Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Network Pesci posted:

Are you sure there's nothing left to fight? A couple of times I've killed what I thought was the last enemy, only to see the battle not end, because they had a single group of Talons or something parked on a nav point off in some corner of the map. It's almost like the computer is deliberately dragging out the battle to frustrate you, but you can handle it by grabbing every point on the battlefield, this will force them to come to you.
I imagine that's it. Now i'm just trying to stop the game from punching me in the dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Here's a little BRDY update:

All of these ships are either new or have changed. Some changed fundamentally, others subtly, both in terms of gameplay, balance and the sprites. I think Cetonia/Typheus fans (if there are any) will appreciate the considerable makeover those ships have gotten.

IMAGINOS

REVENANT

BULWARK DRONE

CONVERGENCE

CETONIA

TYPHEUS

SCARAB

DESDINOVA

NEVERMORE

In addition to that, we have some new/changed weapons.

SHARD GUN
- A smaller version of the Shard Cannon that fires continously with low range. You've seen it on the Sentinel Drone, but now it can be mounted on anything.
MICRO ARGUS
- 5OP Argus Beam with long recharge time.
VOIDSPEAR SRM/POD
- A plasma missile that needs to be charged before firing, building flux. Short range, powerful engine, deals energy damage. A very flexible missile.
LINEAR PULSE GUN
- Changed to simply be a low range high ROF energy weapon. Brutal at close range, insane flux demands.
QUILL ROCKET LAUNCHER
- More ammo, rockets accelerate slower, lower damage. More of a suppression weapon now.

Some misc *** I did yesterday:
- The Karkinos' inner medium mounts are now universals
- The campaign now uses a completely random variant selector thanks to Uomoz
- Changed campaign faction color
- Added lots of codex lore especially for Karkinos havers
- All the *** I'm forgetting to list here
- Get hype.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
I really like the touched up/modified sprites.
The ships look a bit more fleshed, especially the Revenant. :gizz:

Any ETA on release?

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Can do. :dance:

It makes me happy to see you fleshing out the ships that I've never really liked playing much, like the Revenant and Cetonia/Typheus, in addition to the ships that I already fly all the time. Gives me more fun options, makes me more willing to step outside my comfort zone.

Almost everything you post looks fun as hell.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Are the plasma torps going to be ammo limited, since they require flux/charging? I always tend to ignore most missile mounts because I never feel like you really get enough bang for the OP due to how limited ammo for missiles tends to be, even with extended missile racks.

On the other hand, when you edit the expanded missile racks mod to multiply missile ammo by 10, then things get very fun(ny) :haw: (Or, well, really just silly, but still fun for a bit.)

Also your sprites are so damned fantastic.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
Nice updates, BRDY fighters are expensive but I like to field a swarm of them with Revenant. I haven't tried mucking about with the game code but I was wondering just how flexible is the weapon system. Specifically, are bomb pumped lasermissiles possible?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I know you can have missiles that fire, then (do other things) where (other things) is most often split in to a swarm of MIRVs currently. Whether that's flexible enough to allow a missile to fire and then change in to a beam weapon? No idea. If you're good with Java, you could almost certainly do it, I try and avoid java when possible though.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

I know you can have missiles that fire, then (do other things) where (other things) is most often split in to a swarm of MIRVs currently. Whether that's flexible enough to allow a missile to fire and then change in to a beam weapon? No idea. If you're good with Java, you could almost certainly do it, I try and avoid java when possible though.
At least as of 0.54a this was impossible and would crash the game.

I don't think it's possible yet in 0.6a but Alex mentioned at one point he'd consider adding that functionality.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Would someone mind explaining how carriers work? Do they just spawn new fighters if your old ones get blowed up?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
When your fighter wings are damaged/have multiple ships destroyed they'll return to the carrier then re-launch at full strength. They used to be able to do this forever (Or at least as long as you had supplies, each replacement fighter consumed a number of supplies), now each wing just has a certain number of replacements available.

Torpedo bombers will return to re-arm, as well.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Would someone mind explaining how carriers work? Do they just spawn new fighters if your old ones get blowed up?

Yes, after a time delay (build time) they will spawn on the carrier as long as you have hulls to spare. However, the carrier can only "build" one ship at a time per available flight deck. Which is why multiple flight decks are attractive if you have a very fighter heavy fleet.

Also, I really love your selection of ships Shaolin, they all seem to fill a specific role, and they all look great too. So good in fact, that I will probably steal some aspects of your artstyle for my own stuff :3:

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Thanks, guys.

Gwaihir posted:

Are the plasma torps going to be ammo limited, since they require flux/charging?

Same as any other missile. The flux is an intentional drawback because Energy damage is really good.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Your spritework continues to amaze, those ships look great. :allears:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I'm kinda geeking out over these. Do you know how soon Uumoz would update Journey after your next version since it's such a major update?

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Uomoz is working on his thing as always. I've sent him my dev version so he's pretty much already implemented it. I think he's implementing Exigency Inc as well. :awesome:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Uomoz is working on his thing as always. I've sent him my dev version so he's pretty much already implemented it. I think he's implementing Exigency Inc as well. :awesome:

Holy poo poo :gizz: I hope this comes out after my finals or I'm hosed. :ohdear:

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Not played this in a long while, at least several major patches, using Uomoz Journey mod.

Started a new game....are you supposed to start with an absolutely massive fleet? I seem to remember having to start with one ship in the past and working my way up, whereas this has just tossed me a few Battlecruisers and a whole host of smaller ships.

I don't really want to start out like that, sure I could sell it all, but I have no idea what amount of credits I should be starting with?

When it asks you all those questions before the game starts about your background is there a route you can take that will start me with one ship, so I can work up from there and get used to all the new mechanics, and find out for myself what ships do what?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tindahbawx posted:

Not played this in a long while, at least several major patches, using Uomoz Journey mod.

Started a new game....are you supposed to start with an absolutely massive fleet? I seem to remember having to start with one ship in the past and working my way up, whereas this has just tossed me a few Battlecruisers and a whole host of smaller ships.

I don't really want to start out like that, sure I could sell it all, but I have no idea what amount of credits I should be starting with?

When it asks you all those questions before the game starts about your background is there a route you can take that will start me with one ship, so I can work up from there and get used to all the new mechanics, and find out for myself what ships do what?

Uomoz starts you with two frigates, not a fleet. Are you sure you're not using Exerelin? Because your start with big ships is only to take over your first station there, you get booted to one frigate in about five minutes. It is a massive overhaul that changes a ton

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Tindahbawx posted:

Turn dev mode off before you play.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I don't suppose you'll be putting up another one of those videos showing off your WIP? I loved the last one and look forward to seeing what these other new ships can do.

I guess the Robberfly was already obscenely overpowered and that's why it was overlooked with these changes.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Turn dev mode off before you play.

That done the trick! Is there any way of getting the zoom level back without the rest of the changes?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Uomoz's Sector just got updated, it sounds like a big badass one too.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Gobblecoque posted:

Uomoz's Sector just got updated, it sounds like a big badass one too.

Just installed this. How do I survive early on, since I can't just snack on Buffalo any more? I suppose I have to join a faction?

E: Got wiped out, this time in the beginning I drifted into good ol' Corvus instead of Anur, somehow much more comfortable here.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 8, 2013

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I'm kinda scraping by hanging out in Gneiss and flinging myself into plunder fleets the defense ships gently caress up, but I'm having some difficulty breaking out of that tier. The crafting system is nice but the massive reduction in supplies you get really hurts. Still having a blast though.

Also, I listened to the sounds in the Void folder

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
While you don't get anything more than a token amount of salvage supplies, fuel, and credits, you do get electronics salvage which is worth shittons of credits, so sell that stuff off and use the proceeds to get more supplies/fuel/weapons/ships. :eng101:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

While you don't get anything more than a token amount of salvage supplies, fuel, and credits, you do get electronics salvage which is worth shittons of credits, so sell that stuff off and use the proceeds to get more supplies/fuel/weapons/ships. :eng101:

Yeah I do like that you loot a bunch of weightless goodies when you destroy ships. An expanded loot system adds some nice depth, in vanilla I was at the point where I was basically just destroying one fleet, overfilling my cargo holds to haul all the guns back to a friendly station and sell em off. Since your main income source doesn't take cargo space it frees you up to carry more supplies to lengthen your trips out into space or maybe carry alternate weapons for a ship. I noticed that electronics sold for 100 at one station and 80 at another, which is awesome. A little hint of economy adds even more depth. If, say, it's easier to fight a bunch in one system and stockpile electronics until you have enough to make a freighter run and sell them in system b for a nice profit, that'd be cool as hell. Although whats the point of a cargo haul when electronics are weightless commodities? :v:

Though for a run like that to work I think the supply drop rate does need to be increased, or maybe ships should use a little fewer supplies. Maybe decrease the cost of raising CR? As it stands the loot from any given battle doesn't come close to even replenishing the CR used. I understand the strategic angle to pick and choose my fights but sometimes I just want to set sail and pillage :black101:

Being able to craft ship hulls is an awesome idea. So far I've only looted a single blueprint, which I think came from a boarding attempt. Using some specific flavor loot to build them is nice, requires a bit of hunting sometimes to find what you need, like the Kadur unique armor. It would be nice if I could also buy both of these instead of just looting them, as blueprints specifically feel very rare. I would also like the ability to build weapons. Are fighter wings craftable? If a boarding attempt is the only way to loot a blueprint then I don't think you can possibly get a fighter blueprint.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Blueprints just randomly drop after combat. You can also trade them or sell them to factions for credits. Another thing about USS that owns is that you can be your own faction in hyperspace and convert weapons and crafting loot into supplies and fuel and decide which ships your faction fleets spawn. And the extra vanilla variants.

Psycho Landlord posted:

I'm kinda scraping by hanging out in Gneiss and flinging myself into plunder fleets the defense ships gently caress up, but I'm having some difficulty breaking out of that tier. The crafting system is nice but the massive reduction in supplies you get really hurts. Still having a blast though.

Also, I listened to the sounds in the Void folder

Hahaha poo poo, that wasn't supposed to be there.

I'll update BRDY standalone later today and write the changelog, but yeah, this version of USS has the new Blackrock content in it.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Dec 8, 2013

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Just from the 30 minutes or so of playing I've put in, you can build fighters and you don't need to board to get new blueprints. Also I want to get rid of 90% of these variants and all of the remodeled vanilla ships, like the Striker, I've run into have been flat out worse then the vanilla counterpart.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Yeah the TuP ships are fairly outdated, especially their burn levels. I'd stay away from them for now.

How's the new faction color for Blackrock? Easy enough to tell apart?

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

New Blackrock release!
Head to the OP of my Fractalsw thread to look at the new sprites etc

Big thanks to Trylobot for all the java assistance/work he's put into the content in this release.

Blackrock Drive Yards Changelog - Mod Version 0.5

General:
NEW CONTENT
New ship - Imaginos-class Dimensional Frigate
A frigate with a Scalar Deracinator, nuff said
New ship - Convergence-class Support Cruiser
A venture-esque cruiser with two flight decks
New ship - Asura-class Monitor
A phase ship on the interim between destroyer and cruiser, features the Flux Ejector system for high-pressure combat
New ship system - Bulwark drone
New ship system - Flux Ejector
New ship system - Scalar Deracinator (small)
New weapon - Shard Gun
New weapon - Micro Argus
New weapon - Voidspear SRM
New weapon - Ironweaver
Revenant, Typheus, Cetonia and Stenos redesigns
Campaign now uses a completely random Variant selector - each ship spawned can be any stock variant
New mission: BRDY Big Battle - a huge fight vs a vanilla fleet. Features absolutely all BRDY content in one mission.
Redesigned Kurmaraja Interdiction Array - now slows ships and completely stops ballistic projectiles and missiles. AI now activates the system as appropriate.
Added a bunch of variants
REDESIGNED CONTENT
Updated all ship sprites with custom turret mounts and misc adjustments
Changed a huge bunch of sound effects and added new ones
Changed all variants
Rebalanced all ships/weapons to varying degrees
Changed Cetonia and Typheus sprite/loadout
Added aux engines to Krait fighter for burst jetting
Changed Nevermore rear turret to 360 and moved to middle of ship
Added more turret mounts to Gonodactylus
Stenos redesign
Changed middle medium mounts on Karkinos to be medium universals
Changed faction color
Renamed Antiplasma Blaster to Scalaron Blaster
Added a bunch of Codex lore and simplified descriptions to focus more on gameplay
Added particle effect to AM Lance chargeup
Added particle effect to AM Lance explosion
Changed Linear Pulse Gun sprite, effect and stats
Changed Fury-class torpedo to deal Energy damage and require flux to fire
Plasma missiles (Fury and Voidspear) have a custom explosion effect and sound
MISC/FIXES:
Fixed Exerelin integration
Fixed Sentinel Drone behavior

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 8, 2013

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

:fap:

This is amazing; great work! Are you still planning on adding some faction themed music for Blackrock? The one track from your earlier youtube video fit perfectly with the mod.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Thanks :3: I am, it's just sort of on the backburner. Also the core game's music implementation is really lacklustre at the moment. For instance, you can't attach a certain music loop to a certain star system yet.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Where can I find that abandoned base in the Corvus mod? Am I looking at it and just not realizing?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I spent a few hours last night playing Uomoz's and holy crap it's drat good. I wasn't expecting the Voidwalker thing to be so smoothly implemented, but there it is. One of the blueprints I got early on was for the Blackrock's Robberfly corvette. I never really used it before, but now since I had to make do I tried out some of my salvaged weapons on it. I found out that a light needler turns it into the kickass frigate. I had two variants, one with needler, voidspear missiles, and a sunjet; and another with a needler and antimatter blaster. Not only are they amazing in the hands of the player, the AI is actually using them to great effect as well. I think I might have just found my new favorite ship.

Tindahbawx posted:

Where can I find that abandoned base in the Corvus mod? Am I looking at it and just not realizing?

It's in the hyperspace map, just look at the map for a space station icon.

Edit: drat the AI is dumb at times in this game. I was just finishing off a Pirate plunder fleet and one of its ships was an unequipped Renegade-class battlecruiser. My two AI-piloted ships, a Robberfly and Lasher, loving hug the ship when it blows up and so they melt alongside it. :suicide:

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 8, 2013

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes

Thanks :3: I am, it's just sort of on the backburner. Also the core game's music implementation is really lacklustre at the moment. For instance, you can't attach a certain music loop to a certain star system yet.

Your post got me curious: on average, how much does a flight deck cost in "OP" for a ship? Obviously it's not physical Ordinance Points that it costs, but there's gotta be some calculation to either reduce mounts on a ship or increase cost, so how do you balance that?

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Hmm.. I guess it's just a matter of common sense. A carrier should generally be slower than any frigate and a lot of destroyers to ensure it can't kite things forever, due to the fact the AI attempts to distance itself from combat if the ship has the carrier AI hint. It should also be weaker than a purely combat-oriented craft that lacks a flight deck. How you accomplish that is down to the design, but you can mostly do it by the numbers if you so please.

One of the reasons why the Gemini is a disproportionally good carrier at the moment is because its PD drones tie up enemy frigates forever, making it a huge opportunity cost to try to kill it unless it's the only ship on the map, and because a frigate is actively wasting time if it's fighting something and not really hurting it.

Gobblecoque posted:

I think I might have just found my new favorite ship.

I'm glad to see some love for the humble Robberfly.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
Is boarding still kinda silly from crews self-destructing or whatever and taking out your marines?

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Is there any way of gaining access to other factions stations beyond quitting your current faction, and then join up at the station you want to dock at?

I'm almost sure I used to be able to do this.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Tindahbawx posted:

Is there any way of gaining access to other factions stations beyond quitting your current faction, and then join up at the station you want to dock at?

I'm almost sure I used to be able to do this.

No, but you can get access to other factions' stuff through blueprints, salvage, and independent stations.

Edit: :stare: Holy poo poo, the Exigency are insane. They spew hundreds of tiny missiles that travel in erratic patterns, have perfect tracking, and are faster than any ship. They don't have shields, but instead have some repulsor field that seems to sometimes bounce projectiles away from the ship. Basically, it seems you have tailor your ship loadout specifically towards fighting them or else you get completely wrecked. Lots and lots of PD and long range beam weapons seem to be the best bet against them. I've found that the BRDY Sunjets with enhanced optics and integrated targeting units do well against them. Lashers with expanded missile racks and BRDY Voidspear SRMs (harpoons and the like would probably also work) appear to be able to take out one of their destroyers with a full barrage.

Also, my precious Robberfly's are all but useless against them. :(

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Yeah they're hilarious to play against. Really fresh. The frig with the beam that pushes you away tends to create some hilarious situations, like pushing a frig against a bigger ship until it just gets ground to bits by its shield.