Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I want a train horn, but only because I like trains. My Volvo has a decently meaty horn for a car, I have no complaints there, but the idea of having a train horn on it is amusing to me none the less. I just have no idea where I would fit the thing.

Plus, being a railfan, I would not settle for one of those fake "train horn"s that they sell. I'd probably want a Nathan M3 as that's what my favorite railroad's diesel locomotives used. In order to power a real train horn I'd need a compressor like this, and it's a bit beyond my budget and my space constraints.

http://aircompressors.oasismfg.com/item/air-compressors/xd3000-extended-duty-air-compressors/item-1050

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, I clocked his plate, but it's not my place to chase something up if the guy who was hit doesn't care.

There are few things short of a negative result from a pregnancy test which cause such obvious relief to spread across someone's face as when, after they hit you, you get out, look at the damage, shrug, and wander off.

Reminds me of an incident fit for this thread...

There is a really lovely intersection near my house. It's a somewhat oblique cross intersection with buildings and bridge abutments placed so that the people on each side street can't really see people coming on the main street in at least one direction. Stop signs for both side streets, no stop signs on main street, 25 zone on the main street for just this reason.

I was pulling out of the side street. My view was blocked, so I inched out as far as I dared, looked both ways, and pulled out. Just as an 89 Grand Marquis came blasting up the main road doing at least double the limit. My first sign of danger was his tires screeching, right before he slid into/under the drivers door and front tire of my old rotbox XJ.

Completely wrecked his frontend (at least bodywork wise - it still ran fine, though it was leaking a little coolant) and bashed in my drivers door, what was left of my rocker panel, and broke the steering box mounting bolts.

After his initial "what the gently caress dude, you pulled out in front of me!" (to which I noted that he had to have been at least doubling the limit) we both were like "well I'm driving a crapcan and it sure looks like you are too... are we gonna report this?" and had just decided not to when the cops roll up. Officer takes one look at both cars, goes "anyone hurt? If neither of you want a report I am fine just leaving things as they are."

So it cost me about $7 in bolts and the other guy pretty much needed a new car if he cared about how it looked. I didn't give half a poo poo about the bodywork seeing as I'd dragged that side over a boulder the previous weekend anyways.

I am very, very cautious pulling out of that stop sign now. It's close enough to my house that I hear accidents there every month or so.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Michael Scott posted:

In many states simply displaying a firearm, especially having it in your hands around another person is a misdemeanor called "brandishing" or something, and might also be considered a threat. You're lucky he didn't call the cops, but I'm sure you know that.

example in VA, a notoriously lax state: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-282

As a side note, at least in Florida, you can be charged with brandishing even if you have what you would consider a reasonable excuse and a concealed carry permit. I was going south on US 19 in florida towards Tampa which is already a notoriously bad road to drive on due to idiots, but when you combine it with the afternoon showers making the roads all nice and greasy and having nearly been in two collisions on that road in the couple months prior, I was expecting stupid poo poo to happen at any given minute. Well, it did. As I was going through, I had someone run a red light while turning left at idiotic speeds, come across all 3 lanes of traffic, into my lane and then slam on their brakes, nearly losing control of their own car and sliding all over the place.
Now, I normally keep my temper and/or road rage in check, but today I said gently caress it, grabbed the half finished drink from my cup holder and slung it as hard as I could as I gunned into the next lane over and the nice fizzy soda splattered all over the side of their falling apart, 3 color, dented to gently caress honda shitbox. Now, apparently the tweaked out fucks in the shitbox (Their faces were covered in meth sores and the area they were coming from is an area absolutely infested with methheads/dealers/cookers) took offense to my anger over their terrible driving because and I quote "They had their baby daughter in the car and I could have gotten soda on her". Now, you'd expect this to take the form of them flipping me off and trying to drive off quickly, but no. They pull out what I could only identify as some SMG and what appeared to be a pistol with an extremely large clip. Which was enough for me to absolutely gun it towards anywhere where I could think of a police car possibly being and getting pulled for speeding just so I could have a cop there.
Unfortunately, I could find anything after about 6-7 miles of them chasing me pelting my truck with cans and bottles and waving guns at us, so I called some friends that were about 2 miles from where I was and told them we were headed there and had people with guns chasing us. They told us to head straight there, don't stop and don't let him catch me, so I gunned it down the backroad there with the tweakers in the shitbox still chasing me and still throwing poo poo out at us. And here is where it could have gone much, much worse. As we came to the major road we had to cross to get to where my friend's apartment was, the light was red and it was so full of traffic that I had to stop and the tweakers managed to get next to us again. After several tense minutes of shouting back and forth, death threats and saying of you don't have the stones to pull the trigger, the tweakers instead decided to grab my license plate number... And call the cops. (And yes, there was an infant in their car this whole time)
When I was finally contacted by the police over it, I cut the officer off, told my side of the story, accurately enough described the guns the man had been brandishing to catch him in his lie to the police that he never pulled said guns out and managed to get out of aggravated assault charges because my terrible decision had be so far blown out of the water by his terrible decisions to brandish weapons, threaten our lives (specifically, "pull a gun so I can loving waste all your asses") and chasing us several miles out of the way just to do these actions.
So yeah, I have a word of advice. Don't loving follow people, don't throw poo poo at retards that nearly cause you to rear end them, don't threaten people, don't brandish weapons and for the love of god, keep your road rage in check, because you never know if that shitbox that just did whatever to piss you off is filled with heavily armed tweakers with apparently no regard for human life.

Kill-9 posted:

Came out of Fry's after stopping to pick up a cable and found this in front of my Rangie. It was too far forward to be from my truck(for once). Looking a little closer it appears some dumbass pulled right into the front of my car and got themselves a little coolant leak for their efforts. A small ding on the upright of the brush guard and a bit of missing paint is all I got. Yea for $2K Range Rovers!

After having worked at a Fry's and having seen the idiots that shop there on the holidays and the way they tear through the parking lot, I'm amazed that's all that happened.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Doccers posted:

I couldn't even get the Jeep started this morning (battery cables need replacing), so I fired up the Volvo, and I'm damned glad I did. People actually slow down and pay attention when they get close to it for some reason.

Also the extra tire contact never hurts, didn't slide one bit even with cars in the ditch all along the commute.

I was actually a little surprised I didn't see some trucks in a ditch on my way to work. It was odd too, since half the folks couldn't keep to the cleared part of the lane and were driving on the snow when they didn't need to.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I want a train horn, but only because I like trains. My Volvo has a decently meaty horn for a car, I have no complaints there, but the idea of having a train horn on it is amusing to me none the less. I just have no idea where I would fit the thing.

Plus, being a railfan, I would not settle for one of those fake "train horn"s that they sell. I'd probably want a Nathan M3 as that's what my favorite railroad's diesel locomotives used. In order to power a real train horn I'd need a compressor like this, and it's a bit beyond my budget and my space constraints.

http://aircompressors.oasismfg.com/item/air-compressors/xd3000-extended-duty-air-compressors/item-1050

I'm glad I'm not the only one that wants a real train horn on their vehicle. All the custom horns around here are the 'ooga ooga' and Dixie type.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Brigdh posted:

I was actually a little surprised I didn't see some trucks in a ditch on my way to work. It was odd too, since half the folks couldn't keep to the cleared part of the lane and were driving on the snow when they didn't need to.

This isn't always bad. Packed snow is honest compared to black ice and slush. Its easy to establish your traction on snow and drive accordingly but the invisible stuff will gently caress up your day.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

8ender posted:

This isn't always bad. Packed snow is honest compared to black ice and slush. Its easy to establish your traction on snow and drive accordingly but the invisible stuff will gently caress up your day.

In general, maybe. We haven't been above freezing since the snow started falling, and the towns around me don't use salt so there's no slush.. I haven't seen a lick of black ice, and the snow still gets kicked up when you drive on it, so its not all that packed. Also, I imagine one side of the car on pavement and the other on snow isn't that great for traction, especially for all of those AWD vehicles that are so popular here.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Armacham posted:

I get so irrationally angry every time I see a car with blacked out tail lights.

I was looking at some LED taillight bulbs for my motorcycle on Amazon, and one of the reviews on one model was 1 star, saying "These are way too dim, I have blacked out taillights and you can't see the light, I thought they would be brighter."

How is physics worked? :downs:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

cursedshitbox posted:

Cats are oil clogged in my rover. Best solution for a tail gating prius? Drop it to 3rd on the freeway and get revs over 4500. smokes like tire fire.

I've just realised that my Vauxhall's combination of a 3.0l V6 and my driving like a little old lady creates a double exhaust that fills up with diesel particles.

And that if you floor said big engine, it has enough oomph to blow the exhaust clean in a single roar.

So, anyone tailgates me really badly, I take my feet off everything for 5 seconds, then floor it. The resultant black cloud is bigger that the smokescreen that you see in movies.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Back to rear end in a top hat driver chat.

Had a delivery to the hotel next to my restaurant tonight. We usually walk them over unless there's a bad thunderstorm.

Fairly new Jag cuts across the parking lot and nails the concrete thing in front of a parking spot, drives over that, then drives right over the sidewalk, about a foot away from me. Didn't even tap the brakes, just drove right over everything, over the grass, then pulled into a parking space.

He'll probably be wondering why his car is knocking so bad tomorrow. Maybe he might notice the trail of oil...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

I am very, very cautious pulling out of that stop sign now. It's close enough to my house that I hear accidents there every month or so.
I'm still irritated about my friend being found at fault when his nose was clipped as he crept out between a line if stationary cars. Yes, technically the other guy had right of way, but he was accelerating up the centre of the road, in the wet, toward a red light, and then freely admitted after the fact that he was going too quick for the conditions and couldn't stop.

The arrangement of the road, with a pedestrian crossing/bollard not that far behind him and the solid traffic, meant he would have either had to have been on the wrong side of the road or pulled out immediately after the bollard and properly floored it to put himself where he was.

But he was still on the major road, and so had right of way, meaning he was automatically not at fault. I'm a firm believer in the general principle that "every accident you have is your fault - you either cause it or fail to see it coming", as it keeps you in the right frame of mind, but drat do you want a "being a fuckwit" clause sometimes.

Of course, then I'd risk being hoist by my own petard, as idiot's opinions on what counts as fuckwittery may well differ from my own. Same reason I'm not always that keen on people being done for "dangerous driving" based in the opinion of the plod. Ok, fine, you think what they were doing was dangerous - explain why you are qualified to make that assessment.

Gorillian Dollars
Jan 22, 2012

We are selling to willing buyers at the current fair market price, even if we know it has no value.

some texas redneck posted:

Had a delivery to the hotel next to my restaurant tonight. We usually walk them over unless there's a bad thunderstorm.

Fairly new Jag cuts across the parking lot and nails the concrete thing in front of a parking spot, drives over that, then drives right over the sidewalk, about a foot away from me. Didn't even tap the brakes, just drove right over everything, over the grass, then pulled into a parking space.

He'll probably be wondering why his car is knocking so bad tomorrow. Maybe he might notice the trail of oil...

It'll be found burning in a deserted parking lot tommorow, joyrider maybe? Or just someone rich enough to toss it off and buy a brand new one. "The oil light came on, better buy a new car!"

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Oil trails are a fine tradition in british motoring,

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

8th-snype posted:

Oil trails are a fine tradition in british motoring,

I believe we call then 'Active Rust Protection Systems' now.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
First snow of the season, roads were pretty clear, nobody was driving like an idiot, and everyone maintained good gaps and was a bit slower. What is going on?!?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
As I'm walking my dog this morning, I notice a lady from my complex driving out of the lot at 2mph with her wipers going full tilt. We got a little snow overnight here and her windshield is covered in ice top to bottom and side to side, the ice was caked on and wipers weren't doing poo poo for her. I waved her down and offered to clean her windshield off, as my car and the ice scraper inside were literally 15 feet away.

"No thanks hun, I've got the defroster on, I can see a little bit out the bottom" *rolls window back up, creeps away in the dark*

NoWake fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 6, 2013

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Just for STR it's "icing(?)" out here in texas, and I had an interesting drive down 635 for work this evening. Guy in the left lane with his hazards on doing 30, I'm in the middle lane doing between 45 and 50, guy in the right lane is doing I would guess at least 65 probably 70. Then we hit one of the bridges. 30 MPH guy gets all over the brakes and thankfully starts to slide left. 70MPH guy in the right lane gets a pucker moment and a close look at a guard rail before getting things back under control.

At 5:30am I went for breakfast (screw everyplace being closed due to weather) and had a fun time watching "I'm front wheel drive and can mash the pedal to the floor in this poo poo" slip and slide through intersections.

Not sure I want to leave the building when my shift ends at 10am now.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

He wont notice it over the hangover.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Reminds me of the time I saw this:

Guy got out of his car, looked at the mess, got back in the car, drove away.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan
Thanks to all of the DRL chat the other day, I was paying close attention to everyone's lights during the strong rains we were getting this morning.

Every single car I encountered that didn't have its taillights on had its headlights on, so hurray for people not realizing they were invisible from behind!

Idiot driver chat:

This happened a couple of months ago, but I keep forgetting to mention it. I was driving up RT-1 into a shithole of a town we have around here called woodbridge(really, the entire RT-1 corridor is the worst kind of poo poo), and I get stopped at a red light right around the same place that the speed limit drops from 45 to 35. A f-150 pulled up behind me, and we sat there for about a minute, just waiting for the light to turn green. Suddenly! Screeching tires! Impact!

Some dumb-gently caress kid had come flying up on this line of stopped cars in his lovely little primer-black mid-90's honda civic so fast that even after slamming on the brakes he still managed to push the ford into the back of my work van hard enough to wreck the back doors/bumper/some of the stuff inside, and also completely destroy the rear axle, bed, and frame on the ford.

I ended up with a busted lip from all of the poo poo going flying inside my cab, and also a sprained back from the impact. The passenger in the f-150 had to be taken to the hospital, as did the driver of the civic. And the kicker? Cocksucker had no insurance! If he hadn't been seriously injured in the wreck, he likely would have been seriously injured immediately after the wreck when I bounced his retarded skull off his own mangled front end...but instead I'll just have to take solace in the fact that he and his family will be bankrupted by his medical bills and the lawsuits from the insurance agencies- thanks entirely to his own stupidity!

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

jamal posted:

Reminds me of the time I saw this:

Guy got out of his car, looked at the mess, got back in the car, drove away.

I managed a fleet maintenance company for a while a few years ago, and it's amazing how many people totally disregard big puddles of oil under cars...I actually had a tech change the oil on some rental car on time, and then drive off without replacing the oil filter- all five quarts of oil sprayed all over the ground at high pressure! Talk about a mess...
That was the only incident that I personally witnessed, but I had heard of many others, both from other parts of the company and from other oil change shops.

Oh, and the guy who did it was in school to become an airplane mechanic. If you don't have the attention to detail required to change oil and rotate tires, then you have no business coming anywhere near anything that flies.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
My car is pretty low and I always change the oil on the ground, so I have to reach under blindly to change the filter. One time the gasket stuck to the block and blew out immediately after starting the car. That was fun to clean up.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Last week two separate instances of cars driving along really slowly on the verge indicating right (I live in a land where cars drive on the left) So I slow down to let them on to the road, because experience has taught me that people doing this like to try to make the cars mate forcibly. Both cases the car just keeps driving along slowly while indicating to get on the road until in both cases the driver gave what I percieved to be a rather irritated "go past" gesture out the window. Goddamnit don't drive there and indicate to merge if that's not what your intent is.

Also I had a highway buttrider. I ended up slowing down to about 40km/h before they eventually went past. Don't loving tailgate me on a multi lane road! No-one else on the road either of course. They would have been sorry shortly after in the hills. The Fairlane doesn't like hills.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

BLARGHLE posted:

I managed a fleet maintenance company for a while a few years ago, and it's amazing how many people totally disregard big puddles of oil under cars...

That reminded me of when a friend changed his trucks oil a little while back. He put drained the oil, put on a new filter and proceeded to dump almost all the new oil on his driveway via the drain hole that he forgot to put the bolt back in. I couldn't stop laughing when he called me for a ride to the store so he could buy more oil.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 22, 2018

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Atticus_1354 posted:

That reminded me of when a friend changed his trucks oil a little while back. He put drained the oil, put on a new filter and proceeded to dump almost all the new oil on his driveway via the drain hole that he forgot to put the bolt back in. I couldn't stop laughing when he called me for a ride to the store so he could buy more oil.

Free oil pan flush!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Krakkles posted:

He walks back, and proceeds to tell me to "slow down" because his "precious little baby" is in the back seat of his car (he's sure to point out her head in the back window) and my "speeding" is making her unsafe. I tell him to go get back in his car, he says a couple more times "Slow down", I don't respond other than to say "Get back in your car".

I don't get this. What was his endgame here? If he goes at all physical, I push his car, with his retarded crotchspawn in it, out of my way and drive away. Oh, not to mention the 4D maglite that was already in my left hand (below the door line, I wasn't going to start anything) or the knife that was just below the shifter my right hand is resting on.

And no, before some Gibbis moron comes in here, I was not doing anything unsafe. He was weaving between lanes and failing to signal, I was obeying the speed limit and was not being anywhere near "aggressive".

Edit: Oh, the best part: Of course when the light turns green, he sits on his brakes for awhile, then sloooooowly creeps into the intersection. ... Then realizes he needs to be two lanes to the left (turning left under the freeway), cuts off both lanes without signaling, and gets me and several other cars honking. Yep. I'm the problem here.

People with children in their car are quite possibly the most self-important entitlement complexed douchebags on the road. Those baby on board signs are apparently licenses to drive with total disregard for your and everybody else's safety but in the end you get to blame it all on the uncaring rear end in a top hat who got in your way.

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN

Jonny 290 posted:

The Nissan Armada would like to have an ungainly, overcompensating word with you.

My current Kryptonite is the Acadia. You see somebody in an Acadia, you know they're late for something really important.

I just bought an Acadia, it is not a fast car.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Krakkles posted:

Edit: Oh, the best part: Of course when the light turns green, he sits on his brakes for awhile, then sloooooowly creeps into the intersection. ... Then realizes he needs to be two lanes to the left (turning left under the freeway), cuts off both lanes without signaling, and gets me and several other cars honking. Yep. I'm the problem here.

If I see a company truck from one of the mines around here with "SAFETY" on it, I hold onto my rear end because this ride is gonna be good.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

BLARGHLE posted:

Oh, and the guy who did it was in school to become an airplane mechanic. If you don't have the attention to detail required to change oil and rotate tires, then you have no business coming anywhere near anything that flies.

Or you just work for Northwest.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Fucknag posted:

Free oil pan flush!

Well the oil wasn't free. I did feel bad because he was having a bad week and had a cold too. Probably why he made such a rookie mistake.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

XCPuff posted:

I just bought an Acadia, it is not a fast car.

When did that ever stop anyone from trying? Have you seen the way moms and dads sling their minivans around town?

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

Krakkles posted:

Had another fun one on my drive home last night ...

Yay Norwalk/Downey

I don't miss driving around there at all

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

xzzy posted:

When did that ever stop anyone from trying? Have you seen the way moms and dads sling their minivans around town?

It was pretty easy to spin the tire on my company's minivan. :v:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Can I ask something that may reveal my own stupidity?

We've had a lot of rain around here and there's some minor flooding in areas. If there's a significant amount of water covering an area of the road (say, a depth of 6 inches or more. A sizeable puddle if you will), I obviously slow down to keep from hydroplaning. But when I come across a couple of inches of water, instead of slowing down I just let off the gas. The logic here being that hydroplaning is caused by tires losing traction, and they lose traction when there is power applied to them and something separates them from the road (i.e. the water). If I let off the accelerator, then power's not being applied to them, and when they encounter the water, the resulting force causes me to slow down instead of my tires and drivetrain trying to maintain speed and losing traction. Well, I hope that makes some sense, at least. I'm also not going to be doing 70mph on a flooded highway because I'm not a total moron; I just want to know if I'm being sorta intelligent or just even more dumb.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

xzzy posted:

Yeah, 10mph under the limit in the left lane, at dusk, in a dinged up champagne sienna with only the DRLs on.

Then they glare at you like you asked how much they'd sell their spawn's organs for when you take the first opportunity to pass them on the right.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

QuarkMartial posted:

Can I ask something that may reveal my own stupidity?

We've had a lot of rain around here and there's some minor flooding in areas. If there's a significant amount of water covering an area of the road (say, a depth of 6 inches or more. A sizeable puddle if you will), I obviously slow down to keep from hydroplaning. But when I come across a couple of inches of water, instead of slowing down I just let off the gas. The logic here being that hydroplaning is caused by tires losing traction, and they lose traction when there is power applied to them and something separates them from the road (i.e. the water). If I let off the accelerator, then power's not being applied to them, and when they encounter the water, the resulting force causes me to slow down instead of my tires and drivetrain trying to maintain speed and losing traction. Well, I hope that makes some sense, at least. I'm also not going to be doing 70mph on a flooded highway because I'm not a total moron; I just want to know if I'm being sorta intelligent or just even more dumb.
Not at all stupid - better to admit you don't know, ask, and be able to learn :)

Hydroplaning is caused by a surface of water building up and separating the tire from the road - basically, those channels in the tire that are supposed to move the water out from under it? At speed, they eventually reach the point where they can't move it, and the vehicle starts riding on a film of water, rather than on the road.

I'm curious what you mean by "slow down" versus "let off the gas". I would go so far as to say that letting off the gas is *always* the right response, and braking is likely not a good idea - if the car is already in a slide, and does not have ABS, you may find that your wheels are locked and you're crossed up rather quickly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

kastein posted:

Yeah, 10mph under the limit in the left lane, at dusk, in a dinged up champagne sienna with only the DRLs on.

Then they glare at you like you asked how much they'd sell their spawn's organs for when you take the first opportunity to pass them on the right.

I guess it's a different culture here in soccer mom suburbia. Because around here, as soon as that stop light turns green the pedal is flat to the floor and they are dumping every last ounce of torque that poor engine can produce into the tires.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Hydroplaning is when the tires can't displace the water fast enough so they just ride up on top of it. It's a function of speed, weight, tire width and tread design and sheer water quantity, but not throttle setting.

Once you've lost traction you may notice it more on the gas, but the gas is not the direct cause of losing traction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Krakkles posted:

I'm curious what you mean by "slow down" versus "let off the gas". I would go so far as to say that letting off the gas is *always* the right response, and braking is likely not a good idea - if the car is already in a slide, and does not have ABS, you may find that your wheels are locked and you're crossed up rather quickly.

In that sentence, "slow down" just meant "I'm not traveling as fast as I normally would". I let off the gas and coast through any big puddles figuring that I'd just get slowed down by the water instead of spinning out of control.