Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
red19fire
May 26, 2010

Dantes posted:

Because they don't want that responsibility. They simply want to play the game, not care about the flow of the battle and are tired of switching squad every 10 minutes to get out of the commander spot when they get it against their will. If there was an option to opt out of squad leadership and they didn't, you would have a point.

Pubbies are like Beetle Bailey. And I loving hate Beetle Bailey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Snackpack Backpack posted:

At least we can have 8 person parties now. Why would you talk to your whole team instead of just 7 other people? :rolleyes:

Haha, didn't the Xbox 360 offer that same amount of people?

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
You could actually switch the voip to be full team in BF3, which was manageable for 12 players talking at once, but I'm sure that 32 players all yelling "look out there's a tank behind you!" would be a bit too chaotic.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

V for Vegans posted:

I'm sure that 2 players all yelling "look out there's a tank behind you!" while 18 others echo game sounds through their open mics would be a bit too chaotic.
FTFY

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

So hearing you guys talk about all of this, I feel like I really have no idea what I am doing, and I am actually a really terrible player. Had no idea anyone other than commander could give orders. I just try to drop ammo and suppress on maps that I could maybe use a LMG without being at a serious disadvantage and scouting as a recon and spotting stuff on that wide open railway map.

Continuing with the noob questions, the recon thing that's supposed to laser sight targets, is that useful at all? How do you use it? Am I wasting my time because I want to just spot stuff and tell everyone else what to shoot?

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool

waah posted:

Continuing with the noob questions, the recon thing that's supposed to laser sight targets, is that useful at all? How do you use it? Am I wasting my time because I want to just spot stuff and tell everyone else what to shoot?

It's nice to see a little red diamond pop up every once in a while when I'm using the SRAW and knowing that I'm basically going to get free points. Although, most pubbies I see are using the Judge Dredd LAW rocket and I have no idea if that can be locked on like the SRAW/Javelin.

As for using it, don't you just look at the thing you wat to target and pull the right trigger? I have no idea, I've literally played as recon for one or two matches.

Hooray Dialysis fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 4, 2013

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Lazyfire posted:

Haha, didn't the Xbox 360 offer that same amount of people?

Haha yeah, wow, how backwards. Excuse me I think my house is on fire.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Label Facing Right posted:

It's nice to see a little red diamond pop up every once in a while when I'm using the SRAW and knowing that I'm basically going to get free points. Although, most pubbies I see are using the Judge Dredd LAW rocket and I have no idea if that can be locked on like the SRAW/Javelin.

As for using it, don't you just look at the thing you wat to target and pull the right trigger? I have no idea, I've literally played as recon for one or two matches.

The LAW can guide into laser marked targets, yes.

Also, all you have to do with the PLD is point it at what you want to mark, then it starts lazing it for your team.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

I didn't explain it well. I mean the soflam that you deploy and can use remotely (or whatever the gadget is that recon a get that has the tablet and switches to a black and white view when you use it).

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

waah posted:

I didn't explain it well. I mean the soflam that you deploy and can use remotely (or whatever the gadget is that recon a get that has the tablet and switches to a black and white view when you use it).

All you have to do is aim it and it'll target them automatically. It will continue to paint targets in front of it when you aren't using it so, for example, you can put it on one of the buildings on the dam map and point it towards the enemy base and it'll mark tanks as they come up the road.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Fellatio del Toro posted:

All you have to do is aim it and it'll target them automatically. It will continue to paint targets in front of it when you aren't using it so, for example, you can put it on one of the buildings on the dam map and point it towards the enemy base and it'll mark tanks as they come up the road.

Aaaah, so I just need to deploy it at a spot with good LOS that isn't in the open and it will do all the work for me once I place it? That sounds awesome.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I posted this in the PC thread but it makes sense to put it in here too

EA halts Battlefield 4 expansions to 'sort out all the issues'
http://www.polygon.com/2013/12/4/5175588/ea-halts-battlefield-4-expansions

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

waah posted:

Aaaah, so I just need to deploy it at a spot with good LOS that isn't in the open and it will do all the work for me once I place it? That sounds awesome.

It was extremely hard to destroy soflams in BF3, and anyone being locked by it will see a huge red glare from the soflam laser, so it's best to put them on top of buildings to minimize the area that can be splashed damaged onto the soflam, assuming the soflam is as indestructible as it was in the last game.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

waah posted:

It has a limited angle where it'll target and it won't turn to track or anything. So you may need to adjust it or manually track vehicles. If you can get it in a good position though you can definitely get some marker assists with little effort.

They won't though. You can beg a squad of 4 pubbie engineers to blow up targets you've been marking all game and they'll just keep on using the RPG.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Have fun unlocking the UCAV fuckers :cawg:

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Something I found out recently is that the LAW autotracks air vehicles as well.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Label Facing Right posted:

God playing this game by yourself when no other goons are one sure is frustrating. I was playing a match on Zavod last night and literally the entire enemy team was on top of the warehouses. I think I could feel my blood preasure rising.

So, I ended up playing with Universe Sandbox the rest of the night watching galaxies crashing into each other and seeing what would happen to Saturn's rings if the Earth was too close by. That game is pretty chill comparatively.

I was playing some Commander mode (from a tablet) the other night, and on one of the Rush maps, I had two entire squads sitting on hills, half a map away from any other friendlies (besides their own squad mates) trying to, I don't know what the gently caress. Spawn camp? Have a picnic? I wanted so badly to place HVT markers on my own men.

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 4, 2013

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Yeah I don't get that mentality. Sure, being a smart recon can have you back sometimes (I preferred recon in BF3 for tugs and my shotgun) but to just back there all day like a little bitch... I don't get it.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Why are those guys shooting rockets at airplanes and helicopters on that mountain instead of playing the game i dont get it bro we have a war going on down here

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Green Puddin posted:

Yeah I don't get that mentality. Sure, being a smart recon can have you back sometimes (I preferred recon in BF3 for tugs and my shotgun) but to just back there all day like a little bitch... I don't get it.

20x pubbie cannon 1 and pubbie cannon 2. They hosed up when they made the base magnification on the snipers huge and put an even bigger scope in. Gotta get that sweet KD bro.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So a bunch of goons added me last night on xbone, presumably from the stupid loving stats site.

I have a pretty decent sized group of IRL mates I play with (6 plus me) but we are pretty easy going and we all use mics and generally out having a good time ahead of milsim but still get tactical. We have way less "power" in these 64p games than we did in 24p bf3 that's for sure.

Mostly playing rush or obliteration for the time being though.

Also when can we expect to see custom servers?

EDIT: also I want to sort the stats site by region :australia:

Laserface fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 5, 2013

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Laserface posted:

EDIT: also I want to sort the stats site by region :australia:

You can filter the leaderboards by time zone but not country. So you can get an Oz/kiwi regional view. Hope that's good enough.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

When commanders give a squad orders to attack/defend an objective, all members of the squad see that right? Or is it just the squad leader and he is supposed to carry down those orders?

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Scob posted:

Why are those guys shooting rockets at airplanes and helicopters on that mountain instead of playing the game i dont get it bro we have a war going on down here

Bro gently caress you you can't handle my sick APM from up on this mountain anyways so it's cool

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Beelzebozo posted:

You can filter the leaderboards by time zone but not country. So you can get an Oz/kiwi regional view. Hope that's good enough.

it seems to work but only shows me PC players, and none of the players that added me recently on xbone.

unless they are all in some lovely non-sydney city :smug:

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Shapur posted:

When commanders give a squad orders to attack/defend an objective, all members of the squad see that right? Or is it just the squad leader and he is supposed to carry down those orders?

Bring up the commo rose ( hold the spot button) and hit accept orders and then your squad can see it.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Scob posted:

My bad it was obliteration mode not rush, but 8 guys out of 24 for one or two light helicopters?

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Laserface posted:

it seems to work but only shows me PC players, and none of the players that added me recently on xbone.

unless they are all in some lovely non-sydney city :smug:

Here you go: Austrailian Xboners leaderboard

Looks like you're winning!

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Good games tonight. Nailing a dude who just bailed out of a chopper with my jet was hilarious.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Beelzebozo posted:

Here you go: Austrailian Xboners leaderboard

Looks like you're winning!

:lol: amazing.

EDIT: on further inspection it appears this is the result I was getting except that all the people that added me from SA arent australian, and therefore I am not playing with you ever because latency ruins FPS games.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 5, 2013

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Robot Randy posted:

Have fun unlocking the UCAV fuckers :cawg:

seriously gently caress you so much DICE, why would you put something that looks like amazing amounts of fun behind the most unfun thing to do ever.

If anyone wants to just trade off jet kills in an empty Air Superiority server on PS4, hit me up.

PSN: deadwingSA

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Good games tonight. Nailing a dude who just bailed out of a chopper with my jet was hilarious.

I expect to see a video of that when I get home.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

leidend posted:

I expect to see a video of that when I get home.

Didn't think to save a video :saddowns:

Imagine a jet flying under a helicopter. Right as you get under it, you see a pair of legs, then a roadkill score pop up.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I rocketed a jet today, hit the Share button after dying like 15 seconds afterwards, and the video clip ended about thirty seconds before I hit the button. PS4 pro-tip: When you do something awesome you want to save, wait a couple minutes before hitting Share. :saddowns:

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
Hmmm, PS4 let me download China Rising finally, but when I go to server browser and select a new map, it still tells me to buy premium.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Really fun games tonight. It was awesome to go from level 26 to 36 in just like 4 matches. Finding a server that's only half full and just going around capturing and re-capturing points racks up your score really drat quick.

Porkchop Express posted:

Hmmm, PS4 let me download China Rising finally, but when I go to server browser and select a new map, it still tells me to buy premium.

Did you 'download' premium yet? I just bought it recently and didn't realize there were so many steps to downloading China Rising

1) Get Premium code, redeem in in BF4 or the PS Store
2) Go to Library > BF4 > Add-ons and download Battlefield Premium. From inputting your code, it should be free and it will download a small file that activates your Premium
3) Go back to Add-ons and this time download China Rising (~3.8 gigs)
4) Play China Rising

I have to say, downloading CR and playing BF4 at the same time was flawless. It took about an hour but went by quick while playing

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Kloaked00 posted:

Did you 'download' premium yet? I just bought it recently and didn't realize there were so many steps to downloading China Rising

1) Get Premium code, redeem in in BF4 or the PS Store
2) Go to Library > BF4 > Add-ons and download Battlefield Premium. From inputting your code, it should be free and it will download a small file that activates your Premium
3) Go back to Add-ons and this time download China Rising (~3.8 gigs)
4) Play China Rising

I have to say, downloading CR and playing BF4 at the same time was flawless. It took about an hour but went by quick while playing

Yeah I already had premium installed before China Rising, but for some reason it aint working.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Porkchop Express posted:

Yeah I already had premium installed before China Rising, but for some reason it aint working.
Try [Settings] > [System] > [Restore Licenses].

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

gibbed posted:

Try [Settings] > [System] > [Restore Licenses].

Weird, that seems to have done it. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoekie
Apr 22, 2010
Tired of playin against pubbies.

Won't be playing too much for the next few days but always down to play with some goons on PS3.

PSN: atrxb55

West Coast timezone.

• Locked thread