Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lucid Dream posted:

how about this:

This makes the game look like it's about an adventurous alcoholic who just stopped giving a poo poo. I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Lucid Dream posted:

how about this:

All of these gifs are the best marketing material. You should just send a press release out just featuring these.

I can't wait to give you money.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

tehsid posted:

All of these gifs are the best marketing material. You should just send a press release out just featuring these.

I can't wait to give you money.

Seconding this. I can't wait to annoy everyone by telling them I totally 'know' the guy who made this famous game.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Gaspy Conana posted:

Seconding this. I can't wait to annoy everyone by telling them I totally 'know' the guy who made this famous game.

Plot twist: It's you.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Nition posted:

Plot twist: It's you.
Double twist: Nope its you.

I'll probably do marketing crap when we get ready to do Early Access, but I want to start doing some testing soon so I'll probably make a thread then.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Lucid Dream posted:

how about this:
Your game is too beautiful for words.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Did his head detach or just explode? Because if it's the former I feel like that gif should go on for JUST long enough to see it land.

Unrelated: Why did his head explode? :psyboom:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Looks like he ran into a bird mid-flight. Either that or that explosive potion is nitroglycerin and he drank some earlier.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Looks like he ran into a bird mid-flight. Either that or that explosive potion is nitroglycerin and he drank some earlier.

Yeah, he throws one bottle and poo poo blows up. Then he jumps off a cliff and drinks the same stuff midair, causing his head to detonate.

Which is loving hilarious, but it should probably detonate his torso as well. :colbert:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Did his head detach or just explode? Because if it's the former I feel like that gif should go on for JUST long enough to see it land.

Whaaa- The gif always glitches up for me just as he's about to jump off the platform. :smith:

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
It actually looks to me like he's throwing it mid-fall, and it's colliding with his head, which gets destroyed like the terrain.

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!
Multimedia Fusion 2 is the Humble Bundle Weekly sale if anyone wants some awesome cheap software for game dev. It's especially good for rapid prototyping and game jams. https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

xzzy posted:

Yeah, he throws one bottle and poo poo blows up. Then he jumps off a cliff and drinks the same stuff midair, causing his head to detonate.

Which is loving hilarious, but it should probably detonate his torso as well. :colbert:

I thought the potion was one that exploded into a bird. Like, it creates a bird. When he drank it, it exploded his head, and also created a bird as usual.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

RhysD posted:

Multimedia Fusion 2 is the Humble Bundle Weekly sale if anyone wants some awesome cheap software for game dev. It's especially good for rapid prototyping and game jams. https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly
Also, the newest, slightly renamed version (Clickteam Fusion 2.5) is out on Steam for $100. There's an upgrade price through Clickteam, but Humble Bundle versions are naturally ineligible.

Zvezda
Dec 12, 2009
Lucid Dream you are a true genius.

On my uni course I'm finally working on games which get finished and it's amazing. Here's a video of the little game we made in 8 days: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QhPNELXOEQ

Now we're just wrapping up a 1 month iPad game project. There's nothing like a looming deadline to get things done! I've not done much animating before but I've been having a blast drawing a cute kid and horrific monsters for 3 weeks. For example:

I'll try and get a gameplay vid soon.

I can't overstate just how excited I am to be able to make something and have it go into a game that people can play. It'll be on the app store for everyone to judge in a couple of months :v:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Zvezda posted:

I can't overstate just how excited I am to be able to make something and have it go into a game that people can play. It'll be on the app store for everyone to judge not see because it'll be buried under a mountain of shovelware in a couple of months :v:

Sorry buddy. :shrug:

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

This is awesomely creepy.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

RhysD posted:

I can vouch for this software! I've been using it (if you count its ancestors) since I was like 12 or 13 years old. Definitely a good way to pump out quick playable things. Also really good if you use pixel art.

Morham
Jun 4, 2007
So I started work on a small RPG type thing in Flash, it is a bit buggy but I was proud I actually got some of this stuff working. So proud in fact I made a quick video of it...compared to you guys its terrible but since I have no background in programming/games it was a mammoth step for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBim0_qfggU

Not too exciting to watch unless you are me :D

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Has anyone tried doing something that requires two keyboards? I'm been thinking of putting together an Icarus Proudbottom Teaches Typing arcade cabinet, where two players go head-to-head, but getting two keyboards recognized independently seems like a pretty big roadblock. The only idea I have so far, which came to me while showering, is to have one keyboard permanently on caps lock and the other not, and then physically removing/hiding the capslock key and shift key for both keyboards, so that one keyboard would only input uppercase and the other would input lowercase. And if that sounds like a horrible, hacky solution to you, then you should see my code.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Polo-Rican posted:

Has anyone tried doing something that requires two keyboards? I'm been thinking of putting together an Icarus Proudbottom Teaches Typing arcade cabinet, where two players go head-to-head, but getting two keyboards recognized independently seems like a pretty big roadblock. The only idea I have so far, which came to me while showering, is to have one keyboard permanently on caps lock and the other not, and then physically removing/hiding the capslock key and shift key for both keyboards, so that one keyboard would only input uppercase and the other would input lowercase. And if that sounds like a horrible, hacky solution to you, then you should see my code.
You could also change one of the keyboards to a different language output, assuming there's a keyboard out there that doesn't output any English letters (I'm thinking Japanese? I think their keyboards are entirely katakana characters, aren't they?).

You'd want the keyboard itself to be English, of course, you'd just change its type in windows. Though I suppose I've no idea how windows drivers handle 2 keyboards, hmmm. Anywho, assuming it worked, you'd then make a conversion matrix from katakana characters to English, via trial and error / hitting each key.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
UPDATE: If you get the Humble Bundle version of MMF2, you can get an upgrade to Fusion 2.5 for the normal upgrade price ($40). No Steam code, if that's a mood-killer.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So, I wanna make games. But I'm also incredibly bad at drawing and I don't have millions of dollars and I don't know anything about programming. But I want to! Moreso than that, I want to avoid getting stuck in the seemingly clearly abusive world of QA testing, which means I need to get into a position where I'm hireable, or at least desirably hireable.

In other words, I'd like to go back to school, to study game design. Now I've already done four years of university and have a BA, in a field that I no longer have any real desire to work in. But that also means I'm a bit hesitant, both financially and emotionally, to commit to another four year slog through schooling. At the same time, game designs schools that I've seen advertised tend to strike me as a little...suspect? Y'know, daytime TV ads and stuff like that.

So, do any of you game design goons know:

1) A good school for game design, one that preferably has job positioning programs or internship support or ties to the industry in general.

2) What the best things to study would be--basic programming? 3-D modeling? Is there a level design course? I'd preferably like to waste as little time and money as possible by focusing on skills that are both useful and that I can do...which means, no drawing.

I'm sorry if this is asked a million times, I looked at the OP but didn't see anything talking about game schools. I'd love to be an indie developer and make games in my basement alone, but frankly, I don't think I have the discipline nor the knowledge to do anything but waste even more of my time, so going to an actual school and learning the tricks and the trade appeals more to me. I appreciate any help you guys can give me!

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Don't do it. Don't go to a school and take on loads of debt for a highly specific field. You would be better off getting involve in different projects. Join a local game dev group, if you have one. Download Unity and UDK and CryEngineSDK and learn their tools and their scripting languages. Read some good books on the subject. Volunteer to work on a game mod or two, or find a game you like to play such as Civ4/5 or Skyrim and make your own mods for it.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

xgalaxy posted:

Don't do it. Don't go to a school and take on loads of debt for a highly specific field. You would be better off getting involve in different projects. Join a local game dev group, if you have one. Download Unity and UDK and CryEngineSDK and learn their tools and their scripting languages. Read some good books on the subject. Volunteer to work on a game mod or two, or find a game you like to play such as Civ4/5 or Skyrim and make your own mods for it.

But then, feasibly, does this mean that if I actually want to work with game developers, I've basically got to move to California? There are certainly not many game developers in the Midwest, and there were next to none in Arizona when I lived there too. Then again, that was three, four years ago--maybe they've spread out more?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So, I wanna make games. But I'm also incredibly bad at drawing and I don't have millions of dollars and I don't know anything about programming.

You don't need to be able to draw to make games; that's what "programmer art" (i.e. crappy placeholder art) is for. You don't need money (but you do need time). You can learn to program on your own.

For actually trying to design games (i.e. come up with rules that create interesting challenges for the player), you don't even need a computer. Design board games; all you need is some paper and maybe $15 worth of generic tokens.

But realize that designing games is not what 99% of people who "make games for a living" do.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

But realize that designing games is not what 99% of people who "make games for a living" do.

Well, what is?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
AAA development probably (pulling out of my arse here, but I think I'm right) employ most of their staff in content creation, and QA.

Honestly, learning to draw is not that impossible, if you don't hate it.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 6, 2013

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Coding, making art assets, and testing; if we're just talking about raw numbers.

I'm hardly an expert on the industry, but as far as I know, design is not something you're just hired into fresh out of school. It's like directing a film, you either start with something lower and work your way up, or make a name for yourself as an independent first.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

DStecks posted:

Coding, making art assets, and testing; if we're just talking about raw numbers.

I'm hardly an expert on the industry, but as far as I know, design is not something you're just hired into fresh out of school. It's like directing a film, you either start with something lower and work your way up, or make a name for yourself as an independent first.

Yeah, from the interviews on the Game Design Roundtable (which is a fantastic podcast, btw), the way the likes of Brian Reynolds and Julian Gollop got their breaks is by creating small cool prototypes and then getting noticed. You could get recruited as a programmer into even the likes of Firaxis, and spend many years before they let you do any design.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

DStecks posted:

Oh, well, I don't mind that. I wouldn't expect to helm a project on my own--I just want to pick up the skills that are valuable (to try and avoid QA, which again, sounds like an utterly miserable time) and get access to networks and assets that I can use to actually work in the industry.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Oh, well, I don't mind that. I wouldn't expect to helm a project on my own--I just want to pick up the skills that are valuable (to try and avoid QA, which again, sounds like an utterly miserable time) and get access to networks and assets that I can use to actually work in the industry.

Well, I do want to helm my own projects, which is why I'm going indie. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd think pretty hard about the "no school" approach. I think it's important to remember that people making games right now grew up in an era where games were a niche made by nerds, for nerds. Being self taught "I made this in my basement" style developers was the standard because there was nothing else.

There's still lots of room for that mode, the flood of projects you can find on Greenlight and Kickstarter are evidence enough of that, but it is worth noting that there's another side to the industry.. the EA's and Ubisofts. A degree may earn you 20 years of loan payments, but it might also get your name in the 20 minute credits scroll following a modern AAA title.

It really depends on what your goals are.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

QA is hell but it's also a foot in the door. Not just in the gaming industry, but all types of development. I've known several extremely skilled programmers who made a name for themselves in the QA group and got bumped up.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
I'd also agree with everyone saying that going to school for game design is a terrible mistake and would just be a massive waste of your time and money. Teach yourself what you're interested in or find single classes you can take for specifically what you want. If you go into a game design or general design program you'll likely have most professors teaching out of a textbook and having you learn from it anyway. I majored in general graphic design and ended up learning far FAR more from what I taught myself.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
I don't even know what you'd learn from a game design course. It's one of the most inexact sciences out there. :confused:

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

xzzy posted:

I'd think pretty hard about the "no school" approach. I think it's important to remember that people making games right now grew up in an era where games were a niche made by nerds, for nerds. Being self taught "I made this in my basement" style developers was the standard because there was nothing else.

There's still lots of room for that mode, the flood of projects you can find on Greenlight and Kickstarter are evidence enough of that, but it is worth noting that there's another side to the industry.. the EA's and Ubisofts. A degree may earn you 20 years of loan payments, but it might also get your name in the 20 minute credits scroll following a modern AAA title.

It really depends on what your goals are.

The thing is though you are taking on 20 years of debt for the small chance that you can get hired. It's entirely possible you go $80k in debt and never find a job before you find yourself in a situation where you have to declare bankruptcy.

And the other drop of the shoe is you are still going to have to find the motivation to make and finish your own projects so you have a portfolio you can shop around. And by the posters own admission this is their biggest issue.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Well, this is pretty enlightening. I guess I'm going to need to upgrade my computer and then start tackling programming! Game school is a waste, so I'll need something else instead.

Still, it'd be nice to have a team to work with. Or at least somebody who could tutor me. That's the nice thing about schooling, is that there's always an "expert" or mentor who can look over your shoulder and talk about what you're doing wrong.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
If you want to be an indie dev and make smaller games, there's absolutely no reason to go to school.

I don't know much about AAA development, but there seems to have been quite a shift over the past few years away from requiring uni/college. If what I've read in the Game Jobs thread is true, having certain schools on a resume can even work against you. Whatever the case, proficiency in software + being a personable dude + an impressive portfolio trumps all.

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Apple Jax posted:

I'd also agree with everyone saying that going to school for game design is a terrible mistake and would just be a massive waste of your time and money. Teach yourself what you're interested in or find single classes you can take for specifically what you want. If you go into a game design or general design program you'll likely have most professors teaching out of a textbook and having you learn from it anyway. I majored in general graphic design and ended up learning far FAR more from what I taught myself.

Well said. And think about this another way: say you go to a "game development" school and get your BA/BS in game development (or whatever they call it), and then either can't get a job with a game company, or work in games for a year and discover that it's not what you thought it was and you don't want to work there any more. Where do you go from here? Traditional industry jobs aren't likely to be interested in someone who can make games; they need web developers, systems engineers, graphic designers, etc.

On the flipside, if you get a more generic degree that can then be applied to game development (like a CompSci degree or graphic designer or even maybe an MBA), then you can still work in games, but you also can work in other industries if games don't pan out.

So at the very least, if you want to go back to school, go to a traditional school rather than a game development school.

But really I'd say try to make some games in your own time first, so you'll have some idea of what you're getting into before you dedicate a lot of time and money to the effort. Get yourself a copy of GameMaker or Macromedia Fusion (check out the Humble Sale!) or something, figure out how to make it dance, make yourself a stupid little puzzle game or platformer or whatever. It'll take a lot of work, and it'll be frustrating, but it's also pretty close to what you'd have to deal with daily in a game development job.