Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Nope.

I honestly don't know where I keep screwing up for RBHP, but while I've been easily able to use customs I'm up to four attempts at using RBHP and it's never worked.

Which really sucks cause they're putting out Pro Drum fixes for RBN songs and I actually use Pro Drums now. :(
There are a few intricacies, but I'll try boiling it down to the basic steps:
- Memory device: create and add RBHP files (one "dummy" and one "upgrades")
- Xbox: delete RB3 cache file and remove whatever device contains your official DLC
- Boot up the game with only the memory device present; it will create a modified cache based on the RBHP files
- Shut off Xbox, re-insert memory device with DLC, reboot game
- The cache is filled out with your actual DLC
- Exit to dashboard. Delete "dummy" from memory device and leave the "upgrades."

How you manage your memory devices may differ (you could theoretically leave the upgrades file on your HDD, for example), but those are the essential steps in the process. Creating the RBHP files can be tricky, but I think the site hosts a pre-built set that can get you started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I got this out and played it a little bit on the pro keyboard after over a year of not playing it during football since the Ravens weren't playing and got bored.

Man if only I could read the charts pro keys would have been so much fun. I really want to do it. But the problem is no matter how much I do it my brain just can't see this in a way that I can make my hand react to it. I'm talking on expert difficulty. The only way to do it for me is to just memorize the whole thing and mostly ignore the charts. And in that case why even play the game?

I applaud the hell out of the ambition of pro keys but I just wish the chart were a little more readable for me.

Also my hand/wrist cramps up like crazy.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 1, 2013

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
An option for horizontally scrolling sheet music (or tablature for Pro G/B) would have been great. Make the in-song HUD more modular, and allow [1 horizontal + up to 4 vertical] or [2-3 horizontal].

Things that might have happened in a Rock Band 4. :smith:

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
I always wanted the option of having the lead guitarist be the lead singer while playing guitar at the same time. Would've been cool

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

bpc908 posted:

I always wanted the option of having the lead guitarist be the lead singer while playing guitar at the same time. Would've been cool

You can do that, but it's a bit messy. I know our vocalist always wanted to do that, but we never sprung for a mic stand.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Alien Rope Burn posted:

You can do that, but it's a bit messy. I know our vocalist always wanted to do that, but we never sprung for a mic stand.

I do Vocals/Bass with my friends, but it really requires memorisation of the lyrics to have a chance in my experience. I think bpc908 might have been talking about how there's no in-game representation of it though, you can't have your guitarist doubling as the singer on-stage.

Butterflysmasher
Aug 7, 2005

Are there any major hurdles to modifying a song chart to change the camera/animation? I would love to try and redirect a song.
I'm pretty familiar with reaver and the RBN guidelines if it helps.
Could one rechart a song, inject that to a dummy cache..thing and play it as if it were a RBHP type file?

I miss the RB2 character design aesthetic, the basic clothing options seemed cleaner.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Firefly: Rock Band

Anyway, if you're just doing it for yourself (vs. distributing it to many people), the easiest way is to modify the entire song package. Get the song or pack onto a flash drive and open it in C3's modified Le Fluffie on your PC. Extract the relevant song's MIDI file, open it in REAPER, and check out the VENUE track. This part of the RBN documentation will tell you everything you need to know for post-RB3 songs. If it's a pre-RB3 song, you'll need this doc instead. When you've made the changes you want, replace the MIDI in the song package, save it as a CON (not a LIVE, unless you have a JTAG 360), and load it like a custom song.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
I was in a Gamestop today and I saw they actually had PowerGig guitar bundles, $40. I was almost tempted to get one, because hey, where else can you get a brand new electric guitar for $40. But reason prevailed and I thought better of it.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
C3 releases for December 6, 2013:

Guilty Pleasures C01 (farottone)
  • The Calling - "Wherever You Will Go"
  • Creed - "My Sacrifice"
  • Saliva - "Ladies and Gentlemen"
Daft Punk C01 (Nightmare Lyre and TrojanNemo)
  • Daft Punk - "Get Lucky"
  • Daft Punk - "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger"
  • Daft Punk - "One More Time"

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I just had an opposite "OH THAT SONG" moment because I started singing "Hanging By a Moment" when I saw "Wherever You Will Go."

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

pksage posted:

Daft Punk C01 (Nightmare Lyre and TrojanNemo)
  • Daft Punk - "Get Lucky"
  • Daft Punk - "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger"
  • Daft Punk - "One More Time"
Daft Punk is going to rule at parties. Thanks for another fun week!

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
For sure. Get lucky is gonna get the hell played out of it. Great pack.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
No Aerodynamic? For shame.

(Awesome pack this week guys will definitely get all 6.)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I had Harder, Better, Faster show up on my Pandora playlist last night and was just thinking if it would be viable as a Rock Band song. :raise:

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
So I tried to set up customs today but I think I may be hosed. I got custom songs loaded onto a memory stick and everything, and I should be good to go, but I seem to be totally unable to play RB3 if I'm not connected to Xbox Live.

See, I installed the game to the harddrive ages ago because I knew I'd be playing the game a ton. But when you play while not connected to Live, I think the console tries to read straight from the disc. Turns out, my disc is scratched all to hell and is totally unreadable, so I can't play when not connected to Live. Hence, I'm unable to play customs.

Anyone know a workaround, or am I just hosed? :(

Nevermind! It just started working. This is awesome.

Binowru fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 6, 2013

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Had a Rock Band session last night and tried out Don't You(Forget About Me). Holy poo poo what a great song for rock band thanks customs dudes.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Speaking of Don't You (Forget About Me), we're now pretty close to having the entire The Mix radio station from Saints Row 2 in Rock Band. I think the only songs we're missing are Hall & Oates' Out of Touch and Culture Club's Karma Chameleon.

fake edit: Duran Duran's The Reflex as well.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Speaking of Don't You (Forget About Me), we're now pretty close to having the entire The Mix radio station from Saints Row 2 in Rock Band. I think the only songs we're missing are Hall & Oates' Out of Touch and Culture Club's Karma Chameleon.

fake edit: Duran Duran's The Reflex as well.

Interesting.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

We know you've charted them already, you've charted every song, c'mon and release em.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
C3 releases for December 13, 2013:

New! Colour by Numbers 4-pack (farottone)
  • Culture Club - "Church of the Poison Mind"
  • Culture Club - "It's a Miracle"
  • Culture Club - "Miss Me Blind"
  • Culture Club - "Victims"
From the Vault: Guitar Hero singles
  • Band of Horses - "Cigarettes, Wedding Bands" (GHtoRB3)
  • Bloc Party - "Helicopter" (TrojanNemo)
  • Filter - "Take a Picture" (GHtoRB3)
  • Foo Fighters - "No Way Back" (TrojanNemo)
  • Lenny Kravitz - "Fly Away" (GHtoRB3)
  • Linkin Park - "Burning in the Skies" (GHtoRB3)
  • Linkin Park - "Wretches and Kings" (GHtoRB3)
  • Ramones - "Theme from Spiderman" (TrojanNemo)

Some of the GH ports are ones we missed in the original bulk add of the GHtoRB3 back catalog, and some are "new" (in that they were uploaded on a dusty forum or spreadsheet back in the day and are now improved and readily accessible).

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Wow, Miss Me Blind. I forgot that song even existed. Nice.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
I'm also excited to kick off a cool thing we're doing: The Twelve Days of Customs!

Every day from now until December 24 we'll be revealing a song by a different C3 author. These songs have been carefully selected as gifts to you guys, our players, and we hope that you'll get hyped about seeing each day's track! All twelve of the revealed songs will be released in a megapack on December 25.

I probably won't make an SA post for each day, because that'd be spammy as hell, but today's song is Queen - "Innuendo" by TrojanNemo. For more info on the Twelve Days project and for cool little bios/blurbs from each author, check out the C3 blog or forums.

Happy holidays! :shobon:

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

pksage posted:

I'm also excited to kick off a cool thing we're doing: The Twelve Days of Customs!

Every day from now until December 24 we'll be revealing a song by a different C3 author. These songs have been carefully selected as gifts to you guys, our players, and we hope that you'll get hyped about seeing each day's track! All twelve of the revealed songs will be released in a megapack on December 25.

I probably won't make an SA post for each day, because that'd be spammy as hell, but today's song is Queen - "Innuendo" by TrojanNemo. For more info on the Twelve Days project and for cool little bios/blurbs from each author, check out the C3 blog or forums.

You know the 12 days of Christmas are Christmas and the 11 days after it, not before it, right?

But this is awesome and you guys are awesome. Can't wait to see what comes out.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

pksage posted:

So many songs. Don't go burning yourselves out. :)

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

I'm not sure what we did to deserve the total awesomeness of C3, but it must have been something substantial and great. Go us!

Thanks for the great songs, as always! Glad to finally have some Bloc Party in the game.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Thanks pksage, you're a babe.

http://customscreatorscollective.wordpress.com/2013/12/17/the-twelve-days-of-customs-day-five/

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?

This has made my day as well as made up for the poo poo-tastic day I had yesterday. After not loading any new customs for a while, this will be one that I have to add as soon as it's out.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
pksage was the best thing to happen to C3 after its formation, so good that it seems like he's been there forever. You here have probably been with the guy more than I am but I just wanted to confirm that he is a class act and the guy who makes all of us look so good on release day and all week 'round.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

pksage, you're doing God's work.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
I'm enjoying the 12 days of xmas thing. Fun to read the little bios and get hyped for new songs. Keep up the great work!!

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
I love you guys. :qq:

I know someone saw Flagpole Sitta in my folder structure during the how-to folder, which I would regret except that it lends even more Harmonix authenticity to our releases. It was rare when we didn't have at least one "active" leak for official DLC.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Y'know, you're one of the main reasons I still follow the thread, not having set up customs myself at all.

...ah, thread crossover (kol).

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

pksage posted:

Flagpole Sitta

Well I just told all my friends, then spent the next several minutes becoming :neckbeard: personified. Thanks! :love:

Edit: Ooh, Day 4 is Tool. You guys are all awesome. :love:

Iris of Ether fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 17, 2013

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
You know, I always thought it was kindof a shame that customs didn't work on the PS3, but now I'm just intensely jealous of you guys with 360s. pksage you are a god among men.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

This poo poo is amazing, folks, keep up the good work.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Xad posted:

You know, I always thought it was kindof a shame that customs didn't work on the PS3, but now I'm just intensely jealous of you guys with 360s. pksage you are a god among men.

You know, you could probably pick up a 360 for cheap now that the One is out...

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pksage posted:

My main RB friend and I both loving love you, pk. You're the best, and this will make con time even more amazing.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

IUG posted:

You know, you could probably pick up a 360 for cheap now that the One is out...

I think finding a non-Mad Catz version of RB3 would be the harder part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

pksage posted:

I know someone saw Flagpole Sitta in my folder structure during the how-to folder, which I would regret except that it lends even more Harmonix authenticity to our releases. It was rare when we didn't have at least one "active" leak for official DLC.

I dunno what we did to deserve you guys, but I'm so happy the weekly song release mantle was picked up. :3:

• Locked thread