Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I dunno, if he desperately wants to be Jake Sully wouldn't that be more of a "the white man is the real savage" + condescending "noble savage/not-white-people" thing he's got going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Flesnolk posted:

I dunno, if he desperately wants to be Jake Sully wouldn't that be more of a "the white man is the real savage" + condescending "noble savage/not-white-people" thing he's got going on?
Ironically, there is a trope that describes what he's got going on. It's still racist, because the non-white people need the white guy to lead and save them, but it tries not to be.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

a travelling HEGEL posted:

Ironically, there is a trope that describes what he's got going on. It's still racist, because the non-white people need the white guy to lead and save them, but it tries not to be.

This page is even dumber. Its like, they're cognisant of how racist a concept is, but then you scroll down to the non-white examples and they've got Doctor Who and Superman in there.

:downs: "Well, they're white, but they're aliens so they're not technically white and my Doctor Whos and my comics aren't racist at all!"

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

MinistryofLard posted:

This page is even dumber. Its like, they're cognisant of how racist a concept is, but then you scroll down to the non-white examples and they've got Doctor Who and Superman in there.

:downs: "Well, they're white, but they're aliens so they're not technically white and my Doctor Whos and my comics aren't racist at all!"

And if they do pick up on it, they stuff it in the Does This Remind You of Anything? page -- or they would, if it wasn't filled with sexual innuendo (up to and including references to rape).

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Penny Paper posted:

And if they do pick up on it, they stuff it in the Does This Remind You of Anything? page -- or they would, if it wasn't filled with sexual innuendo (up to and including references to rape).

Would it shock you to know that the Western Animation page has MLP as the main picture?

Funambulist
Aug 3, 2012
I know it's really minor compared to all of the creepy and bizarre poo poo on tvtropes, but Jesus loving Christ why do they do the thing where they turn a trope name into a link on the page for the same goddamn trope?

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Benne posted:

Would it shock you to know that the Western Animation page has MLP as the main picture?

It would be more shocking if that didn't happen.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
On a deviation from the Weirdest Fanart thread, I looked up the character Arthur Read (the cartoon character) on Wikipedia. His description reads like a Troper wrote it. All sperging on how despite being an aardvark, he totally looks nothing like one.

Troper-y Wiki description. posted:

Arthur is an eight-year-old anthropomorphic aardvark,[2] and the star of the self-titled TV series and books. Though he is proclaimed to be an aardvark, many of his current features sit in stark contrast with this; for example his small, rounded ears, large, bulbous snout and his lack of the large, conspicuous tail which aardvarks typically possess. His trademarks include his bright yellow sweater, blue jeans, big round glasses, and red-and-white sneakers that he wears in most appearances. According to creator Marc Brown, he is supposed to be a representation of the average American third-grader and is based on the author's own experiences growing up in Erie, Pennsylvania as a child.

In the first Arthur book, Arthur's Nose (1976), Arthur had a long nose; he therefore resembled an actual aardvark. However, his design changed over the first half dozen books; he now has a much shorter nose, and many more human features. In the second book of the series, 1979's Arthur's Eyes (in which Arthur still very strongly resembled a real aardvark), he acquired his trademark glasses.

Also, if you look up the trope page for Arthur, you can see people arguing that he was totally justified for punching his sister in one episode. You know, despite the message being "violence is bad and doesn't solve anything." They bitch about how unfairly Arthur is treated. The guy was being ostracized for punching his little sister, whatever his stance might've been, he forfeited when he resorted to violence.

But tropers are tropers, and not being allowed to punch your sister is an injustice to them.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Tropers love worldbuiling, let's have a look.
Best worldbuilding any media

quote:

Discworld. Now I'm older Pratchett's writing leaves a lot to be desired, but as a pseudo-fantasy wacky mirror to reality, Discworld is almost perfect. It succeeds in being topical and humorous, but also rich, atmospheric and integrated in itself, and that's a pretty rare combination.
Are you sure you're the correct person to criticize Terry Pratchett's writing?
His ms paint "masterpiece" hmmm, I am not amused.
His ...poetry site? I'm no expert (I'm not even near average) on poetry, but other than the fact that most seems typical goth stuff it rhymes nice.

Warcraft posted:

Say what you will about the games themselves, but WarCraft is the best example of a would-be clone turning itself around and becoming a great, fleshed-out world. I haven't played World of Warcraft in over a year, but I still keep up with the story because it's so fun to watch Azeroth's history slowly unfold.
What? I loved WC2 and the backstory the manual provided. I really liked WC3 eventhough some of the retcons didn't sit well with me. All in all though the story it told was very nice.
I've never touched WoW, but I did read the Wiki bcause I was interested to see what happened. It's a bloated mess of retcons. It's not so much fleshed out as more that they've bolted things on like a big parade float.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Also, if you look up the trope page for Arthur, you can see people arguing that he was totally justified for punching his sister in one episode. You know, despite the message being "violence is bad and doesn't solve anything." They bitch about how unfairly Arthur is treated. The guy was being ostracized for punching his little sister, whatever his stance might've been, he forfeited when he resorted to violence.

See, I don't get that. They whine and complain about that, but when it comes to stuff like Eddy's older brother on that Ed, Edd, and Eddy series finale movie or Lisa Simpson bullying Bart in the latter-day Simpsons episodes (which no normal person should care about, as it's literally been years since The Simpsons was considered funny and relevant to everyone who wasn't a shut-in nerd), they scream, "Complete monster!" or "Nightmare fuel!" or worse of all, "Dethroning Moment of Suck."

Don't believe me: slog through these links below (try not to let your brain cells die as your eyes glaze over the crappiness):

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/NightmareFuel/EdEddNEddysBigPictureShow
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Monster/CartoonNetwork
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/DethroningMoment/TheSimpsons

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

That Simpsons one is absolutely brilliant. These people really don't understand ... anything. They don't get jokes, but they also can't think beyond beep boop trope.

quote:

rednessamon: I agree with you completely. Yes, Bart ruined the centerpiece Lisa made, but Marge should've at least explained what he should apologize for. And claiming that an entire holiday is ruined, just for a burned-up centerpiece? No wonder Bart ran away. That particular episode is always hard to watch.
Ah yes, all that happened was Lisa's hardwork was destroyed because of childish attention seeking. It was just paper mache anyway. Why ever would that ruin a day? Also apparently tropers struggle with context clues and stringing occurrences together. "Explain what should apologise for."
I realise asking for tropers to understand basic character emotion and motivation is asking for a lot.

quote:

In "I Married Marge", after Homer gives a rather stirring speech about his 3 kids and how he loves them, I actually felt touched. However, it just got flat-out obliterated by the next sentence! When Marge returns from her pregnancy test, she happily reveals that she is not pregnant, and she and Homer high-five, thus saying "gently caress you" to the kids he was "blessed" with! Jerkasses much?
What is setting up expectation and then following through with punchline. Please explain.

Seriously, how do you watch early Simpsons and be so unable to grasp when a joke was made and why.
This is just from the first segment. :allears:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Penny Paper posted:

See, I don't get that. They whine and complain about that, but when it comes to stuff like Eddy's older brother on that Ed, Edd, and Eddy series finale movie or Lisa Simpson bullying Bart in the latter-day Simpsons episodes (which no normal person should care about, as it's literally been years since The Simpsons was considered funny and relevant to everyone who wasn't a shut-in nerd), they scream, "Complete monster!" or "Nightmare fuel!" or worse of all, "Dethroning Moment of Suck."

Don't believe me: slog through these links below (try not to let your brain cells die as your eyes glaze over the crappiness):

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/NightmareFuel/EdEddNEddysBigPictureShow
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Monster/CartoonNetwork
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/DethroningMoment/TheSimpsons

The thing about their definition of complete monster is that nobody is just a dick or a villain. If a character is unpleasant then they have to be a complete monster.

quote:

Kryz: Many of the take thats directed towards fans are especially mean-spirited, but none more so than the following exchange from "The Itchy And Scratchy And Poochie Show":
Comic Book Guy: Last night's Itchy and Scratchy was the worst episode ever. As a loyal viewer, I feel they owe me.
Bart: For what? They've given you thousands of hours of entertainment for free. If anything, you owe them.
Comic Book Guy: Worst. Episode. Ever.

Over/Under on Tropers thinking that they deserve good episodes only? I mean, this joke is at the expense of fans like them who think that they are owed free entertainment.

quote:

Cannotrememberpasswords: Dear FSM Almighty, "Lisa the Simpson". Basic plot: Lisa finds out that the family has a gene that basically makes you go through Alzheimer's around 8 years old. At the end of the episode, it turns out that it's only on the Y chromosome, and thus, only men can get it. Let's disregard the incredibly faulty ideas about genetics this episode has, the continuity that prior showed Bart and Homer being Book Dumb and having a crayon lodged in his brain, respectively, as well as successful automaker and inventor Herb Powell being a Simpson, and Abe Simpson demonstrating extreme battlefield competence, and simply note that it ends on the note that all men in the Simpsons family are doomed to basically become drooling idiots and there's nothing they can do about it. But not Lisa, so apparently this is a happy ending. Yep, Bart is never going to have a decent career and he's probably going to fail at every endeavor, and Homer was destined to that fate from the start, but Lisa can solve that brainteaser. Whoop-de-friggin'-doo. The worst part is that they could have had it end with Lisa accepting the gene, and have Homer give it to her. But no-oo. Lisa must be Always Right.

Hmmm, the joke is that genetics don't work that way. Holy poo poo, did they honestly blank on this in their rage?

quote:

Bananaquit: Saddlesore Galactica. Really, the whole episode, as it seemed cruelly calculated by the writers to raise the ire of anyone who criticized the show. However, I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt; even though I didn’t laugh once during the first two acts. Then comes the third act, where it’s revealed that jockeys are really Keebler™-like elves who live in an underground cave beneath a tree. Who perform a horrid musical number. And, as though they hadn’t added enough insult to injury, they managed to cap the episode with a predictable “Bill Clinton Is Promiscuous” gag. This episode didn’t merely Jump the Shark, it pole-vaulted over it.

RRAAAGH, THIS CARTOON IS NOT REALISTIC! Also, the joke was more about Bill Clinton being seen as not that great of a president. And yet this predictable gag was still hilarious.

Bill Clinton: Thank you Lisa for teaching kids everywhere a valuable lesson. If things don't go your way just keep complaining until your dreams come true.
Marge Simpson: That's a pretty lousy lesson.
Bill Clinton: Hey, I'm a pretty lousy President.

Overall that episode was pretty crap but this was season 11 when the quality started plummeting.

quote:

A Justice: "Simpsons Safari." The family goes to Africa ("Simpsons Safari," from season 12), gets lost, and winds up at a chimp preserve. It appears that poachers are stealing the chimps, but it turns out that the "poachers" are actually with Greenpeace and are saving the chimps from the scientist (a Jane Goodall expy) who runs the preserve: she's actually using them for slave labor to mine diamonds for her. When confronted, she bribes the family with diamonds, while cackling and sporting a crazed look (showing that isolation and greed has driven her over the edge). And what do the Simpsons do? Take the bribe and let the chimp-torturing nutjob go further down the goddamn chute (except Lisa, who just complains about it). You really gotta question their morals when they prefer getting rich over getting a person mental help.

It's like they didn't get offered a kings ransom in diamonds.

quote:

No hate for Jaws Wired Shut? The first act is amusing, but it all goes downhill when Homer breaks his jaw. After that we get some absolutely cringeworthy scenes - Lisa complaining about Ralph like the brat she is, for one, and also Bart whining about his reputation about a class clown, and who can forget that AWFUL third act, where Marge becomes tired of Homer's new quiet, nicer self and runs away to go a demolition derby. That is followed by an extremely annoying Popeye parody that goes on for far too long ("Fuel for me mule, gas for me rear end!") and then we get the message that it's better to be an easily-angered, impulse-driven buffoon like Homer than a person who actually listens to his children and bonds with them in the process. Ugh.

Let me break this down.

1. Lisa is eight years old. You can't expect her to just be a robot all of the time, especially with having to go to school with someone like Ralph Wiggum.
2. Bart has been shown to want to be something more than a class clown in earlier episodes. Everyone just expects him to crack jokes.
3. Quiet, thoughtful Homer was not the man that Marge married. She loved him the way he was.
4. It lasted 30 loving seconds.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 2, 2013

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

quote:

Family Guy started out as sort of a denser and wackier take on The Simpsons, which of course already has enough regular Defanged Horrors (and not just in the Halloween episodes). In recent years (especially after getting uncancelled for the second time between 2002 and 2005), it's almost started going into South Park territory(when the humor and themes became more anvilicious, the animation improved immensely, and the humor became blacker and more frightening than funny).

quote:

Being a parody of Poltergeist, the episode Petergeist had some genuinely disturbing moments, such as when Peter starts shaving, parts of his face start falling off in bloody chunks, then his face morphs into Hank Hill and he says: "Hehehe, propane."

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I have the feeling the majority of troper complaints about Lisa Simpson is just them projecting their issues with women.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Hey, here's a Suikoden example of them just not getting the basic premise of the series. Spoilers for the original so watch out.

quote:

The reason why in the end of I, Soul Eater rejects Windy, it is not because simple Even Evil Has Standards. But more like how Soul Eater feeds, it fed on the souls of those close to the bearer. On the other hand, Windy has never accepted anyone in her heart, constantly only thinking of herself and her desire to destroy the world for self-revenge, she doesn't even open her heart to Barbarossa. Therefore, Soul Eater refuses to be hosted by Windy because it'll end up hungry with no 'close friend's soul' to consume.

Or it's because she already bears a true rune and a person cannot bear multiple true runes? Like, I dunno.

Suikoden II headscratcher. Spoilers of course

quote:

Why does Jowy try to assassinate Riou instead of suggesting political union? If his goals is to end conflict by joining Jowston and the Highlands, and your best friend is leading the opposing side, wouldn't it be smarter to become allies rather than prolong the war and kill your buddy?

Besides the fact that the two halves of the Rune of Beginning are always in conflict with each other, it's explicitly stated that Highland was a nation out for blood after the death of their king and the massacre of what were essentially boy scouts. Would your people accept peace with an enemy that they've been at war with on and off for going on thirty to forty years?

How about a CMOF for the worst game in the series?

quote:

How about the first time the heroes meet a mermaid?
Mermaid: The master is always angrey, I hate it.
Okaaay

The okay is just poking fun at her weird pronounciation of the word. But still, you had 9 words to type and none of them were difficult. Well done guys.

I really don't want to look through the actual pages. The Suikoden series is actually a relatively subtle series and I'd imagine they will understand sweet gently caress all about it.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Dec 2, 2013

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Testekill posted:

1. Lisa is eight years old. You can't expect her to just be a robot all of the time, especially with having to go to school with someone like Ralph Wiggum.

You'd think media junkies like Tropers would remember that Yeardley Smith said her favorite moments for Lisa are when she gets to be an 8 year old kid.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Razorwired posted:

You'd think media junkies like Tropers would remember that Yeardley Smith said her favorite moments for Lisa are when she gets to be an 8 year old kid.

And here's the worst part. They don't want her to be preachy or even have opinions of her own but simultaneously don't want her to even act remotely like a child. All they want is this bland, intelligent character who just stands around and sometimes says stuff.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 3, 2013

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Testekill posted:

And here's the worst part. They don't want her to be preachy or even have opinions of her own but simultaneously don't want her to even act remotely like a child. All they want is this bland, intelligent character who just stands around and sometimes says stuff.

In fairness, that also appears to be the goal of the writing staff and show-runner.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Since I'm playing it now, let's take a look at the Getting Crap Past the Radar page for Pokemon X and Y.

For the blissfully unaware, Getting Crap Past the Radar is when tropers think that their children's cartoons are sneaking in dirty words because they're actually super mature and EVIL CENSORS are somehow fooled into thinking its a children's show, so they have to sneak them in covertly.

Bear in mind, Pokemon's target audience is small children.

quote:

In a street in Lumiose City, there's a pair of NPCs who use the standard "lovers" models, holding hands and staring at the Prism Tower. If you pass by them, you overhear their conversation: "You know, my Emolga would really love to shock your Dedenne..." The other NPC's reaction is a confused, "...What?"

What?

quote:

You can work part-time for the Hotel Richissme, cleaning out the rooms. Sometimes, you can find beds that have apparently been drenched in perfume.
It's also possible to find bedclothes that look as though they've been chewed on.
And some are even wet.
"Someone spilled lemonade on these sheets". Yeah...lemonade. Sure, Let's Go with That.

What kind of idiot thinks "Lemonade on the sheets?" and goes straight to sex? Like, I don't understand the connection here. The rest I can at least see but that one?

quote:

Attract (a move that causes the target to fall in love with the user) is given to you by a little girl that says that she feels like the Skiddo used it on her. The implications are disturbing...

Pokemon's target audience is small children.

quote:

One woman in the Battle Chateau loves "going wild" with her Pokémon. Her only Pokémon is a Tentacool.

Everything is about hentai. No exceptions.

quote:

There is a female trainer (a Beauty, no less) hiding in the grass on Route 6 who wants to have a "secret battle in the tall grass" with you.

Pokemon's target audience is small children.

quote:

There's a Baron in the Battle Chateau who says he's going "...to latch on to some nice Duchess and Aqua Jet [himself] to the top of society". While the literal impression is that he's a self-admitted Social Climber or Gold Digger, it's not that hard to see the Double Entendre.

Yes it is. You're just desperately searching for it.

quote:

Besides all the innuendo, this E-rated game's backstory has war and death. Lots and lots of it. It's just kind of behind many Never Say "Die" terminologies.
One man's Pokémon participated in the war. He was later handed a box. And the phrase "it came back to life" is used later, so it's kind of unambiguous that it died.
A Fantastic Nuke killed a lot of humans and Pokémon in the Great Offscreen War.
It's easy to believe that Team Flare's leader Lysandre dies in the Collapsing Lair, even if easily missable postgame quotes hint that he survived.
The antagonists Team Flare are Omnicidal Maniac eco-terrorists.

Oh my god pokemon has death in it that means its for adults because eight year olds can't handle that poo poo. You gotta be real mature, like, 12, to get that kind of thing.

Also, this is not "getting crap past the radar." All of this is explicit to anybody who plays.

The rest of the page is just stuff that might possibly be innuendo but wouldn't fool a censor so if it is in they didn't get crap past anyone.

To conclude: Tropers think that "moral guardians" are trying to censor their SUPER ADULT video games like Pokemon, but censors are so stupid (or, Tropers are so smart) that they can't pick up on obvious innuendo. Jesus.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I think the lemonade thing was supposed to insinuate that they wet the bed, not had sex. Why they thought a children's videogame couldn't contain references to bed wetting is beyond me.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So Disney's Frozen came out over the weekend. An excellent film, it's rather groundbreaking (by Disney standards, anyway) in that the central relationship isn't a romance, but in two sisters who drifted apart and are trying to reconcile their differences and learn to be a family again. Surely tropers won't take anything else away from th---

quote:

Crossover Ship: Elsa's already being paired with Jack Frost.
And ever since the director jokingly mentioned they'd be a good couple, Elsa is also being shipped with the title character of Wreck-It Ralph.
An even bigger Crack Ship, generally played for laughs, is Elsa and the Ice King.
The reveal that this film may take place in the same world as Tangled has led to many Rapunzel/Elsa or Anna, and Eugene/Elsa or Anna ships.

quote:

Evil Is Sexy: Queen Elsa

quote:

Incest Yay Shipping/Les Yay: Elsa/Anna, given the nature of the story it's not really that surprising, and very little is done to dissuade fans from thinking along these lines..

quote:

Launcher of a Thousand Ships: Elsa, it would faster to name those who haven't been shipped with her.

Tropers. Tropers never change.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MinistryofLard posted:

For the blissfully unaware, Getting Crap Past the Radar is when tropers think that their children's cartoons are sneaking in dirty words because they're actually super mature and EVIL CENSORS are somehow fooled into thinking its a children's show, so they have to sneak them in covertly.

I am sorely tempted to visit the Getting Crap Past the Radar page for My Little Pony.

By the way, did you know that John DeLancie's character in My Little Pony is BRUTAL MIND RAPIST and a BRUTAL COMPLETE MONSTER who BRUTALLY proves once and for all that this cartoon is TOO MATURE FOR KIDS?

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

MinistryofLard posted:

Since I'm playing it now, let's take a look at the Getting Crap Past the Radar page for Pokemon X and Y.

For gently caress's sake, TV Tropes.

The shocking thing isn't a dirty joke, it's because the guy says his Dedenne is in love with her Emolga and then she says her Emolga would rather fight it. The sheets are messed up because someone let out their bitey and/or floral pokemon out as opposed to it being some sort of weird sex thing. And if a little girl says that she loves her pet and your mind immediately goes to "AND SHE WANTS TO gently caress IT" you probably need to get off the internet for a while.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Alopex posted:

For gently caress's sake, TV Tropes.

The shocking thing isn't a dirty joke, it's because the guy says his Dedenne is in love with her Emolga and then she says her Emolga would rather fight it. The sheets are messed up because someone let out their bitey and/or floral pokemon out as opposed to it being some sort of weird sex thing. And if a little girl says that she loves her pet and your mind immediately goes to "AND SHE WANTS TO gently caress IT" you probably need to get off the internet for a while.

And by "for a while," I mean, "forever."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Tropers took the tentacle joke from the manga and have ran it into the ground.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Metal Loaf posted:

I am sorely tempted to visit the Getting Crap Past the Radar page for My Little Pony.

Gotcha covered (though this is for "Friendship is Magic." I didn't see the original series and I don't want to look). I was bored, so what the hell?

There's not many examples, but the examples they have are pretty dumb.

quote:

* "Look Before You Sleep" features a book called Slumber 101: All You've Ever Wanted to Know About Slumber Parties (But Were Afraid to Ask), referring to the widely known sex guide Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex (But Were Afraid to Ask).
*In "Hurricane Fluttershy", they slipped in a reference to steroid use and a certain one of its side effects with a white pegasus boasting bulging muscles and rather tiny wings.
*In the Cold Open for "The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000", Rainbow Dash barges straight into Fluttershy's bedroom to wake her up, and rips the covers off. Fluttershy's reaction? She blushes and covers up her chest with her forelegs. The squeak she emitted as she did that certainly didn't help.
*As noted elsewhere on the wiki, the Changelings' modus operandi resembles that of succubi crossed with actual fairy changelings.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

There's a Getting Crap Past The Radar page for pinball of all things.

quote:

* Data East's Star Trek has phrases on the inlanes leading to the flippers, each of which is paired to one of the female characters. The left inlane shows "To boldly go..." with (evil) Uhura, while the right inlane has "Where no man has gone before" with Janice Rand.

I'll five-year her mission :pervert:

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
A "reference to steroid use and a certain one of its side effects"? What are they even talking about here? The example they give sounds like a standard weightlifter-physique caricature.

E: vvv shows how much I know about steroids and penises, then. It's still stupid.

Tardigrade fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 3, 2013

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Tardigrade posted:

A "reference to steroid use and a certain one of its side effects"? What are they even talking about here? The example they give sounds like a standard weightlifter-physique caricature.

I presume they're referring to the male genital shrinkage associated with steroid abuse, but yes, they're definitely overthinking it. Obviously doing a bodybuilder with disproportionate physical features has to be a dick reference, duh!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Tardigrade posted:

I'm honestly unsure if it's true or not, but one of the common stereotypes about 'roid users is that their wang is... Adversely affected by the 'roids.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Tardigrade posted:

They're claiming the tiny wings are supposed to be tiny penises.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
You know, I read a lot of these things here, and just glaze over most of it. But then I get to something that just makes me think

Penny Paper posted:

*In the Cold Open for "The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000", Rainbow Dash barges straight into Fluttershy's bedroom to wake her up, and rips the covers off. Fluttershy's reaction? She blushes and covers up her chest with her forelegs. The squeak she emitted as she did that certainly didn't help.

Go to Hell.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

At least, if she's covering her chest, it disproves :cry:"crotchboobs":cry:, right? Right?

It's telling that the Getting Crap Past the Radar page with the most sub-headings is Western Animation (my kids' show is totally serious and edgy, for real!). But I had to look under Other, and lo and behold, in the Textbooks section...

quote:

In the Campbell/Reese (6th Edition) Biology textbook, it describes a particular type of breeding, technically referred to as semelparity, from Latin roots. However, the first and easier to remember name it...big-bang reproduction.

How desperate do you have to be?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Tardigrade posted:

It's telling that the Getting Crap Past the Radar page with the most sub-headings is Western Animation (my kids' show is totally serious and edgy, for real!). But I had to look under Other, and lo and behold, in the Textbooks section...

How is it even 'getting crap past the radar' if it's in a biology textbook which specifically talks about breeding? It's like saying sex ed classes are 'getting crap past the radar' for talking about boobs.. :argh:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Tardigrade posted:

At least, if she's covering her chest, it disproves :cry:"crotchboobs":cry:, right? Right?

Or maybe she's covering herself because she's cold, you know, as people tend to do when you rip a bedsheet off of them?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Tardigrade posted:

By far the best part of this is that semelparity isn't some kind of EROTIC SEX EXPLOSION, it's the evolutionary strategy of breeding only once and dying, as in salmon, butterflies, annual plants, and so on. If you're getting hot and bothered at a biology textbook describing salmon spawn-and-die cycles, you're officially pretty fuckin' confused about sex.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

DStecks posted:

Or maybe she's covering herself because she's cold, you know, as people tend to do when you rip a bedsheet off of them?

But she squealed, don't you see

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

DStecks posted:

Do people normally also blush and smile sheepishly when they're cold?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

Do people normally also blush and smile sheepishly when they're cold?

When they're cold, surprised, and their one goddamn character trait is "shy?" This really isn't rocket surgery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Regalingualius posted:

I'm honestly unsure if it's true or not, but one of the common stereotypes about 'roid users is that their wang is... Adversely affected by the 'roids.
Steroids take the responsibility for testosterone off of the gonads, causing them to atrophy. The penis itself isn't affected, but the guy has to maintain his use or he'll lose his sex drive and turn into Bob from Fight Club.

• Locked thread