Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The fact that they have the same parents only comes up in like 10% of episodes. It's pretty easy to think of them as friends before brothers, even if you've seen them all a bunch of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Everybody, there's a new king in town.

Get ready.
They're brothers AND best friends

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
You make it sound like you can't be friends with your brother.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Zeruel posted:

Right, but when you introduce people, you put familial ties ahead of "best pals" in describing their relationship.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Was it always established that they were brothers too? I feel like it goes a while before it's even mentioned but I don't 100% remember when that's explicitly revealed either. I feel like not for a while into the first season? Did Pen always plan for them to be brothers too? Maybe it was a late addition so the friends thing kind of stuck. And for anyone who hasn't shotgunned the entire series it'd be an easy detail to miss.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

redcheval posted:

Was it always established that they were brothers too? I feel like it goes a while before it's even mentioned but I don't 100% remember when that's explicitly revealed either. I feel like not for a while into the first season? Did Pen always plan for them to be brothers too? Maybe it was a late addition so the friends thing kind of stuck. And for anyone who hasn't shotgunned the entire series it'd be an easy detail to miss.

Well episode 10 of the first season is the Boom Boom Mountain episode where we see Jake's parents find Finn. So it's super early into the show that you get that info. But of course there's 5 seasons worth of shows and you don't really have to watch the episodes in order so it's not surprising if someone doesn't pick up on them being brothers. I mean I don't think Finn even refers to Jake's dad as "dad" til like Dad's Dungeon?

I wonder if we're gonna get some insight on Finn's parents soon. Also they need to bring Susan Strong back!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Plus it's Jake the Dog and Finn the Human. Unless you're watching each episode and paying attention, you're going to notice that there's a slim chance that they're genetically related.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Well, the ending of that episode was a bit disturbing for me. I expected it to just end abruptly like they do with James being weird then suddenly it's back in the pit and :gonk:

I can't really comment on any of that moral stuff, but the mention of Finn not having a sword makes me wonder, what happened to the lightning sword from the dungeon train? I'm going to have to watch that episode again.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

He tooled around in that train for a few days later, so he probably upgraded, ditched it, or left everything behind when he left the train. That, or it's down in the first floor loot room with the other winnings. I bet that house has a wide selection of swords anyways.

MindTheGap
Jul 24, 2007

hoobajoo posted:

Right, but when you introduce people, you put familial ties ahead of "best pals" in describing their relationship.
Not always. I had a friend who introduced his brother to me as his "best friend" before. I didn't know they were related until a few months later. I guess those guys were kind of weird, but it happened.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Zeruel posted:

I find the idea implausible but Adventure Time isn't exactly a realistic show. :v:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IUG posted:

I bet that house has a wide selection of swords anyways.
Dual gold katanas!

And there are indeed a butt load of swords lying around in the loot pile.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Well episode 10 of the first season is the Boom Boom Mountain episode where we see Jake's parents find Finn. So it's super early into the show that you get that info. But of course there's 5 seasons worth of shows and you don't really have to watch the episodes in order so it's not surprising if someone doesn't pick up on them being brothers. I mean I don't think Finn even refers to Jake's dad as "dad" til like Dad's Dungeon?

I wonder if we're gonna get some insight on Finn's parents soon. Also they need to bring Susan Strong back!

True. Weirdly though even then they don't really go into any detail or show them to be Jake's parents. I mean it is pretty obvious but not as obvious as say, the Dad's Dungeon episode so easy to miss I guess!

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
It's a shame Finn didn't grab the Fire Sword from those two spiders in that episode last season. Spider babies will creep me out forever. :stare:

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

IUG posted:

Hell, I joked before this episode aired that he was a Star Trek redshirt. I figured since this was a new character introduced this episode on an away mission, that he was going to die. And I don't even like Star Trek.

I think it was a lot like the "kissy prize" in the wizard battle episode where they use a specific trope just to satirize it. In this case that trope is writers including extra characters just to kill off in horror, sci-fi and horror/sci-fi stories.

The irony was that James was not as incompetent as his personality and PB's sabotage made it seem which added a sense of uncomfortable morality that isn't addressed when the trope is played straight like they were destined to die because somebody had to.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Pick posted:

It's the trolley problem. Do you assess someone's choice based on whether they're weeping at the time?

This is what I assumed the show was going for when I watched the episode - all the way to Finn's "Is this right or wrong? I can't tell" comment near the end. I just think they didn't do the best job of explaining that sacrificing James was the only real option - PB going "yo I ran some calculations everything else is a lovely idea" isn't exactly damning evidence. I mean it is since I guess PB is like insane good at running calculations, but it doesn't really seem like the best way to set up a difficult moral quandary, story-wise.
Still, a good episode.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have a fan theory, prepare!:
This episode makes me think that the comet Finn was in a past life crashed into Earth and deposited a powerful alien material on Earth. The human form of the Lich uses this junk to build a huge bomb and sets off the AT time line.

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.

Bust Rodd posted:

I have a fan theory, prepare!:
This episode makes me think that the comet Finn was in a past life crashed into Earth and deposited a powerful alien material on Earth. The human form of the Lich uses this junk to build a huge bomb and sets off the AT time line.

Big problem with that. Its been pretty much confirmed (via Finn the Human/Jake the Dog) that the Lich was born as a direct result of the bomb exploding. The bomb was definitely created by humans, as you can see bomber planes that dropped it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Right I totally understood that. But when they say that the bomb is what creates the Lich, I interpreted that as "the Lich was a guy pre mushroom bomb and became undead because of it.". I don't think a pile of horny bones just crawled out of the crater unprovoked. No one is just born a Lich.

I just watched these and didn't see anything that contradicts that, but I'm willing to be totally wrong about that.

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.

Bust Rodd posted:

Right I totally understood that. But when they say that the bomb is what creates the Lich, I interpreted that as "the Lich was a guy pre mushroom bomb and became undead because of it.". I don't think a pile of horny bones just crawled out of the crater unprovoked. No one is just born a Lich.

I just watched these and didn't see anything that contradicts that, but I'm willing to be totally wrong about that.

Well, Jake turned into a Lich from being in the radioactive waste created by the bomb. So I assumed something similar happened to some other person or creature to create the Lich we know.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Personally I assume the Lich is less a traditional undead and more a sort of Death Elemental that uses something about that specific nuke to manifest itself in the material plane

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

drrockso20 posted:

Personally I assume the Lich is less a traditional undead and more a sort of Death Elemental that uses something about that specific nuke to manifest itself in the material plane

Yeah, this was kind of my thought too. The Lich isn't so much a person or creature as a form of death or chaos that found a portal to the mortal plane through whatever heinous bomb it was that turned most of humanity into goo zombies and made things like sentient bubblegum possible.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Someone speculated back at the beginning of the season that the Lich was the personification of the bomb. It made a lot of sense thematically; like the bomb, the Lich's only reason for existence was to cause mass death.

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.

Though how a 14-year-old will voice an adult candy person I have no idea

MojoKingBee fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 3, 2013

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

That simultaneous "you didn't see nothing" walk rules

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Bingo, Bango!

also, lol @ Root Beer Guy's role-playing wife, what the hell Adventure Time

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Oh cool they're setting up a Dexter kill room.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The Banana Guard siren noise will never stop being funny.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
"danced"

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
That was brilliant.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Dangerous Person posted:

The Banana Guard siren noise will never stop being funny.

No it won't. It still cracks me up as well :allears:

Also RBG was way to awesome a character (design and character wise) to not be a recurring character and I'm glad it looks like he's going to stick around

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
RIP, Braco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLtjfz03X-I

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
That was a cute little episode. Happy ending :)

Bingo, Bango

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

JT Jag posted:

"danced"
Well, she has the needs of any other cherry cream soda! Even diet cream soda!

Ooh La La...

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.
I dunno, a little disappointed with this episode. Just didn't find it as entertaining as the previous few episodes, which were amazing.

I did get a kick out of Root Beer Guy re-writing the same sentence over and over, because I've been there so many times.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Having just finished this series, I can say that I am completely blown away. I never expected a show like this to affect me the way this one has. I could go on for a long time about particular moments in the show that resonated with me (What was missing, "Remember You", ect.) but I'd rather try to mention stuff that hasn't already been discussed to death.

On that note, in Simon & Marcy, this article mentions how Simon's diagnosis of Marcelene's fever as "getting worse" might actually be himself getting colder. I know there's a scene where she's visibly sick, but I think it's not outside the realm of possibility to think that she might have been getting better and Simon couldn't tell because of his slowly freezing blood. If it were true it would make that episode just that much more impactful.

Also, after watching James and the Sandworm episodes, I am so down with the direction PBG has been going lately, both in terms of her being more self-sufficient (I think she's rescued Jake and Finn almost as many times as they've rescued her by now), and revealing more about her role as this hyper-intelligent, iron-willed ruler of the weakest people in Ooo (literally made of delicious candy). The idea that she might have existed as that primordial goo in Simon & Marcy doesn't seem so far-fetched now, and has a ton of implications for other plot lines. Maybe she's one of the few entities in a position to shed light on why magic came back into the world after the Mushroom War? Or why Finn is (one of) the last remaining humans?

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.

dylguy90 posted:

The idea that she might have existed as that primordial goo in Simon & Marcy doesn't seem so far-fetched now, and has a ton of implications for other plot lines. Maybe she's one of the few entities in a position to shed light on why magic came back into the world after the Mushroom War? Or why Finn is (one of) the last remaining humans?

About that, the new game actually reveals her relationship with that goo. She was birthed from it 827 years ago. Its basically her "parents".

This may or may not come up in the show.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Finn is the last human because the Rainicorns were unwilling to eat a baby that's sitting in its own boom-boom, obviously.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

MojoKingBee posted:

About that, the new game actually reveals her relationship with that goo. She was birthed from it 827 years ago. Its basically her "parents".
Oh, cool! It's funny how a lot of this stuff raises more questions than answers. At least the writers seem to have a plan for revealing stuff, unlike other shows :lost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.

dylguy90 posted:

Oh, cool! It's funny how a lot of this stuff raises more questions than answers. At least the writers seem to have a plan for revealing stuff, unlike other shows :lost:

I think AT has found a good balance of revealing some things while leaving others a little ambiguous.

• Locked thread