Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I guess Intel's the real dirtbag for selling to them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm still not really sure there's a dirtbag in this story. I agree that it's a notable event that happened in the laptop market, but nobody's a saint in this business. It's business and business gets done.

I guess I hope this doesn't come across as white knighting Apple or anything. They're definitely throwing their weight around, but it's not like any other company in their position with an ounce of sense wouldn't.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Not everyone will see it that way and I think you underestimate just how risk-averse and specific PR managers can be.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The HD5000 isn't necessarily faster than the lesser chips though - check individual models performance across various tasks.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'm going back to school next month and my ARM Chromebook is lent out to my girlfriend and the screen busted. I am liking the C720 a lot, would I do wrong by going with the 2gb over the 4gb, is the $50 difference for it? I don't have more than 4-5 tabs open, don't need linux yet, and watch videos sparingly.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Sendo posted:

The C720 is fantastic, compared to something like the Chromebook 11 sure it may not be the best looking thing but it's by far the most functional Chromebook, it runs Ubuntu extremely well to the point people have it running Steam Linux games fairly well.

Unfortunatly the SSD is the M.2/NGFF form factor which are not overly common at this point, people have been successfully replacing them with these fine however: http://www.amazon.com/MyDigitalSSD-Super-Cache-Solid-State/dp/B00EZ2E8KC

That said though if you're going to go through getting it running Ubuntu and upgrading the SSD you're going to be spending a similar amount of time as you would be replacing the HDD in your current laptop.

Yeah, it's not the time or effort that's putting me off, it's the fact that I won't have access to a working computer until it's done. I can swap out the SSD/tinker with getting a dual boot set up later, but I would need to replace my HDD immediately before doing anything else.

Anyway, my old laptop is a Thinkpad X120e, so I really don't want to sink more money into a computer that I'm already dissatisfied with at this point. A C720 will be a pretty significant upgrade for me.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

dissss posted:

The HD5000 isn't necessarily faster than the lesser chips though - check individual models performance across various tasks.

I'm pretty sure they're talking about the Iris and Iris Pro and not the Intel HD 5000, but in case they were talking about the Intel HD 5000, remember that the HD 4600 outperforms the HD 5000 handily.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
Am I right in thinking that nothing even comes close to the Razer Blade in portability when looking at gaming laptops? It has some features that I'm not crazy about, but portability+power is really my biggest concern, and everything else seems to be at least twice as thick with less than half the battery life...

Spug
Dec 10, 2006

Then turn not pale, beloved snail, but come and join the dance.
Need a new Dell laptop (I get it through work so has to be Dell). The 6000 series seems to be getting a lot of love. I have a 14" now, so I'm torn between E6440 and E6540, but I think I'll go up one size (E6440 only has 1600x900), so I'm thinking of the E6540. Radeon 8790M looks fine enough (Game-Debate gives it a 6 rating, which I guess is OK).

But then I saw the Precision M4800, which is heavier but otherwise looks mighty fine. Is Dell's Precision line good though? It seems to be getting good reviews, but I couldn't find a good comparison between E6540 and M4800 and I absolutely can't find a comparison between the E6540's 8790M and the M4800's two options, AMD FirePro M5100 and NVIDIA Quadro K1100M (Game-Debate doesn't have them).

The M3800 looks very sleek, and about one kilogram lighter than M4800. It also has the NVIDIA Quadro K1100M. What's the catch?

Spug fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 6, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Spug posted:

Need a new Dell laptop (I get it through work so has to be Dell). The 6000 series seems to be getting a lot of love. I have a 14" now, so I'm torn between E6440 and E6540, but I think I'll go up one size (E6440 only has 1600x900), so I'm thinking of the E6540. Radeon 8790M looks fine enough (Game-Debate gives it a 6 rating, which I guess is OK).

But then I saw the Precision M4800, which is heavier but otherwise looks mighty fine. Is Dell's Precision line good though? It seems to be getting good reviews, but I couldn't find a good comparison between E6540 and M4800 and I absolutely can't find a comparison between the E6540's 8790M and the M4800's two options, AMD FirePro M5100 and NVIDIA Quadro K1100M (Game-Debate doesn't have them).

The M3800 looks very sleek, and about one kilogram lighter than M4800. It also has the NVIDIA Quadro K1100M. What's the catch?

Other than having 4 RAM slots (instead of 2) and a vendor-certified video card there's no real gain in going with the Precision over a high-spec Latitude.

Spug
Dec 10, 2006

Then turn not pale, beloved snail, but come and join the dance.

Bob Morales posted:

Other than having 4 RAM slots (instead of 2) and a vendor-certified video card there's no real gain in going with the Precision over a high-spec Latitude.
I guess the M4800 is pretty much the same as the Latitude. Don't know how their graphic cards compare, but otherwise they're basically the same.

However, the E6540 has an i7-4800MQ CPU and a Radeon 8790M, and the M3800 has an i7-4702HQ CPU and a Quadro K1100M. The M3800 is also lighter than the E6540 (and far lighter than the M4800), so I guess that's what I'm wondering about the most. 4800MQ + Radeon 8790M vs 4702HQ + Quadro K1100M. Might be a job for the GPU thread maybe.

What does vendor-certified mean and does it matter?

Spug fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 6, 2013

egoslicer
Jun 13, 2007

Imaduck posted:

Am I right in thinking that nothing even comes close to the Razer Blade in portability when looking at gaming laptops? It has some features that I'm not crazy about, but portability+power is really my biggest concern, and everything else seems to be at least twice as thick with less than half the battery life...

I'm a big fan of the Sager NP7330 line myself. They are basically Clevo W230ST that many resellers rebrand. For about $600 less than the cost of the Razer, you'll have a much better screen and more power. Here's a review thread on Notebookreview:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo-reviews-owners-lounges/725922-htwingnuts-sager-np7330-clevo-w230st-review.html

I personally own one, and the nice thing is the GTX 765M can be OC'd quite easily to be on par with a 770M, you have a 2.5 inch slot and 2 MSata slots, the RAM and CPU are user upgradeable as well. I'd recommend at least taking a look. I know this forum leans heavily Lenovo or Apple, but for portable gaming the Sagers are hard to beat. The only real trade off vs the Razer is battery life, most folks get about 4-5 hours of battery life non-gaming off the Sager, and you may be able to squeeze a bit more out of the Razer. The chassis of the Razer is a bit nicer as well, but the Sager is fairly solid IMO. Anyway, I originally considered the Y510p, Razer 14, Macbook, and ended up with a NP7330.

A few resellers are LPC Digital, Mythlogic, and XoticPC. I went with LPC because the main sales guy, Larry, is very active on Notebook Review and he's pretty good to work with.

egoslicer fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 6, 2013

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Asking for a friend who has specific needs:

A super tiny, super light Windows laptop with good battery life, to use on vacation (involves a lot of travel). Main use: some light work (Outlook / Word), check internet, look at hotel etc bookings while on the go...
He used to have a 10" netbook that did the trick, but the battery is shot and replacements are expensive.

I'm thinking Asus Transformer Book T100 to avoid drama in case of theft / loss, is there anything else he should look at ?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Imaduck posted:

Nothing comes close to it in terms of cost, certainly :)

Initially, I was looking at a Razer Blade/Blade Pro. The various models that people will recommend to you come with their own sets of drawbacks and benefits. For example:

Y510P
Benefits: Powerful (2x GT 755m > GTX 770, and even the 755m alone is more than enough to handle most current games at decent settings), good resolution (1920x1080), lots of storage space (up to 1 TB), decent RAM cache (up to 16 GB), very affordable price ($1200 or below).
Drawbacks: Not exactly portable (~6 lbs, good luck getting decent battery life running two graphics cards), all that storage space is not SSD (but there is a decent sized SS cache of 24 GB that will shorten boot-up times).

Razer Blade
Benefits: Powerful with limits - the display is limited to 1600x900 on purpose in order to improve frame rates, but will still beat the pants off anything running integrated graphics, SSD is standard, very much portable (4.1 lbs, great battery life especially for a laptop that is 'gaming' oriented)
Drawbacks: Not terrifically affordable, 256 GB standard SSD is easy to fill up quickly

When it came down to it, the most convincing argument that influenced my decision was posed by QuarkJets:

QuarkJets posted:

Have you considered something like the Y410p/Y510p? I absolutely love gaming on my Y410p. It can handle any modern game (which would put it maybe slightly behind the latest Razer, hardware-wise) but costs less than $1000.

And consider this: for $2k you can buy a sweet Razer laptop that will be a heavy pain in the rear end to use anywhere without an outlet and will be worthless in 3 years. For less than $1k you can buy an efficient but powerful Y410p that will be worthless in about the same time (2-3 years), but then with the savings you can buy the newest gaming sub-$1k hotness and still be way ahead money-wise and hardware-wise than if you had just bought the Razer.

Basically what I'm saying is that those $2k+ Razer laptops are designed and marketed to part fools from their money and very few people actually need them. That said, some people find the better build/screen quality and the logo to be worth the extra $1500+, so YMMV

Again though, to each their own. You'll have to weigh the costs of everything appropriately and with regards to how you will see yourself using it. Personally, I don't typically game on a laptop unless I'm plugged into something - so portability in terms of battery life is not really a huge factor for me since it never becomes a huge issue, and six pounds to me is very manageable for a laptop. On the other hand, if your lifestyle dictates that you'll be out of contact with a socket for a decent amount of time and you'd like to do some light gaming, then a laptop that's $2000+ but only four pounds with OK battery life just might be worth the cost.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 6, 2013

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
Yeah, there's no question that the Razer is pricey. I use my laptop all the time for work and play and will certainly have it for a couple years though, so a 50+% price increase is worth it to me to get what I want. The Lenovos are fine, but I've been lugging around a heavy, not-very-portable, lovely battery life machine for the last 3 years and I'm sick of it.

That Sager seems fine, but holy crap is it ugly and a bit bulky. Still, not a terrible option.

Does anyone have thoughts on the MSI GE40? It seems like a more reasonably priced, slightly less snazzy Razer.

egoslicer
Jun 13, 2007

Imaduck posted:

Yeah, there's no question that the Razer is pricey. I use my laptop all the time for work and play and will certainly have it for a couple years though, so a 50+% price increase is worth it to me to get what I want. The Lenovos are fine, but I've been lugging around a heavy, not-very-portable, lovely battery life machine for the last 3 years and I'm sick of it.

That Sager seems fine, but holy crap is it ugly and a bit bulky. Still, not a terrible option.

Does anyone have thoughts on the MSI GE40? It seems like a more reasonably priced, slightly less snazzy Razer.

Supposedly the MSI has the same problem as the Razer, TN screen with bad contrast and black levels. I've heard it also has heating issues and throttles itself fairly often. I wouldn't consider it honestly, I took a look at it as well and while the price was attractive, those two things threw me off.

snoozeallday
Sep 9, 2010

tell him all your problems . . . he's fucking awesome with listening

GrizzlyCow posted:

I'm pretty sure they're talking about the Iris and Iris Pro and not the Intel HD 5000, but in case they were talking about the Intel HD 5000, remember that the HD 4600 outperforms the HD 5000 handily.

I thought HD5000 was iris?? poo poo.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
Iris Pro refers to HD5200

Anandtech article

Quote from last page:

"it is significantly faster than any other integrated solution and does get within striking distance of the GT 650M in many cases"

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Martytoof posted:

I'm still not really sure there's a dirtbag in this story. I agree that it's a notable event that happened in the laptop market, but nobody's a saint in this business. It's business and business gets done.

I guess I hope this doesn't come across as white knighting Apple or anything. They're definitely throwing their weight around, but it's not like any other company in their position with an ounce of sense wouldn't.

I like to think of it this way - in order to Apple to do that, Intel had to have extracted quite the pound of flesh from them to do so. Apple also has unusually high profit margins per unit sold, which circumvents needing the dominant market share. If this cuts into their lovely profit margins for something that might not be all that worth it (in terms of price/performance, I already think they're not the best value but the build quality is unquestionable - my PowerBook G4 from 2005 still works, and the only things that don't work are because of personal damage I accidentally inflicted on the backlight inverter), so much the better.

EDIT: Also, if that Anandtech article is correct (which it is certainly more correct than I), then by extension we all sort of benefit from an increased emphasis on integrated graphics as a result of Apple's demands on Intel. Not such a bad flip side.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 6, 2013

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

P.N.T.M. posted:

Iris Pro refers to HD5200

Anandtech article

Quote from last page:

"it is significantly faster than any other integrated solution and does get within striking distance of the GT 650M in many cases"

That's a 47w chip in a desktop case though - might be problematic in an actual laptop.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
That's the caveat with HD5200. In terms of Mobile chips, it's only featured as 47w TDP

As far as I can tell, Apple bought out the entire order of i7-4750HQs and i7-4850HQs. That leaves:

i7-4950HQ and i7-4960HQ as the other two HD5200 chips.

These are some really mean mobile chips. Nasty nasty power hungry processing beasts. Of course Apple buys out the only two reasonable lines of the bunch.

Edit: I misunderstood the point. Yeah, it could act a little different in a real-world build, but its improvement curve is in-line with what we expected. Next step could be wrangling that nasty monster and lowering the TDP.

Imagine that..

P.N.T.M. fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 6, 2013

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Am I missing something? Is there something noticeably different between:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231700

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231582

The first one is cheaper, but barely has any reviews. It's new? I'm looking to upgrade the RAM in my T430.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Xtanstic posted:

Am I missing something? Is there something noticeably different between:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231700

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231582

The first one is cheaper, but barely has any reviews. It's new? I'm looking to upgrade the RAM in my T430.

The second is 1.35V DDRL or whatever it's called. You need 1.5V memory

snoozeallday
Sep 9, 2010

tell him all your problems . . . he's fucking awesome with listening

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

So the GT3e comes with a big rear end extra memory buffer, but is there any difference between the 5100 and the 5000 outside of the TDP?

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
So, got the Y510p and put the caddy into the computer, but it doesn't look good. The DVD drive in the ultra bay comes perfectly flush and matches the exterior of the system. What I have the SSD in is not flush at all.

See these pictures.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/+TimGlaser/albums/5954397850574417953

Is there something I can buy from Lenovo that will work better than this? or is there an attachment that will cover over that side bit better?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

P.N.T.M. posted:

These are some really mean mobile chips. Nasty nasty power hungry processing beasts. Of course Apple buys out the only two reasonable lines of the bunch.

Edit: I misunderstood the point. Yeah, it could act a little different in a real-world build, but its improvement curve is in-line with what we expected. Next step could be wrangling that nasty monster and lowering the TDP.

Imagine that..

Its the type of thing that may make sense in the future but certainly doesn't right now - to get within striking distance of a 650M you need an expensive power hungry chip. At that point why not just go for the dGPU?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

tijag posted:

So, got the Y510p and put the caddy into the computer, but it doesn't look good. The DVD drive in the ultra bay comes perfectly flush and matches the exterior of the system. What I have the SSD in is not flush at all.

See these pictures.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/+TimGlaser/albums/5954397850574417953

Is there something I can buy from Lenovo that will work better than this? or is there an attachment that will cover over that side bit better?

Are you sure that you can't swap the fairing from the DVD drive onto the SATA caddy? I thought that was supposed to be a thing but I don't know for sure.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

DNova posted:

Are you sure that you can't swap the fairing from the DVD drive onto the SATA caddy? I thought that was supposed to be a thing but I don't know for sure.

You can! I'm dumb. Mostly it feels so fragile I felt like I was ripping the DVD drive apart.

Thanks for the suggestion!

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe

dissss posted:

Its the type of thing that may make sense in the future but certainly doesn't right now - to get within striking distance of a 650M you need an expensive power hungry chip. At that point why not just go for the dGPU?

Well, end result is less power being used, and less need for excessive cooling. Once the IGFX from Intel started performing at respectable levels, it became viable to cut out the discrete chip altogether for most of the market. But the only chips outfitted with HD5200 are overkill for 90% of the market. There are only a handful of companies that build for overkill, and Apple is one of them.

And their solution is work with IGFX unless you need something with more punch, at which point you slap a GT750m in that chassis and use a proprietary Optimus technology to switch in between the two graphics options. Now you have a single 15" chassis that can accommodate an i7-4850HQ and discrete GT750m, and therefore can easily house a solo i7-4750HQ, and sell both at an high price because they are, in fact, two of the most powerful builds on the market.

And I don't dream of discounting every other magical marvel Apple sticks in that chassis. They should follow the iPhone 5s route and have gold tinted models released.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I'm using a tool called 'Rufus' to make my USB thumb drive bootable.

I need to choose the 'MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI computers' along with FAT32 file system, right?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Lblitzer posted:

I'm going back to school next month and my ARM Chromebook is lent out to my girlfriend and the screen busted. I am liking the C720 a lot, would I do wrong by going with the 2gb over the 4gb, is the $50 difference for it? I don't have more than 4-5 tabs open, don't need linux yet, and watch videos sparingly.

They clearly think 2GB is adequate, as that's also what's coming on the $300 version of the c720 with a touchscreen.

HOWEVER, the RAM is soldered on and is non-upgradeable.

If it were me (and it probably will be at the end of the month), I'd get the 4GB, just because I want to be able to run more simultaneously.

I can't find the 4GB anywhere for $250, only scalpers selling it north of $300. If you need one very soon, that kinds of limits your decision.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Why do so many laptops have soldered RAM? Does this confer some sort of benefit or is it just a middle finger to consumers?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Can't it help sizing? But yeah definitely the latter for sure.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
It is bit cheaper, while makes board layout and production much easier. Combine that with the fact that most consumers can't/don't replace ram.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

QuarkJets posted:

Why do so many laptops have soldered RAM? Does this confer some sort of benefit or is it just a middle finger to consumers?

Board layout is easier, it lets them save thickness.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

evol262 posted:

Board layout is easier, it lets them save thickness.

You also don't have to make a panel to service that area.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
So. Y510p all setup and everything is functioning.

Two questions.

1) In device manager there is a 'other devices' catagorey and it has 'unknown device' with a little yellow exclamation point. Any idea what I might have missed? I'm assuming its a driver for some custom bit Lenovo did. I think it might be the SD card reader thing, but I'm not sure.

2) This laptop came configured with one of those little SSD caching drives. I bought a 500gb SSD to put in the ultrabay. Is it just pointless now? Or is there still some benefit to be had from it? And if so, how do I configure it?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
So I got a new laptop and I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it, but I don't know if it's just that I'm expecting too much or if it's actually just poo poo.

It's got 16GB of RAM, i7 4500U as the processor.

Basically what's bugging me about it right now is that it takes around 30 seconds to a minute to boot up from sleep mode before it even gets to the welcome screen. Startup afterwards is pretty quick (it goes from password entered to useable in about 30 seconds) but I just worry that if it's taking this long to start up now it's going to get a hell of a lot worse in a year or two when there's actual stuff on this computer.

Startup from sleep is slower than my 2010-era low end Dell that I was using before that was running first gen i5 and like 4gb of ram and is full of so much poo poo I wonder how it even runs sometimes.

Am I overreacting, or is this a bad sign?

edit: Also, the wifi connection seems to be worse than on my old laptop. Is there a way I can check if this is the case, or is it really a matter of just running a speed test on both computers next to each other?

HookShot fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

HookShot posted:

Am I overreacting, or is this a bad sign?

No something is definitely up with it. Was it a display model or something?