Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Welp. I'm all signed up. And I think I squealed out loud. Not a good thing since I'm putting the toddler to sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

nvining posted:

Pre-alpha testing has commenced, and is going as badly as could be expected:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/11/23/pre-alpha-testing-has-commenced-whatever-that-is/

(Those of you in the Dredmor beta knows how this goes, except now we have video drivers to worry about.)
I think the mailing list is acting up again, my inbox is empty :colbert:

If this goes as well as the dredmor testing :unsmigghh:

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

nvining posted:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/11/23/pre-alpha-testing-has-commenced-whatever-that-is/

(Those of you in the Dredmor beta knows how this goes, except now we have video drivers to worry about.)

This was a bit of great news at the end of a slog of a day, very excited to see what happens in the coming months!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Now I have to post this

I am in tears reading this, thankyou for posting it.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

nvining posted:

Mmm. Delicious tags.

quote:

Please don't file reports when the geometries are all wrong
some people just want to watch the world burn but are unable to do so due to rendering errors

PATCH NOTES 3.11
- For the last time, the geometries are supposed to look like that. It's not a bug, it really is a feature (and not the "bug we're too lazy to fix" sort of feature). Please stop reporting it or we'll club a baby seal.
- The material of the chairs laid by geese now properly updates as your colony's tech level improves.
- Citizens suffering from the effects of Theatre may spontaneously organize a song-and-dance number in the town square.

PATCH NOTES 3.12
- Baby seal clubbed. Now look what you made us do.
- Chairs may now be made from flesh bricks.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Nov 24, 2013

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Hello Sailor posted:

Mmm. Delicious tags.

I'm disappointed the final tag wasn't "where we're going, we won't need eyes to see" :iamafag:

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Oh god oh god. Can I just give you money and play now? You're going to get it anyway...

Please?

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Oh, an alpha?
Goes out to sacrifice a few goats and/or urchins.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

nvining posted:

I noticed Daniel in the comments mentioned the game is much more CPU intensive than graphically. Out of curiosity, which processors have you guys been running the builds on?

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

Requested_Username posted:

I noticed Daniel in the comments mentioned the game is much more CPU intensive than graphically. Out of curiosity, which processors have you guys been running the builds on?

Honestly, right now it's both. I have a minimum spec machine here (an HP ProBook 44000s laptop) and we die, badly, on all counts. If you have anything with the word 'i7' on it, you'll be fine. No idea about performance on AMD CPUs.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

nvining posted:

Honestly, right now it's both. I have a minimum spec machine here (an HP ProBook 44000s laptop) and we die, badly, on all counts. If you have anything with the word 'i7' on it, you'll be fine. No idea about performance on AMD CPUs.

In that case the game should just display a splash screen of a diggle laughing at you for having an AMD CPU

RiffRoff
Aug 28, 2012

Strike the earth.
Can't wait to have my AMD CPU explode.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

nvining posted:

So what you're saying is you need people with AMD cpus for testing right? What, I'm not winking that's a twitch I swear.

nvining
May 30, 2011

In which I deal with video card compatibility, and sort of figure out what our minimum specs are:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/11/27/the-joys-of-video-card-compatibility/

(Also, our other game is on sale today - $3.49 gets you the complete pack. But you knew that already.)

[EDIT: posted edited to reflect the true, terrible savings]

nvining fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 27, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

nvining posted:

In which I deal with video card compatibility, and sort of figure out what our minimum specs are:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/11/27/the-joys-of-video-card-compatibility/

(Also, our other game is on sale today - $6.49 gets you the complete pack. But you knew that already.)
Upon starting the game, 1 in 2 machines will refuse to display the abominations that are spawned from The Codebase of Elemental Evil.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Upon starting the game, 1 in 2 machines will refuse to display die to save you from the abominations that are spawned from The Codebase of Elemental Evil.

I don't envy you the task of trying to make this game not horrible on integrated graphics cards. That's just a Sisyphusian nightmare right there, on par with supporting older versions of MSIE.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Just take the route of the X Rebirth devs and call it gold, ship it, and let your player base mod in functionality. :v:

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

loving DO IT!

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1044/what-causes-piss-shiver

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

You want the Gaslamp devs to stimulate your prostate? That's what causes piss shivers.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/12/04/you-take-the-story-and-you-put-it-in-the-economic-simulator/
In which we debate the balance of having free time for your characters and how to handle it.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Daynab posted:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/12/04/you-take-the-story-and-you-put-it-in-the-economic-simulator/
In which we debate the balance of having free time for your characters and how to handle it.

"Players don’t bank possible work like that. Well, most people. MOST people crank it up just a bit because, you know, you get more widgets, and then there’s a problem and they crank it up like crazy, and then after the problem is gone and everyone is angry and tired, players will begrudgingly lower it and just sit around waiting for their characters to have high enough spirits to lower their morale some more."

Civ 4 whip economy, explained.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Let's be fair here, the whip economy in Civ IV was objectively the most effective way of kickstarting your civilization's long term growth. Hell, if you had cities with tons of unhappy citizens, your (surviving) citizens sometimes ended up being happier for it!

In unrelated matters, googling "baleful star" now shows the page for the tag "the Unblinking Eye of the Baleful Star watches over all subjects of the Clockwork Queen" as the ninth result for me. I certainly didn't find that out when I googled for the definition of "baleful".

nvining
May 30, 2011

YeOldeButchere posted:

Let's be fair here, the whip economy in Civ IV was objectively the most effective way of kickstarting your civilization's long term growth. Hell, if you had cities with tons of unhappy citizens, your (surviving) citizens sometimes ended up being happier for it!

In unrelated matters, googling "baleful star" now shows the page for the tag "the Unblinking Eye of the Baleful Star watches over all subjects of the Clockwork Queen" as the ninth result for me. I certainly didn't find that out when I googled for the definition of "baleful".

Gaslamp Games: your #1 source for baleful influences. Well, #9 apparently.

Your #17 source for "piss shivers".

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

You know, if you really look hard at that Van Cog painting, it reminds me of a Beholder if you sit and take it in as a whole.

I like it. A foretelling of things to come?

I think Piss Shivers should be higher on that list. More like #4 or something.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
That pictures pretty great, got a bigger version for the sake of desktop wallpapering?

And no, linking starry night wont be a clever so dont even try. :argh:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Shadowmorn posted:

That pictures pretty great, got a bigger version for the sake of desktop wallpapering?

And no, linking starry night wont be a clever so dont even try. :argh:

Here you go.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Congratulations, you get to go on the list! :arghfist::saddowns:

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"
Why "piss shivers"? Do the ageless ones etherealy tickle your prostate while you sleep?

Wouldn't cannibalistic savages be more appropriate?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dice Dice Baby posted:

Why "piss shivers"? Do the ageless ones etherealy tickle your prostate while you sleep?

Wouldn't cannibalistic savages be more appropriate?

What, cannibalistic savages tickling your prostate while you sleep?

I don't think this is That Kind of game.

Seriously, though, he's just trolling, and it is simultaneously the lowest-effort and least-relevant trolling I have ever seen, which is an accomplishment, so kudos as far as that goes.

nvining
May 30, 2011

December's technical status update:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/12/11/december-technical-status-update-santa-quaggaroth-is-coming-to-town/

Jacque Pott
Nov 6, 2010

Those phrenologists sound like they could be a lot of trouble if they misdiagnose people. Especially if they're Communists or something and make their political enemies look like Cultists of the Dread Bel'sham'haroth.

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

Dareon posted:

What, cannibalistic savages tickling your prostate while you sleep?

I don't think this is That Kind of game.

Seriously, though, he's just trolling, and it is simultaneously the lowest-effort and least-relevant trolling I have ever seen, which is an accomplishment, so kudos as far as that goes.

I am most certainly NOT trolling! I REALLY want to see that added to the game in some fashion. How am I trolling? I've never trolled in my life. Check my post history for Christ's sake.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Ah, User Interfaces, the bane of all software development.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Jacque Pott posted:

Those phrenologists sound like they could be a lot of trouble if they misdiagnose people. Especially if they're Communists or something and make their political enemies look like Cultists of the Dread Bel'sham'haroth.

Especially if they start dabbling in 'corrective' phrenology.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

quote:

Barbers, given a barbershop, will now also collect those who have been wounded in battle, and will subject them to Medical Care. (Please note that any individual who is working in a barbershop will *also* try to give medical care to nearby folks, probably using whatever is nearby.)

This sounds ominous, considering what we've heard about barbers previously.

Is the imperial diet a meat-rich diet?

nvining
May 30, 2011

LordSloth posted:

This sounds ominous, considering what we've heard about barbers previously.

Is the imperial diet a meat-rich diet?

More like "people will just be horribly maimed through unnecessary surgeries."

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Speaking of combat: How in depth/detailed is it going to be? Do your guys and enemies have straight HP values, or is it like Dwarf Fortress where it's possible to sever someone's second pinky knuckle on their left hand and have the finger fly away in an arc to be grabbed and/or eaten by a local animal/urchin?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Especially if they start dabbling in 'corrective' phrenology.

Reverse phrenology is the science of giving people lumps in the right places to give certain personality traits. It was first practiced by a troll near Sam Vimes' apartment.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

quote:

#"in other news we argued about if you can get useful wood from cacti"
It's definitely a useable construction material, but you can't really get proper planks out out of it. I'd say it's kind of like bamboo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Reverse phrenology is the science of giving people lumps in the right places to give certain personality traits. It was first practiced by a troll near Sam Vimes' apartment.

Pretty sure it was "Retrophrenology". Sounds better.

• Locked thread