Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Wait what's the point of "offline mode" anyway? Like what does it even do? If you've got some tracks synced they'll play regardless of whether you're on or offline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Wait what's the point of "offline mode" anyway? Like what does it even do? If you've got some tracks synced they'll play regardless of whether you're on or offline.

Downloads them to your PC so you can play them offline in their special Spotify format.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Offline Mode just lets you listen to your playlists even if you aren't connected to the internet. I've mainly used Offline Mode for long drives where there's no internet or cellular reception so I'll still be able to listen to stuff aside from the few things I have on my iTunes. I mostly use it on my phone, but the wifi at my house has not been working for some reason for like 2 weeks and my landlady still hasn't fixed it so I've just synced it all on my laptop now too.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, Offline mode is really useful for if you plan on being somewhere without wifi or 3G connections.

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
I'll have to try again when I go back to work this weekend. I definitely have 2 playlists synced onto my laptop. Hopefully it works this time.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah but can't you just hit the little "available offline" slider in the playlist itself? Or does offline mode just sync all your playlists?

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical

Yeah but can't you just hit the little "available offline" slider in the playlist itself? Or does offline mode just sync all your playlists?

It only syncs the specific playlist that I hit the slider on. I have about 10 playlists all with 50+ songs so I'm choosing to experiment with only a couple right now.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
For those looking to organize their playlists there is a "Playlist folder" option that exists.

I usually make a playlist folder of the artist, throw all of their albums within that folder as seperate playlists and when you select the whole artist it sorts it alphabetically.

It requires a bit more manual work but so far my spotify playlists are neatly organized by genre/artist and its made things much better.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

ANAmal.net posted:

Oh my goodness there is a Browse tab now and it has a "new releases" button.

I'm so happy I don't have to use their worthless Discover tab anymore.

Dear god, this is the best thing ever. I can find all the good playlist and make my own from them too.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
WRONG THREAD!

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
OK so apparently I think the problem was that I needed to have "Offline Mode" selected under File. It worked which was awesome. But today I didn't have Offline Mode checked but it still worked. I think it also had to do with Spotify trying to sync all my songs over and over again while I was at school so that they were definitely synced by the time I got to work.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Why does Spotify have "news" now? They sure are taking a weird direction with stuff...

:iiam:

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

AccountSupervisor posted:

For those looking to organize their playlists there is a "Playlist folder" option that exists.

I usually make a playlist folder of the artist, throw all of their albums within that folder as seperate playlists and when you select the whole artist it sorts it alphabetically.

It requires a bit more manual work but so far my spotify playlists are neatly organized by genre/artist and its made things much better.

Awesome, the lack of playlist organization options was my biggest annoyance with Spotify.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
The thing that I'm finding odd about spotify atm is that on my pc desktop the in program apps work a treat but on my mac laptop they say they aren't installed so I can't access them. I haven't looked into it too much but it seems a little bizarre that they don't work

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
OP is kind of slim. I just downloaded this for the first time and I'm beginning to get the hang of the UI. Is there any tweaks or recommended apps or just general recommendations to a spotify newbie?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Here's the app list I use:

Any Decent Music?
Highlights well-reviewed music from various sources. It's an okay app, but has some repeated content found elsewhere.

Classify
This is my most recently installed app. It's a guide to classical music. You can explore by era, theme, and all sorts of other criteria. I also use Jazzify, which is obviously its counterpart for jazz.

Hype Machine
Culls seemingly random and poorly categorized content from music blogs. I never use this and I don't know why I haven't uninstalled it.

Last.fm
I just use this to keep track of what I listen to for e-peen waving. Occasionally I'll check out their recommendations based on what I listen to, as they're pretty good.

KCRW Music Mine
Highlights eclectic picks from KCRW, a southern California radio station.

MusiXMatch
Lyric generator.

Pitchfork
Pretty good for finding reviews from the well known site of the same name.

Shuffler.fm
Like Hype Machine, this pulls in content from music blogs. I use it more than Hype Machine because there will be occasionally interesting picks.

TuneWiki
Another lyric server.

Tunigo
Was a stand-in while Spotify didn't have a new release listing. This app was bought by Spotify, and now mirrors the official 'Browse' tab. I need to remove this app.

Twitter #Music
Pretty good music finder from Twitter. Has selections from various levels of obscurity and fame.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Imapanda posted:

OP is kind of slim. I just downloaded this for the first time and I'm beginning to get the hang of the UI. Is there any tweaks or recommended apps or just general recommendations to a spotify newbie?

The only one I use is Last.fm, partly out of nostalgia since I used Last.fm itself starting way back in '06 and partly because I'm a dork and like to know who I'm listening to the most. Also sometimes I get drunk and the next day I can look back at what I listened to the night before and go :stare:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Does anyone else have trouble playing Spotify from an Android device to a Bluetooth speaker? The connection drops constantly - I can't tell if it's a Spotify issue or if my speaker is a lemon.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
On spotify there is a song listed as Banger. - Single under Drake but there are no vocals and it doesn't sound like the kind of thing Drake would use. Can anyone clarify the origin of that track?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

There is another artist called "Drake" and this was probably a mix-up.

Treemeister
Oct 15, 2006

HAY GUYS

zakharov posted:

Does anyone else have trouble playing Spotify from an Android device to a Bluetooth speaker? The connection drops constantly - I can't tell if it's a Spotify issue or if my speaker is a lemon.

I listen to Spotify on a crappy blue tooth speaker with no problems. The only issue I've encountered is that the volume will max out after a missed call, but no dropped connections.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

precision posted:

The only one I use is Last.fm, partly out of nostalgia since I used Last.fm itself starting way back in '06 and partly because I'm a dork and like to know who I'm listening to the most. Also sometimes I get drunk and the next day I can look back at what I listened to the night before and go :stare:

You can also check stuff from Spotify's play history. Of course it doesn't show timestamps, but anyways.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Imapanda posted:

You can use folders to organize your playlists. Ctrl+shift+N to make one, or via the menu. Somehow loads of people miss this.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/12/business/media/spotify-said-to-secure-exclusive-deal-with-led-zeppelin.html

Looks like we've finally got Zeppelin :woop:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

gently caress yeah. Now we need pre-Dio era Sabbath and the Beatles. The latter will likely never happen but it's nice to hope for.

Looks like they've begun adding them already. The first and second albums are on there now. The other albums will be released per-day I believe.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 11, 2013

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Rexides posted:

There is another artist called "Drake" and this was probably a mix-up.

Yeah Spotify constantly shoves artists of the same name together. I love getting the "hey some group you like has a new track!" message, and then I play the song and it's not what I expected at all!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

me your dad posted:

gently caress yeah. Now we need pre-Dio era Sabbath and the Beatles. The latter will likely never happen but it's nice to hope for.

Looks like they've begun adding them already. The first and second albums are on there now. The other albums will be released per-day I believe.

You can now listen to one of the greatest rock albums ever made :toot:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I really wish Spotify would hurry up and incorporate the whole music collection thing they've been talking about for about a year and a half. I'm tired of having to create playlists out of albums I listen to regularly.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Seems Spotify got a UI makeover. Its all in black now.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You can also listen to an unlimited amount of music on a tablet or phone with a free account now. You still get ads every couple of songs and mobile devices can only shuffle playlists, but it's still pretty drat nice. Especially since most countries with Spotify don't (didn't?) have a Free account with unlimited listening like the US has.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Charlie Mopps posted:

Seems Spotify got a UI makeover. Its all in black now.

Win32? Android? ? I can't see anything on Windows :(

Edit: I guess I won't be getting the update. 0.98 is latest with much improved color theme and sorely needed larger font, and I'm stuck on 0.96 :emo:

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Dec 18, 2013

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

It's on the Windows and Mac versions, but they're doing their usual dumb "rollout" thing where some users get it before others.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Superanos posted:

It's on the Windows and Mac versions, but they're doing their usual dumb "rollout" thing where some users get it before others.

Is there some way to get the Spotify updated before some algorithm decides I'm eligible for the rollout?

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

illcendiary posted:

I really wish Spotify would hurry up and incorporate the whole music collection thing they've been talking about for about a year and a half. I'm tired of having to create playlists out of albums I listen to regularly.

I just star everything I want to listen to and it goes into my Starred section. Seems to work just like it would on iTunes or whatever.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Spotify android app is generally pretty awesome (if you have Premium anyway) because poo poo yeah my own radio station without even using an internet connection but...

It's really, intensely loving stupid that if you follow someone's Starred tracks and the "un-Star" a song, it doesn't remove it from your device. :psyduck:

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Where did the playlist browsing go? I loved that and it went away with the last update?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Oh who cares about the new UI for the client, here, have a Spotify client that looks like Winamp.

(only premium accounts supported, it was written by a Spotify employee so you can trust it even though it is not officially supported by Spotify)

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW

Rexides posted:

Oh who cares about the new UI for the client, here, have a Spotify client that looks like Winamp.

(only premium accounts supported, it was written by a Spotify employee so you can trust it even though it is not officially supported by Spotify)

Wow, this is beautiful. Thanks for the share!

Now what's all the discussion about the new Spotify update? I haven't gotten it yet, but a new design sounds great.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Rexides posted:

It's also a less resource-intensive than the official Windows client (10MB RAM/0% CPU usage when playing a song as opposed to 125MB/1-3%)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rexides posted:

Holy poo poo, this is amazing. I loving hate how much of a resource hog Spotify is.

Also, the latest patch for the Android app now causes it to sometimes refuse to shut down Spotify unless you restart your phone. :cmon:

• Locked thread