Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

swamp waste posted:

Haha oh poo poo i missed a joke somewhere didn't I :downs:. Anyway I'll give it a rest, I mean it does make sense that this isn't the thread to discuss anything that isn't the plot of Final Fantasy 7.

Elentor posted:

Thread Rules
* Talking about other Final Fantasies or even J-RPGs is allowed. You can go OT as long as it's not about something incredibly stupid.
* Do not talk about other posts. Like "People need to stop discussing X". As long as it's not a terrible nitpick debates, you can go crazy on tangents, but keep the posting quality up.

I don't see any nitpicky debates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Oh my god I am finally caught up on this thread.

You're doing an absolutely incredible job, Elentor! I love it. I've played FF7 a number of times, last time was ~2 years ago when I finally got around to playing my PSN-purchased copy. I've always loved the game and considered it one of my favorites, but it's insane how much I'm learning from this thread. I had no idea that last Nibelheim flashback existed. :stare: You also did a great job of making me care a lot about Aeris's death again, despite having it played out to absolute death by fans over the years.

Again though, great job, and I can't wait to see more!

Also I have never done chocobo breeding / KOTOR, so it's cool to finally see that.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

I JUST finished 100%ing this game. God, do some of the bonus bosses SUCK. I spent 5 hours on one. Still took forever to get the Gold Chocobo though, but KOTOR was worth it. Can't wait to see you beat the game Elentor!

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Wait, what do gold chocobos have to do with Knights of the Old Republic?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Frocobo posted:

You need the gold chocobo to reach Kenobi who will then teach Cloud the force, give him a lightsaber, and send him off to go kill his father, Sephiroth.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Frocobo posted:

drat it :argh:

Also, this thread got me to finally play FF9, which I bought AGES ago on PSN but never played. It's... alright. I just got to Brahne attacking Lindblum via summon magic and airships and the game's finally really drawing me in. I dunno if I care too much for the cartoony look of the characters, and I found Steiner annoying up until this point in the game, but oh well. It looks absolutely amazing, like the leap from FF7 to FF8.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Code Jockey posted:

drat it :argh:

Also, this thread got me to finally play FF9, which I bought AGES ago on PSN but never played. It's... alright. I just got to Brahne attacking Lindblum via summon magic and airships and the game's finally really drawing me in. I dunno if I care too much for the cartoony look of the characters, and I found Steiner annoying up until this point in the game, but oh well. It looks absolutely amazing, like the leap from FF7 to FF8.
The style is rather odd but FF9 is a fantastic game that more people should play. After you finished it, you should totally check out TheWhiteDragon's LP of the game on the LP Archive, it's great stuff!
Lots of wonderful extra tidbits, especially on the pretty-drat-awesome localisation that game had. ...the dwarves of Conde Petie speaking actual Scots just win my heart forever :scotland:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

FinalGamer posted:

The style is rather odd but FF9 is a fantastic game that more people should play. After you finished it, you should totally check out TheWhiteDragon's LP of the game on the LP Archive, it's great stuff!
Lots of wonderful extra tidbits, especially on the pretty-drat-awesome localisation that game had. ...the dwarves of Conde Petie speaking actual Scots just win my heart forever :scotland:

Still my favourite to this day. Everything about it, from the art direction, the dialogue, the emotional beats, and the mini-games is just so :3:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Well, except for Tetra Master, that blew chunks. However all the other minigames were pretty fun.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's not really right to say Jenova caused Cloud's issues, but it was definitely a factor. Cloud already had issues with feeling like a failure and wanting to be like Zack. I think it's probably most accurate to say that Jenova merely helped him believe in his mind that he was the person Zack was. If Jenova hadn't been there, he might have done the same thing, but it wouldn't have been so thorough and he probably would have known deep down that it was an act. Jenova just made it so he wasn't putting on an act from his point of view, he genuinely believed he did those things and was that kind of person.

Also parts of the story wouldn't make sense if Cloud wasn't affected by Jenova, specifically the part where he starts beating on Aeris after the temple, or when he almost cuts down Aeris at the City of Ancients.

I think the 'Jenova is fantasy nanomachines' interpretation misses a more minimally magical interpretation that might be more consistent with the rest of the story.

We know that Zack is a stronger dude with a better head for being a hero and substantial special training. Cloud, on the other hand, just saw his hero destroy his hometown, feels overwhelming failure and loss, and then gets tossed directly into (years?) of torture. At this point, a non-jenova universe would probably have Cloud stumble into midgar, meet Tifa, and spend the next several years slowly approaching marginal functionality as he tries to regain his sense of self. Hey, kinda like the dude in the pipe, right?

Instead, he's got some alien parasite thingy in him, with an innate drive to imitate as a survival mechanism. Lack a functional ego? That's fine, just build one out of the things the nice dude kept saying to you in a calm, reassuring voice in the long truck ride. Bump into old crush? Keep on adapting that identity. If anything, the jenova seems to help Cloud function, even if in a very broken way.

We don't get a deep look into exactly how the being a puppet thing works, but jenova/Sephiroth manages to brush aside Cloud's consciousness and control him.

I think the strongest argument for this interpretation is that confronting the trauma and rebuilding his identity prevents Sephiroth/jenova from controlling him, so clearly mental state plays a role in being a puppet. This is also consistent with the portrayal of Zack after escaping the cell. Of course, it also has the nice effect of minimizing the hojo factor and leaving room for characterization.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Madmarker posted:

Well, except for Tetra Master, that blew chunks. However all the other minigames were pretty fun.

To be fair, after Triple Triad, anything would have seemed inadequate, and at least for the one time it was required to play it in the story, you could save in between rounds without penalty. I don't think it was a bad mini-game. It just wasn't very good.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
It seems I'm still the only one who hated Triple Triad and enjoyed Tetra Master. But then I still don't know anything about FF8 ever that I enjoyed. That game was just a total disaster from top to bottom.

Oh, wait, it did have some nice music.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Serifina posted:

It seems I'm still the only one who hated Triple Triad and enjoyed Tetra Master. But then I still don't know anything about FF8 ever that I enjoyed. That game was just a total disaster from top to bottom.

The bit where two flying schools full of 16 year old child soldiers had an enormous battle killing a drat high percentage of each was pretty loving awesome, in a gigantic WTF kind of way.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Two Finger posted:

The bit where two flying schools full of 16 year old child soldiers had an enormous battle killing a drat high percentage of each was pretty loving awesome, in a gigantic WTF kind of way.

And regardless of what anyone thought of the story, that final castle dungeon was sick.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Two Finger posted:

I imagine future SeeDs studying the Battle of the Gardens in class, analyzing Commander Leonheart's decisions to abandon the defense of Balamb Garden to go save his girlfriend and to send dozens of teenagers to die in defense of the school cafeteria.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Serifina posted:

I loved Tetra Master and hated Triple Triad, so you aren't alone.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Serifina posted:

I hated them both, but at least Triple Triad didn't need active knowledge of hexadecimal math to make sense of. No, instead you needed to abuse the RNG to make it so that nobody played with the impossible rulesets. That's almost as bad.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
In addition to that, Triad was completely optional and was a good source of rare items, while Master was forced upon you and you only ever got 2 items out of it that you could easily get elsewhere. It's also kinda telling that the programmers didn't think much of it considering the only card with a direct effect to main gameplay could be gotten without ever playing it and if you're OCD enough to get the maximum possible treasure hunter rank for it, you get a glitched out text string instead.

Finally, Triad had 2 sidequests that revolved around it with decent rewards while Master had most of its high-level NPC players consolidated to a single location that you never even physically visit.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

morallyobjected posted:

And regardless of what anyone thought of the story, that final castle dungeon was sick.
Agreed. FF8 got a lot of things wrong, but the final dungeon was great.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

FF8's setpieces were pretty great in general. It had been a better game if it had just been about mercenaries being sent on missions all over a world during a fantasy Cold War. Almost all the parts that focused on action were pretty neat, what with running away from giant mech spider through a war torn city, two flying campuses battling, train jumping to kidnap the president, escaping an exploding space station, etc.

Of course there's still a lot that despite the LOVE STORY, so I don't really get why people hate it so much.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I like FF8. :sweatdrop:

The love story is dumb as balls, but I liked the game itself anyway. Replaying it now here and there, because I've never actually "broken" the game, last time I played through it I barely even used junctions until the very end.

Also, I still love the integration of FMV and live-rendered characters. FF7's was neat, but FF8's is considerably more polished. FF9's is pretty much seamless from what I can tell. That was a cool trick then, and it's still cool to me.

I definitely think FF7 has the best story/setting of the three though. Like everyone else, I just wish there was a lot more Midgar. Such a cool setting, but so underused. This thread is also helping me better wrap my head around the complexities of FF7's plot, that apparently I've just totally glossed over the times I've played through it.

... and that Nibelheim flashback, I still can't get over not even knowing that exists, and how important it is!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I imagine future SeeDs studying the Battle of the Gardens in class, analyzing Commander Leonheart's decisions to abandon the defense of Balamb Garden to go save his girlfriend and to send dozens of teenagers to die in defense of the school cafeteria.

Commander Leonhart's sole defence will be 'WELL IT WORKED, DIDN'T IT?'

Yes, if you ignore the fact that your rescue of her single-handedly started a chain of events leading to the entire world being compressed and absorbed by Ultimekia...

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

The love story is dumb as balls, but I liked the game itself anyway. Replaying it now here and there, because I've never actually "broken" the game, last time I played through it I barely even used junctions until the very end.

I think what I like best about FF8 is that the love story is totally something you'd see in real life: orphan boy with issues latches desperately on to the first girl he meets who shows him affection long enough for his dense head to notice, with the girl being someone desperate for attention.

Maiden fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 4, 2013

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Two Finger posted:

Commander Leonhart's sole defence will be 'WELL IT WORKED, DIDN'T IT?'

Yes, if you ignore the fact that your rescue of her single-handedly started a chain of events leading to the entire world being compressed and absorbed by Ultimekia...

To be fair he did protest that it was stupid idea and would have left her to die if all his lieutenants hadn't bullied him into it.

A love story.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

BioMe posted:

To be fair he did protest that it was stupid idea and would have left her to die if all his lieutenants hadn't bullied him into it.

A love story.

He didn't go and save her until he was literally pushed out of the school by an enemy :v:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
In general, the actions of the ostensible heroes of FF8 is one long case study of military incompetence in action.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

KataraniSword posted:

I hated them both, but at least Triple Triad didn't need active knowledge of hexadecimal math to make sense of. No, instead you needed to abuse the RNG to make it so that nobody played with the impossible rulesets. That's almost as bad.

Well you can always just deliberately lose all your crap cards to get around Random. Plus might still screw you but I don't think there's a Triple Triad player in the game who can even attempt a Same on a hand full of Lv8-10 cards.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.
The hexadecimal thing wasn't that hard to figure out. If you paid attention to which cards you won (or found) you'd notice that A cards started showing up shortly after 9 cards in rarity, and similarly up to E.
To be honest, there were only really two issues with Quad Mist:
1. The mechanics of the second character in the card's stats aren't immediately and clearly explained (It's a mystery, figure out the rules!)
2. I'm not sure if I imagined this, but I'm pretty sure there was an RNG applied to the fights between cards, even when you played a card with a clear advantage according to the rules of the game and the card strenths were assigned based on their stats and attack methods. Your 200-HP Lindblum card vs their 20-HP Sahagin card? Guess who's losing this fight!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

General Specific posted:

2. I'm not sure if I imagined this, but I'm pretty sure there was an RNG applied to the fights between cards!

Tetra Master is very highly random, yes. Bigger numbers do let you win more often, but everything but the attack type is random.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

AnotherGamer posted:

In addition to that, Triad was completely optional and was a good source of rare items, while Master was forced upon you and you only ever got 2 items out of it that you could easily get elsewhere. It's also kinda telling that the programmers didn't think much of it considering the only card with a direct effect to main gameplay could be gotten without ever playing it and if you're OCD enough to get the maximum possible treasure hunter rank for it, you get a glitched out text string instead.

I actually feel the exact opposite - Triple Triad was far less optional than Tetra Master and if you're going to use the word "forced" with either of them, it's Triple Triad.

Triple Triad was so unbelievably, phenomenally useful in gameplay terms that you were completely loving your team (and forcing yourself to waste an absurd amount of time using Draw) if you didn't use it. Once you realize just how brokenly powerful Card Mod is (backed by associated "Ice Magic Refine", "Fire Magic Refine", etc), not playing Triple Triad actually feels like intentionally making the game more difficult, the equivalent of a "No Attack" challenge or something.

In contrast, while Tetra Master is part of the main quest, it only showed up for a grand total of about 20 minutes in Disc 3 of FF9 and could be completely and utterly ignored the rest of the game. Even if you wanted to win that tournament, save/reload and a bit of total luck lets you handle things easily even if you've never used it before.

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

I think you are mixing up the cards with the actual game itself. The cards themselves are very useful and, as you said, change the game tons. However, the only unique cards (and thus the only cards you needed to actually play for) in TT are the GF and Character cards, all boss and opponent cards can be gotten by using the card command on enemies. As you don't really need to refine the character cards (unless you want to exploit aura + holy war to kill Omega Weapon) you can play the entirety of FF8, refining cards all day long, and not need to play the card game once.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

MagusofStars posted:

In contrast, while Tetra Master is part of the main quest, it only showed up for a grand total of about 20 minutes in Disc 3 of FF9 and could be completely and utterly ignored the rest of the game. Even if you wanted to win that tournament, save/reload and a bit of total luck lets you handle things easily even if you've never used it before.

I think if you've been diligent until that point in finding secrets and doing Chocobo Hot&Cold, you'll have enough decent cards that you can win the tournament without having won a single card game previously.
edit: You don't need to manipulate the rules in each city you visit, either.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
People get mad at the randomness of Tetra Master, but I think they were going for more of a "gambling" angle with the game, rather than a game of strategizing based purely on predictable outcomes. It doesn't make sense to get mad at dice for being random.

Now getting mad for never explaining the rules of the game, especially when it's random so you can never be sure what all those numbers mean (since a 9 isn't guaranteed to beat a 5)? That is a totally valid complaint.

Of course, I'd probably take either card game over FFVII's snowboarding. Mostly because I am unbelievably terrible at it.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Code Jockey posted:

...Whatever :emo:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Schwartzcough posted:

People get mad at the randomness of Tetra Master, but I think they were going for more of a "gambling" angle with the game, rather than a game of strategizing based purely on predictable outcomes. It doesn't make sense to get mad at dice for being random.

Tetra Master isn't presented as a random game, though. It presents its basic mechanics - pick based on arrows and stats, set up sweeps, use magic monsters to take physically-tough ones, etc. It has a tournament where the reigning champion plays with obstinately bad cards and wins through apparent skill.

It's really random, but it claims it's not.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sorry for the hiatus. I've started an RPG project which I'd love to show screenshots of but it's at early pre-production stage. I haven't had a lot of time to spare lately.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Elentor working on FFVII-2 confirmed!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Kheldarn posted:

Elentor working on FFVII-2 confirmed!

Oh no. Nononononononono. No. We already have enough FFVII spinoffs, and most of them range from bad to atrocious.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

SirPhoebos posted:

Oh no. Nononononononono. No. We already have enough FFVII spinoffs, and most of them range from bad to atrocious.

Let's see....Crisis Core, Before Crisis, Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus...I'm drawing a blank. The only one I liked from those was Crisis Core...aside from the leveling system. Were there more? I feel like I'm misssing some. Also, what program are you using Elentor? I use RPG Maker VX ace, for the simplicity of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
You tease. I still remember those pictures from that other project way back when, I wanna see now.

And suddenly I realized it's been like a year, maybe more, since those last pics.

• Locked thread