Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Or just sheer incompetence on the construction crew's part. This has happened more than once over here:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Jeoh posted:

Or just sheer incompetence on the construction crew's part. This has happened more than once over here:

Lamp posts belong to a utility, though, surely coordinating with them is the responsibility of the traffic engineering office, not the road crew.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Volmarias posted:

I have the feeling that this is "insert square peg into round hole" politics, where bicycle lanes are now mandated for some reason, but there's no place to put them, so this will have to make do. I doubt an engineer had a hand in this, unless it was one particular finger responding to the request.

Yeah, I suspect the councils needed so many KM of lanes to meet a standard.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Lamp posts belong to a utility, though, surely coordinating with them is the responsibility of the traffic engineering office, not the road crew.

Actually in the Netherlands they are owned by the municipality. Since the municipality is also responsible for planning that parking the blame is completely on the municipal traffic engineering office (or construction crews, in which case i assume they will be fixing it for free).

My guess is a combination of wanting to boast X miles of bicycle path and dividing the work up among too many crews/subcontractors with weak central coordination. So one day they finished one of those tracks and it was fine, then the next contractor came along and put bollard/a fence in the middle of it because hey that is what the work order says.

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 25, 2013

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Yeah my old boss and I facilitated a 'clear the air' session for a 75k pop Dutch municipal traffic office once (a decent enough size), and they had less than 10 people for their work on every road, greenery, and waterway project in the entire area.

Local governments here have come under all kinds of strains personnel-wise over the last three decades, through cost-cutting and 'efficiency' measures, I imagine it's no different in other places where the neoliberal consensus got a hold over the narrative of wastefulness.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

The Atlantic has some nifty GPS traces of various intersections, courtesy of OSM/Mapbox.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

phongn posted:

The Atlantic has some nifty GPS traces of various intersections, courtesy of OSM/Mapbox.

That's freakin' amazing! I love how the Place de l'Etoile still looks like a total mess.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

phongn posted:

Wow, makes my commute (past O'Hare, 4th pic in the article) look like a work of art!

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

So, I got to drive through this last weekend:

http://goo.gl/maps/teIpD

What's going on here? It seems like they're adding weaving and two extra intersections where they don't need them.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
Very likely there used to be a toll booth in between where the ramps enter and exit. The Kentucky parkways were all built as toll roads with the tolls being removed when the original bonds were paid off.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Driving around southwest Florida is always a change from New England. Traffic engineers must love having ask these grids and huge right of ways

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Very likely there used to be a toll booth in between where the ramps enter and exit. The Kentucky parkways were all built as toll roads with the tolls being removed when the original bonds were paid off.

Wait, that actually happened somewhere? I mean they say that all the time, but I always figured there would be some Hollywood-style accounting in play from there on out to make sure the toll booths live forever.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

wolrah posted:

Wait, that actually happened somewhere? I mean they say that all the time, but I always figured there would be some Hollywood-style accounting in play from there on out to make sure the toll booths live forever.

CT used to have tolls too - can't direct link from my phone, but check out the Tolls section of this page: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connecticut_Turnpike

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Yeah we(CT) got rid of them after there was some terrible accident at one of the toll booth. There's been some debate about bringing them back since we're cash strapped and the surrounding states collect tolls. It's unsurprisingly not a popular idea though.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Amused to Death posted:

Yeah we(CT) got rid of them after there was some terrible accident at one of the toll booth. There's been some debate about bringing them back since we're cash strapped and the surrounding states collect tolls. It's unsurprisingly not a popular idea though.

Popularity has never stopped a politician from supporting rent seeking before, why should it now?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Because toll booths are highly visible and get people riled up unlike say a .35% increase in the sales tax which people read about in a news article, get mad, then forget about has it just gets submerged into a receipt somewhere.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Amused to Death posted:

Because toll booths are highly visible and get people riled up unlike say a .35% increase in the sales tax which people read about in a news article, get mad, then forget about has it just gets submerged into a receipt somewhere.

And then they get elected anyway, since Rob Ford had taught us that people really just care about the rhetoric and the little letter next to someone's name on TV, and that you can get a sandwich elected if its speechwriters and advertisers use the right code words.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Some of the traffic lights here (sw Florida) have blue leds hanging below them. Not every light, and not even every signal at a set of lights. Any idea what they are? Looks like they're on mainly during a red.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

Elendil004 posted:

Some of the traffic lights here (sw Florida) have blue leds hanging below them. Not every light, and not even every signal at a set of lights. Any idea what they are? Looks like they're on mainly during a red.

Those are "rat lights" which are used so cops sitting at an intersection can tell if someone ran a red light. They're all over Florida. They come on depending on which leg of the intersection has the red signal.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Those are "rat lights" which are used so cops sitting at an intersection can tell if someone ran a red light. They're all over Florida. They come on depending on which leg of the intersection has the red signal.

To expand on this: Since traffic confirmation/red-signal enforcement lights aren't considered traffic control fixtures, the MUTCD doesn't apply and colors/placement have no standardization. Most Florida rats are blue and mounted above the signal, though Tampa Bay counties use white below-signal aspects for their TCLs. Some areas mount them on the back of signal heads or inbetween signals on mast arms. There are a few red-colored rat lights, but those are very rare.

Also, most rat light intersections also have red light cameras now. It's even harder to dispute a picture if the rat is visible.

Varance fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 30, 2013

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
My new job begins in a week. I'm really excited, but I'm going to miss all my insider information, and I'll have to be a bit more careful about what I say in here. A quick Google search shows that this thread has spread far and wide across the Internet. That's awesome, and I'm glad I could help so many people, but it also makes me glad to be starting a new job! I don't have to worry anymore about my bosses finding out what I do after work.

Any retrospective questions about my time at the DOT?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cichlidae posted:

My new job begins in a week. I'm really excited, but I'm going to miss all my insider information, and I'll have to be a bit more careful about what I say in here. A quick Google search shows that this thread has spread far and wide across the Internet. That's awesome, and I'm glad I could help so many people, but it also makes me glad to be starting a new job! I don't have to worry anymore about my bosses finding out what I do after work.

Where is your new job?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Volmarias posted:

Where is your new job?

Still in Connecticut.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Still doing something transport related?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Cichlidae posted:

Are there any stories you wanted to share that you now can, because you're (or you will be) no longer an employee of the DOT?

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010
Good luck with the new job. Going to miss all your field reports from around the state.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Baronjutter posted:

Still doing something transport related?

Hell yes I am - just in a much more specific area of the field. I'll probably have a lot fewer stories to tell, unfortunately, but them's the breaks.

Grundulum posted:

Are there any stories you wanted to share that you now can, because you're (or you will be) no longer an employee of the DOT?

I can tell you that just about everyone at the DOT is crazy. Some of them, you can tell just by looking at them: nervous twitching, totally baffling attire, or they just won't make eye contact. They're fine, because everyone knows they're not right. They often make really good engineers since they're so withdrawn and detail-oriented.

But anyone you think is mentally fit is REALLY goddamn crazy; you just have to get to know them better for it to become apparent. One of my closest friends and coworkers thinks that telephones are literally magical and that every minor breach of the legal code should be punished by summary execution. We had a secretary who was so hopped up on something that she freaked out and undressed in the bathroom stall. There's a guy who seems pretty nice, but there's a big sheet of plywood mounted to the back of his Corolla that says "YOU WILL DIE." There's the maintenance worker who stalks his teenage daughter's friends every morning in the state truck.

I don't know if it's a 'state employment' thing or an 'engineers in general' thing, but the more sane people tend to leave as soon as they get the chance. Consequently, the older engineers are concentrated insanity.

porkfriedrice posted:

Good luck with the new job. Going to miss all your field reports from around the state.

Yeah, me too. That's probably what I'll miss most about this job.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Will you still love make red light?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Jeoh posted:

Will you still love make red light?

ALWAYS.

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK
So if everyone had a crazy quirk, what was yours? :v:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Cichlidae posted:

I can tell you that just about everyone at the DOT is crazy. Some of them, you can tell just by looking at them: nervous twitching, totally baffling attire, or they just won't make eye contact. They're fine, because everyone knows they're not right. They often make really good engineers since they're so withdrawn and detail-oriented.

But anyone you think is mentally fit is REALLY goddamn crazy; you just have to get to know them better for it to become apparent. One of my closest friends and coworkers thinks that telephones are literally magical and that every minor breach of the legal code should be punished by summary execution. We had a secretary who was so hopped up on something that she freaked out and undressed in the bathroom stall. There's a guy who seems pretty nice, but there's a big sheet of plywood mounted to the back of his Corolla that says "YOU WILL DIE." There's the maintenance worker who stalks his teenage daughter's friends every morning in the state truck.

I don't know if it's a 'state employment' thing or an 'engineers in general' thing, but the more sane people tend to leave as soon as they get the chance. Consequently, the older engineers are concentrated insanity.

Probably state employment thing. DOT is on an entirely other level when it comes to baffling plan commentary and obtuse and pointless requirements.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Opals25 posted:

So if everyone had a crazy quirk, what was yours? :v:

I'm the guy who walked around the building with a diving weight belt on in order to get mad swole thighs.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Cichlidae, does that appear to be ghost ramps for a stack interchange here?

https://maps.google.com/?ll=39.834015,-104.747772&spn=0.009821,0.016394&t=h&z=16

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

will_colorado posted:

Cichlidae, does that appear to be ghost ramps for a stack interchange here?

https://maps.google.com/?ll=39.834015,-104.747772&spn=0.009821,0.016394&t=h&z=16

I think those two "extra" ramps inside are added so that you can separate the weaving movements from the southbound 470 traffic. You'll notice that you can actually make the weave from the west side of the cloverleaf to/from southbound 470.

Edit: Ditto for those internal ramps on EB Pena

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I think it's the groundworks which we're supposed to be looking at. And yes it looks like they had an upgrade to a stack in mind.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Koesj posted:

I think it's the groundworks which we're supposed to be looking at. And yes it looks like they had an upgrade to a stack in mind.

Certainly seems that way. Otherwise, they'd have had no reason to split the C/D ramps from the mainline like that.

Mountain Dew Code Bread
Mar 20, 2008

http://goo.gl/maps/AB0vk

Encountered this intersection a little while back. I posted a similar situation a few weeks ago, but I had to share this one since it was in a much more heavily used intersection. It seems like this approach to turn lanes has to be in some guidebook for the area since this is in a different city than the last intersection I posted (though only a few miles away.)

It seems like doing it that way might save a little space on the east-west street, but I'm not sure that's worth having drivers deal with having cars on both sides of them going the other direction.

Or is this a radical new innvoation the rest of the world hasn't caught on to yet?

Here's a top-down view:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Woah I've never seen anything like that before.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
I take it people don't pull halfway into the intersection before turning left there, otherwise that would completely block the side street left turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
Welp, I'm all settled in my new job. The benefits are lousy, but the pay's good, so I guess I'll make do.

I guess I can share with you one of the things I've never been able to figure out: in the Green Book, they say that, on a freeway, you should be able to see the other travel direction from time to time. Like, if you're going northbound, there have to be regular breaks in the trees or narrowing of the median so you can catch a glimpse of southbound cars. I don't know why that's the case. I think they say it's reassuring, but honestly, I don't see anything wrong with the alternative. Ideas?