Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

ulmont posted:

Eh, use them all, but judiciously. Otherwise, you still have to do the following for a Baldur Blade +1:

1) Buy Inferior Ore x16
2) Buy Log x2
2) Craft Silver Ore x6
3) Craft Silver Ingot x2
4) Craft Birnewood x1
5) Craft Baldur Ore x2
6) Craft Krystallos Ore x1
7) Craft Baldur Ingot
8) Craft Baldur Blade +1

...and every single component is buyable, so this is purely a gold / time sink. Buy an expensive arcana or two and throw them away if you want to even it out, but gently caress doing all the above even if you have 100% all the way through.

I think the game has me broken because I look at when I need to crafting and think "this seems like a great time to watch something on Netflix".
Next thing I know I have way too many baldur ignots and wootz steels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
There's a weird formula behind the success rate that has to do with the base stats of your characters. Considering how esoteric it is, it feels like someone from Romancing Saga worked on the crafting system.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Sunning posted:

There's a weird formula behind the success rate that has to do with the base stats of your characters. Considering how esoteric it is, it feels like someone from Romancing Saga worked on the crafting system.

This, but for the entire damned game. As it has been mentioned, countless things in this game are only barely understood.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Sunning posted:

Too be fair to Romancing SaGa the unknowable things you'd never guess have at least been hammered out via hacking and guides. From the sounds of it LUCT is inscrutable even at the machine code level.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Omnicrom posted:

Too be fair to Romancing SaGa the unknowable things you'd never guess have at least been hammered out via hacking and guides. From the sounds of it LUCT is inscrutable even at the machine code level.

The coding is magic and to figure out formulas you need to answer questions to get the correct tarot cards to understand it.

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Update 32: Long Away

Hey, everybody. Last time we made our way through the Bahanna Highlands on our way to Brigantys Castle. While we were in the highlands we ran into Cressiada, again. Before the fight began her dead sister's fiancé Hektor came to her aid. In the end we fought and killed him in her place, as she retreated to the castle.

Brigantys Castle: Seated on the hightundra of the Brigania Flats, Brigantys Castle is snowbound throughout the year.

Now then, it looks like we finally made it to Brigantys Castle.

Brigantys West Curtain Wall: The western side of the castle, facing the Holboss. Part of the wall was damaged during the war.

To get into the castle proper we have to get past one of the walls first. As the vote decided we will be attacking from the west.

I could care less about the hierophant's honor, but you'll pay for Gildora!

It seems that are past is catching up to us, once again. Also, apparently Gildora had a thing for dudes with wings.

As you can see above the battle field is cut in two by a rather large river. It separates us (at point 1) from our target (at point 2) and his army. To make matters worse, the only suitable cross points are on the edges of the map (mark by the green arrows). So in this fight, class that can swim (such as Valkyries and Juggernauts) and aquatic monsters will be your best friend. You can also teach your units the Wade skill if you have the SP to spare. Even with the Wade skill going through the water will be a slow process because just being water cause a movement penalty. Then, once you make it to the other side you will encounter the target and the bulk of his forces at point 3. The game takes some pity on you by giving the target wings so you don't have to climb the wall to get to him.

But I'm not really in the mood to deal with all this so we're just going to stay put. You see all that flat land around point 1. Most of our units are going to spend the entire fight there. Really, they're only here because the game said we could use 12 units, so we're going to use 12 units. We will send some of our forces into the water and surrounding area to act as a forward line, but that's it.

As part of the plan two of the surviving octopi will act as meat shields.

Our long range-types will provide them some support and pick off the enemy as they approach.

Voltare moves into position to protect our right flank.

Stactipulse does the same for our left.

With that little bit of prep done all that's left to do is sit back and let the enemy come to us.

Hopefully, since Orgeau can fly this won't take too long. Hopefully.

After a few turns the interspecies fighting begins.

Our two level nine octopi are completely outmatched. Since monsters can't equip anything but accessories all their stats gains come from leveling up, so being four levels behind is just too much for them to overcome.

As this goes on Orgeau draws slightly closer.

Two of the enemy Juggernauts will be able to reach us on their next turn, so we have that to look forward to.

One of our octopi, Pelias, entertains the idea of attacking but since it can't even beat the enemy's counter damage, it just sits out this turn.

To release some of the pressure on our under leveled cephalopods Staticpulse does a little dark magic for us.

Buluru is going to swim around to attack the one awake octopus.

Yes, he is hooping in and out of the water as he moves. Why, you ask? Because video games are perfect simulations of real life.

The real reason is by jumping he can mechanically get around the in water movement penalty a little bit and move one space further.

Now that the enemy is surrounded, Pelias is feeling brave enough to attack. What's the worst that could happen.

That, I guess.

A Juggernaut and insult to injury.

Fortunately, Voltare has things covered. He's not going to let that octopi see another turn.

Even getting attack from behind isn't going to stop him.

But while his back is turned, Canopus scores the kill.

Apparently all this was enough to make Orgeau fly to the hills.

As he retreats his army still presses onward.

Just in time to watch as that octopus wakes up.

It makes a b-line for the shore and give Sara a nasty flogging. Now that it's on land it's at least going to give our melee units something to do.

But even after a solid turn of laying into it the thing won't go down.

Which is bad because on its next turn it heads back into the water and does this...

Ouch. Just another reason to hate octopus. Note: Don't hate real octopus, they're cool and clever.

While all that has happening, our octopi were moving forward into enemy territory.

They're here to try and lure out Orgeau.

Of course Orgeau wasn't the only one to take the bait.

After getting Orgeau's attention they fall back.

As Denam kills that poisonous octopi.

To our left an Archer has managed to get the drop on us.

Back were the action is Orgeau has take the bait and now he's even attacking someone we care about.

But he's not doing a good job of it.

Buluru hoops over and gets the first hit in on our target.

And he's rewarded with a greater understanding of how spears work. Not bad for someone who only picked up the weapon one update ago. Hooray for off screen grinding!

It's not all good though. As we get our first taste of why standing around and waiting for the enemy is a pretty poor strategy.

It has to do with TP. Look at the above screenshots, both Phelias and Orgeau have over 100 TP, and they're not the only ones.

Right now everyone and their brother has enough TP to use a finishing move.

Okay, that last one was one of ours, but the point still stands. Dragging a battle out for too long will only strengthen the enemy.

With the target's HP below 50% it's time for Canopus to get chatty.

Not much profit in taking orders from a dead man. Surrender!

You're a mercenary from the continent yourself, no? Surely you understand. If i were to change employers at the first sign of trouble, I'd be out of work. Trust's a stronger coin than Goth.

Now that he mentions it, are we paying Canopus? The game hasn't said either way. He is a mercenary but he joined us on his own accord.

With one last Dark Weight this one's finished.

Congratulations

Inside the Castle.

Let us see this through to its end - our end, if need be! What is our purpose if not this?

Nybeth shakes his head.

Hierophant Balbatos gone and the young lord of Coritanae in their hands, the kingdom will never again rise.

The very man who assaults this castle is their murderer! Forsaking your country is one thing, forsaking kin another! I will not... I cannot!

As stubborn as your sister...

Xeabos walks in and interjects.

Commander Ronsenbach. It is to my shame you had to witness this.

There is no shame in a daughter so devoted to her people. But, Cressida, you must leave here at once with your father.

What? How could you ask this of me? I am full ready to die here by your side, commander!

Everyone in this room knows that the situation is hopeless and anyone who stays is doomed. Cressida knows this so she also has to have realized that staying won't bring her revenge.

No!

His eminence saw in Master Nybeth's inquiries a light for Galgastan's future.

By this point her desire to stay and fight must come from some misguided notion of honor.

I do not deny the wrath directed at us by those outside our walls. But you need not bear the burden for that! Complete your research. Prove us worthy of such a boon. Bring joy to Galgastan! Your place is by your father's side, Cressida. For Hektor's sake as well as ours.

But, commander!

So in this scene you have a necromancer who wants to fight and die for some noble ideal being talk out of it by a knight who is focused on more practical and worldly objectives. Kind of a weird rule reversal.

I shall consider it my duty, above all others.

The knight's focus in this case is Nybeth mysterious research. Which must be something big if a person like Xeabos would consider it of greater importance than is fallen country.

With that Cressiada and Nybeth leave Xeabos to his fate.

For those wondering about the other path. Nothing really happens over there. The target is just some guy. I mean, we didn't even kill any of his loved one, so there's nothing interesting in the least.

Next time: We do what Xeabos has been expecting us to do.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've always taken one look at that river and said "nope," followed by a restart. I think it's another example of how the leveling system fails a bit, in my opinion, and they should have stuck with classic character leveling over class leveling. I think I spent less time training in the classic game than I have this one because of it. (It doesn't help I'm near the end of chapter 4 in my game, and just gained the plethora of unique classes and characters, all warming the bench at level 1).

Ideally, if I had to approach this level, I'd want to hop out and tame a flood dragon, and a couple decent lizard men. Even an octopus would do. Of course, in this version they'd join at level 1 and need 12 or so levels to stay competitive, it's just a pain in the rear end. You could plan ahead and keep an octopus in your battle roster every time taking up space, and maybe you luck out and use a lizard man in place of one of your humans. Even then, this doesn't really help out the next time you need to do a water level and you're underleveled again, or one where flight would be an asset, or lavawalk would help, etc. I end up just brute forcing my static party through every obstacle, even when specific monsters / classes are tailored for a specific threat.

Granted, I don't think flood dragons are readily available at this point yet, or any dragons for that matter.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose, once we find what those necromancers are trying to do, we'll finally have some freakin' motivation.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Xaebos looks so dumpy it's glorious.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Granted, I don't think flood dragons are readily available at this point yet, or any dragons for that matter.

I think you can get all the dragons right inside the phorampa? Wildwood starting in chapter 2.

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Herein I have explained the operation of the sun.

ulmont posted:

I think you can get all the dragons right inside the phorampa? Wildwood starting in chapter 2.

One of the second battles (the northern one) in the Wildwood has dragons. I think 2-5 can be encountered in that fight. If you challenge that battle right away, it's actually pretty tough since the open map allows them to swarm you easily. Some of the later fights also have dragons but that's the earliest you can find them.

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Update 33: Don't Stop Me Now

Greetings everyone and welcome back. In the last update attacked the western wall of Brigantys Castle. After a long fight we cleared a path to the castles' inner hall. Where Xaebos has been waiting for us since seeing Nybeth and Cressida off to safety. They left to carry out some mysterious research, but Cressida did leave under protest. She wanted to stay and fight.

Brigantys Castle: A spacious audience hall, as starkly furnished as any of the great castles of Valeria.

Now it's time to take the fight inside.

Okay, I get it. It's been awhile since the last update. You don't need to point it out game.

It's over, Xaebos! Throw down your weapons and surrender!

Show some respect when you speak to a high commander, boy. Defeated or not, if we're going to hell, you're coming with us!

Unlike last update's battle, this one gets off to a roaring start. We haven't had a turn yet and these golems are already staring down our throats.

This battle is also going to be a complete slugfest. So we need to get anyone who can take a punch into the thick of things as soon as possible.

Bayin and doomfunk both spend their first turn chomping down on Magic Leafs to build up a MP reserve. They will need every point because they're not going to get a turn to waste. We need them to be able to fire none stop.

Denam get's things started by chipping away at this Stone Golem.

Just a reminder, when fighting golems magic and big blunt weapons are the way to go. Bows and arrows just don't cut it.

Cyclopes are a different story. Since they're magic users anything goes.

There is either something interesting going on with this wall or that Witch's AI busted.

On his first turn, Voltare moves up to the spot indicated by the finger to protect Prowler. The Knight class leveled up at the end of the last fight and that it is level 14 they can use Rampart Aura II. This skill is going to be very important in this fight.

Xaebos waste no time and charges forward. All his talk from earlier was no joke. He done for, and all he wants now is for a few goons to join him. The more the merrier.

Staticpulse attacks the other golem.

The Cyclopes get as close as our auras will let them and attack Arycelle and Staticpulse.

Both of the golems attack the closest person (Denam and Staticpulse, respectively.)

Before being forced to retreat. Voltare and Staticpulse left them few option this round.

Voltare then moves into the hole left by the retreating golems. From here he can hold off most of the advancing army all by himself. Not bad for one guy.

It also puts the Cyclopes on the wrong side of our frontline, so taking them out is now priority one.

Even with the Voltarian Wall in place the enemy Archers are still able to hit our squishy mages.

The enemy backline is busy healing all the damage we did to the Stone Golems.

While our backline finishes off one of the Cyclopes.

Xaebos makes it to the front during his second turn. While he's here he takes the time to push Voltare around a little bit.

For Denam's his second turn it would be tempting to move him up into the spot Voltare was knockout off, but in the long term it's not a good idea. From there he could only attack Xaebos or a golem and with those Cleric still in the fight all that would do is give them more TP.

Plus, there is still a Cyclops to deal with.

The enemy Terror Knights enter the fray. With one attacking Staticpulse.

And the other attacking Voltare. In between their attacks we managed to kill the other Cyclops.

Staticpulse is taking a pounding. In frustration he lashes out with his great sword.

It wasn't the smartest move.

Arycelle tries to help out, but her shot ends up knocking back her target. Leaving Staticpulse open to another attack.

With a golem getting the next turn, doomfunk does whatever he can to try and keep it from killing Staticpulse. He succeeds in weakening it, but with this games mechanics who knows if that will help.

In the end, Staticpulse does survive the golem's attack, but with only 8 HP to spare.

After attacking the golem activates Gordian Lock. This is a skill in the same vain as Phalanx. With an additional benefit of adding damage taken to TP on top of the damage reduction. Getting rid of a Stone Golem with this skill activated is an almost impossible task. Even the good ol' Alexandrian method of just cutting the drat thing with a sword doesn't really work.

But we have more pressing issue to deal with. We have to heal Staticpulse before the Wizard gets its turn and finishes him off. The other golem is no threat since Voltare's aura is blocking the path.

With Voltare and Staticpulse on almost even footing HP wise, the Wizard decides to go after Voltare.

Then, Voltare falls back to reposition his aura.

Even with is low HP, Phalanx will be more than enough to keep him safe as we focus our attention elsewhere.

Here's an overhead look at the frontline. The red squares represent Voltare's aura and the blue squares are from Staticpulse. Between the two of them, they have the enemy locked down. The only problem area is that one Terror Knight who is a little too close to Prowler, but we can't play it completely safe. We need him where the action is.

Buluru gets Staticpulse back into fighting shape.

Since we won't be able it kill either of the two golems or Xaebos in the near future we will have to settle for debilitating them with status effects. The Duststorm did hit both of the golems but it missed Xaebos.

The golems are racking up the status effects.

It is imperative that we keep everyone's HP up.

And it seems the enemy has the same mind set.

The Archers pump another round of arrows into our two mages.

Now that the Cyclopes are gone dealing with the Archers is our new top priority.

Xaebos continues pressing forward. He's taking advantage of any opportunity he can.

After Xaebos, a Terror Knight drops in from the other side, but Buluru is there to take the hit for Staticpulse.

Buluru then takes full advantage of the enemy's positioning and kills an Archer in the process.

On our other flank, a Terror Knight uses the two-handed sword's rank 1 finishing move on Prowler.

But two can play at this game. Staticpulse uses the same move to finish off the Terror Knight Buluru left standing.

Then, the enemy Wizard stuns Arycelle, Cistina, and Cake Attack.

Immediately after that Cake Attack tries to join in on the Staticpulse relief effort.

But, she stumbles due to stun and loses her action.

Once again, Voltare moves to reposition the frontline. The enemy is gaining land but their paying the price for each step.

Even though we want to getting rid of that Archer as soon as possible, Prowler can't reach her. He settles for killing the Terror Knight that's been harassing him.

Not being able to kill that Archer comes back to haunt us in short order.

But, we're going to have to let her live a bit longer because Arycelle and Canopus have a more important target. They need to go after the two Clerics so we can deal with Xaebos without their interference.

Denam gets an attack in on the surviving Archer before moving out of harm's way. He's low on HP at the moment and we want to keep him safe. Hopefully, from this position he will be able to swoop in to get an another attack in on his next turn.

Xaebos steals some of our loot on his fourth turn.

Up until this point we have been doing a good job of leaving Xaebos alone, but if he is going to stand right there Buluru has no choice. He has to attack.

Bayin finishes the job. Now, Xaebos only has those two golems for support and we have a plan for dealing with them.

But before that, doomfunk manages to slow Xaebos.

And Prowler lays a couple of hits into him.

Now for that plan I mentioned. The first part of which, is to knock down the golem Penates's HP to as low as we can without killing him.

While that is happening, Canopus will keep the last surviving Cleric out of our hair.

Unfortunately, on his fifth turn Denam finds himself blocked by Xaebos's arua. So he can't swoop in and attack like we we're hoping. All he can do is move and wait.

Penates's HP is low enough of our plan to work, so Buluru that spear skill rank up from the last fight to good use.

Now, it's time for doomfunk to carry out the last part of the golem plan.

We're going to deal with them by recruiting one and having it distract the other one for us.

Some Chariot spamming later...

...and ta-da! A new goon is born. Before finishing his turn doomfunk heals our new friend with a Mend Leaf.

Xaebos is not happy about this.

What do you mean?

He despises you. Your hands are clean, your words sweet, and your appetites vast. Why dirty them, when a mob will do the knifeman's work for you in exchange for a few words about justice and ideals?

Not just people but golems too.

The plebs like a man who's unsullied... while it lasts. You can't keep the blood off those hands forever, boy. The men who betrayed this castle do naught but wait. they wait for someone to come to their rescue. For a savior to descend upon the isles. Their minds are simple. It is their nature. But we're not like them! We can shepherd these docile lambs down the true path!

You lead them to the slaughter! How many innocents have died in your name? Are the differences between Walister and Galgastani worth so many lives?

If society must be built on the backs of the oppressed, best to be the oppressor, neh? Even a ditch-born bastard in Galgastan can look on you Walister and know his lot could be worse. The fools see the bodies of your dead and feel grateful to be alive.

It's a wretched knight who mocks his own people.

With all that said, Xaebos and his only loyal golem launch a last minute counterattack.

His fifth turn see him using a finishing move to put Prowler down for the count.

Along with the golem totally wrecks our poo poo on its turn. He send doomfunk to the floor while everyone else is barely hanging on. He evened kick Prowler while he was down. Jerk.

After all that it's Denam's sixth and final turn. There is nothing getting in his way now.

He readies is sword...

...and accomplishes what he came here to do.

You think to replace... the duke? Become the savior... of your people? Heh. A fine irony... that.

Xaebos is dead, but he died knowing that Nybeth is out there, somewhere. Carrying out Galgastan's last will.

Congratulations

Amongst our loot is a cool book for doomfunk, but too bad he can't equip for another 5 levels.

:toot:

Now that the castle is ours it's time to have a chat with the locals.

But that begs the question: Why? I can't recall the last time a Walister went out of his way for us. And story was, you were the one behind the massacre at Balmamusa.

I was there, but I had no part in it. I made up my mind to leave the Resistance the moment I learned of their plans for Balmamusa. The duke repaid me by blaming me for the massacre and placing a price on my head.

Hrm...

I knew then who my true foe was. The age-old struggle between Walister and Galgastani is a lie. Men like the heirophant and the duke pit us against each other in their own struggle for power. It is they who deserve our wrath, not you and I.

What will you do then?

Should it come to that, I am prepared to forfeit my life.

That's youth talking. Still, you seem to believe what you say. That's good enough for me.

I hope to prove your trust well placed.

Nice Hat.

So, the Resistance has come. I never set out to destroy them. Now here we are.

Denams happy to finally get a chance to fight the duke after getting side tracked by this whole Xaebos thing.

Next time: We head out for Coritanae. I sure hope we don't blindly run into any NPCs in need of a rescue along the away.

Warren Report

Galgastani Army Annihilated
Coritanae Falls to Resistance!

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Xaebos makes a great unrepentant villain. Do you think we could get a story re-cap in the next update? I've kind of already forgotten the importance of Coritanae. But great LP regardless, I never made it past Chapter 2 in my PSX playthrough, really enjoying seeing the story finally.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Noah posted:

Xaebos makes a great unrepentant villain. Do you think we could get a story re-cap in the next update? I've kind of already forgotten the importance of Coritanae. But great LP regardless, I never made it past Chapter 2 in my PSX playthrough, really enjoying seeing the story finally.

This game actually added a ton of content, so you're seeing extra scenes, characters, places, and things. Nothing entirely major, though, that modifies the storyline.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Golem! :toot:

Also, a book! The book items are kind of weird, but really useful for their level. The lower-level books, I mean. There's one I'm just not sure about.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh. So... we're not going to try to stop the last will of Galgistan? We're just going to get pinned down fighting the same people we were trying to protect when this whole thing started?

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

The thing is that Denam doesn't know Nybeth is up to something. This is one of those cases were the player knows something that the main character doesn't.

Noah posted:

Do you think we could get a story re-cap in the next update?

I can do that.

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Ronwey took Coritanae from us already? Didn't we capture that three battles or so ago? :sigh:

Guess it's time to march on Almorica. Again.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You truly are a monster for killing Veldrei for it is actually possible to get her to retreat. Also after just starting to play the game I discovered just how much fun dual wielding Ninjas with Anatomy are so much fun.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Oh boy, we got a rock.

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Class: Beast Tamer

The beast tamer is able to train beasts and dragons and unleash their hidden potential.

RT: 28
Movement: 4 Agile
Jump: 2 Up, 3 Down

Equip: Fist, Axe, Hammer, some Cudgel, Whip, and Medium Armor
Spells: None
Skills: Subdue (5), Tame (7), Empower Beast (8), Empower Dragon (12), Repel Beast (24), and Repel Dragon (24)

Beast Tamers are obviously set up to support allied monsters. By itself there's not much they can do. The class doesn't have any offensive skills to set it apart from every other class, but that doesn't matter much. Since a Beast Tamer is going to use all its TP empowering your monsters it's best to think of this class as a support tool and not its own thing. A Beast Tamers' job is to make other things better. The Empower Beast and Dragon skills provide a significant boost to a monsters attack power, but at a high cost. The range of the skills starts off limited at 2 tiles away and it increases with rank.

Personally, I don't get much use out of this class. The empower skills cost way too much TP for my taste. At 70 TP per use, you are lucky to get one use of the skill each battle. So in my mind this class is not really worth it. However, if you are the type that uses a lot of monsters in your party, then you may just find a use for a Beast Tamer.

If anything this class does justify its existence with the Subdue and Tame skills. Which can be used to recruit beasts and dragons.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Yeah, all I did with this class was recruit a Gryphon and a Flame Dragon and then I never used it again.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
The class is more of a chore than anything.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Helmet 10 Warehouse posted:

Personally, I don't get much use out of this class. The empower skills cost way too much TP for my taste. At 70 TP per use, you are lucky to get one use of the skill each battle.

This is what really kills it. The TP cost is just way too high. Should've been like 30 TP and maybe tone down the buff slightly to balance it. Sadly you need to use them to do a certain sidequest that involves taming monsters.

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Beast Tamers!

... are terrible. If you want monster units, use them until you have the SP to get Subdue and Tame. The Empower abilities cost way too much TP and the Repel abilities simply dodge attacks from that species until the user's next turn for 75 TP.

The only positive thing I can say about them is that they can use the Lobber, so if you want to use a tamer they can be useful as support. They can also use blowguns, provided they learn the skill elsewhere.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Staticpulse posted:

Beast Tamers!

... are terrible. If you want monster units, use them until you have the SP to get Subdue and Tame. The Empower abilities cost way too much TP and the Repel abilities simply dodge attacks from that species until the user's next turn for 75 TP.

The only positive thing I can say about them is that they can use the Lobber, so if you want to use a tamer they can be useful as support. They can also use blowguns, provided they learn the skill elsewhere.

I would be nice if they could use monster skills or something similar to make them not insanely horrible.
Edit: also, whips aren't good, although a special character has an awesome unique finisher with them.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 23, 2013

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Prowler posted:

Edit: also, whips aren't good, although a special character has an awesome unique finisher with them.

I really kept trying to give whips a fair shake but I can't. I can't think of a single redeeming thing about them.

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Update 34: Flash To The Rescue

Welcome back, everyone. Last time we finally did something heroic and saved a bunch of old people and one well dressed, young man. The young man informed us that The Walister Resistance has take back Coritanae Castle from us. Which is unacceptable. Now that we're moving on into the next leg of things, lets recap:

Click here or above for a larger image.

Here is the current state of affairs. As can see the territory for the Bakram (red) and Walister (blue) haven't change, but we have a new contender. That's right, the green area is ours. We would have had Coritanae Castle too if the Walister did grab it when we weren't looking.

Speaking of Coritanae, that place has been very active lately. From before the start of the game to just before the end of chapter 2 it was the capital of Galgastan. That lasted until the Walister Resistance sacked the city and drove a death nail into the Galgastani nation. This were looking pretty good for the Resistance at this point. They stayed in the city until news broke out about the invasion of the Dark Knights. After that Duke Ronwey and the Resistance returned to Almorica to mount a defense. The invasion didn't advance far into Walister territory, and since then the two nation, Bakram and Walister, have been biding their time. To that end Ronwey has been sending Vyce on secret talks with the leaders of the Dark Knights and Bakram.

When the Resistance left Coritanae a group of the remaining Glagastani loyalist moved in to occupy their former capitol. This is when we came in. For some reason Denam thought taking over Coritanae has a good idea, so off the Order of Goons went. We successfully took the castle, but the loyalist lead by Xaebos fled to Brigantys Castle and took the locals hostage. Also, this is when Catiua left. She said she was returning to Golyat. Then after all that we followed Xaebos to Brigantys, kill him, save the people, and ran into a few Necromancer along the way.

Our new goal is to take back Coritanae.

But right now all the roads to Coritanae run through the Bahanna Highlands, so you know what that means...

A man is confidently traveling across the highlands when two ninjas move to surround him.

Then, this happens...

The man easily dispatches his two pursuers.

Then, he continues on his way.

Until he hears a sound.

They move like the wind.

To the north Denam and crew arrive, but it seems like we weren't what caught his attention.

On cue, the rest of the pursuers catch up. Oh, and they appear to be fans of ours too.

Our mysterious swordsman has flushed out rare game! The Wheel turns for us!

Again with that drat Wheel.

It's save the suicidal NPC time again, but this one seems pretty chill. He does nothing on his first turn. That's right he didn't charge head first into the enemy. That's a first, but I have a feeling it won't last long.

Unless this Ninja can do something about it.

He tries to bind Hobyrim's movement but fails. By the way the guy's name is Hobyrim in case you couldn't be bothered to read it.

The duke favored you above all others, but like any mongrel, you were quick to bite the hand that feeds.

I fought not for the glory of a single man but to bring peace to my people - to Valeria! It is the duke who betrayed our struggle!

At this point Denam is better off going :words: because that's all that this guy is hearing.

Steady hands, lads. We face a foe more foul than the Heirophant himself!

The Ninjas try a couple more times to bind Hobyrim, but to no avail. Depending on your play style this can be a good or bad thing. The obvious benefit is if he can't move, then he can't charge the enemy and get himself killed. The downside is...

is...

You know what, there is no downside. Those Ninjas are letting us down by not immobilizing him. Thanks a lot, jerks.

Denam calls out to the man.

And you are?

My name is Denam Pavel, captain of the Order of Goons.

Young for a knight captain. No matter. I'll take what help is offered!

I like this guy. It's been awhile since we meet anyone on the road who didn't want to kill us.

On his second turn, Hobyrim moves forward to attack the female Ninja.

And he is now in lobber range.

Which is good because the enemy is about to rock his world.

Next, Ninja 1 continues to be a jerk.

While Ninja 2 one-shot kills our new golem.

He's kind of underleveled.

The Berserkers bring Hobyrim down to 39 HP.

Eventually, Cake Attack tosses him a leaf.

Just in time for our target Modiliani's next attack. Okay things aren't looking to good right now. Something drastic needs to happen or else Hobyrim is going to bite the big one.

After a few turns an enemy Wizard gets a chance to attack.

He then turns Hobyrim to stone.

Welp.

Unlike other games in the fantasy genre, you're not considered dead when you're petrified. A petrified unit still has to be killed the old fashion way of bring their HP down to 0. So no game over even though Hobyrim is a statue.

The upside of all this is that the enemy AI will now prioritize going after different targets. This Ninja took a long time think about who to go after.

In the end he decided to attack Arcyelle with the same attack the other ninja used on the golem. He missed two times on a three hit attack.

Prowler goes down for the second time in two fights. He might have survived this attack if Buluru didn't stab through him earlier to kill one of the Berserkers. I bet that Berserker thought he was safe using Prowler as a shield. Until Buluru killed him that is.

No sense in dragging this out. Our target is a mage with the physical defense of a toothpick.

While we're busy with our target, a Wizard throws some mean words at Hobyrim. It's kind of hard to hear when your ears are made of stone.

Denam gets a good hit in.

Then, Modiliani pulls out the big guns.

Ouch

Buluru puts end to this by once again stabbing through something. This time it wasn't a teammate.

No deathbed realization for this guy.

Just a reminder that the world still thinks we had a part in the massacre at Balmamusa.

Though some people just don't seem to care. Like our new friend here.

I'd rather you address me by my name, Denam Pavel.

Of course, forgive me. I am Hobyrim Vandam. I owe you my life. I'll not forget it.

What errand brings you to such a place as this?

You've some score to settle with the Dark Knights?

Aye, you might say that.

Oh, he's blind. Didn't see that one coming. Sorry.

I may not be able to see, but my sword is truer than most. Let me join your struggle.

The Order of Goons is an equal opportunity employer.

You would be a welcome addition.

You've my thanks, then, and my sword.

Congratulations

:toot: Be the way, this is when the game would normally give us our first Swordmaster classmarks. This is if we didn't go out of our way to get them from Phorampa Wildwoods back in update 19. But we did, so whatever.

Meanwhile at Almorica Castle, Duke Ronwey is holding a meeting.

I like that nobody is sitting next to Vyce. Even the other chairs don't want anything to do with him.

He has. We're to meet at the cathedral in Rhime, at a time of our choosing. He even agreed to limit our escorts to three men apiece.

You've served me well in this, Vyce. I could ask for no finer envoy.

We are one step nearer to vanquishing the Bakram.

A fair question.

I should have your tongue out for that! You dare question me?

An unfair response.

Your concern, however well meant, is uncalled for. The Dark Knights will honor their agreement. They know full well the Bakram cannot stand against us with the Galgastani gone. An alliance serves their interest as much as ours.

Ronwey uses lies like a carpenter uses nails.

His claim to power rests on the young heir to House Eltenague. Without the boy, Brantyn is nothing. Stripping him of the regency will be simple enough. With his power lost, his flock will soon scatter. Once we have restored peace to the isles, the Dark Knights will have no choice but to return to Lodis.

I know you've only just returned, but I'm afraid there's no time to rest. We must inform Tartaros of the time of the meeting. Fetch me quill and parchment...

Before we end this update, let's take a trip to the surprisingly polite rear end in a top hat universe.

I'm sorry. Were circumstances different...

Understood. I can hardly expect you to welcome me on no more than my word. No matter. I am sure we will meet again. Until then, stay whole.

Needless to say this choice get's us nothing.

Warren Report

Hobyrim Vandam

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Huh, I always though this dude was in his 50's because of his gray hair and general old man looks. Also because I never used the Warren Report. :downs:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Hobyrim was a badass in my old saves, stick that guy in a passageway and nothing and no one will get past him.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

It takes some setup, but with the right buffs and intentionally exposing them to risk against melee enemies, you can have your Swordmasters dice the hell out of many enemy units in spectacular fashion.

... it's not actually worth the effort, but it is cool :v:

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Haborym was a right badass in the SFC version. With no armor and two swords, he'd dodge every enemy and cut them to pieces, while his DEX stat let him petrify everyone before they got a chance to act.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Yep; Haborym was probably a more overpowered version of TG Cid from FFT. Though you had to work a bit with the suicidal AI to get him, at least, and at least pay attention when he's around archers.

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Roobanguy posted:

Huh, I always though this dude was in his 50's because of his gray hair and general old man looks. Also because I never used the Warren Report. :downs:

Hobyrim does suffer from a mean case of being 20 years young than he looks. But at least in this case there's a good reason for him being the age he is.

victrix posted:

It takes some setup, but with the right buffs and intentionally exposing them to risk against melee enemies, you can have your Swordmasters dice the hell out of many enemy units in spectacular fashion.

This got me thinking about how little I use buffs and debuffs (besides Quickened and Slow of course). Does anyone have any suggestions for buffs I should show off or just use more often in general?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Hobyrim does suffer from a mean case of being 20 years young than he looks. But at least in this case there's a good reason for him being the age he is.

This got me thinking about how little I use buffs and debuffs (besides Quickened and Slow of course). Does anyone have any suggestions for buffs I should show off or just use more often in general?

I think this game suffers from one of the typical RPG problems of status buffs/debuffs having relatively little effect on damage output, especially with the mysterious inner workings of the damage formulae.

The only other one I really bother to use is Fear, as that seems to have the greatest effect on damage.

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Slow/Quick are obviously useful as are Shackle and Bound. Sleep is good in a pinch and, personally, I prefer it for temporarily disabling enemies over Petrify. Charm is also good and Battering Ram is useful on occasion. Outside of spells/scrolls, your best bet for applying statuses are crafted weapons. The Gerges Blowguns immediately come to mind; they're really weak but they have Charm and Petrify variants.

Applying buffs or debuffs directly to attack or defense is... well, I don't really know how helpful it is. As Neurion pointed out, the damage formulae makes it difficult to see whether those buffs have any effect. These buffs are hard to apply via magic since they tend to be really spread out across all the different elements, but if you have money to burn you can buy items for your Lobber to use. But otherwise the effects are useless. + Dodge buffs are capped by the direction you're facing so the enemy always has a 25% minimum to hit, - Dodge debuffs are similarly useless because you tend to have 100% accuracy once your weapon skills get up in level. And who has ever applied Spoil Heal/Healcraft?

Actually, I wonder if Healcraft would make healing spells useful? Never bothered to try using it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Neurion posted:

The only other one I really bother to use is Fear, as that seems to have the greatest effect on damage.

Fear is the best. God if only Terror Knights weren't slow as molasses I would be spamming Fearful strike / Lament of the dead all day.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Status spells are useful directly in proportion to how much you're overleveled/geared for the area you're in.

When I tackled some of the end-game content early, I was using them like crazy, but once my dudes got geared up and leveled a bit, their usage fell off and I went for a more brute force approach.

I think they're definitely useful and strong, but it depends heavily on where you are in the game and what your party looks like.

I wish the AI could be tinkered with, a handful of tweaks to its behavior would make its spellcasters so much nastier. On the other hand, probably for the best for sanity's sake in the halls :buddy:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

I am a fan of throwing instill element on characters or using their special abilities to add [element] touched to their attacks. I rarely use the other spells. It's just nice having that extra 10-20 damage for when you can't do enough melee damage to kill an enemy, but another 15 points will do it (see Canopus and Arycelle)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

waah posted:

I am a fan of throwing instill element on characters or using their special abilities to add [element] touched to their attacks. I rarely use the other spells. It's just nice having that extra 10-20 damage for when you can't do enough melee damage to kill an enemy, but another 15 points will do it (see Canopus and Arycelle)

Yeah, Instill is the best. As my knights are usually too slow to make it to the front line in most fights, they end up casting support skills like Instill Light, and dual-wielders are always the first allies I target with it, of course!

I also get occasional use out of Petrify and Sleep statuses. Actually, now that I think about it, I love Shackle and Bound as well. If I had to pick a better one, I'd say Bound. While Shackle does prevent the victim from acting, they can still flee. Bound is better as it prevents them from fleeing and you can somewhat control what they're able to do by not parking your allies' keisters next to the victim.

Naturally, when it comes to elements, I pick Air and Earth as the primaries for my forces.

• Locked thread