Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Pwnstar posted:

I think I've got a pretty swell team to kick Irenicus in his big jerk butt this time around. I have:

CHARNAME - a magnetic, mercurial and maladjusted Mage
Dorn - a bloodthirsty bisexual baritoned Blackguard
Rasaad - a mystical, masterful, maudlin Monk
Hexxat - a villainous vampire vixen
Neera - a willful, wacky, winsome Wild Mage
Wilson - a bear

Not just any bear - the Bearagon of virtue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Anyone else know how to fix FPS issues with IWD2? I'm using the GOG version and it's running at like 5 frames per second. It's obviously not my computer so I'm hoping somebody else has already had the same issue and fixed it

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Pwnstar posted:

I think I've got a pretty swell team to kick Irenicus in his big jerk butt this time around. I have:

CHARNAME - a magnetic, mercurial and maladjusted Mage
Dorn - a bloodthirsty bisexual baritoned Blackguard
Rasaad - a mystical, masterful, maudlin Monk
Hexxat - a villainous vampire vixen
Neera - a willful, wacky, winsome Wild Mage
Wilson - a bear

How the hell do you expect to heal with this group?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Lots of potions and friendly temples.

Solid Jake
Oct 18, 2012

gender illusionist posted:

Hey, so with EEkeeper, does giving a kit to a multiclass work properly?

I used it to make a Mutliclass Kensai/Mage in BG1EE (because screw dual classing, I don't want to spend 3/4 of the game as only half of the character I actually want to be), and it works fine. You just have to do a bit of meddling and testing to make sure everything's accounted for.

Like in my example, just adding the Kensai kit didn't initially give the -2 AC and Kai ability like it was supposed to; I had to copy the innate -2 AC over from a pure Kensai and then test in-game a few times to make sure the # of Kai uses per day increased properly with level.

I am curious to see if it'll cleanly transfer over to BG2EE or not though.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Wingless posted:

Ah, but she is a Halfling, and I am racist against Halflings. I just can't take them seriously. Gnomes too. I should probably have taken Mazzy and Jan because it is likely the last time I will ever play the game, but whatevs.

Mazzy and Jan are two of the best characters in the game, though, dialogue wise.

Mazzy and Korgan also defy the "don't keep LG and CE characters in your party" because Korgan has a crush on Mazzy.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Is there really a bear you can have in your party in BG2EE?

...I want that so bad.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

oswald ownenstein posted:

Mazzy and Jan are two of the best characters in the game, though, dialogue wise.

Mazzy and Korgan also defy the "don't keep LG and CE characters in your party" because Korgan has a crush on Mazzy.
I don't know which is scarier; Korgan wanting to gently caress you or kill you.

Korgan: "Be aware, Mazzy, I've something long, hard and low to the ground ye're free to touch and fondle. Child, no need to glare! 'Twas me axe I were referring to."
Mazzy: "Your sense of humor has no sense in it, Korgan. Quite tasteless, and I'd appreciate if you would keep it to yourself!"
Korgan: "Were ye aware, Mazzy, that despite my gruff bearing and taciturn manner, I am also trained in the erotic arts?"

ChiTownEddie posted:

Is there really a bear you can have in your party in BG2EE?

...I want that so bad.
Yes, but he isn't very good. You need to learn about him from one of the people in the Wild Mage camp from Neera's quest and then you can meet the bear when you visit an area unlocked by Rasaad's quest. Speak to the bear, then secure its freedom and after that you can meet and recruit it from the point of entry in the area you found it in.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

MrTheDevious posted:

Anyone else know how to fix FPS issues with IWD2? I'm using the GOG version and it's running at like 5 frames per second. It's obviously not my computer so I'm hoping somebody else has already had the same issue and fixed it

There's one particular map in the goblin warrens that chugs badly until you kill a certain pack of enemies. Not sure if that helps.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

oswald ownenstein posted:

I'm surprised Jan has so many fans honestly. The dude is just nonstop monkey cheese ~so random~ bullshit, CAD style. At least Minsc has the decency to thoroughly abuse metaphors in creative if insane ways.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm surprised Jan has so many fans honestly. The dude is just nonstop monkey cheese ~so random~ bullshit, CAD style. At least Minsc has the decency to thoroughly abuse metaphors in creative if insane ways.

Jan just likes making the characters who take themselves too seriously insane with rage. Which is most of them. He's the perfect foil for any party. And really, he's essential if you take Anomen. Here's the thing though: if the people he made fun of just played along with his jokes instead of getting unreasonably angry, he'd probably leave them alone. Jan's role shows how most of these so-called good characters are actually kind of dickish.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

MrTheDevious posted:

Try following the steps here: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Icewind_Dale_II#Issues_and_Fixes

e: drat that sucks.

Kobogartimer fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 6, 2013

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Agreed. I never liked Jan. He was pretty much the embodiment of "lol random" and I found him annoying rather than funny. I did like the fact that his personal quest didn't end in a sugary sweet manner and instead had a realistic end (for those who haven't seen it, Jan's old crush seeks shelter with him from her abusive husband but eventually goes back to him after he promises to stop beating her; which is a pretty realistic depiction of what often happens with battered women). Though the ToB epilogue reversed that and had Jan murder the guy in a "wacky" manner and then marries the woman to provide a good ending.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Tried that plus another 10 or so various posted fixes, nothing helped. Just uninstalled it :sigh:

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Excelzior posted:

Not just any bear - the Bearagon of virtue.
I found this, but does Wilson get fighter HLAs?

quote:

He can enrage like Minsc (without the immunities though)
lvl 7 his weapons become +1 and he becomes specialized in them
lvl 8 he regenerates 2hp/turns and gains +1 str
lvl 13 weapons +2, masteries, 3.5 atk/rounds
lvl 16 regeneration 3hp/turns and +1 str
lvl 19 weapons +3, high mastery, 4 atk/rounds
lvl 24regeneration 4hp/turns and +1 str
lvl 25 weapons +4, grand mastery, 4.5 atk/rounds
lvl 31 weapons +5, 5 atk/rounds
lvl 32 regeneration 5hp/turns and +1 str
lvl 40 regeneration 6hp/turns and +1 str

Special Abilities: Is a freakin' bear. Equipped with claws and bite; gains +1 to their enchantment level and his proficiency pips in them every 6 levels. Gains a 1/2 attack/round and -2 AC every 6 levels up to -2 AC at level 24. 15% chance to Hug enemy for an extra 2d6 crushing damage every hit. Can go into a rage once every 6 levels. Strength and Regeneration rate improve by 1 every 8 levels, starting at 19 STR and 1 HP/turn. Can drink healing potions but nothing else. Cannot wear anything. Cannot speak Common.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 6, 2013

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I really like the idea of a Cleric casting Champion's Strength on a bear.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I think people like Jan more because he trolls the player and the other NPCs constantly rather than because of his obsession with turnips.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The unfinished business mod gives him the ability to craft (terribly bugged) boots of polymorph and an actually-quite-useful insect swarm variant of his stun skull bolts.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

zedprime posted:

Second last level there's a party locked in the closet who can watch over you while you rest. Alternatively if your problem is actually fighting on the level, be meat shields with the tradeoff they will steal your experience and might die preventing you from resting while clearing out the next level without retreating all the way back to the second level.

The dungeon delving only gets deeper (or taller for a moment) from there.

Yep that's where I've been resting (it's on the third level out of four). But they are pretty much at the end of the level, unless you already know they're there, so I didn't find them until late. The real problem is the 4th level with all the Elite Whatstheirname and their freaking +2 arrows.

I think my tank is not very good either - I'm not half as good as people here for ADD 2.0 rules. He was level 6 or 7 Paladin by then, with -3 AC. He took a lot of damage, even with the Protection from Missiles buff so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Furism posted:

Yep that's where I've been resting (it's on the third level out of four). But they are pretty much at the end of the level, unless you already know they're there, so I didn't find them until late. The real problem is the 4th level with all the Elite Whatstheirname and their freaking +2 arrows.

I think my tank is not very good either - I'm not half as good as people here for ADD 2.0 rules. He was level 6 or 7 Paladin by then, with -3 AC. He took a lot of damage, even with the Protection from Missiles buff so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Protection from Normal Missiles won't protect from +2 arrows.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Furism posted:

Depending the room you're trying to attack there's a nasty dude in one that has a killer bow. Tossing out a web can severely reduce their murdering. Toss a web, load up with bows yourselves and start plinking away. Your reward for this is an awesome bow.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

After putting ~70 hours into the BG series in the last 2 weeks, I'm a little burned out and taking a break. I've never actually beaten IWD2, and am about to give it a go. Thinking up character builds is really making me remember how much I hate 3.0 D&D. If I remember right, IWD2 bards are significantly better than they actually were in actual 3.0, correct?

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

Devorum posted:

After putting ~70 hours into the BG series in the last 2 weeks, I'm a little burned out and taking a break. I've never actually beaten IWD2, and am about to give it a go. Thinking up character builds is really making me remember how much I hate 3.0 D&D. If I remember right, IWD2 bards are significantly better than they actually were in actual 3.0, correct?

You're taking a break from BG by playing IWD2? That seems...like not a break at all.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm playing a new Baldurs Gate EE game this weekend and I want to use Edwin in my party, since I never have and he seems to be a Pretty Cool Guy.

I'm planning on playing a Chaotic Neutral Fighter/Mage, since they own, with the intention of playing through to EE2.

I think I want to use Dorn, since he is also awesome. Any suggestions for more party members to round this out?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Factor_VIII posted:

I did like the fact that his personal quest didn't end in a sugary sweet manner

Um, do you have any experience with, say, the Viconia romance? That hardly ends in a sugary-sweet manner.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Gyshall posted:

I'm playing a new Baldurs Gate EE game this weekend and I want to use Edwin in my party, since I never have and he seems to be a Pretty Cool Guy.

I'm planning on playing a Chaotic Neutral Fighter/Mage, since they own, with the intention of playing through to EE2.

I think I want to use Dorn, since he is also awesome. Any suggestions for more party members to round this out?

Some ideas:

F/M PC, Dorn, Kagain, Viconia, Edwin, Imoen

If you don't care about Imoen then grab Shar-teel and dual class into rogue at like fighter level 3 or something just to take advantage of the fighter hit dice maybe.

If you don't are about Viconia and Imoen then grab Tiax and have fun with his summon ability and fill your last slot with Branwen for pure class cleric power or Shar-teel for even more physical obliteration.

I'm just not a big fan of Xzar/Montaron when it comes down to it.

Kagain doesn't get a lot of discussion but he's still probably one of the best warriors in the game and for BG1 when he's walking around with 20 constitution.

MrTheDevious posted:

Refer to step 6 here:

http://zeckul.wordpress.com/2012/01/10/icewind-dale-2-ultimate-installation-guide/

It's a frequent problem. The same fix applies for problems in Planescape. For some reason they got rid of the DirectDraw options in those games so you have to force it yourself.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 6, 2013

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Do Inquisitors still get 2x dispel and truesight in the enhanced editions? Also are there any particular protections that these two skills wont remove? Even things like absolute immunity and spell trap will be dispelled? I'm just wondering if I need particular debuff spells or if an Inquisitor can truly handle it all.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Spell protections (like spell trap) will not be removed by dispel, however they will do nothing to prevent the other protections from being removed. The only way to be protected from that is to have spell immunity: abjuration up, but no enemy casts that spell unless you have mods install.

So play an inquisitor, cast dispel, beat them up.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

HAve you seen Beamdog's forums? Those people gobble this poo poo right up.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Rascyc posted:

Kagain doesn't get a lot of discussion but he's still probably one of the best warriors in the game and for BG1 when he's walking around with 20 constitution.
His constitution is great, though his strength (16) and dexterity (12) aren't that great. I guess you could slap the gauntlets of dexterity or strength or the belt of strength from the enhanced edition to turn him into a physical stat juggernaut, though that would deny these items to other characters. He does have the advantage that he can get grandmastery though and he does level faster than rangers, paladins or multiclass PCs so he certainly has advantages.

TINA TURNER posted:

HAve you seen Beamdog's forums? Those people gobble this poo poo right up.
I though that some of the "wacky" dialog the PC gets in the new content is rather excessive. The original game had the PC use some too, but it was more sporadic and rather more low key.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

When the PC is a snide rear end in a top hat in original content it's understated. When the PC tries to be funny in the EE content he tries way way too hard.

gdsfjkl
Feb 28, 2011

Corvinus posted:

I found this, but does Wilson get fighter HLAs?
Wilson does get fighter HLAs! Hardiness helps him survive but he is still pretty much made out of paper. Also, he can break some dialogues when he's supposed to speak.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I gotta say I am really enjoying my run as a Halfling Fighter/Thief. As much as Half Orc gets talked up, I find that the strength bonus is kind of inconsequential compared to shorty saving throws. That poo poo will save your life ten times over.

The thief skill bonuses don't hurt either.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Rascyc posted:

Some ideas:

F/M PC, Dorn, Kagain, Viconia, Edwin, Imoen

If you don't care about Imoen then grab Shar-teel and dual class into rogue at like fighter level 3 or something just to take advantage of the fighter hit dice maybe.

If you don't are about Viconia and Imoen then grab Tiax and have fun with his summon ability and fill your last slot with Branwen for pure class cleric power or Shar-teel for even more physical obliteration.

I'm just not a big fan of Xzar/Montaron when it comes down to it.

*My IWD2 Issues*
Refer to step 6 here:

http://zeckul.wordpress.com/2012/01/10/icewind-dale-2-ultimate-installation-guide/

It's a frequent problem. The same fix applies for problems in Planescape. For some reason they got rid of the DirectDraw options in those games so you have to force it yourself.

That's a fantastic party, plus for BG2EE you can drop Jan directly in where Imoen goes and it gives you the best possible party banter. As someone said above, we don't like Jan for the ~~OMG SO RANDOM~~ but because he spends 95% of the game trolling the gently caress out of everyone. He also has amazing banters with Kagain, who's the other best NPC possible. Dorn's NPC quests are loving awesome, Edwin's by far the best mage, and Viconia's Viconia. That exact party is who I'm using in my evil playthrough and it's aces. The only thing you miss out on is druid spells, but it really doesn't matter since you've got a F/M as PC who's capable of soloing all of BG2 basically, plus Dorn and Kagain.

*IWD2* I tried that, too. I tried everything I could Google. Gave up, installed XP VM, playing it there and it's fine

vvv I acknowledged it in the post directly above yours sir :colbert:

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 6, 2013

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Edwin's the best NPC in BG2 and I assume the reason no one is acknowledging this is because we all have known it to be true for years and are simply tired of saying it.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So I'm going through Ust Natha, and apparently Neera doesn't count as a mage for the bar duels, how annoying.

E: Huh, loaded my quicksave, and now she does. That was weird...

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 6, 2013

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The flippant PC dialogue in EE is great because it's exactly the sort of stuff someone would say were they aware of how ridiculous the Forgotten Realms setting is

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

The flippant PC dialogue in EE is great because it's exactly the sort of stuff someone would say were they aware of how ridiculous the Forgotten Realms setting is

Yea I think some posters have a serious nostalgia hard on, the new dialogue is no cheesier or worse than the old ones.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

mitochondritom posted:

Yea I think some posters have a serious nostalgia hard on, the new dialogue is no cheesier or worse than the old ones.

I'd never played the old ones, so all the dialogue was new to me and I couldn't begin to tell you which ones seemed out of place or "new".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Factor_VIII posted:

His constitution is great, though his strength (16) and dexterity (12) aren't that great. I guess you could slap the gauntlets of dexterity or strength or the belt of strength from the enhanced edition to turn him into a physical stat juggernaut, though that would deny these items to other characters. He does have the advantage that he can get grandmastery though and he does level faster than rangers, paladins or multiclass PCs so he certainly has advantages.
This was exactly what I did. He was the only tank, everyone else had ranged weapons so it worked well