Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Man. Did Hondas of that vintage have anything even resembling a crumple zone or a passenger cage? Or was it all down to bumpers and seat belts? Either way that poor car wouldn't fare well in an accident with a more modern "small" car, much less a large one.

Not trying to be a bummer but that's just where my brain went :v:

Concessions need to be made when your curb weight makes an AW11 look like a diesel Excursion, and my knees and forehead are perfectly serviceable airbags thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

13 INCH DICK posted:

Tiny, tiny little cattle :3:
When I read this I glanced back up at the photo and imagined
"beepbeep!" *nudge*
"moo?"
"beepbeep!" *nudge*

beepbeep!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Cars in general, even to some degree American landboats, were smaller and considerably lighter back then.

Put one of those Minis up next to, say, an early Camry if you really want a surprise. Curb weight, height, width are all practically the same, the Mini's wheelbase is all of 5 inches shorter and the Camry is longer only really because of the trunk.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

Cars in general, even to some degree American landboats, were smaller and considerably lighter back then.

Eh? In 1973 they sold the largest regular-production car ever offered in the US. That year's 4-door Imperials were Nineteen feet Nine inches. That's about two inches longer than a modern Dodge 2500 Six-pack longbox. There was a move for smaller cars around '76 or so, and another in '86, the latter so bad that cars in general became so light and flimsy that deaths through traffic accidents went up! But 13"'s car was absolutely expected to be on the road against some of the biggest, heaviest cars ever to ply the roads.

If I had a hardon for cars that make MR2s look like Yachts I'd be looking into beefing up the frame and filling the body panels with some sort of foam or conrete or something just so that if I ever had an accident with it I wouldn't end up as a canned ham. I've had an MR2 and I've driven lots of small cars, and the problem with them and me is, though, that they make me a dickhead. When I can scoot in anywhere and get places in traffic, parking spots, gas pumps, etc., I do, and gently caress everybody else! I can't imagine how many people I'd piss off with a car like this. My Saab is just big enough not to trigger this reflex in me.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Red_October_7000 posted:

Eh? In 1973 they sold the largest regular-production car ever offered in the US. That year's 4-door Imperials were Nineteen feet Nine inches. That's about two inches longer than a modern Dodge 2500 Six-pack longbox. There was a move for smaller cars around '76 or so, and another in '86, the latter so bad that cars in general became so light and flimsy that deaths through traffic accidents went up! But 13"'s car was absolutely expected to be on the road against some of the biggest, heaviest cars ever to ply the roads.

If I had a hardon for cars that make MR2s look like Yachts I'd be looking into beefing up the frame and filling the body panels with some sort of foam or conrete or something just so that if I ever had an accident with it I wouldn't end up as a canned ham. I've had an MR2 and I've driven lots of small cars, and the problem with them and me is, though, that they make me a dickhead. When I can scoot in anywhere and get places in traffic, parking spots, gas pumps, etc., I do, and gently caress everybody else! I can't imagine how many people I'd piss off with a car like this. My Saab is just big enough not to trigger this reflex in me.

I also tend to drive like a complete dickhead when I drive my little 91 Corolla. It zips in and out of traffic and feels like a little go-kart. It seems to actively encourage me to drive like a tool.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh absolutely the same here, just with 1.2L of screaming carbureted fury nobody knows I'm racing :3:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

13 INCH DICK posted:

Oh absolutely the same here, just with 1.2L of screaming carbureted fury nobody knows I'm racing :3:

Flatfoot shifting thru every gear?

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
I like to think I can take credit in a small way since I contributed that first civic. Incidentally I missed that little guy so last week I bought and drove this car 1700 miles home :)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Man. Did Hondas of that vintage have anything even resembling a crumple zone

The driver. Adding passengers also added more crumple zones.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

bandman posted:

I also tend to drive like a complete dickhead when I drive my little 91 Corolla. It zips in and out of traffic and feels like a little go-kart. It seems to actively encourage me to drive like a tool.

What's funny is that I've actually gotten a lot more aggressive in my driving since I went from my Jetta to my Golf. I'm almost afraid to buy a Golf R as I will probably start getting lots of tickets.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Just got offered after hours lift use at the vintage Volvo place in Ballard because I'm always doing favors for the owner :hellyeah:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

13 INCH DICK posted:

Just got offered after hours lift use at the vintage Volvo place in Ballard because I'm always doing favors for the owner :hellyeah:

You don't even really need a whole lift for that car.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
well its nice to have air and not be working on a floor jack in a wet curb ya know? :v:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Pfft, if you haven't had to use a wet gutter as an inspection pit then you've lived a sheltered life. :clint:

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
does this mean shots of the Underneath? I imagine it has the littlest sway bar links :allears:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

jammyozzy posted:

Pfft, if you haven't had to use a wet gutter as an inspection pit then you've lived a sheltered life. :clint:

Pulled the Fastback's exhaust off the head studs on a christmas cruise and laid down in the pouring rain with my jacket wrapped around my hands to prevent cooking my fingers pushing it back into place, I've served my time in Hell.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm pretty sure all you need for that thing is a pair of old weight lifting benches and a couple friends, not a lift, but a lift makes it even easier.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

some texas redneck posted:

The driver. Adding passengers also added more crumple zones.

Mate of mine had one in highschool. Rolled it two and a half times with 6 people in it, body boards and chillybins (coolers) in the boot. Everyone walked away with nothing more than cuts and bruises, it was crazy. They needed a crowbar to get the stuff out of the boot.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

When did 13 inch start using reddit?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Honda died on me. it's 5am, no tools, can't get it restarted. feels like fuel. its loving cold.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
This brings back fond memories of Mom trying to get the '79 Fairmont started in the cold on school mornings. The one morning where I walked out and saw a column of flame leaping from the carburetor... :allears:

Carbs and cold, no greater fun in the world.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
No I had it warmed up and running and it just flat out died. cranks no start looks like there is fuel in the filter. I'm getting it towed back to the shop because i'm late for a flight already. friend didnt wake up so i had to call a taxi from the parking lot 3 blocks away i pushed to.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Holy gently caress if you want to stare into the face of god tell a taxi driver you need to get to the airport NOW

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
As long as you got a panther and not something else I am sure it was a religious experience.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

13 INCH DICK posted:

Holy gently caress if you want to stare into the face of god tell a taxi driver you need to get to the airport NOW

Details please

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

astrollinthepork posted:

Details please

He got picked up in his old car, which is still running properly.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

astrollinthepork posted:

Details please

My incredibly cute friend told me that for her birthday she wanted to spend a weekend with me so I bought a plane ticket to come to Cali for a couple days, and so far this morning my ride that promised me no problem slept through their alarm and wouldn't wake up for banging on the windows and doors, then the car wouldnt't start, it was like 25 degrees, I pushed it 1 block uphill and then 2 on level ground to get it to a parking lot where I called the tow company and a taxi company already running behind.

It took me 23 minutes from the Fremont area of Seattle starting from the time I hung up on dispatch with the taxi to me walking into Seatac airport. Total.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
And the shitter I'm now trapped in is out of toilet paper.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

13 INCH DICK posted:

Oh man, I'm so sorry. I wish I could somehow help you out.

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 7, 2013

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

After such various ordeals, I sure hope you get well-laid.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
You need to fight fire with fire. Quick, use our posts

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

13 INCH DICK posted:

Use some Construction Toilet Paper (your socks).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

13 INCH DICK posted:

It's too bad you didn't bring that wrong manual I sent, though I think a haynes would actually be more fit for that purpose :v:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

13 INCH DICK posted:

Look before you leap!!! Just kidding, been there done that. :(
Hope you have made it safely.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If you still had the Crown Vic it would have started :colbert:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The Crown Vic could've carried extra toilet paper, too

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

13 INCH DICK posted:

It took me 23 minutes from the Fremont area of Seattle starting from the time I hung up on dispatch with the taxi to me walking into Seatac airport. Total.

LOL that's drat good time, especially if the taxi was late. Did you ride shotgun or in the back seat? Did he shot you what a Panther was [i]really[/] capable of?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

AI, meet LP.

LP, consider this a Let's Play of someone's actual life.

Merry Christmas!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Did you make it out of the toilet?

Also, tell us a little bit about your personal history with your life.

• Locked thread