Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

DStecks posted:

Or maybe she's covering herself because she's cold, you know, as people tend to do when you rip a bedsheet off of them?

The joke of barging in a woman changing and them covering themselves has been in cartoons since the 40s I do not think the character in the childrens cartoon got cold in a second jesus christ why am i even talking about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Whatever it is its still not "crap past the radar" because ratings people aren't loving morons and any joke that writers put into a cartoon for adults watching it (as many do, because hey, people watch poo poo with their kids sometimes) is not proof that its actually hardcore.

Its been brought up before, but for a bunch of people who claim to be challenging gender roles by being loving obsessed with a cartoon for eight year old girls, bronies seem to be in a massive hurry to claim that its super manly and hardcore and dark and not for little girls at all.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Initially, "Getting Crap Past The Radar" was supposed to be the sorts of jokes that Animaniacs would let fly, immediately followed by 'goodnight, everybody'! That kind of thing. But we all know how tropers feel about subtlety. Or how important it is that the get to mention that their favorite anime did a partial double inversion.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Tropers are dumb enough, we don't need to misinterpret scenes ourself just to give us more examples.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

MinistryofLard posted:

Whatever it is its still not "crap past the radar" because ratings people aren't loving morons and any joke that writers put into a cartoon for adults watching it (as many do, because hey, people watch poo poo with their kids sometimes) is not proof that its actually hardcore.

Its been brought up before, but for a bunch of people who claim to be challenging gender roles by being loving obsessed with a cartoon for eight year old girls, bronies seem to be in a massive hurry to claim that its super manly and hardcore and dark and not for little girls at all.

They're desperate for a way to prove they aren't paedophiles.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The joke of barging in a woman changing and them covering themselves has been in cartoons since the 40s I do not think the character in the childrens cartoon got cold in a second jesus christ why am i even talking about this.

The joke is that covering up nudity is silly because she's nude all the time and the idea of sexualizing a cartoon horse is silly. Because who would do that.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The Leper Colon V posted:

Initially, "Getting Crap Past The Radar" was supposed to be the sorts of jokes that Animaniacs would let fly, immediately followed by 'goodnight, everybody'! That kind of thing. But we all know how tropers feel about subtlety. Or how important it is that the get to mention that their favorite anime did a partial double inversion.

Well yeah, there's a difference between something like Rocko working as a phone sex operator, the various poo poo that Animaniacs did and then something like My Little Pony.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Testekill posted:

Well yeah, there's a difference between something like Rocko working as a phone sex operator, the various poo poo that Animaniacs did and then something like My Little Pony.

The difference is that one of them is from your childhood, where the other is from somebody else's? :v:

Cartoon creators sneaking in age-inappropriate jokes for any adults who happen to be watching is as old as animation. Looney Tunes is full of contemporary pop-culture references that would have gone right over children's heads at the time. That doesn't make the shows "HARDCORE ADULT BUSINESS", if anything, the need to hide the jokes explicitly reveals them as being intended for children. But the shows are still made by adults, and cartoons have a long tradition of jokes for the parents.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

DStecks posted:

The difference is that one of them is from your childhood, where the other is from somebody else's? :v:

Except that Animaniacs & Rockos Modern Life aggressively told censors to go gently caress themselves. They took every attempt to slip in a dirty joke or something that kids wouldn't get.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Flesnolk posted:

They're desperate for a way to prove they aren't paedophiles.

And the way they prove it is by writing fanfics about little (cartoon pony) girls being raped.

Who was it that said during the Inspector Spacetime stuff earlier that tropers legitimately didn't understand that repeating the same joke ten times over with ten times as many words didn't actually make it a hundred times as funny? Because you were absolutely right.

Just For Fun: Heard Any Good Jokes Lately posted:

Why do elephants paint their toenails red?
* So they can hide in cherry trees.
Come on! Who's ever seen an elephant in a cherry tree?
* See how well it works?!
Why do elephants have flat feet?
* From jumping out of cherry trees.
How did Tarzan die?
* He was picking cherries.
Why are pygmies so short?
* They hang out under cherry trees.
What is the loudest sound in the Jungle?
* Giraffes eating cherries off the tree.

How many surrealists does it take to screw in a light bulb?
* A fish.
* Alternative: A pool table.
* Alternative: Two. One to hold the giraffe, and the other to fill a bathtub with brightly-coloured machine tools.

How many Dragon Ball Z characters does it take to change a light bulb?
* Just one, but it takes him six episodes to do it.
* (Alternate) OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAANND!!!
* (Alternate 2) One. But it takes ten episodes, two level ups, Piccolo and all the other characters dying and getting revived, and someone getting pecs the size of tires to do it.

How many hipsters does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
* Its some obscure number, you've probably never heard of it.
* (Alternate) One, but the hipster will probably insist on using his own special light bulb that you've probably never heard of. It takes twenty people to put in, but he claims it'll use 0.005% less energy. And anything's better than using those mainstream incandescent ones.

We have tripled the humor particles in this region.

Also:

quote:

A doctor, a lawyer and a Troper were discussing the relative merits of having a wife or a mistress.
The lawyer says: "For sure a mistress is better. If you have a wife and want a divorce, it causes all sorts of legal problems."
The doctor says: "It's better to have a wife because the sense of security lowers your stress and is good for your health."
The Troper says: "You're both wrong. It's best to have both so that when you're away, the wife will assume that you're with the mistress and the mistress will assume you're with your wife, giving you plenty of time to edit TV Tropes!"

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I actually wonder how much of "Getting Crap Past the Radar" comes as much from anime fans trying to prove stuff Dragon Ball Z is so totally adult because, like, in this fansub Gohan says "drat" and Yamcha dies.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Keromaru5 posted:

I actually wonder how much of "Getting Crap Past the Radar" comes as much from anime fans trying to prove stuff Dragon Ball Z is so totally adult because, like, in this fansub Gohan says "drat" and Yamcha dies.

You would actually be surprised. There's only three Dragonball references, with only one that is really reaching with them using the term Hell (as in Hell itself, not as a curse). There's a lot of carrying on about shows targeted towards teenagers having sutff that might be a little inappropriate.

An example

quote:

Pictured above: In Episode 5 of Fooly Cooly, "Brittle Bullet," Kamon Nandaba is wearing a full-fledged Nazi uniform with a genuine SWASTIKA on the sash. Given that Japan played a major role in World War II, this is defying the censors at its fullest. The American dub doesn't try one bit to hide it, though the mature audience probably knows it's Played for Laughs. A channel-flipping or web-browsing soccer mom, however... will be screaming bloody murder if they catch eye of the offending symbol. Way to push the envelope, Gainax...
Pulling a naughty tentacle out of a kid's head that turns out to be a guitar, then cutting to a scene of female officers with massive Nosebleeds, Canti actually removing Ninamori's panties on screen (and we get to briefly see her bare rear end — and mind you, this is a 12-year-old girl we're talking about,) or Haruko's Playboy Bunny getup. The title itself can be construed as a term for "sex".
Grandpa tries to explain to Haruko what Fooly Cooly (Or "Furi Kuri") is by mistaking it for Kuri Kuri, the Japanese onomotapiea for breast fondling.

FLCL is not a child friendly series. And with the bolded bits... How is that possibly? We're talking about a relatively obscure series (while it's pretty drat funny, no parents are going to hear of it) that, when it aired in America, would have a late evening or watershed timeslot. So a channel surfing soccer mom is going to switch to cartoon network during their older block, watch a specific episode of a show that is bat poo poo insane and lose it because a character that is being portrayed as a bit of a lunatic has a swastika on his armband for maybe 10 seconds.
They also use Death Note as an example because of its second opening theme had lyrics that were deliberately written to sound like they were cursing even though they weren't doing so in Japanese. Then point out that it aired in the Adult Swim block. So not a childrens show as it was aimed at people in their mid teens over in Japan and it wasn't aimed at children in America.

It's funny how they are so up in arms that parents dare say that cartoons are for small chiildren and then immediately throw shows that are intended for teenagers under that very same label.

EDIT: They use Ghost in the Shell as an example. They state on the main page for Getting Crap past the radar that "Most examples are found in materials aimed at children or shows alleging to be family-friendly."

Testekill fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 4, 2013

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Testekill posted:

You would actually be surprised. There's only three Dragonball references, with only one that is really reaching with them using the term Hell (as in Hell itself, not as a curse). There's a lot of carrying on about shows targeted towards teenagers having sutff that might be a little inappropriate.
I was actually referring more to the mindset behind the other entries, which I've seen on plenty of other message boards.

As for the other examples... um, wow. And I thought including Family Guy was pushing it.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Just a little thing, but I love how tropers freak out when something for kids has something even remotely dark or scary in it, like the average 10-year-old can't handle concepts like death or violence. It speaks volums about their own childishness.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Mr Tastee posted:

Just a little thing, but I love how tropers freak out when something for kids has something even remotely dark or scary in it, like the average 10-year-old can't handle concepts like death or violence. It speaks volums about their own childishness.

What's it that Terry Pratchett once said? "Kids love a bit of violence and being scared as long as the bad guys get whats coming to them" or something along those lines?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Mr Tastee posted:

What happens a lot of times is nerds on the internet think that ten year olds are four years old. Everything gets lumped into a generic 'little kid' box. You probably wouldn't put a lot of death, violence, or scary things in a show for four year olds, but most ten year olds are emotionally equipped to deal with a character dying. Some people find it hard to make that distinction.

It reminds me of the Tumblr multiple system who had a twelve year old kid as one of her personalities and would then act like she had no clue what drinking or alcohol was.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Djeser posted:

What happens a lot of times is nerds on the internet think that ten year olds are four years old. Everything gets lumped into a generic 'little kid' box. You probably wouldn't put a lot of death, violence, or scary things in a show for four year olds, but most ten year olds are emotionally equipped to deal with a character dying. Some people find it hard to make that distinction.
Hey, this is just like that quip that Portaxx made in that one F Plus epis-

Djeser posted:

It reminds me of the Tumblr multiple system who had a twelve year old kid as one of her personalities and would then act like she had no clue what drinking or alcohol was.
:o:

Apple Tree
Sep 8, 2013

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Who was it that said during the Inspector Spacetime stuff earlier that tropers legitimately didn't understand that repeating the same joke ten times over with ten times as many words didn't actually make it a hundred times as funny? Because you were absolutely right.

Me, I think; I linked to this:

quote:

Unfortunately this will not stop them from not only making “jokes” but also “helping” others with their jokes. They will read something funny on a blog or website and then decide to improve it in the comments. There are several ways of doing this:

1) Restating the joke completely. It’s unclear why this would improve it, but you can bet that if you have a gag involving a fireman wearing red suspenders to keep his pants up, at least one geek will show up to suggest that he use the suspenders to assist in the keeping up of his pants.

2) Restating the joke with only one element slightly changed. In the example above, another geek will ask if the fireman’s blue suspenders also keep his pants up.

3) Making the joke go on longer (Type A). This is often seen in the case of a brief parody of something. The geek will come in and attempt to extend the conceit on longer (because, after, more is always better and nothing should ever end!). While they may stumble across an angle the original writer didn’t think of, they will inevitably make the entire affair run on to such an extent that the original writer will have every regret he wrote the thing in the first place.

4) Making the joke go on longer (Type B). This geek will see a list of ten things, described as a list of ten things, and then point out that the writer “forgot” items eleven and twelve.

quote:

A doctor, a lawyer and a Troper were discussing the relative merits of having a wife or a mistress.
The lawyer says: "For sure a mistress is better. If you have a wife and want a divorce, it causes all sorts of legal problems."
The doctor says: "It's better to have a wife because the sense of security lowers your stress and is good for your health."
The Troper says: "You're both wrong. It's best to have both so that when you're away, the wife will assume that you're with the mistress and the mistress will assume you're with your wife, giving you plenty of time to edit TV Tropes!"

So ... the joke is that the troper is a fantasist who likes to obsess about how to solve the problem of all the sex he isn't actually having, thinks referencing a favourite thing counts as conversation, and takes more than twice as long to state his opinion as an educated professional? Is this supposed to be one of those 'funny because it's true' jokes?

quote:

We don't have an article named Main/ItsFunnyBecauseItsTrue. If you want to start this new page, just click the edit button above. Be careful, though, the only things that go in the Main namespace are tropes. Don't put in redirects for shows, books, etc.. Use the right namespace for those.

Wait, no, can't be that. What do they count as funny?

quote:

Rule of Funny

Any violation of continuity, logic, physics, or common sense is permissible if the result gets enough of a laugh.

Well, it's nice to have their permission, isn't it? I'm not sure it covers that joke, though.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Apple Tree posted:

So ... the joke is that the troper is a fantasist who likes to obsess about how to solve the problem of all the sex he isn't actually having, thinks referencing a favourite thing counts as conversation, and takes more than twice as long to state his opinion as an educated professional? Is this supposed to be one of those 'funny because it's true' jokes?

Its a rewrite of an old joke about a lawyer, a doctor, and an engineer (or whatever, it changes with every retelling).

The lawyer and the doctor say the same thing as in the Troper joke, but the engineer says that its better to have both because your wife will think you're with the mistress, the mistress will think you're with the wife, and you can be in the office getting some work done.

Its a vaguely amusing joke originally, though I think in this case the punchline is "lol I like TV Tropes." Its not terrible in context.

Apple Tree
Sep 8, 2013

MinistryofLard posted:

Its a rewrite of an old joke about a lawyer, a doctor, and an engineer (or whatever, it changes with every retelling).

The lawyer and the doctor say the same thing as in the Troper joke, but the engineer says that its better to have both because your wife will think you're with the mistress, the mistress will think you're with the wife, and you can be in the office getting some work done.

Its a vaguely amusing joke originally, though I think in this case the punchline is "lol I like TV Tropes." Its not terrible in context.

I think that's because in context, the engineer is the butt of the joke, not the hero. The troper seems to have missed that.

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

Apple Tree posted:

Well, it's nice to have their permission, isn't it? I'm not sure it covers that joke, though.

I'd give them credit for at least recognising that artistic license exists, but it's probably a way for people to explain that jokes aren't factually accurate.

By the way, I found an analysis page that wasn't empty:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Analysis/GoofTroop

Someone out there really loves that cartoon.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

kaleidolia posted:

I'd give them credit for at least recognising that artistic license exists, but it's probably a way for people to explain that jokes aren't factually accurate.

This must be a relic of a bygone era on that site. It's.... not bad. It actually seems to be written by someone who thought about the characters and what they're doing. Like, it's Goof Troop of all things, but at least that editor did his homework.

The next entry in the list of Analysis pages is Gravity Falls. Their analysis - The forest has small woodland mammals, rodents, and birds in it, just like a real forest! Also bigfoot. And then they link to a different wiki. :thumbsup:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Leofish posted:

This must be a relic of a bygone era on that site. It's.... not bad. It actually seems to be written by someone who thought about the characters and what they're doing. Like, it's Goof Troop of all things, but at least that editor did his homework.

The next entry in the list of Analysis pages is Gravity Falls. Their analysis - The forest has small woodland mammals, rodents, and birds in it, just like a real forest! Also bigfoot. And then they link to a different wiki. :thumbsup:

That's some quality analysis there boys. What I wouldn't give to mark the English exams of a dozen or so tropers. Because that's all about interpretation and analysis and we've established that, unless it's about My Little Pony, they're incredibly bad at it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
If you ever want to lose a tiny amount of faith in humanity, try checking out the TVTropes forum's Literature section. The thread titles alone are deeply depressing, and really underline how shallow their fictional reference pools are.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Djeser posted:

A similar problem always used to frustrate me about comics fandom. Whenever someone argues that there should be more comics for kids -- which I totally agree with -- someone else will pipe in with something that suggests their concept of "kids" is limited to "13 year old boys." Something like, "Too much violence and sex isn't a problem for kids. They're all playing Grand Theft Auto and watching R rated movies."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

kaleidolia posted:

Someone made an analysis page for Warhammer 40000. All it amounts to is claiming how much more advanced and more original it is than other science fiction settings just because the writers at Black Library and Games Workshop don't give a poo poo about scale or consistency.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Analysis/Warhammer40000

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

DStecks posted:

Cartoon creators sneaking in age-inappropriate jokes for any adults who happen to be watching is as old as animation. Looney Tunes is full of contemporary pop-culture references that would have gone right over children's heads at the time.
That's because it was intended for adults, not children.

Testekill posted:

What's it that Terry Pratchett once said? "Kids love a bit of violence and being scared as long as the bad guys get whats coming to them" or something along those lines?
C.S. Lewis, I think, but I can't find the quote right now.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Arcsquad12 posted:

Someone made an analysis page for Warhammer 40000. All it amounts to is claiming how much more advanced and more original it is than other science fiction settings just because the writers at Black Library and Games Workshop don't give a poo poo about scale or consistency.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Analysis/Warhammer40000

40k allows for a deeper understanding of 1984

The above entry almost contains this one. Any reader of 1984 comes into it knowing exactly what it is: an exploration of the evils of totalitarianism. There might be some surprises, but you never are fooled into thinking that the Party or Big Brother are the good guys. But what is this? You LOVE the Emperor of Mankind, the eternal savior of humanity, for without his protection mankind would face certain extinction. You know that even heretical thoughts create windows into the Warp for unimaginable horrors, but your moral sensibilities raised by (insert atrocity X) might cause you to question: Is the Imperium's rule really the last, best hope of humanity? Am I fighting for the good guys? Maybe those Tau, or that cult of freethinkers, really work for the Greater Good or want better lives for the miserable oppressed.

(the paranoid gut-wrenching moral dilemma here is captured by most half-way decent mindfuck spy movies)

Maybe you defect, or are corrupted. You quickly learn that not only are they as bad, but they are worse than the Imperium, that their boot on every human's face, forever, is better compared to alternatives. Hopefully, in the moments before the inquisitorial bullet claims you, you will have the comfort of knowing that YOU LOVE THE GOD-EMPEROR, because HE PROTECTS HUMANITY.

If you've been buying the fluff propaganda as truth, hook, line, and sinker, you now have an idea of what it is like to live in the same world as Winston Smith. Minus the whole actually living in a dystopian future.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
At least that page sorta admits the whole 40K setting is an excuse for over-the-top tabletop battles?

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

a travelling HEGEL posted:

C.S. Lewis, I think, but I can't find the quote right now.

C.S. Lewis posted:

Let there be wicked kings and beheadings, battles and dungeons, giants and dragons, and let villains be soundly killed at the end of the book. Nothing will persuade me that this causes an ordinary child any kind or degree of fear beyond what it wants, and needs, to feel. For, of course, it wants to be a little frightened. I think it possible that by confining your child to blameless stories of child life in which nothing at all alarming ever happens, you would fail to banish the terrors, and would succeed in banishing all that can ennoble them or make them endurable. For in the fairy tales, side by side with the terrible figures, we find the immemorial comforters and protectors, the radiant ones; and the terrible figures are not merely terrible, but sublime. It would be nice if no little boy in bed, hearing, or thinking he hears, a sound, were ever at all frightened. But if he is going to be frightened, I think it better that he should think of giants and dragons than merely of burglars. And I think St George, or any bright champion in armor, is a better comfort than the idea of the police.

Tolkien was the better fiction writer of the two, but Lewis' writings on the value of fantasy and children's stories to even an adult reader are good poo poo. He was a better lecturer than author. Most of his writings are essays and criticisms rather than stories, and a lot of it still holds up.

His predominant point in writing about the value of fantasy to adults and children was that fantasy was a safehouse for larger ideas that applied to all parts of life in different ways as people grew, because they were timeless and large-scale. (See Sam's speech at the end of the Two Towers movie for the tl;dr version of this.) If you instead promote stories about specific, small, petty circumstances, they only apply to those ephemeral stages of life they are written for and kill imagination so that people grow up to be obsessed with semantics and pedantry and are at best boring and at worst unwise and truly childish.

Ha ha, sound like any of the people we've been discussing in this thread?

Jay O fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 4, 2013

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Parsley posted:

That Simpsons one is absolutely brilliant. These people really don't understand ... anything. They don't get jokes, but they also can't think beyond beep boop trope. I realise asking for tropers to understand basic character emotion and motivation is asking for a lot.

If you think that's bad, check out the Dethroning Moment of Suck page for King of the Hill: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/DethroningMoment/KingOfTheHill and their entry for Flanderization (normal people translation: when a character's quirks are greatly exaggerated in a long-running TV show, like how Homer Simpson went from somewhat bumbling and crass to a borderline-retarded, callous jerk) on the main page. It's like they don't understand that people have different world views, people change, not everything works out in the end, and that TV writers sometimes make mistakes and/or often exaggerate a character because of idiot fans like Tropers who take things at face value or come up with their own characterization that's way off base (see: the many mentions of "shipping" the kids on South Park).

quote:

What I wouldn't give to mark the English exams of a dozen or so tropers. Because that's all about interpretation and analysis and we've established that, unless it's about My Little Pony, they're incredibly bad at it.

Ooh, I want to be the teacher who tells Tropers' parents at Parent/Teacher conferences that their take on comprehension, analysis, and interpretation is piss-poor. I don't care how many death threats I get; if their parents raised them right, then I wouldn't have to be the one to say, "I'm sorry, but I can't give an A on your son's paper about how Maybe Panty Explosion* is somehow more culturally relevant than A Separate Piece." And I don't think they're good at analyzing "My Little Pony" if the Crap Past The Radar examples are indicative of anything.

*Maybe Panty Explosion is not a real anime series, but it sounds so much like it that I had to use it.

Penny Paper fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 4, 2013

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Penny Paper posted:

*Maybe Panty Explosion is not a real anime series, but it sounds so much like it that I had to use it.

No, it's a roleplaying game.
Strangely enough, it doesn't have a TV Tropes page yet.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

I found this on the Nightmare Fuel page for Legend of Zelda:

quote:

Ironically, the "puzzle solved" sound. It's loud, and the chiptune-esque way it sounds can make players jump because it sounds out-of-place in a game that otherwise uses more modern video game sounds. It's particularly startling in dungeons, as it runs counter to the eerie calmness of the background sounds and music when there are no enemies around.

Tropers are so manchildy they're scared of a cheery noise just because it's startling.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

From a thread titled "Iran is building nuclear weapons." in OTC.

My God its Full of Stars posted:

At this point I feel like, as sad as it makes me, we have to destroy Iran as a nation. And yes, I am sad about it - the Iranian people aren't really to blame here, more so the crappy situation that the USA created with our own short-sighted goals of preventing "socialism" from spreading during the Cold War. I rather feel like we are Dr. Frankenstein who has to put down his monster, but we HAVE to do it - a nuclear Iran is only a single step away from terrorists detonating an atomic bomb in the middle of Manhattan, and the repercussions of that are too frightening to imagine.
So once more, we have to go to war in the name of our own self-defense, and the sad cycle of hatred continues.
After this war is over, the best way to divide Iran up would be to give part of it to Afghanistan, part of it to Pakistan, and use the north west corner to form Kurdistan, while the south west goes to Iraq.

I get the feeling this guy doesn't live in the real world. Instead, he lives in the land of strategy video games, where you can pull off Versailles style divisions with no regard to ethnic borders and erase countries from the map with the stroke of a pen.

EDIT: Later, in response to people telling him he's full of crap and that the US doesn't actually have the military or money to enforce that:

quote:

That's why I think we should grant the lands to other countries - it would be a good way to get them on board, if they knew that its a land-grab.
Also, instead of Kurdistan, because thinking about it that would piss off Turkey, let's give that corner of Iran to Turkey, so they have access to the Caspian Sea.
Also, its not insane, its self-preservation. If you think Iran wouldn't give countries like Syria the power of the bomb, you are a naive fool. And if nukes start getting passed around like candy on Halloween, its only a matter of time until they get into the hands of someone stupid enough to actually use them. I'm sick and tired of using the concept of the right to self-determination as an excuse for allowing authoritarian regimes with evil intentions to get the nuclear bomb. There is a limit, and that limit is nuclear missiles in the hands of theocrats and presidents-for-life. We have to put our foot down and stop this now, before its too damned late.

He just has zero understanding of international politics at all. He thinks the entire leadership of the world is clamouring to expand their borders like it was the 1600s all over again.

MinistryofLard fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 5, 2013

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

MinistryofLard posted:

From a thread titled "Iran is building nuclear weapons." in OTC.

I get the feeling this guy doesn't live in the real world. Instead, he lives in the land of strategy video games, where you can pull off Versailles style divisions with no regard to ethnic borders and erase countries from the map with the stroke of a pen.

Yes, what an excellent way to stop weapons from getting into the hands of terrorists: splitting up a repressed, yet still functional country and give the pieces to three nations that don't know poop from government, then expecting a third to spring up from thin air.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

And you just he thinks he's an enlightened thinker, helping out those poor barbarous nations who can't look after themselves.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Turkey wants control of the entire Middle East, just look at how they're using the Muslim Brotherhood to take control of Egypt and Kenya to rebuild the Ottoman Empire :colbert:

Seriously, though, I doubt they want more Kurdish territory inside their country. The Kurds give them enough trouble in the southeast, I don't think they'd be all that eager to add more territory that would give an independence movement critical mass.

It really is Versailles-level mapdrawing. We all know how well that turned out the first time!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Also, let's not loving forget that the entire Iranian Revolution was a response to American meddling in Iranian affairs. Enacting the goddamn Morgenthau Plan on them would go over so very very well.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Also notable is his omission of any Iranian rump state. This is what happens when you play real time strategy games instead of reading actual history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Yeah that dude definitely plays way too much Europa Universalis.

• Locked thread