Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
That's probably wise, Captain Invictus, since somehow you post it in seinen and shoujo misc threads while it's actually shonen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

toanoradian posted:

That's probably wise, Captain Invictus, since somehow you post it in seinen and shoujo misc threads while it's actually shonen.

Yeah, sometimes I get these threads mixed up, I meant to put that in the seinen thread. I don't really read the shonen thread though, whoops. I could have sworn it was tagged as seinen at one point and discussed in that thread, but now that I think about it, I don't quite remember what thread I originally heard about it in.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Violet_Sky posted:

I'm really enjoying Glass Mask a lot more than I thought I would. I'm on Volume 17 right now and I love everything about it. It falls into melodrama at times, but the plays are really well thought out and I love the struggles the main character goes through just to become that character. The love interest is creepy and I could do without him, but they're not shoving the pairing into the reader's faces yet.

This is everything that Skip Beat isn't. Go read this if you want a good acting manga to read.

The death of Maya's mom got to me way more than it should have. Maya's reaction to Mom's death was brutal.

Whenever something reminds me about Glass Mask, I go to wikipedia to see if the manga's ended yet so I can read through the last volumes in one big batch. Every time I am disappointed.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't quite remember what thread I originally heard about it in.

Could it be from this jerk? :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

toanoradian posted:

Could it be from this jerk? :v:

Nah, I literally don't read the shonen thread at all. I thought shonen stuff was mostly stuff like One Piece and Zatch Bell and light-hearted stuff like Yotsuba etc, and dramas were the realm of shojo and seinen.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Bonnouji!

That is all.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh. My. God.

That dream sequence was the best thing in a long, long stream of Best Things. Also, congratulations, you two goofballs. :toot:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Jesus gently caress I love the way these two characters talk about poo poo that's on their minds and problems they are having with each other like normal human beings do. Rather than just endless streams of "that is.... I...." followed by fourteen misunderstandings that could be explained in a single sentence each, that just drag on and onnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Maybe it's because I came here from a mostly anime-watching background, which seems to be saturated with only one type of humor, romance, or any other genre you could name. But I've been reading a lot of manga recently, and this series in particular is so refreshing. I have problems with it but those are just so mundane that I barely even care.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
:allears:
That was perfect.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Aaaaaa Kakukaku Shikajika 8. Aaaaaa it's so good.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Aki Eda did two really good Girls und Panzer yuri doujins recently. Though for the life of me I can't remember where I read them.

Thurm
Nov 11, 2008

coathat posted:

Aki Eda did two really good Girls und Panzer yuri doujins recently. Though for the life of me I can't remember where I read them.

Dynasty scans has a bunch of her work including doujinshi.

Thurm fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 28, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Taiyou no Ie 35

Might have to eat some of my earlier words, we have another couple together. :toot: Daiki is still screwed though.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Nate RFB posted:

Taiyou no Ie 35

Might have to eat some of my earlier words, we have another couple together. :toot: Daiki is still screwed though.

I always root for the hopeless ones. Good luck, Daiki

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

jackofarcades posted:

I always root for the hopeless ones. Good luck, Daiki

He dropped the ball AGAIN and wimped out, he doesn't deserve her! :colbert:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Holy poo poo, I finally caught up to the latest scanlated chapter of Cheese in the Trap(chapter 117) and gently caress, man. That was messed up! And I knew Yoo Jung was a sociopath or at least incredibly hosed in the head, but drat. A little too convenient that Sul was right nearby to hear it all, but at this point I'm wondering if there is a single character in this series who ISN'T messed up somehow.

Love it, though. Good poo poo. Dramatic, interesting, and when Hong Sul goes all emotional SSJ on dudes it's great. The scanlations seem to be rolling in fairly frequently too, and there's many dozens of chapters still untranslated, so I can't wait to see where it goes from here.

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo

Captain Invictus posted:

Holy poo poo, I finally caught up to the latest scanlated chapter of Cheese in the Trap(chapter 117)

I know the latest plug-in isn't working for the newest chapters. I went to OddSquad's site and looked around for a "help" thing and they say to not use the plugin but the bookmark is updated. I feel terribly stupid and lost, because everyone else seems to be figuring it out but I'm not!

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I'm not sure I understand. You mean you can't figure out the bookmark? To use the bookmarklet drag and drop the star that says "OSS Naver Translate" onto your bookmarks bar and then when you go to the korean page click the bookmark and it'll load the translation.

Thanks to whoever kept posting about Cheese in the Trap because once I got to the 2nd season I couldn't stop reading it.

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo
Thank you jackofarcades, totally never noticed the bookmarklet before. :doh:

Does anyone else read Bokura no Kiseki? http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Bokura-no-Kiseki
It's not an easy read as there's constantly little details being dropped about who is who, and every person in the manga has two identities, but still I find it interesting for a Josei/Mystery/Fantasy. The only thing I don't like about it is the scanlation group only puts it out once a month, and with so many details in each chapter I've completely forgotten what happens again by the time the next one gets scanlated and I have to go back and reread. At least there are character maps to help keep who's who straight.

I love Josei, and went through Stiletto Heels' scanlation list to see what else they've put out and found Nigeru Otoko - (http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Nigeru-Otoko) which I liked because the art is rough and different. After reading so many shoujo where the story is the same Valentines day/Onsen/bullying/stupid misunderstanding, I like reading something off-beat.

Another more Shoujo-like manga that's different is Five (http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Five) which I swear had a rumor that it was going to get an anime? I can't find where I read that though.

coathat
May 21, 2007

It's time to say goodbye. http://www.mangahere.com/manga/bonnouji/v01/c035/

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Wait, really?

Man, I'll miss it :smith:

e: I'm still sad it's over but that was kinda adorable :3:

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 30, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yessss!

Noooooooooooooooo!

Why is it over? Why is it so good! I'm all torn up about this.

What a fantastic series. Someone please license it, dammit.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

I am sad it is over, but that was a good ending.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

They had to end it after Robonnouji. It couldn't be topped.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Everything about this page is magical.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Aw that was so cute :3:
I'm kind of glad it's over because now I can start recommending it to my friends who only want to read completed manga.

FFSabin
Jul 3, 2004

ぐるぐる
Noooooo is over...

Thanks to the person who recommended this over in the recommendation thread.... such a cute series from beginning to end.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Kakukaku Shikajika 9! Artist delinquent!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Cameo by her younger brother! Author of Tonari no Seki-kun. :swoon:

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Speaking of a series about a cute romance, 14-Sai no Koi just updated. Saying 'it's adorable' is probably not needed at this point.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Caught up with Sekitou Elergy, with Boys on the Run now I have two romance manga that I get to wait a million years before people finish translating them, awesome. If I could ask for another recommendation, are there any good manga which feature like... abrasive female leads? Stuff like delinquents, rich girls, tsunderes, tomboys, any good stories with stuff like that? It's usually interesting to see characters like that done well as when they're done badly they kind of end up being the worst thing sometimes.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Caught up with Sekitou Elergy, with Boys on the Run now I have two romance manga that I get to wait a million years before people finish translating them, awesome. If I could ask for another recommendation, are there any good manga which feature like... abrasive female leads? Stuff like delinquents, rich girls, tsunderes, tomboys, any good stories with stuff like that? It's usually interesting to see characters like that done well as when they're done badly they kind of end up being the worst thing sometimes.

Hm...some of these might fit the bill, although some may not 100% fit the thread:

Former delinquent cleans up for high school:
Yankee-kun to Megane-chan
Oresama Teacher

Perfect-seeming girl has a hidden abrasive personality:
Switch Girl!!!
Kare Kano

Tsundere:
Taiyou no Ie (read this anyway it is awesome)
Suki tte Ii na yo

Female lead with a lot of agency that doesn't really hit your specifics but I'm gonna toss it out there anyway:
Kamisama Hajimemashita

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oresama Teacher kinda sucks for a good while but gets really great eventually, though I don't know what is happening now and it seems like it's stagnating a bit.

Taiyou no Ie is tsundere? I wouldn't call Mao tsundere. Unless you're talking about daiki. :v:

I would say if you want a flawed romantic interest, you couldn't do much better than Cheese in the Trap. Though in this case it follows a girl and the love interest is a guy. Most of the characters have flaws that are believable most of the time, and there's some great dramatic conflict with situations that rarely get touched on in most manga, it's a Manwha and has 117 chapters scanlated.

Vesi posted:

Other:
B-Gata H Kei
This series is ridiculously long and seems like it's status quo hell, but it definitely, slowly, progresses. By the end, I enjoyed it a lot. There's probably a third of the series that could be excised without hurting it though.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 3, 2013

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Tsundere:
Kyou no Yuiko-san, the art is a bit wonky but it has a nice realistic take on the subject

Other:
B-Gata H Kei

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Invictus posted:

Taiyou no Ie is tsundere? I wouldn't call Mao tsundere. Unless you're talking about daiki. :v:

That's entirely possible; I went to manga updates and searched the "tsundere" tag for highly-rated stuff I'd read. :v: It's not really something I think about a lot.

edit: I will still suggest that as a rough means to find new things to read, if you're in the mood for something that can be distilled down to a key word or phrase like "older protagonist" or "age gap" etc.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 3, 2013

Asperity
Jun 7, 2011
Is anybody else reading Kaze Hikaru? I'm not up to date with it yet, but so far I love it -- I haven't found any other shoujo romance manga where I can say, "ooh, mass beheading. This'll make a good stopping point."

musouka
Apr 24, 2009

Asperity posted:

Is anybody else reading Kaze Hikaru? I'm not up to date with it yet, but so far I love it -- I haven't found any other shoujo romance manga where I can say, "ooh, mass beheading. This'll make a good stopping point."

From what I read of it, Kaze Hikaru was great. I can usually take or leave the Shinsengumi as used in popular media, but you can tell the author really did her homework in this case, so it feels different from the nth iteration of SHOUNEN FIGHTIN' SHINSENGUMI. It's also incredibly long (and still running, I think?) so I also ended up letting it fall by the wayside a while back. I'll get caught up one of these days.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Man, I started reading Kuragehime after running out of Kakukaku and it's so bloody good. I really didn't expect it to be my kind of thing but the author has a great touch and her style is so easy to read. Alternating between this and Dorohedoro is very interesting.

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!

toanoradian posted:

Speaking of a series about a cute romance, 14-Sai no Koi just updated. Saying 'it's adorable' is probably not needed at this point.

Thanks for recommending this, it's cute! But please tell me that they aren't really going with the student-teacher romance side plot. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
It may not go anywhere at all, but I think the mangaka has a thing for age gap romance as she has done a short series about a middle schooler and an OL winding up together.