Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I have another complaint - that opening shot of London was totally inaccurate and spoilt my immersion :colbert:

E: Wow what a terrible way to open a new page. Uhh, more serious impressions so far: The game is really easy so far, beyond one puzzle that had me stumped for a while, and only because I was confused as to the mechanics. Vera Security puzzle spoiler: Trying to light up the dark room. Tried to find a lamp outside, light things with the matches, matches on hotspots, everything. Matches on matchbox was the solution. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I remember playing Still Life when it launched and really liking it, but that was also at a time when there was an absolute dearth of any modern adventure games, so I'll believe it when people say it's trash.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I wish to make a suggestion for some simple Adventures games not on the list. Even though they are for kids, I would suggest any of the Games by Humongous Entertainment.

Most of the library is unavailable at the moment since HE was bought by Infograms which became Atari which went bankrupt. But there is a company, Nimbus Games (http://nimbusgames.com/) which is release some of the games on iOS and Android.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm playing through Chaos on Deponia now and.. yikes. I know this was the weakest in the trilogy going in, but man does it have some obnoxious/irritating moments. Rufus has always been a lovely protagonist but it's hard to watch this time. They do punish him a lot for being a piece of poo poo but there's still a lot of times in the game where I think "why is anyone even trying to help, befriend or fall in love with this rear end in a top hat."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hakkesshu posted:

I remember playing Still Life when it launched and really liking it, but that was also at a time when there was an absolute dearth of any modern adventure games, so I'll believe it when people say it's trash.

It really is. The plot has a lot of potential, but the characters, dialogue and puzzles are all absolutely terrible. And the fact that you have a positive impression of it at all must mean you've forgotten about the cookie-baking puzzle.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm really enjoying the new Broken Swords so far, but I've encountered a pretty serious bug. It crashes to the desktop almost every time I try to show Fleur something. Does anyone else have this problem?

Also, I'm pretty sure pretending to be an old woman's dead husband by sticking dog hair to his face has to be George's lowest moment yet. It's great.

EDIT: Apparently you can work around the problem by using the classic UI. They are working on a fix, as well.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 7, 2013

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Spike TV screwed up and now its out that Telltale is making a Game of Thrones game. Should be rad.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Renoistic posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure pretending to be an old woman's dead husband by sticking dog hair to his face has to be George's lowest moment yet. It's great.

As it was Jane Jensen's.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Tiggum posted:

It really is. The plot has a lot of potential, but the characters, dialogue and puzzles are all absolutely terrible. And the fact that you have a positive impression of it at all must mean you've forgotten about the cookie-baking puzzle.

I remember it happening, but I don't remember it being particularly egregious. But again, this was like the first adventure game I had played since like MI 4, which I thought was absolute trash. The cookie-baking is still better than Monkey Kombat.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Watching the VGX stream. Apparently Telltale is making a game based on Borderlands.

I've always wanted to see what would happen if Telltale and Gearbox got together! <--- (A thing no one has said, ever.)

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It really shows how hosed up this industry is when blatant thieves like Gearbox haven't been totally blacklisted yet.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 8, 2013

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Accordion Man posted:

It really shows how hosed up this industry is when blatant thieves like Gearbox haven't been totally blacklisted yet.

Huh?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Could I have a recommendation for an adventure game for my son, who is only 5 years old? He can read very well, but the humor of many games might be over his head, and the detailed stories of something like Broken Sword might be too confusing and potentially frightening.

I was thinking Sam & Max, and we watched a video of the newer ones, and the jokes are definitely at a higher level than he'd understand, but I still think he'd like it, as long as I played with him and "asked for his advice" whenever we had to use items. (we'll probably do this, and play through all of those together)

But can you think of a game where he'd potentially be able to play entirely on his own? I have an iPad, and the idea of clicking "open/push/pull" and even combining inventory items is within his reach, I'd say. A hint system would be nice, too, for sure.

Thanks for any suggestions. I am not getting my hopes up, though. :)

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I have another complaint - that opening shot of London was totally inaccurate and spoilt my immersion :colbert:

E: Wow what a terrible way to open a new page. Uhh, more serious impressions so far: The game is really easy so far, beyond one puzzle that had me stumped for a while, and only because I was confused as to the mechanics. Vera Security puzzle spoiler: Trying to light up the dark room. Tried to find a lamp outside, light things with the matches, matches on hotspots, everything. Matches on matchbox was the solution. :downs:

What up, fail buddy :v::respek::v: . That was seriously hardest puzzle yet, in a bad way.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Chinook posted:

Could I have a recommendation for an adventure game for my son, who is only 5 years old? He can read very well, but the humor of many games might be over his head, and the detailed stories of something like Broken Sword might be too confusing and potentially frightening.

I was thinking Sam & Max, and we watched a video of the newer ones, and the jokes are definitely at a higher level than he'd understand, but I still think he'd like it, as long as I played with him and "asked for his advice" whenever we had to use items. (we'll probably do this, and play through all of those together)

But can you think of a game where he'd potentially be able to play entirely on his own? I have an iPad, and the idea of clicking "open/push/pull" and even combining inventory items is within his reach, I'd say. A hint system would be nice, too, for sure.

The Humongous games being re-released by Nimbus Games that were mentioned a few posts ago are a good bet. They're solid games made in part by Tim Schafer (and music by The Fat Man of 7th Guest/Wing Commander/Master of Orion fame), and they're designed for his age group.

Also if you have a PS3 then Journey would be a good choice. On the Wii/WiiU Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros Treasure would work too.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 8, 2013

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Chinook posted:

The Wallace and Gromit game episodes from Telltale might be worth a look.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I played The Black Cauldron on my Apple IIGS when I was 5, you should play that with him. :v:

Really though, the Humongous Entertainment games listed earlier (Putt-Putt, Freddy the Fish, etc) would be totally up his alley.

You also might want to explore EcoQuest.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

macnbc posted:

The Humongous games being re-released by Nimbus Games that were mentioned a few posts ago are a good bet. They're solid games made in part by Tim Schafer (and music by The Fat Man of 7th Guest/Wing Commander/Master of Orion fame), and they're designed for his age group.

Also if you have a PS3 then Journey would be a good choice. On the Wii/WiiU Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros Treasure would work too.

Bullshit, that game is hard as nails and I tried it when I was in my 20s.

with extra cheese
Oct 27, 2010

Chinook posted:

It might be a little difficult to track down a legit copy, but when I was that age I played a lot of Mixed-Up Mother Goose.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, guys. Perfect! :)

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Inaccurate London? The first thing you light is the match?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 9, 2013

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

with extra cheese posted:

It might be a little difficult to track down a legit copy, but when I was that age I played a lot of Mixed-Up Mother Goose.

I was too old when my family got a copy of this, but my younger sister played it pretty much non-stop for months, so for that age I'd say it's definitely worth getting, assuming you still can and it's not a massive hassle to get running.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

jammu posted:

What up, fail buddy :v::respek::v: . That was seriously hardest puzzle yet, in a bad way.
I actually found working out where to click to turn the pages of the portfolio even harder!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That was so unintuitive!
I was starting to wonder if my game broke and searched online if that was a known bug.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Did you play using the classic interface as well? I was more than half wondering if maybe it was something they had working with the modern interface but forgot to fix for classic (I assume "modern" is some sort of touch based thing, I never actually tried it)

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
So the Quest for Glory-like indie game Quest for Infamy has just released a new trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y6gNDpWAN4

Release date is "early 2014". Really looking forward to this game, personally.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

The environments look really good but I'm going to have to turn off that voice acting, it's super amateurish.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Does anyone happen to match up with my particular brands of nerd, here? I found this on my computer from a while back.

Mystery game + dinosaurs + multiple character paths? Yes, please.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Everything in the text on there screams "Jurassic Park" but it bears no resemblance to any JP game I've ever heard of.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

macnbc posted:

Everything in the text on there screams "Jurassic Park" but it bears no resemblance to any JP game I've ever heard of.

Yeah, I spent a few minutes googling for it last night and came up with nothing other than the fact that "Ingen corporation" "German book" and "Site B" all have to do with Jurassic park. Looks like it could maybe be an indie or flash game? I wanna play too!

Edit: I hope not, but it could just be a mockup. I've seen some pretty convincing/beautiful mockups on pixel art forums over the years.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy

the black husserl posted:

The environments look really good but I'm going to have to turn off that voice acting, it's super amateurish.

This. Super excited for another QFG style game though.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
That picture is definitely Jurassic Park but as far as I know there is no such game. According to wikipedia there was a point-and-click Jurassic Park game for Sega-CD but that game is completely unrelated to that picture. So it's definitely just some dude's well done pixel art mockup.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Whoops, should have said that I made it. It's based on the JP Lost World novel, so way too niche to actually put the effort in to make a never going to be finished fangame.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Shmorky created his own point-and-click adventure game!:
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/tube-adventure-game/

quote:

Welcome to THE TUBE ADVENTURE! A game about exploration and discovery inside of tubes. You star as YOU a genderless thingy that gets zapped into the tube world by a Wizard. What is the Wizard's scheme? Well he wont tell you until later.
The controls are basic point and click. No need to use the keyboard! The points and awards don't matter, but feel free to take screenshots and show off your amazing scores to your friends. #thetubeadventure

For more info, there's a thread in the Front Page subforum:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3594565

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So for Journeyman Project fans: The Mac OS X version of Pegasus Prime is now accepting preorders.

The Mac version looks to be a disc-only release while the Windows version (coming probably next month) will be a digital-only release likely through GOG.com

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Awesome. I always wanted to play Pegasus Prime back in the day, but I never had a Mac. Looking forward to getting the chance now, especially as a digital download will mean not having to swap out discs all the time.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
On their Facebook page, they're asking people to vote for Pegasus Prime on GOG.com's Wishlist page. I wasn't aware it was that much like Steam Greenlight. I though it was just for convincing GOG.com to pursue various existing games. Wouldn't Pegasus Prime be a shoe-in because Journeyman Project 2 and 3 are already there? If they reject it due to lack of interest, that'd be really lovely.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Dec 16, 2013

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

BiggerJ posted:

On their Facebook page, they're asking people to vote for Pegasus Prime on GOG.com's Wishlist page. I wasn't aware it was that much like Steam Greenlight. I though it was just for convincing GOG.com to pursue various existing games. Wouldn't Pegasus Prime be a shoe-in because Journeyman Project 2 and 3 are already there? If they reject it due to lack of interest, that'd be really lovely.

Yeah, it's not like Greenlight at all. It's just a show of support.

Also I'm pretty sure it's a done deal already. In fact they seem to say so in the comments for one of their Facebook posts.

I wouldn't read too much into the wishlist.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
So there's a new free Quest for Glory-like adventure/RPG that's just been released, Heroine's Quest. Looks like it could be fun:

quote:

Crystal Shard is proud to announce the release of Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok, available for FREE download!

Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok is an adventure / RPG hybrid. Like in many adventure games, you have a world to save, and must use your wit, guile and inventory to puzzle your way through. Like in many roleplaying games, you can customize your character with various classes and skills, and must train yourself in combat to stand a chance against the fierce monsters in your way.

The game is designed in the spirit and atmosphere of the classics, and strives to have the same high quality of art, music, and plot. With multiple character classes and several solutions to many puzzles, the game has excellent replayability.

Features:
- Explore the rich world of Norse mythology!
- Three character classes with separate side quests: use your strength as a warrior, the arcane arts as a sorceress, wit and guile as a rogue, or create a hybrid with skills from multiple classes.
- 32 distinct voice acted characters with animated portraits.
- Over 100 hand-painted backgrounds and 10,000 sprites in animations.
- Many monsters, including giants, trolls, and svartalfar.
- High replayability due to optional quests, alternative solutions, and the three different classes.

Available for download from www.crystalshard.net/hq.htm .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

CrookedB posted:

So there's a new free Quest for Glory-like adventure/RPG that's just been released, Heroine's Quest. Looks like it could be fun:

They also made A Tale of Two Kingdoms, which was an enjoyable take on the King's Quest formula.