Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

morallyobjected posted:

I love the setting of it, too. I hope they do something else with a future-tech military theme. I guess that's what XV is supposed to be like, a little bit? but all the music in VIII just contributed so well to the parts of the game that were done right, like the invasion of Dollet.

Wasn't that sort of the setting for Final Fantasy Type-0 (not that we'll ever see it in the West)? I got the impression that revolved around some sort of teenage military academy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

Wasn't that sort of the setting for Final Fantasy Type-0 (not that we'll ever see it in the West)? I got the impression that revolved around some sort of teenage military academy.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/final-fantasy-type-0-romhacking.340183/page-87

It's been in the works for a year now, and they estimate that it will take around three more months to complete the fan translation, although I imagine that they'll do some extensive testing before releasing it publicly. Thankfully, unlike Mother 3, the game doesn't seem to break after having anything changed, and the actual programming has been pretty straightforward.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

George posted:

Yeah, this. Basically if you hated the junction system but loved the story you're living in a bizarro dimension, because the junction system and a lot of the music are basically the only redeemable parts of the game. If you want a Final Fantasy about love, go play FFVI (which did this with scope and subtlety). FFVIII could have been so good, but the only way to make sense of its terrible plot and characterization is to literally say it was a fever dream.

I don't know, I have always been partial to the Rinoa is Ultimecia theory.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The setting of FF8 really drew me in. It felt very much modern, whereas FF7 is more stylistically cyberpunk with fantasy elements thrown in. So, it was cool wandering around these towns that felt just a shade or two off from places that could exist in the real world (Esthar notwithstanding).

Also I was that target audience. A pissed-off 17-year-old. As were all my friends, so we thought it was all so very rad. As a promo, they released packs of real-life Triple Triad cards. We played it while skipping school.

FF8 would be a very, very difficult game to replay now.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

Mazed posted:

As a promo, they released packs of real-life Triple Triad cards. We played it while skipping school.

I would play the everloving poo poo out of a full Triple Triad TCG. I didn't know they ever released actual cards, even if just as promotional material, so that's just cool. Do you still have 'em?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Hokuto posted:

Why didn't Seifer react at all when he saw Rinoa dancing with Squall? (I imagine they probably hadn't made up that plot point when they wrote that scene)

Considering that the dance scene was blatant trailerbait, I wouldn't be surprised if they hadn't made up Seifer, period, when they storyboarded out that scene.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Happy Landfill posted:

I've actually always liked the theory that the creators were high as balls :v:

Thanks for the link. Lots of pages about FF that sometimes are funny and are the perfect time waster for a Friday afternoon at work.

Fastened Portal Bart
Dec 16, 2004
Tally ho!

Alkarl posted:

I would play the everloving poo poo out of a full Triple Triad TCG. I didn't know they ever released actual cards, even if just as promotional material, so that's just cool. Do you still have 'em?

I'm pretty sure they were only released in Japan and imported to the US. I dug mine up not too long ago only to find out they were worth some decent money - my Zell card sold for $50 alone.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

quote:

FF8

I'd actually forgotten how off-the-rails FF8 had gone until I read an LP on the archive. I remembered how breathtakingly ridiculous the end boss was (even if, on a completely aesthetic level, the design was really interesting), I remembered little things here and there, but I'd completely forgotten about Esthar, the Garden ... headmaster thing, the moombas, and a shitload of other bizarre details. The main thing I recall is maxing out the junction system, playing Triple Triad into the ground, and how absurdly easy the end fights were (all of them) if you had even one Holy in your inventory.

It really is like throwing poo poo against a wall and seeing which turd hangs on the longest. A lot of decent ideas, a shitload of wasted potential.

EDIT: Though, really, as has been stated, I could completely get that if you watched someone play it while you were tripping your rear end off on mushrooms, it'd all make complete sense.

EDIT 2: I'm not sure there was ever a time when Rinoa's concept could actually be saved. Also deleted possible spoiler.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 7, 2013

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Well, it took me like 6 weeks of reading at work, but I finally caught up. And holy crap, this is definitely in the top 2 of my favorite LPs along with leavemywife's Earthbound LP (I have a serious soft spot for Earthbound. ) I'm amazed how many things I didn't know after having played through the whole game probably 4 times with at least as many half playthroughs. The last time I played all the way through was probably late 2005. Gold Chocobo aside, I've never used a guide of any sort, so my memory/knowledge of the game isn't too great, but I'm pretty sure I never knew

Sephiroth wasn't Sephiroth
Cloud was Zack, or vice versa
Aeris had a personality - I'm a little bit into a new playthrough on the Steam rererelease, so I was starting to notice this at least
Tifa :argh:
The latest Shinra Mansion scene with Zack - I read that it existed a few years ago but never found it
The "clones" are Nibelheim's original population.
Dear God the game is so easily broken. I mean I never had a hard time with anything, excepting the first time I fought Gi Nattak, but I at least had to pay attention.
And a ton of other stuff I can't remember.

Strangely enough, somehow I did know about the extra scene in the City of the Ancients, and I managed to find Alexander by accident the first time I played and so I always brute forced my way through the Glacier until I found him again. My funniest memory of FF7 is using him on some enemy in a part that's probably coming up soon and instead of a damage pop-up, it just said "DEATH." My friend was watching me play and we.both got a pretty good laugh out of it.

Also what's this about Aeris dying? When did that happen?! :v:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

suicidesteve posted:

Also what's this about Aeris dying? When did that happen?! :v:

She just shed her earthly body and became the ForceLifestream, like all Wise Mentor characters do.

Aeris is more like Obi-Wan than most people want to admit.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Steam just randomly told me FF8 is available now. It knows what this thread is talking about.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Psion posted:

Steam just randomly told me FF8 is available now. It knows what this thread is talking about.

"We've noticed you've been discussing how terrible this game is on the internet. Would you like to purchase it now?"

Watching that promo video in Steam gave me such a hit of nostalgia. While this LP reminds me of why FF7 will always be awesome regardless of how much the EU messes it up, my memories of FF8 are of sitting with a buddy and laughing at pretty much everything. I think a full minute of laughter was spent with the whole "I... I can't" sniper bit.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Happy Landfill posted:

I've actually always liked the theory that the creators were high as balls :v:

I flipped forward a page and was reading his IX review, and have to wonder when they were written. IX probably has had the biggest change in fan opinion of any PSX game over time and it feels like it was still written while the skew was negative. I've personally always loved the game and characters and it would be interesting if someone smarter than myself could reason out why this game has gone from {hated/disappointing/forgetful} to beloved over the last 13 years; while pretty much every other Final Fantasy game (except maybe XII) hasn't really changed much.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 7, 2013

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Chuu posted:

I flipped forward a page and was reading his IX review, and have to wonder when they were written. IX probably has had the biggest change in fan opinion of any PSX game over time and it feels like it was still written while the skew was negative. I've personally always loved the game and characters and it would be interesting if someone smarter than myself could reason out why this game has gone from {hated/disappointing/forgetful} to beloved over the last 13 years; while pretty much every other Final Fantasy game (except maybe XII) hasn't really changed much.

The first of the articles were written in 2006, I believe*, and he says that he replayed VII in 2007, so IX's article must not have come out long after. The game's reception has improved over time probably because it was designed to be closer to the older titles than X would be, or VII and VIII were. Which definitely helps when a game like XIII leaves a bad taste in people's mouths, and they decide that the newer entries in the series don't come together for them the way that their predecessors had.

*: They've also gone through several revisions, as the original articles were goony as hell

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FFIX was the last hurrah for a lot of what people are nostalgic about with Final Fantasy. When it came out it was frustrating because it was appealing to a nostalgia which had no reason to be appealed to. People were still high on FF7/8 and wanted more in the vein of that instead of something which was a nostalgic throwback with a cartoony art style. The game they wanted was a realistic game in a fantasy/modern setting with even more impressive graphics and characters like Squall and Cloud. What they got was an intentional throwback to the SNES days and (especially at that time), a lot of the newer fans were those who got onboard with FF7. It was basically not the game they wanted, sort of like Wind Waker for Zelda fans.

Since then it has been around long enough and FF games have changed enough that the nostalgic throwback elements are actually working as intended instead of a frustrating impediment. It is now old enough that it can function both as a game people are nostalgic for and a game which properly appeals to nostalgia for older games. It also helps that the stylized art means it has aged the best out of the three PSX-era Final Fantasy games.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Dec 7, 2013

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

ImpAtom posted:

FFIX was the last hurrah for a lot of what people are nostalgic about with Final Fantasy. When it came out it was frustrating because it was appealing to a nostalgia which had no reason to be appealed to. People were still high on FF7/8 and wanted more in the vein of that instead of something which was a nostalgic throwback with a cartoony art style. The game they wanted was a realistic game in a fantasy/modern setting with even more impressive graphics and characters like Squall and Cloud. What they got was an intentional throwback to the SNES days and (especially at that time), a lot of the newer fans were those who got onboard with FF7. It was basically not the game they wanted, sort of like Wind Waker for Zelda fans.

Since then it has been around long enough and FF games have changed enough that the nostalgic throwback elements are actually working as intended instead of a frustrating impediment. It is now old enough that it can function both as a game people are nostalgic for and a game which properly appeals to nostalgia for older games. It also helps that the stylized art means it has aged the best out of the three PSX-era Final Fantasy games.

This perfectly sums up how I feel about it, drat.

I like it now, but my initial reaction was... well, I guess I was hoping for - or expecting anyway - something like a continuation of what 7 and 8 did. I didn't get that, and it threw me off, but I've really grown to like the game now. I still like others in the series more, but this really isn't bad at all. It really helped once I realized what they were going for with the game.

It is totally and completely a call back to the FF4/6 days, yeah. I keep thinking that this might be what FF4 would've been like, had FF4 been made in the PS1 generation.

I was completely undecided on Zidane until his reactions before/during/right after the marriage to Dagger. I like him now, he's an okay guy. :v: I'm curious to see where that goes, I got to that point and realized "whoops, it's 2 AM on a work night" and stopped.

Just curious - roughly how much more of the game is there? I've been trying to do everything I can, explore a bit, and get all the blue magic I can, so I plan to keep doing that... is this like 7, where there's a lot of optional side stuff, like optional bosses, etc?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Code Jockey posted:

This perfectly sums up how I feel about it, drat.

I like it now, but my initial reaction was... well, I guess I was hoping for - or expecting anyway - something like a continuation of what 7 and 8 did. I didn't get that, and it threw me off, but I've really grown to like the game now. I still like others in the series more, but this really isn't bad at all. It really helped once I realized what they were going for with the game.

It is totally and completely a call back to the FF4/6 days, yeah. I keep thinking that this might be what FF4 would've been like, had FF4 been made in the PS1 generation.

I was completely undecided on Zidane until his reactions before/during/right after the marriage to Dagger. I like him now, he's an okay guy. :v: I'm curious to see where that goes, I got to that point and realized "whoops, it's 2 AM on a work night" and stopped.

Just curious - roughly how much more of the game is there? I've been trying to do everything I can, explore a bit, and get all the blue magic I can, so I plan to keep doing that... is this like 7, where there's a lot of optional side stuff, like optional bosses, etc?

You have a bunch left to go--you're maybe close to halfway at that point, with even more time if you're gonna do all the side quests and stuff.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Whenever I look back on FF9, I think about peaceful romps around huge cities. The game did such a preposterously good job with the little details of city life, and every location felt real and full-size. It's a shame the plot kind of falls apart at the end, but it was obviously not going to amount to much and it's frankly a wonder it managed to be compelling for as long as it did.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."
I thought I'd pick it up and throw myself into it again. I was fond of it when it was first released years ago, then more and more over the years just saw how awful a lot of it really is. I got it on PC on release, and it was such a lazy port it didn't even have a quit button.

The Steam one has a magic booster, just throws all your characters 100 of a set bunch of Magic, which takes the tedium out of drawing, at least for the start. I guess I'm doing it to remind me how terrible the game is, but more so to remind myself that along the way, there are some redeeming bits.

[edit] with the magic booster taking the tedius poo poo out of drawing early on, you can easily level up the GFs abilities to get the magic refining abilities, so you shouldn't even need to draw stuff later on... I hope. Apart from GFs, yes.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

An Old Boot posted:

I'd actually forgotten how off-the-rails FF8 had gone until I read an LP on the archive. I remembered how breathtakingly ridiculous the end boss was (even if, on a completely aesthetic level, the design was really interesting), I remembered little things here and there, but I'd completely forgotten about Esthar, the Garden ... headmaster thing, the moombas, and a shitload of other bizarre details. The main thing I recall is maxing out the junction system, playing Triple Triad into the ground, and how absurdly easy the end fights were (all of them) if you had even one Holy in your inventory.

It really is like throwing poo poo against a wall and seeing which turd hangs on the longest. A lot of decent ideas, a shitload of wasted potential.

EDIT: Though, really, as has been stated, I could completely get that if you watched someone play it while you were tripping your rear end off on mushrooms, it'd all make complete sense.

EDIT 2: I'm not sure there was ever a time when Rinoa's concept could actually be saved. Also deleted possible spoiler.

Speaking of FF8, the PC rerelease came out on Steam, if you feel the itch to buy it. It still has the DRM and MIDI things though...up to you if you want it.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Silegna posted:

Speaking of FF8, the PC rerelease came out on Steam, if you feel the itch to buy it. It still has the DRM and MIDI things though...up to you if you want it.

They seriously went ahead with the MIDI sound after they backpedalled on that exact thing with FFVII? Are these idiots even sentient?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Please don't support those garbage releases

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Enallyniv posted:

They seriously went ahead with the MIDI sound after they backpedalled on that exact thing with FFVII? Are these idiots even sentient?

I would pay more money than I spend on their games to see their corporate dynamics behind decisions like this. I mean I'm assuming they'll patch VIII too, but how does such marketing wisdom as "first impressions matter" elude them?

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

victrix posted:

Please don't support those garbage releases

The FFVII one is perfectly passable now. I've been playing it since it was reduced to peanuts on the Steam sale and it's honestly a totally respectable port now it's got the music fixed and local saves available.

I'm gutted about the FFVIII music fuckup, though. I was kinda feeling like playing VIII after VII but knowing the music won't be right has actually killed the deal for me. :(

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
How have these people not realized that the music for these games are kind of a big loving deal?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Did the original PC CD versions have the MIDI music? I played those ages ago and they seemed fine.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Sindai posted:

Did the original PC CD versions have the MIDI music? I played those ages ago and they seemed fine.

yeah, on 7 the track I remember the most was the boss theme losing the guitar riff

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
I assume you didn't play the Playstation versions then... Either that or you had the one model of sound card that had the right voices to handle the in game music. This video compares the two pretty well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oo3MTfBHC8.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

hectorgrey posted:

Either that or you had the one model of sound card that had the right voices to handle the in game music.

I did, and it was glorious. FFVII was my first PC game, and I will not listen to any criticism of the version.

I also played on the default button config, ie. numpad.

I bought the PC rerelease right when it came out, and I also have a PSX version for some reason. I really don't know why I even got that one.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."
When I had FF7 on PC, the MIDI came through pretty decent, but I didn't play/hear the PSX version until years later, and it is vastly superior. Hearing the music on PC FF8 again, the MIDI is really jarring.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

hectorgrey posted:

I assume you didn't play the Playstation versions then... Either that or you had the one model of sound card that had the right voices to handle the in game music. This video compares the two pretty well:
FF7 came with some software midi synth. That helped a lot, even with other .MID-playing games.

Edit: The original PC-release, back in the 90s. I can't say anything about the re-release.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 7, 2013

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Did the Steam version of FFVIII at least fix the horrid control scheme? I vaguely remember the PC version having some bizarre layout that was crazy counterintuitive, uncomfortable, and couldn't be remapped. It especially sucked as I loved the numpad layout for PC FFVII.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Thaddius the Large posted:

Did the Steam version of FFVIII at least fix the horrid control scheme? I vaguely remember the PC version having some bizarre layout that was crazy counterintuitive, uncomfortable, and couldn't be remapped. It especially sucked as I loved the numpad layout for PC FFVII.

Well, you can use a 360 Controller with it now. The control mapping is still horrid though for Keyboard users. That, and they don't count the triggers as keybindable, and the run by default is pressing down on both Analog Sticks on the controller at the same time. So no, they didn't fix it much aside from having controller support.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Silegna posted:

the run by default is pressing down on both Analog Sticks on the controller at the same time

This sounds horrible and I hope whoever thought of it was shot.

Though couldn't you set the controls to have your character run by default anyway? I don't think there was ever a reason to walk in that game.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

morallyobjected posted:

Though couldn't you set the controls to have your character run by default anyway? I don't think there was ever a reason to walk in that game.
Of course there was a reason. To see the pretty scenery!

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

morallyobjected posted:

I think I need to reiterate. To run from BATTLE. Run is auto in FF8 with Analog.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

morallyobjected posted:

Actually, there is a bridge in the final area which is unstable and requires you to walk or... get into a battle, maybe? It may just straight up collapse? I can't remember.

I think this is the only time in the game.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

With the fixed music, the steam release of FF7 is fine. I still wouldn't pay full price for it though - wait for a sale. In the event they fix the music in 8, the same caveat would probably apply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Schwartzcough posted:

Wasn't that sort of the setting for Final Fantasy Type-0 (not that we'll ever see it in the West)?

No! Don't say that!

...Don't say that :ohdear:

• Locked thread