Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011

Blistex posted:

Going to sound strange, buuuuut. . . I want to print an aircraft's fuselage lines at 1:1. I've been trying to figure this out in photoshop to no avail, and it seems all my google searches come up with how to get images to show 1:1 on your monitor (not what I want). What I want to do is print fuselage cross-sections (bottom right) at 1:1 on separate sheets of paper and tape them together.

Image in question: (naturally I am using a much larger source image that isn't convenient to upload)

I've tried setting the image scale in "image size" to its real life dimensions by inputting the real-world measurements, but that's isn't working. I don't care what size it ends up on my screen, just that I can span it over several sheets of paper (not doing the entire aircraft, just fuselage cross sections) and they end up being 1:1.

Thanks

Rasterbator is a popular tool people use to print large images onto tiled sheets of paper and tape them together to make one big image: http://arje.net/rasterbator

I also did a quick google and this discussion mentions a few other methods using photoshop etc.: http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/7480/cut-large-photo-into-a-grid-of-smaller-photos-automatically

raging bullwinkle fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Nov 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

e: Misread your question.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I need help with a drawing.
I'm trying to draw a fairly realistic elephant with just a mechanical pencil (my supplies are really limited) but getting convincing texture and especially the creases in the trunk are proving to be pretty difficult.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
I have a Photoshop question!

I use three different computers frequently - one at home, and two different stations at school. The ones at school have a thing on them where every time they're rebooted the settings on them go back to the default. I've got all of my custom brushes, actions, et all saved already, so those are very easy for me to just load up... but I was wondering - is there a way to save the workspace arrangement in photoshop? What I mean is, like the top right dropdown box where you can change how the windows and tabs are laid out, and then make your own and save it?

It's a huge pain in the rear end to get everything set up just how I like it for painting every single day because I have OCD and poo poo has to be just so, and I'd really like to figure out if there's a faster way to do this.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

That drat Satyr posted:

I have a Photoshop question!

I use three different computers frequently - one at home, and two different stations at school. The ones at school have a thing on them where every time they're rebooted the settings on them go back to the default. I've got all of my custom brushes, actions, et all saved already, so those are very easy for me to just load up... but I was wondering - is there a way to save the workspace arrangement in photoshop? What I mean is, like the top right dropdown box where you can change how the windows and tabs are laid out, and then make your own and save it?

It's a huge pain in the rear end to get everything set up just how I like it for painting every single day because I have OCD and poo poo has to be just so, and I'd really like to figure out if there's a faster way to do this.

I've never used Photoshop. That said, this seems to be what you're talking about, yes? I don't know, but if it's helpful, yay Google.

As for my random question, what would happen if you had a closed spaceship orbiting a planet in power down mode - i.e. no life support, no air, but not exposed to space itself - and left a dead body there for ~11 years? Basically, how would biological decay work in an environment with no insects or anything, about as close as you could get to a vacuum without actually being in space? If it makes a difference, they died by suicide (gunshot to the head).

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I'm not sure the bacteria necessary for decomposition could survive in such a freezing, airless environment. Mummification would probably be the likely result.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Lightning Knight posted:

I've never used Photoshop. That said, this seems to be what you're talking about, yes? I don't know, but if it's helpful, yay Google.

It is, sort of. I know how to make and save a workspace already, but what I want to do is save the workspace preset to my flash drive so I can take it with me and load it on a different computer. I can't figure out where the settings save to and there's no file created that I can determine (whereas when you export brushes, it makes a .abr file and so on). I don't even know if this is something that CAN be done, which is what I was asking about. :/

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

That drat Satyr posted:

It is, sort of. I know how to make and save a workspace already, but what I want to do is save the workspace preset to my flash drive so I can take it with me and load it on a different computer. I can't figure out where the settings save to and there's no file created that I can determine (whereas when you export brushes, it makes a .abr file and so on). I don't even know if this is something that CAN be done, which is what I was asking about. :/

Google says:

PC:

Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CS5/Adobe Photoshop CS5 Settings/Workspaces
Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CS5/Adobe Photoshop CS5 Settings/Workspaces (Modified)

Mac:

Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CS5Settings/WorkSpaces
Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CS5Settings/WorkSpaces (Modified)

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

raging bullwinkle posted:

Rasterbator is a popular tool people use to print large images onto tiled sheets of paper and tape them together to make one big image: http://arje.net/rasterbator

I also did a quick google and this discussion mentions a few other methods using photoshop etc.: http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/7480/cut-large-photo-into-a-grid-of-smaller-photos-automatically

Spanning them to multiple sheets isn't the problem, it's getting it to end up being "actual dimensions". I want to have them print out so that they are the exact dimensions I want instead of having to print->scale->print->scale etc.

Is there a setting that will let me set an image of say a circle to be 57cm across and it prints out on 9 sheets of paper (naturally after removing the margins the printer can't reach) to exactly 57cm across?

Rapt0rCharles9231
Oct 20, 2008

Internet Friend posted:

That drat Satyr posted:

Google says:

PC:

Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CS5/Adobe Photoshop CS5 Settings/Workspaces
Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CS5/Adobe Photoshop CS5 Settings/Workspaces (Modified)

Mac:

Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CS5Settings/WorkSpaces
Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CS5Settings/WorkSpaces (Modified)

Internet Friend has it right! You should have a typeless file sitting in the workspace folder.

For added efficiency if you're using Windows, make a shortcut file to the folder location on your school workstations and put it next to your workspace file in your flash drive. Then instead of having to navigate through eight folders every time, you can just click and drag it onto the shortcut file and it does the same thing.

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011

Blistex posted:

Spanning them to multiple sheets isn't the problem, it's getting it to end up being "actual dimensions". I want to have them print out so that they are the exact dimensions I want instead of having to print->scale->print->scale etc.

Is there a setting that will let me set an image of say a circle to be 57cm across and it prints out on 9 sheets of paper (naturally after removing the margins the printer can't reach) to exactly 57cm across?

Maybe I'm still misunderstanding (I don't know why you need to print > scale > print > scale anything?), but here are the steps as I see them. I stole this idea from that link I posted.

This tutorial assumes you already have a canvas set to the size of six A4 sheets of paper and a 57x57cm circle drawn in the center.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

raging bullwinkle posted:

Maybe I'm still misunderstanding (I don't know why you need to print > scale > print > scale anything?), but here are the steps as I see them. I stole this idea from that link I posted.

What was happening with me was I was resizing the fuselage lines to be the proper scale to print out at the 1:1 real life size, but they were not coming out to the sizes photoshop was saying they were supposed to. For example, one was supposed to print out to be 35cm wide, but instead came out to be 27cm wide. The margins had nothing to do with it, so I was at a loss for why this was happening. I had to print it out 3 times (altering the scale each time) before I got it to print out at the proper 35cm wide.

I'm going to try the tutorial you posted and see if that helps (also I'm using PS Cs2, so maybe something is different).

Thanks anyways!

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
The first thing I'd look at is your printer. Keep in mind that bullwinkle's method would require a printer than can print to the edges of the sheet.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Yip Yips posted:

The first thing I'd look at is your printer. Keep in mind that bullwinkle's method would require a printer than can print to the edges of the sheet.

You can print with "margin/cut" indicators so you can get uninterrupted lines (much like the rasterbator site).

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011

Blistex posted:

What was happening with me was I was resizing the fuselage lines to be the proper scale to print out at the 1:1 real life size, but they were not coming out to the sizes photoshop was saying they were supposed to. For example, one was supposed to print out to be 35cm wide, but instead came out to be 27cm wide. The margins had nothing to do with it, so I was at a loss for why this was happening. I had to print it out 3 times (altering the scale each time) before I got it to print out at the proper 35cm wide.

In that case I'd make sure you have the correct paper size selected and also make sure 'scale to fit media' is un-ticked. Other than that, I'm at a loss. Sorry!

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving
I got a 30x42" drawing table from a friend and it's wonderful, but theres some paint and roughness on the surface. I've been going at it with a razor blade which has gotten most of it off, but I still want to cover it with some type of smooth material.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a drawing table cover? I was thinking either hot press illustration board or maybe a large piece of Stonehenge paper.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

le capitan posted:

I got a 30x42" drawing table from a friend and it's wonderful, but theres some paint and roughness on the surface. I've been going at it with a razor blade which has gotten most of it off, but I still want to cover it with some type of smooth material.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a drawing table cover? I was thinking either hot press illustration board or maybe a large piece of Stonehenge paper.

Cutting mats are the superior drawing table top, in my opinion. Not only are they good for cutting in addition to drawing, but if you gently caress up and spill ink all over it or something you can wipe the whole thing down with a wet rag, unlike illustration board or paper.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Here's a 'stupid little question' for you. I have a photo of my mother in law with an old friend of hers, taken shortly before the friend died. It's crappy - from a VGA camera, I think, on a phone, and in low light. Where's the best place to ask a) can anything be done about it?, and b) can anyone help me out? The Dorkroom? Here, in CC? Thanks!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You could try that here. You could also offer like $20-$30 on SA Mart and someone well probably do a pretty awesome job on it.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
Is there a utility or script that can count just words of dialogue? Adobe Story seems to have this feature, but I can't find anything outside of that, and I'd rather not pay for Adobe CC for such a simple thing.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Vasja posted:

Is there a utility or script that can count just words of dialogue? Adobe Story seems to have this feature, but I can't find anything outside of that, and I'd rather not pay for Adobe CC for such a simple thing.

I don't know of one, but If you had all of your quotation marks paired properly, it shouldn't be too hard. Do you know any scripting or programming yourself? There might be a way to get notepad ++ to trim out everything not inside quotation marks (there's a ridiculous amount of stuff around for notepad++)

If you can't find anything, I might try my hand at coding something up really quick to sharpen up my dulled programming skills.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

The Dave posted:

You could try that here. You could also offer like $20-$30 on SA Mart and someone well probably do a pretty awesome job on it.

A word of caution, requests for spec work are specifically prohibited.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

NancyPants posted:

A word of caution, requests for spec work are specifically prohibited.

Point of clarification -- you can spec out all you want on SA-Mart, just don't you dare crosspost that bullshit to CC.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Thanks for the replies, but what's 'Spec work'?

Fake Edit - OK, where I want to see the finished job before paying, done 'on spec'? OK. I'll keep it out of CC.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Teach posted:

Thanks for the replies, but what's 'Spec work'?

Fake Edit - OK, where I want to see the finished job before paying, done 'on spec'? OK. I'll keep it out of CC.

I apologize, I should be even more specific -- the thing you're asking about is probably fine to post in CC, maybe as something someone could do as a favor for you. The restriction on spec work is mostly about people saying, "I need a logo, everyone make me a logo, winner gets $5."

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
So a friend of mine has a series of sculptures he's stitched together out of tyvek home wrap. We're thinking of cutting an extra long sheet wide enough to run through a typewriter, sort of like what Kerouac did when he wrote "On The Road". Since it's an impermeable surface I'm assuming normal ink won't work, what else could I do? I'm also curious about how tyvek behaves with florescent materials for the same reason.

Any suggestions?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
You should be able to get smaller sheets of Tyvek to test on. This may be something that would be easier to just experiment and find out.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

So a friend of mine has a series of sculptures he's stitched together out of tyvek home wrap. We're thinking of cutting an extra long sheet wide enough to run through a typewriter, sort of like what Kerouac did when he wrote "On The Road". Since it's an impermeable surface I'm assuming normal ink won't work, what else could I do? I'm also curious about how tyvek behaves with florescent materials for the same reason.

Any suggestions?

Maybe I'm missing the point, but why not just buy paper? If you go to a supplier you can buy pretty much any type you could possibly want in roll form.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Paper tears like, well, paper. Tyvek is a weird fabricy-plasticy hybrid that's much more resilient to the butcher-job that is stitching and sculpting.

edit- I've read in a few places that people have found sharpie ink to work. I don't know how feasible it would be to soak a ribbon in that.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
edit: posted instead in the dorkroom thread about it

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 4, 2013

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Sharpie ink definitely adheres to vinyl, which is pretty much impermeable, (and it's the only thing that does) so it probably works on that. How to get something like that to work in a typewriter's another question.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Here's a question for graphic designers/photographers/illustrators:

How do you present your portfolio that you bring to interviews? Do you have a printed book, an iPad, something else? I really need to update mine, just looking at all my options.

Most photographers who come into my studio have big fancy books made up.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

triplexpac posted:

Here's a question for graphic designers/photographers/illustrators:

How do you present your portfolio that you bring to interviews? Do you have a printed book, an iPad, something else? I really need to update mine, just looking at all my options.

The last two interviews I went to I just brought my laptop with a local copy of my portfolio site (in case I couldn't access the internet at their office). Most of it was conversation about my involvement and process with the work, not fetishizing the container it was presented in.

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards
Is it inherently offensive for me (a white person) to write a story where the narrator speaks in AAVE? Or just if it's inaccurate/over the top 'Law' sakes I gotta get me some co'nbread' poo poo? As a linguist I think I can do a reasonably accurate toned-down AAVE that comes through in writing, but I don't know if it'd be offensive just on principle.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.
As an amateur writer, I was hoping someone could tell me: is there a good rule of thumb for how many times I should be rewriting a chapter or short story before I move onto the more minor revisions and grammar corrections, and what are the major benefits of rewriting something from the ground up? I tend to be pretty poor about not going back and changing more than a few paragraphs of anything I've completed, and I think it would help motivate me if I knew how and why to go about it.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving
Well I'm more of an illustrator than a writer, but how I try to approach editing is almost as if i were someone else. I try to be very critical and go through my work making notes: "this is too long, this rhythm is off, this is confusing, etc." I also try to be very objective about the piece I'm working on.
I read somewhere how you as an artist have to wear a bunch of different hats when you work on your stuff. There's this disconnect you need where part of the time you're the creator and then you switch over to editing and back and forth.

Kinda long winded, but hopefully helpful..

I don't think there's a standard number of times you should rewrite something. Generally you're most attached to your first attempt, but often times if you rewrite and explore other possibilities for that paragraph you can come up with something better.

le capitan fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 6, 2013

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

God Over Djinn posted:

Is it inherently offensive for me (a white person) to write a story where the narrator speaks in AAVE? Or just if it's inaccurate/over the top 'Law' sakes I gotta get me some co'nbread' poo poo? As a linguist I think I can do a reasonably accurate toned-down AAVE that comes through in writing, but I don't know if it'd be offensive just on principle.

I wouldn't say inherently but it could very, very easily be construed as a racist mockery if not handled absolutely perfectly. Honestly I wouldn't do it.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

God Over Djinn posted:

Is it inherently offensive for me (a white person) to write a story where the narrator speaks in AAVE?

yes

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.
Thanks for this! Even though it's not strictly coming from a writer's perspective, I think what you're saying makes a lot of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

le capitan posted:

I don't think there's a standard number of times you should rewrite something. Generally you're most attached to your first attempt, but often times if you rewrite and explore other possibilities for that paragraph you can come up with something better.

Yeah, it depends on who you are and what you're going for. Zelazny wrote Doorways in the Sand and Jack of Shadows in a single draft, for instance.