Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

So Taker has a year or two more in him, right? Who would be a legit final opponent, and is it possible that they'd go over and break the streak?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

So Taker has a year or two more in him, right? Who would be a legit final opponent, and is it possible that they'd go over and break the streak?

In my opinion, no one.
He should have retired at 20-0, and the streak shouldn't be broken.
The only one who should break it is someone who is equally legendary, but that's a time that's passed now.
Brock Lesnar could have a really cool match with him at Wrestlemania XXX, but you don't want to give the streak to someone as part time as he is.

As an additional 'Taker question, would it be fair to say that while he was never the number one guy of any era, he's possibly the biggest legend in the biz despite that?

e: Or at least up there with the likes of Flair et al.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Dec 4, 2013

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
And to add another Taker question to the pile, can anyone give kind of a rundown of the BikerTaker gimmick?

Why did they do it? How was it handled on tv? How do people view that run these days?

I watched very little attitude-era stuff, but I was around for the transition back to the Deadman. It never made any sense to me.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I'm probably going to get buried with better info, but they did it because he is legitimately a biker guy, and they were really into those "blurred lines" sort of characters.

He just showed up at a PPV in new gear and JR was like ..."it's the Undertaker!"

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I loved biker taker as a kid. Absolutely hated the dead man character cuz I was like "man that poo poo is fake as hell." I'm going through 2000 WWF now, currently up to Unforgiven in September and biker taker is getting old fast. He just comes off as an redneck rear end in a top hat more so than he does a badass. The "this my yard!" stuff is bit ridiculous. He also keeps popping up in the title picture with loving Kane and I can't help but skip through the constant triple threats and fatal four ways. I haven't seen a good match out of him yet and frankly he brings a lot of potentially awesome matches down.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 4, 2013

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's pretty stupid if WWE doesn't use the streak to give someone a huge rub on Taker's way out. Reigns, Punk, Bryan or even someone like Ambrose would be elevated to a big level with that win.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It would have to come down to Taker himself I assume. He's definitely not Triple H but it's conceivable (and within his right) that he would like to end his run with the streak intact. I don't even know if the streak is of personal significance to him.

Having Taker sign off on the job would also be the only thing that would add legitimacy to the win, tbh. I feel like a lot of people will see / hear about Taker's loss and instinctively feel like they hosed up big time. Nobody likes the full-time main eventers and still fewer people would accept the streak being broken by a rising star ("why him?" etc). And given the WWE's history over the last 10 years or so, no way would they hand a hot prospect that kind of an opportunity. That's the sort of match that you're immediately associated with forever, no matter what you go on to do, or how badly you gently caress up.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Basic Chunnel posted:

The only answer is Stone Cold.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

titties posted:

The only answer is Stone Cold.

I remember the year 1998. We don't want more Austin/Taker matches. They do NOT work together.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Basic Chunnel posted:

No one is going to break the streak. They were talking about Lesnar/Undertaker this year, which would be pretty cool and easily on the level of Triple H if they do it right. I would like to see Stone Cold or Cena besides that, and that is about it really.

They are just not going to do a streak break at this point, that ship has long sailed. Triple H vs. Undertaker I and II firmly established that the Undertaker cannot be beaten at Wrestlemania. Pragmatically, no one who is a credible opponent needs the win and they are not going to put over Dolph Ziggler or some other low-midcarder with it after the last ten years or so especially, get real.

The draw to the matches is the build and making you think that maybe, just maybe Undertaker will lose this time (when he got a superkick/pedigree combination in HHH/Undertaker II I had a friend jump out of his seat at the two-count).

Minus1Minus1 posted:

And to add another Taker question to the pile, can anyone give kind of a rundown of the BikerTaker gimmick?

Why did they do it? How was it handled on tv? How do people view that run these days?

I watched very little attitude-era stuff, but I was around for the transition back to the Deadman. It never made any sense to me.

He just kinda showed up again after an absence with a braided ponytail during the Rock/Triple H Iron Man to do a clusterfuck finish, did a couple of promos, and was really able to just sell himself as a 300-pound badass with his promos. The biker thing is closer to the Undertaker's real-life persona, and they wanted something a little more relevant than a D&D character.

Bikertaker was extremely dominant in the ring and hardcore fans got sick of him burying almost everyone, sometimes brutally so. There are not many well-liked Undertaker matches from that era and in fact he wasn't widely considered to be that great in-ring until Wrestlemania 21 or so, when he started doing real showcase matches instead of lovely midcard crap. Before that he was about as hated by the IWC as Triple H is now, but still popular with the larger fanbase.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

In regards to Bikertaker, I think it was probably worth it for the Two Man Power Trip's,"poo poo! gently caress!" reaction to Bikertaker and Kane showing up to challenge them after Austin and HHH were done trying to murder the Hardy Boyz.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

I'll always love the Jeff Hardy vs. Bikertaker ladder match for the title: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_ANV_KiB9Q

I don't know how well the wrestling itself holds up, but I thought the story of the match was well done. Taker's face when he finally relents is just great and at the time and still now, I think it sells Jeff as an extremely tough competitor.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

ThatCguy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cZ7ndjhhps

Um, since pretty much the last 8 years or so?

That reminds me: was the "We Hate Cena" guy a plant or a real fan?

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
It will never happen, but if they brought in someone as the Undertaker's long lost son who hates his absentee dad, but has inherited his spooky no-selling powers, that would be a cool way to break the streak and keep a supernatural bullshit gimmick alive.

I mean, I can't see them booking something like that right, but I still think it would be cool. I just enjoy legacies being handed down in wrestling, even if it's usually a bit poo poo, like Miz's figure-4. Also, I like bullshit supernatural gimmicks and they're tough to get over.

Fantasy booking~~~

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Frankenstein Dad posted:

It will never happen, but if they brought in someone as the Undertaker's long lost son who hates his absentee dad, but has inherited his spooky no-selling powers, that would be a cool way to break the streak and keep a supernatural bullshit gimmick alive.

I mean, I can't see them booking something like that right, but I still think it would be cool. I just enjoy legacies being handed down in wrestling, even if it's usually a bit poo poo, like Miz's figure-4. Also, I like bullshit supernatural gimmicks and they're tough to get over.

Fantasy booking~~~

The only worthy successor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agXAh83NbmM

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Honestly, I'm surprised that they haven't started a new streak with a younger guy. Let him quietly rack up 4-5 Mania victories, then once Taker retires, push the next streak.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

OGB posted:

Honestly, I'm surprised that they haven't started a new streak with a younger guy. Let him quietly rack up 4-5 Mania victories, then once Taker retires, push the next streak.

Long term booking, good one.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

VogeGandire posted:

I remember the year 1998. We don't want more Austin/Taker matches. They do NOT work together.
I remember hating a lot of Austin/Taker matches, but in hindsight I blamed it on the fact that I wanted Taker to win everything forever, one or both guys being injured, and way too many Raws in 1999 ending with DQs and the entire Corporation/Ministry brawling around the ring. Were they really that bad together, per se?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember hating a lot of Austin/Taker matches, but in hindsight I blamed it on the fact that I wanted Taker to win everything forever, one or both guys being injured, and way too many Raws in 1999 ending with DQs and the entire Corporation/Ministry brawling around the ring. Were they really that bad together, per se?

Yes, they were. Although I could put quite a lot of blame on the fact that Austin was still adjusting to the brawling style, so he tries the occasional move that it turns out he can't do. I vividly remember one PPV match has Austin just busting out a Saito suplex out of nowhere.

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

OGB posted:

Miz is currently 3-0 at Mania.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
I remembered the Austin/Undertaker Summerslam main event being excellent, but apparently Big Dave only gave it ***1/2.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Perry Normal posted:

I remembered the Austin/Undertaker Summerslam main event being excellent, but apparently Big Dave only gave it ***1/2.

That's not a terrible rating, and both guys were injured for pretty much their entire feud.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Sir Jebus posted:

Miz is currently 3-0 at Mania.

For some reason I was recalling Cena winning at Mania by DQ. Interesting. I wonder if he'll get to keep it up.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

That's not a terrible rating, and both guys were injured for pretty much their entire feud.

Sure, I just had a rose-coloured glasses memory of it being a 5 star affair.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"Undefeated Wrestlemania legends, Undertaker and The Miz".

I'd rather it be Fandango or Michael Cole than that.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

OGB posted:

For some reason I was recalling Cena winning at Mania by DQ. Interesting. I wonder if he'll get to keep it up.

That was the original finish but Rock restarted the match and Miz "won."

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Wasn't Edge 8-0 or something before he faced Taker?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Did anyone before Okada regularly use a Rainmaker?

It's such a simple but brilliant idea for a signature move I'd be surprised if he was the first.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Barrett's elbow was originally the same setup, but I think he debuted it at least a couple months after Okada.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Is there a reason (safety?) that no one uses a spinning backfist in WWE? In fact, is Eddie Kingston the only guy who uses it as a finisher, period?

If I recall correctly, Punk used to use it in his little flurries, but I haven't seen it in a while from him either. It's a good 'out of nowhere' strike, can be countered in a number of fun ways, flashy enough to be a finisher, and a believable way to knock someone the gently caress out.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Like the punt kick, I can't imagine how to fake it without looking awful. It's hard to look like you're really swinging free and trying to nail the guy without swinging free and nailing the guy.

Somebody the size of Barrett, Sheamus, or Show could do a safe spinning backfist and get it over as a finisher, I'm sure. But the way Punk does it as part of a combo (i.e. safely) it's good but not something he could turn into a finisher for taking down a much bigger guy. Kingston's backfist looks like death, and I'm not sure how he gets away with it--I guess he's either just stiffing guys, or hitting them in the upper chest, which WWE's intimate cameras would make impossible.

There's also the chance of Kawadafying your own arm/hand.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 4, 2013

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Paulocaust posted:

I think it's pretty stupid if WWE doesn't use the streak to give someone a huge rub on Taker's way out. Reigns, Punk, Bryan or even someone like Ambrose would be elevated to a big level with that win.

This. It's a one-time opportunity to make a star and they'd be insane to waste it. It'd be like having a title that never changes hands

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Halloween Jack posted:

Like the punt kick, I can't imagine how to fake it without looking awful. It's hard to look like you're really swinging free and trying to nail the guy without swinging free and nailing the guy.
This. Kharma used to use it too but it'd be a bit much asking some of the Divas to take it and NOT get hurt.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

ABOUT DRUGS posted:

In fact, is Eddie Kingston the only guy who uses it as a finisher, period?

Aja Kong, the Vader of joshi, used it.

Punch McLightning fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 4, 2013

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Punk is constantly insinuating that he wants to retire in five minutes, so he'll never beat Taker. They won't even give Bryan a title run of more than a minute. If they really wanted to shoot Reigns to the moon it would work, except he hasn't been around long enough yet and people would go "Who the hell is this guy fighting Undertaker". By the time he actually is around for longer than a year, he'll have been Rapadooed to death or made to dance with Tensai or something as long term pushes must be met with equal long term burial lest Vince's Lashley Alarm starts blaring.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

If they were ever going to have someone break the streak, it should have been Randy Orton at WrestleMania 21. He was young, the WWE clearly saw him as one of their top guys for a long time going forward, he had a gimmick at the time that was uniquely suited to breaking the streak, and while the streak was starting to get attention, it wasn't nearly as big a deal yet as it is now. Those first three conditions could theoretically be met again, but the last one can't. The streak has just become too big at this point for them to break it without it seeming cheap.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Cena's breaking the streak because Taker's too old school to take it with him when he retires, Cena's got too much respect for the business to turn down a direct order from Taker & nobody else in the company is untouchable enough to even have it be seriously considered.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Nah, I honestly don't think they'd even give it to Cena. This is a gimmick 22 years in the making, and even WWE know that Cena has 4-5 years left in him, tops.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Diabolik900 posted:

If they were ever going to have someone break the streak, it should have been Randy Orton at WrestleMania 21. He was young, the WWE clearly saw him as one of their top guys for a long time going forward, he had a gimmick at the time that was uniquely suited to breaking the streak, and while the streak was starting to get attention, it wasn't nearly as big a deal yet as it is now. Those first three conditions could theoretically be met again, but the last one can't. The streak has just become too big at this point for them to break it without it seeming cheap.

At this point, the streak's too big to break without backlash against whoever does it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Rodney the Piper posted:

At this point, the streak's too big to break without backlash against whoever does it.

Yeah, people will TURN on whoever does it basically.