Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
So according to this: http://white-screen.jp/?p=32621:

quote:

The ending – you’ve said publicly that you had a specific ending for Shingeki envisioned from the start. You’re wavering with regard to that?

The plot is pretty loose, there have been new elements added, and some characters have come to life in a really unexpected way.

So the story came to life on its own, and may now get a different ending to the one you had planned from the start?

Right.

That’s a huge change. I read all your interviews to date and I came to think you had some unbelievably traumatic mega-ending all planned out.

I’m at a loss with respect to that. At first it was going to be a traumatic ending. Like in the movie ‘Mist’ where everyone dies, I wanted to do something like that.

Looking at all the fans who have come to support Shingeki by way of the anime, doing a criminal thing like that to them is just not something I can do, so I can’t really think that was what I really wanted in the first place.

Ohhhh…

I’m really lost, aren’t I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Well, from the broken English translation currently out on mangahere, it looks like the priest Hanji tossed around just bit the dust, and there were other infiltrators in the walls even before Reiner and Bertholdt kicked it in.

Oh, and it's nice to finally get to see Historia's history.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 8, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Looking at crunchyroll's page i learned two things: 1) the new chapter isn't out until 4pm Pacific time (boooo), and 2) you can buy digital copies of the past volumes for Kindle now, so that's pretty cool.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

gently caress that

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm really glad Isayama decided to change his mind on that ending because killing every character would've been a good way to just ruin the whole series for me.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

He should have stuck with his original ending. Now I'm worried that the story will take a generic turn and lose some of its quality in the end.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It wouldn't be the first long running series that ends with 'and everyone died', though a lot of them were written by Tomino.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm not sure which is worse, killing off popular characters for no reason other than shock value, or never killing any popular characters at all.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
Welp, this panel from the latest chapter says it all about its translation: http://i.imgur.com/36xysJI.png

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Serious Frolicking posted:

I'm not sure which is worse, killing off popular characters for no reason other than shock value, or never killing any popular characters at all.

Definitely the latter, especially since the former doesn't even make any sense. Jean or Sasha going into battle and getting chomped by a titan wouldn't be completely unexpected, or at least it shouldn't be because fighting titans is supposed to be really loving dangerous.

Bisensual
May 24, 2013

Do you hate me?
When will a decent translation be posted? Around the 14th? I can't remember what it was last time.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Bisensual posted:

When will a decent translation be posted? Around the 14th? I can't remember what it was last time.

The crunchyroll translation goes up in less than three hours, I think.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

There Bias Two posted:

He should have stuck with his original ending. Now I'm worried that the story will take a generic turn and lose some of its quality in the end.
I just hope in the end he isn't pressured to make a generic ending to please fans, and instead does something he feels is totally right for the series. That being said I think it is great that he's aware of his readership.

Also I love the direction this is going. "We'll do both."

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 9, 2013

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
A legal and adequately translated version of Chapter 52 is now up on Crunchyroll: http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics_read/manga?volume_id=273&chapter_num=52

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Hopefully all you fools are just waiting the extra day or two for Crunchy now and not reading the early stuff posted elsewhere anymore. I can't imagine how horribly these past two or three issues were on the Scanlation side.

Historia's background is hosed up in a way that remains perfect to this series. Still, man... poo poo is hosed up.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 9, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Captain Backslap posted:

Hopefully all you fools are just waiting the extra day or two for Crunchy, I can't imagine how horribly these past two or three issues were on the Scanlation side.

Historia's background is hosed up in a way that remains perfect to this series. Still, man... poo poo is hosed up.

Day or two? It's in the post above yours.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Captain Backslap posted:

Hopefully all you fools are just waiting the extra day or two for Crunchy, I can't imagine how horribly these past two or three issues were on the Scanlation side.

It's up on CR, unless it's subscribers only I guess.

His art has improved a lot I think, it's still sketchy and quirky, but he's using shading really well and I really like is linework overall. Some nice expression work too especially in Historia's flashback. And yeah it's really :stonklol:

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
The day or two (or more) was in reference to the scanlation coming out before the official translations on Crunchy. It was not suggesting the Crunchyroll version was still due for a day or two.

Please tell me how I could have written that sentence to be clearer. It's even right after posts about the fact that Crunchrolly was happening today.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 9, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Captain Backslap posted:

The day or two (or more) was in reference to the scanlation coming out before the official translations on Crunchy. It was not suggesting the Crunchyroll version was still due for a day or two.

Please tell me how I could have written that sentence to be clearer. It's even right after posts about the fact that Crunchrolly was happening today.

Change "are" to "were" :shobon:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So Christa knows nothing then?

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

a kitten posted:

Change "are" to "were" :shobon:
There, I made the sentence better. Your suggestion would not have been correct because it addressed past, present, and future behavior all in a single sentence.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 9, 2013

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

RatHat posted:

The chapter was so tragic, but tt seems like she knows nothing, but is related to someone very important. Therefore, she was just a large bargaining chip for other factions among the humans or human-titans.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

RatHat posted:

I get the impression she's not done with the flashback yet.

Seriously hosed up all around. Zoe mentions that the corps might split in two; is that a reference to discontent in the MP (people like Marlow I'm guessing) or that Erwin doesn't have as firm a grasp on the Survey Corps as we thought?

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Autumncomet posted:

I get the impression she's not done with the flashback yet.

Seriously hosed up all around. Zoe mentions that the corps might split in two; is that a reference to discontent in the MP (people like Marlow I'm guessing) or that Erwin doesn't have as firm a grasp on the Survey Corps as we thought?

I got the sense that it was the MP might be having internal tension.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I think it's safe to say at this point that there is something really loving important in Eren's basement, and it's not just about the Titans.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

She doesn't know anything, but she knows that her father knows something.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
poo poo now I gotta pick up all these fingernails for my fingernail collection again, great. Thanks, rear end in a top hat

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Aww, poor Historia. So she's basically the illegitimate child of a mistress, and is treated as nothing more than human garbage. I hate seeing child abuse, it's just so sad. :smith: That lord dude had better get eaten by a Titan or I'm gonna be pissed!

redneck sushi
Aug 5, 2013
I don't have access to the Crunchy Roll translations and all the fan translations I've seen so far are terrible, absolutely terrible. I have no idea what's going on :(

doyle-san
Feb 25, 2001

"This changes nothing."

redneck sushi posted:

I don't have access to the Crunchy Roll translations and all the fan translations I've seen so far are terrible, absolutely terrible. I have no idea what's going on :(

Spend 12 dollars.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I'm suddenly glad I went ahead and splurged on the all access Crunchyroll pass during the Black Friday sale. I very nearly just bought the anime pass but the store credit won me over.

The story definitely feels like it's building up for a big reveal now, but then again it's done that before.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I believe the latest chapter is free on crunchyroll anyways. You only need an account for older chapters.

redneck sushi
Aug 5, 2013

doyle-san posted:

Spend 12 dollars.

The CR manga option is not available in my country. It's all blank pages.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

He may not live in an appropriate country. You could try using media hint or hola and access the free version with ads though.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Allarion posted:

I believe the latest chapter is free on crunchyroll anyways. You only need an account for older chapters.

This is true.

doyle-san
Feb 25, 2001

"This changes nothing."

redneck sushi posted:

The CR manga option is not available in my country. It's all blank pages.

I withdraw my comment.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
"We go outside before we're stabbed in the back, or we exterminate whoever wants to stab us in the back, then go outside." "We'll do both at the same time." More fuel for the argument about fascism, I guess. :v:

More seriously, Historia's backstory is really :smith:.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Silver2195 posted:

"We go outside before we're stabbed in the back, or we exterminate whoever wants to stab us in the back, then go outside." "We'll do both at the same time." More fuel for the argument about fascism, I guess. :v:

What does that mean, though, doing both at once? That line was really confusing.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

DrSunshine posted:

What does that mean, though, doing both at once? That line was really confusing.

They'll do lower key experimentation while at the same time looking for an opportunity to strike at their political opponents. As opposed to immediately running an operation to secure Wall Maria or keeping Erin completely under wraps until they're sure he's safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

DrSunshine posted:

She has a plan to do both.

She wants them to collect the 108 Stars of Destiny. Erin has the True Titan Rune. If you get all 108, Mikasa survives the story.