Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009

quote:

Any system can be abused, Baker allowed, but he said fears of the policy drifting to domestic political opponents don't justify rejecting it. "On that ground you could question almost any tactic we use in a war, and at some point you have to say we're counting on our officials to know the difference," he said.

From the article on the previous page. It's amazing how someone can come so close to figuring it out and then just zoom off in completely the wrong direction.

Re: The lady who was denied entry in the US for clinical depression: I was talking about this with some friends and one of them said that the person in question wrote a book about her depression, but unless that book just recently came out I don't know how it would be relevant to her getting hospitalized for depression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid Gloves
Jul 31, 2013

by XyloJW

rscott posted:

Re: The lady who was denied entry in the US for clinical depression: I was talking about this with some friends and one of them said that the person in question wrote a book about her depression, but unless that book just recently came out I don't know how it would be relevant to her getting hospitalized for depression.

I'm pretty sure it was the 911 call her mom placed. Again, that's terrible, this woman is obviously no threat to the country and so on, but I don't think this means that they have access to private medical records quite yet. Also I was thinking about it, it's laughable that America will keep you out of the country for mental health issues because we sure as gently caress don't care about them once you're already in the country.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Alan Rusbridger, the editor of The Guardian, testified today before the Home Affairs Select Committee today, and Keith Vaz asked him, "Do you love this country?" While this is certainly one of the most sensational things said, having reviewed the transcript, there was little of substance asked or answered. In the previous iteration of this thread there was a lot of scoffing at the potential for McCarthyesque proceedings, but come on, this is straight out of the "Find the Commie" handbook.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Do they teach about McCarthy in the kennels where neoliberal ministers are whelped?

Kid Gloves
Jul 31, 2013

by XyloJW
Don't know if anyone still cares about this but Pando responded to Greenwald yesterday.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Aurubin posted:

Alan Rusbridger, the editor of The Guardian, testified today before the Home Affairs Select Committee today, and Keith Vaz asked him, "Do you love this country?" While this is certainly one of the most sensational things said, having reviewed the transcript, there was little of substance asked or answered. In the previous iteration of this thread there was a lot of scoffing at the potential for McCarthyesque proceedings, but come on, this is straight out of the "Find the Commie" handbook.

I can't help but notice that all the naysayers have stopped posting entirely at this point.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Sudo Echo posted:

I can't help but notice that all the naysayers have stopped posting entirely at this point.

Might have simply lost interest, Occam's Razor and all that.

At the same time, I was wondering if they'd ever confirm Wyden's dogwhistling

It's all incidental, Jones didn't decide poo poo, blah blah blah all Stingray docs FOIA'd from the FBI are completely redacted.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Kid Gloves posted:

Don't know if anyone still cares about this but Pando responded to Greenwald yesterday.

quote:

As for the “grassroots” anti-TSA movement which Tyner helped promote — well, you can read [link to story about TSA shooting] to see how that turned out.
Holy poo poo these people are loving basket cases

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I think that the complaints about airport security are largely the overwrought whining of white people inconvenienced for 10 minutes but you have to be bugfuck to think that popular anti-TSA sentiment is due to corporate propaganda

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I attended a lecture by a couple of the lead attorneys on the TSA unionization campaign a couple months ago and I actually asked them about those allegations point-blank; they certainly didn't seem to consider it one of their major obstacles.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Tezzor posted:

I think that the complaints about airport security are largely the overwrought whining of white people inconvenienced for 10 minutes but you have to be bugfuck to think that popular anti-TSA sentiment is due to corporate propaganda

I remember hearing that a good chunk of it was because there were mutterings of unionizing which would explain why there was this sudden pressure against the TSA employees.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Tezzor posted:

There is a difference between popular sentiment and it suddenly blowing up in the news in the space of two weeks, though.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Further assumptions turning out to be 100% correct...

NSA tracking cellphone locations worldwide, Snowden documents show
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...1fac_story.html

And down the rabbit hole we go...

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Good bit of long form journalism detailing Greenwald and Snowden. They only talk to people on the anti-survelliance side however, so I'll admit a lack of balance. Then again, besides John Schindler and Stewart Baker spouting distilled jingoism, I doubt anyone would of given Rolling Stone anything more than talking points:

http://m.rollingstone.com/politics/news/snowden-and-greenwald-the-men-who-leaked-the-secrets-20131204

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

cr0y posted:

Further assumptions turning out to be 100% correct...

NSA tracking cellphone locations worldwide, Snowden documents show
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...1fac_story.html

And down the rabbit hole we go...

I used to work for a company that sold a thing(dont ask) to the army in australia. Anyway, the boss was asked to go on a training exercise as a civilian consultant up in the north west of australia where anti-terrorist troops would simulate some sort of scenario. Anyway as the thing started to unfold, ASIO (Or ASIS, I forget) turned up with a big surveilance truck to do their part and the boss got talking to them and part of it was tracking mobile phones. He asked if they could do it with any phone, so the guy went into his truck and 5 minutes later came back with a printout that listed his movements over the previous two days, to GPS like accuracy.

This was in the 1990s. And not the NSA, but ASIO, likely a fraction of the tech the NSA would have.

Trust me, they monitor the gently caress out of everyone.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

I'm sure they do. Now lets try and figure out how to get them to stop.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Binton posted:

This is making the rounds in the Canadian media today, seems like we're already halfway down the slippery slope and going full speed towards the bottom:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/11/28/disabled_woman_denied_entry_to_us_after_agent_cites_supposedly_private_medical_details.html

In short, a lady was hospitalized for depression with no police involvement. A year later she tried to go on a cruise from the US and was denied entry because of this confidential hospitalization. I mean I figured they already had access to everybody's medical records already but I didn't think they'd use this in such a blatent way. This will also be great for mental health stigma and people looking for help.

One of the bits of poo poo hitting the fan here in australia at the moment is that the govt has been giving the US everyones medical records, phone records, bank details, the whole loving kit. Turns out one of the down sides of UHC is the govt ends up getting records of everything. Well it turns out a friend of mine recently contacted medicare for his medical files for an unrelated to this legal claim, and they had a record of *every* procedure he's had, since 1984. I guess so do the Americans.

Theres no reason to believe the UK and Canada are not doing the same, as part of the "5 eyes surveilance network"

Aaaaand it looks like the US is abusing those records too if this Toronto lady is an example that can be generalized from.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Aurubin posted:

Good bit of long form journalism detailing Greenwald and Snowden. They only talk to people on the anti-survelliance side however, so I'll admit a lack of balance.

Maybe they would only speak on background.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

While I saw this in multiple venues, I think this Forbes article succinctly points out the dissonance between the intelligence agencies and those who are agitated by them:

U.S. Spy Rocket Has Octopus-Themed 'Nothing Is Beyond Our Reach' Logo. Seriously.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Reality is stranger than fiction. If someone had written a novel a decade ago with all that has been happening it would have been described as "too unrealistic".

Smile! :nsa:

Sancho posted:

I'm sure they do. Now lets try and figure out how to get them to stop.

The funny thing is that when you Americans have enough of it to finally act, they will just close shop and open it with a new name, and all will remain the same.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 7, 2013

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001
The FBI likes to spy too

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/2013/12/06/352ba174-5397-11e3-9e2c-e1d01116fd98_story.html

quote:

The man who called himself “Mo” had dark hair, a foreign accent and — if the pictures he e-mailed to federal investigators could be believed — an Iranian military uniform. When he made a series of threats to detonate bombs at universities and airports across a wide swath of the United States last year, police had to scramble every time.

Mo remained elusive for months, communicating via ­e-mail, video chat and an ­Internet-based phone service without revealing his true identity or location, court documents show. So with no house to search or telephone to tap, investigators turned to a new kind of surveillance tool delivered over the Internet.

The FBI’s elite hacker team designed a piece of malicious software that was to be delivered secretly when Mo signed on to his Yahoo e-mail account, from any computer anywhere in the world, according to the documents. The goal of the software was to gather a range of information — Web sites he had visited and indicators of the location of the computer — that would allow investigators to find Mo and tie him to the bomb threats.

Such high-tech search tools, which the FBI calls “network investigative techniques,” have been used when authorities struggle to track suspects who are adept at covering their tracks online. The most powerful FBI surveillance software can covertly download files, photographs and stored e-mails, or even gather real-time images by activating cameras connected to computers, say court documents and people familiar with this technology.
People like to paint government agencies as inept, not capable of accomplishing things like a healthcare website. I have always found this to be dubious. While they may not attract the best and brightest at all times, when new technologies are developed you better be sure our government will be on top of it and look for ways to exploit it. gently caress ups are paraded out in the media all the time, success is expected so there is not much of a reason to point out accomplishments.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yes but are we defining success as "you accomplish what you promise the American public" or as "your agency expands"?

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001
In this case I am conveniently ignoring promises of elected politicians and thinking of things accomplished by the workers.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Anyone who continues to use an email account after using it to send bomb threats to the federal government isn't "adept at covering their tracks online". Assuming they got the proper warrants, the FBI didn't do anything wrong, since this spying was narrowly targeted to a person who actually committed a crime.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Konstantin posted:

Anyone who continues to use an email account after using it to send bomb threats to the federal government isn't "adept at covering their tracks online". Assuming they got the proper warrants, the FBI didn't do anything wrong, since this spying was narrowly targeted to a person who actually committed a crime.

Exactly what I was thinking. The people who wrote that article are trying to piggy back on the current outrage regarding dragnet surveillance in order to drive some clicks, but the idea that the FBI lawfully obtaining a warrant should rile us up because they're capable of accurately tracking someone is nonsense. I have no problem with the government being capable of and competent at tracking people, except when they do it under dubious legal circumstances. I'd actually be kind of pissed off if the government sucked at this type of thing in 2013.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

This is a great piece from the New Yorker if anyone is interested in the political personalities surrounding this debacle:

http://newyorker.com/reporting/2013/12/16/131216fa_fact_lizza?currentPage=all

I'll suffer the Tea Party in Congress if it means the one drat thing passed next year is a veto proof bill banning bulk collection. I repeat that I think it's doubly dangerous; being an ineffective investigative technique and a great tool for repression. Those teo things compound one another. "We missed the terrorists! Give us more money to build climate models association maps to predict the next attack create a forecast map about the general pattern of terrorism throughout the world." It's all about the p-values. Too big. Smaller intervals, smaller standard deviations. Also, Al-Queda's leadership is not loving using phones. Wish the CIA was more than a institusionalized drug cartel, goddamn HUMINT.

This Guardian piece about tech lobbying too, since this is hurting their bottom line:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/09/nsa-surveillance-tech-companies-demand-sweeping-changes-to-us-laws

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

quote:

Not limiting their activities to the earthly realm, American and British spies have infiltrated the fantasy worlds of World of Warcraft and Second Life, conducting surveillance and scooping up data in the online games played by millions of people across the globe, according to newly disclosed classified documents.

Fearing that terrorist or criminal networks could use the games to communicate secretly, move money or plot attacks, the documents show, intelligence operatives have entered terrain populated by digital avatars that include elves, gnomes and supermodels.

The spies have created make-believe characters to snoop and to try to recruit informers, while also collecting data and contents of communications between players, according to the documents, disclosed by the former National Security Agency contractor Edward J. Snowden. Because militants often rely on features common to video games — fake identities, voice and text chats, a way to conduct financial transactions — American and British intelligence agencies worried that they might be operating there, according to the papers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/10/world/spies-dragnet-reaches-a-playing-field-of-elves-and-trolls.html?pagewanted=1&hp

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

God drat it now I can't even log into WoW and express how much I want to blow America up?!*

*Being a foreign national with a green card I should probably state for the record that I do not actually want to Blow America Up.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Well someone has found his dream job at NSA - to do nothing but play MMOs and still get paid handsomely for it.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
AOL, Twitter, Facebook, Microsoft, Google and Yahoo released an open letter where they call for heavy reform of the global economic spying program: http://reformgovernmentsurveillance.com/

Nice sentiment, but we'll see if their words are backed up with actions, especially after most of these guys meekly acquiesced to government demands.

KingAsmo
Mar 18, 2009

Tezzor posted:

AOL, Twitter, Facebook, Microsoft, Google and Yahoo released an open letter where they call for heavy reform of the global economic spying program: http://reformgovernmentsurveillance.com/

Nice sentiment, but we'll see if their words are backed up with actions, especially after most of these guys meekly acquiesced to government demands.

I think even if they are disingenuous this statement still gives good cover to the people trying to pass anti surveillance legislation.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Tezzor posted:

What specifically would you classify as economic spying?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Pyromancer posted:

Well someone has found his dream job at NSA - to do nothing but play MMOs and still get paid handsomely for it.

On the flipside, imagine joining the NSA and being pumped at your new spy life. In your mind, all the chicks at the club are yours, even the tens.

Then it turns out your assignment is WoW.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dex_sda posted:

On the flipside, imagine joining the NSA and being pumped at your new spy life. In your mind, all the chicks at the club are yours, even the tens.

Then it turns out your assignment is WoW.

Well that explain why employee morale is apparently suffering at the NSA.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Xandu posted:

What specifically would you classify as economic spying?

Petrobras is the most immediate example, or spying on Merkle, but these are just examples among many, the takeaway from all this is that the amount of deliberate collection and who it is targeted at is so vast that is impossible to honestly describe these programs in terms of counterrorism in either theory or in practice.

Tezzor fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 9, 2013

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

This reminds me of an anecdote from an episode of Law and Order, wherein veterans of 60's/70's anti-war movement police infiltration units remarked how later on they learned how their groups were often choked with undercover cops, at times making up the majority.

Are they trying to connect the stereotype of video game players' anti-social behavior with susceptibility to jihadism? How does this work? "LFG for dungeon, must hate Israel."

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001

Aurubin posted:

Are they trying to connect the stereotype of video game players' anti-social behavior with susceptibility to jihadism? How does this work? "LFG for dungeon, must hate Israel."
Maybe 'Played CS under alias ALLAH[JIHAD], always as a terrorist'

Oh dear, I probably have a file or two about me.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'm rather upset that the NSA did not see fit to offer me tips on improving my DPS or perhaps carry me through a raid or two.

I'm an American citizen, goddammit! I've got rights!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Next you're going to tell me that those 13 year olds screaming homophobic slurs on Call of Duty servers are undercover NSA operatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Has there been any identified miss uses of this surveillance against national groups e.g. Anti-capitalists, anti-establiment? (Not caught up yet... We'll at all, so sorry if this has been asked)

• Locked thread