage must look like Mali."

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

DStecks posted:

Cyan is no more similar to blue than pink is to red. You just see red and pink as obviously different because that's how your English-speaking brain processes them.

Good point.

Funambulist
Aug 3, 2012
"Bulbous" is the only word that can describe Jabrosky's face.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

His drawings look like they belong in an early 90s pc game used to teach children (inaccurate) history.

made of bees
May 21, 2013

Djeser posted:

Yes, Saladin looked like Jarl Ulfric from Skyrim in the Hammerfell soldiers' outfits from Skyrim.

So, this man has never seen an Iranian person before, right?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

made of bees posted:

He once saw the poster for Lawrence of Arabia. That counts, right?

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

DStecks posted:

I'm pretty sure I posted in the last TVTropes thread about it, but I actually know Jabrosky from years ago on the internet and have interacted with him directly, so I feel like I should clarify something.

He's not a Nazi, he's just a weirdo with a couple of really specific obsessions that dominate everything he does, or at least everything he shares with the internet. I've seen him rant about the evils of US imperialism and how the military doesn't give a poo poo about brown people and revels in killing them, etc. etc.

What he really seems to want is to be the Sam Worthington character from Avatar, the (white) hero who falls in love with an enemy (black) woman and turns against his own evil (white) people. That kind of story usually has a bunch of racist underpinnings, and I doubt he gives much thought to that poo poo even if he wallows around in it. Like every troper, really. It's not remotely surprising he ended up there.

As for the dinosaurs, he just loving loves em. I don't think there's any more to it.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Yeah, to be fair (?) to him, he's really just obsessed with it. He seems to try to not be racist, like with how he constantly insists that in his stories his white people are the uncultured ones, but then he goes and forces sub-Saharan traits onto anything and everything vaguely connected with Africa. And then draws dinosaurs.

Maybe he had a lot of pulp adventure-type media during his formative years? He always gives me a really strong Worlds of Ultima: The Savage Empire vibe.

As previously alluded, here is Ulfric from Skyrim wearing Hammerfell clothes Ṣalāḥ ad-Dīn Yūsuf ibn Ayyūb.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm still trying to get over "apparently African people’s hair is apparently great for sticking stuff into it" as something someone claiming to be an Afrophile would type. For all his obsession with this topic, has Jabrosky ever actually met a black person? Or, like, talked with one, or reflected at all on the stereotypes and prejudices they've faced? (Don't answer that; I think I know.)

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Antivehicular posted:

I'm still trying to get over "apparently African people’s hair is apparently great for sticking stuff into it" as something someone claiming to be an Afrophile would type. For all his obsession with this topic, has Jabrosky ever actually met a black person? Or, like, talked with one, or reflected at all on the stereotypes and prejudices they've faced? (Don't answer that; I think I know.)

You could say that for anything. Black people, Japanese people, women, people who aren't horrible nerds. The list goes on forever.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

quote:

I'm writing a fic that's a rewrite a show. Before it was cancelled, I believe it was 18 - 20 eps. In terms of dialogue, and just transcribing it, I can hit about 5k. When I flesh it out, each chapter amounts to about 8 - 11k, depending on content, actions, emotions, etc.

As of 12 chpts, I've hit 103k words. This might be a 500k word project before I'm done. And it scares people away, but. . . D:

Why would anyone do that?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

made of bees posted:

Fun fact: Persians are Indo-European. Blonde, blue-eyed, Iranians exist. They've always been a minority, but they do exist.

Saladin was not one, though.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Let me see if I can parse Jabrosky's desire.

He wants to draw middle-eastern and African people, but he also wants to draw one who is white.

I'm seeing a difficulty here.

Also, the Aryan thing is just him conflating actual Aryan people with Hitler's ethnography crap. So, not exactly a Nazi, just somebody who read the word Aryan in two different places and doesn't understand context (like every Troper, ever).

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

What he really seems to want is to be the Sam Worthington character from Avatar, the (white) hero who falls in love with an enemy (black) woman and turns against his own evil (white) people. That kind of story usually has a bunch of racist underpinnings, and I doubt he gives much thought to that poo poo even if he wallows around in it. Like every troper, really. It's not remotely surprising he ended up there.

So he has a thing for white man's burden then?

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

crowfeathers posted:

Why would anyone do that?

I think the better question is "What is it that they're doing?" because, to paraphrase Lisa Simpson in response to that "Yahoo Serious" marquee: "I understand those words, but that post doesn't make sense."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Testekill posted:

So he has a thing for white man's burden then?
White Man's Sexy Burden. :zapp:

• Locked thread