Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Cantide posted:

The misadventures of Jar Jar Binks and how he created the Empire.
I am not joking.

There's a quote I saw several years ago (probably here on SA) that explains this.

So all the clones (including Boba) are clones of Jango Fett, a man so dangerous, he can take on jedi and win.

The clones are shown on screen as being roughly on par with the droid armies.

Jar Jar Binks takes out legions of droids in TPM just by being comic relief.

Jar Jar Binks is the most powerful being in the Star Wars universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Again...

quote:

You can say "it was supposed to be hectic," but it completely failed at eliciting any emotion besides, "what the hell" with that.

..."hectic" is not mutually exclusive from "engaging." This whole conversation is basically some people explaining why they don't find something enjoyable (which is mostly to do with form/construction) and people countering with "but it meant this." The RLM review is basically all about how the details of how the films were constructed on a technical level make them completely un-engaging experiences (and contrast movies with similar themes that were able to do BOTH, and show why). "It means" is not an acceptable response to that.

For another example, having Obi Wan and Anakin fight each other with blue lightsabers at the end of the movie is acceptable from a thematic standpoint, but on an aesthetic level, it is not as engaging as if the lightsabers contrasted, and actually takes "feeling" away from the fight while doing so. However, if, say, they had complimentary CLOTHING color choices with one major visual distinction, the same thing would be said, while providing the visual aesthetic of clashing lightsaber colors that worked so well in Episodes 1/4/5/6. Especially since lightsabers make a better direct extension of emotion.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
You're welcome not to enjoy a thing, but there's nothing wrong with other people explaining why that thing had merit and meaning.

Some people actually did engage with the 'completely un-engaging experiences'.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I feel the prequels can be addressed in two separate ways their technical production merits and the actual story lines

Clearly, their technical production is awful, the CGI doesn't age well, the acting is wooden, and the sets are like Xbox games, the lighting is often Joss Whedon levels of TV-bad. Dialogue scenes are just characters sitting down, talking, standing up, going to a window, looking over their shoulder while blandly reading lines of dialogue. I don't think people really will argue with that.

The story, however, is worth discussing because whether or not you like the PT, they happened and provide context for the OT. I'd agree with the idea that Lucas has no idea why the OT worked so well, (even if he is the god of the universe) because of the insertion of midichlorians in TPM. He started down a path to demystify the force and wrap it in science which on that grounds alone proves that he doesn't really understand the appeal of the Star Wars universe. However, death of the author and all that could point to the fact that the Jedi themselves didn't really get the force either and they were trying to wrap it in science and quantify it themselves too.

Essentially, you can bundle up all the bizarrely weird and bad Lucas story elements and incongruous PT and OT threads into a package that they are perfectly representing the Jedi being failures and retarded, but the truth is that Lucas is just a poor story teller. However, it's perfectly fine to ignore Lucas in the discussions and engage in an interesting meaningful analysis of the movies themselves.

TLDR:

here's a lightsaber blaster I designed when I was twelve:

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax

Hbomberguy posted:

If the prequels give you a strange, awkward feeling, chances are Lucas wants you to feel that way.
They give me an intense yearning for the straightforward swashbuckling of the OT, and frustration that I'm being given so little to enjoy on its own merits. Is that Lucas's intent? Is it any better if it is?

Say the prequel trilogy really is a grand, meta satire. What could the films have done differently in order to break the spell of the OT and get more viewers to appreciate that satire?

edit: wrote prequels instead of OT

Ave Azaria fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 9, 2013

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Ave Azaria posted:

Say the prequel trilogy really is a grand, meta satire. What could the films have done differently in order to break the spell the prequels and get more viewers to appreciate that satire?

Have them be directed by Mel Brooks.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'd agree with the idea that Lucas has no idea why the OT worked so well, (even if he is the god of the universe) because of the insertion of midichlorians in TPM. He started down a path to demystify the force and wrap it in science which on that grounds alone proves that he doesn't really understand the appeal of the Star Wars universe. However, death of the author and all that could point to the fact that the Jedi themselves didn't really get the force either and they were trying to wrap it in science and quantify it themselves too.

I've read (in the Secret History of Star Wars book) that the real reason that midichlorians were introduced was simply so that Anakin could be objectively demonstrated to be really strong in the force. Lucas thought he needed this because with the way he had written up the Jedi Order, he couldn't think of any other way they could be convinced to allow Anakin to be trained. He didn't intend to demystify the force, it was just a quick story patch.

It's actually kind of fascinating to read how many of the things that got people so outraged were simply story fixes that Lucas didn't think through the implications of. In particular, the contortions that they went through to attempt to resolve the tangled storylines created by the repeated revisions to Skywalker family history are just nuts. For the longest time, Lucas was going to have Uncle Owen turn out to be Obi-Wan's brother and an impostor.

Which kind of does lend more weight to the Death of the Author argument. If we're going by authorial intent, why should we consider these things any more important than Lucas did?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

INH5 posted:

He didn't intend to demystify the force, it was just a quick story patch.

Which lends credence to my statement that the prequels are, from a film-making perspective, terrible films. Lucas shot them all from a rough draft, with the proper treatment to work them into decent scripts. The introduction of midichlorians immediately makes no sense to most people that are familiar with the mythos of Star Wars, yet the creator gives them no thought at all. Had he taken another couple months, or passed the scripts on to a different writer, maybe these ideas would have been fleshed out and made workable.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

It's also kinda weird because you also do this death of the author thing while still ascribing it to Lucas - Lucas didn't want you to think Obi Wan was stupid he's just notoriously bad at writing human beings (and directing them). You're giving the man a lot more credit than he should get, and seem completely unaware of how awful accepting that prequel nonsense makes the characters in the original trilogy. Luke still listens to Yoda in the end. He doesn't say you must kill Vader - he says you must confront Vader which is what Luke does.

This is from a couple pages back but I noticed you harping on this point that Yoda doesn't say Luke must kill Vader and I think there's something interesting that you missed. You're right that Yoda says Luke must confront Vader, so it's ambiguous whether Yoda thinks Luke needs to kill Vader; however, Obi-Wan clearly does think that Luke needs to kill Vader. When Luke says "I can't kill my own father," (ghost) Obi-Wan says, "Then the Emperor has already won."

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Vogon Poet posted:

This is from a couple pages back but I noticed you harping on this point that Yoda doesn't say Luke must kill Vader and I think there's something interesting that you missed. You're right that Yoda says Luke must confront Vader, so it's ambiguous whether Yoda thinks Luke needs to kill Vader; however, Obi-Wan clearly does think that Luke needs to kill Vader. When Luke says "I can't kill my own father," (ghost) Obi-Wan says, "Then the Emperor has already won."

Yeah, I agree with this. Obi-wan and Yoda are shown as not having the best relationship. Yoda doesn't want to train Luke, and Obi-wan of sasses him, basically calling him senile. Obi-wan was always shown having an agenda by lying to Luke. However, comically enough, the lies Obi-wans tells are all also due to Lucas' poor writing and changing direct from movie to movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

but the truth is that Lucas is just a poor story teller.

No, that's your opinion. Normally the distinction goes without saying but I feel it gets lost when talking about certain films and filmmakers.

Single and LOVING IT
Apr 4, 2004
The monkeys are coming. . .

Cheesus posted:

I've always defended the prequels but you've hit one of the few instances where I was incredibly disappointed.

What you've describe ac necessary to explain Yoda's change was a scene written and "filmed" (pre-visualized, minimally rendered), missing largely only a voiceover from Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon. It also explains the subsequent scene where Yoda tells Obi-Wan how to talk to Qui-Gon.

I can't think of any movie-based justification for removing it and its removal completely supports what you're saying about off-screen explanations harming how the movie works (by pissing people off).

Wow, that's really interesting to hear. I'm shocked it got so far into being produced without making it into the movie somehow, or even as a 'deleted scene'. I wonder if it was largely because they couldn't convince Liam Neeson to do the voiceover work (could be wrong, but I thought it was that he just didn't want to do it, and it wasn't just scheduling).

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

INH5 posted:

the real reason that midichlorians were introduced was simply so that Anakin could be objectively demonstrated to be really strong in the force. Lucas thought he needed this because with the way he had written up the Jedi Order, he couldn't think of any other way they could be convinced to allow Anakin to be trained. He didn't intend to demystify the force, it was just a quick story patch.

Think about this a second.

He didn't intend to demystify the force, he only intended to write the old Jedi as a group that relies primarily on objective scientific measurements, and would not be able recognize their religion's equivalent of the resurrected Christ without the help of a portable blood-scanning device.

This is as bad with inference as when Obi Wan looked at a map and wondered how a whole planet could disappear. "What is this? A solar system for ants?!"

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

He didn't intend to demystify the force, he only intended to write the old Jedi as a group that relies primarily on objective scientific measurements, and would not be able recognize their religion's equivalent of the resurrected Christ without the help of a portable blood-scanning device.

This is as bad with inference as when Obi Wan looked at a map and wondered how a whole planet could disappear. "What is this? A solar system for ants?!"

I don't think you understand what intent means. I mean it's totally valid and cool to read it that way but it wasn't what Lucas intended as the person you quoted said. You should have mentioned the librarian instead of Obi Wan though.

Plus the fact the guys who disagreed with the blood test about their Jesus and used the Force were right.

Maxwell Lord posted:

No, that's your opinion. Normally the distinction goes without saying but I feel it gets lost when talking about certain films and filmmakers.

Does everyone have to qualify a statement with "I think" or "generally regarded as"? It's funny anyone would quibble with someone saying Lucas is a poor weaver of tales.

Lets! Get! Weird! fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 9, 2013

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I don't think you understand what intent means. I mean it's totally valid and cool to read it that way but it wasn't what Lucas intended as the person you quoted said. You should have mentioned the librarian instead of Obi Wan though.

The guy said that Lucas thought he needed this because of "the way he had written up the Jedi Order." If the Jedi Order was being written such that they needed something where "Anakin could be objectively demonstrated to be really strong in the force," then that's saying that the Jedi Order is losing/has lost their connection to the force as a mystical essence. Note that Palpatine doesn't need a blood test, he can just sense that Anakin is strong in the force. In the OT, Vader is able to sense this in Luke while they're in separate spaceships. But Lucas felt that the Jedi Order, as they were in the prequels, needed something different.

Does everyone have to qualify a statement with "I think" or "generally regarded as"? It's funny anyone would quibble with someone saying Lucas is a poor weaver of tales.

Not everything needs to be qualified with "I think," but some things shouldn't be stated as "the truth is...".

And, yeah, George Lucas made Star Wars. It's reasonable to quibble with someone saying he's a bad storyteller.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 9, 2013

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
This was neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgICnbC2-_Y

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
I've been lurking this thread for a while and am genuinely shocked that people are arguing that the prequels had any good elements, let alone that they could be called good films. Even if they weren't trying to tie in with OT they'd be three boring, blandly shot films. I'm really wondering how old the people defending them are because I'm 26 and even at 12 years old I hated TPM.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Action Serious posted:

I've been lurking this thread for a while and am genuinely shocked that people are arguing that the prequels had any good elements, let alone that they could be called good films.

Ok.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Counterpoint: I saw Phantom Menace when I was 8 and loved the hell out of it. There's something to be said for appealing to the kids in the audience. Shame the appeal wasn't as universal as the OT's

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Think about this a second.

Ben Stiller would have owned as Obi Wan, he would have done that expression with his face when Anakin did something dumb and everyone would have laughed.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Do you think there's any merit to the idea that if the OT were released today they'd be panned? There's no way we can know for sure, of course, but I can't imagine a film like ROTJ being released today not being savaged on the internet. "Teddy Bears defeat the best of the Empire? BS!".

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

redshirt posted:

Do you think there's any merit to the idea that if the OT were released today they'd be panned? There's no way we can know for sure, of course, but I can't imagine a film like ROTJ being released today not being savaged on the internet. "Teddy Bears defeat the best of the Empire? BS!".

So many films rip off conventions started by star wars that asking this question creates a time paradox

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

redshirt posted:

That hypothetical has the problem that the original Star Wars had such a huge impact that, had it not been released when it was, the current state of Hollywood as well as pop culture in general would be very different than what it is now. So you'd need to do some alternate history writing and describe the actual context of this universe in order to answer that question.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rita Repulsa posted:

So many films rip off conventions started by star wars that asking this question creates a time paradox

Or you could just look at John Carter and see how the granddaddy of Sci-Fi faired (hint: poorly).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I haven't read the whole thread but have people seen Siskel and Ebert defending Star Wars? It's funny hearing the same complaints about the OT as the new ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky9-eIlHzAE

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
e: nvm

Baronash fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 10, 2013

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Rita Repulsa posted:

This- we'd be dealing with an entirely different film industry. (The studios would probably have worked out some kind of "blockbuster" idea, but beyond that...)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I ask the question only because it seems we, the audience, are more likely to be critical today than audiences in the past. Mainly because of the Internet.

The PT is constructed in much the same way as the OT - as a kid's movie, mainly - but the same techniques used in the OT are critically panned in the PT.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I know someone said if Prometheus was released in 1979 and Alien was released in 2012 Prometheus would be seen as the hugely innovative movie while Alien would just be a slasher movie with old people.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Corek posted:

I know someone said if Prometheus was released in 1979 and Alien was released in 2012 Prometheus would be seen as the hugely innovative movie while Alien would just be a slasher movie with old people.

I imagine people would have been especially impressed by the special effects from 33 years in the future.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

INH5 posted:

I imagine people would have been especially impressed by the special effects from 33 years in the future.

I'm assuming it would just be a grey-painted guy on greenscreen. Kind of like Klaatu.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

redshirt posted:

I ask the question only because it seems we, the audience, are more likely to be critical today than audiences in the past. Mainly because of the Internet.

The PT is constructed in much the same way as the OT - as a kid's movie, mainly - but the same techniques used in the OT are critically panned in the PT.

It's not that audiences are more critical necessarily, it's that things that were novel are kind of boring these days because it's been done so much.

Again, look at John Carter.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

People are products of their times when movies attempt to be timeless. The question of how people would see a movie if it was released at a different time says a lot about how fallible and overopinionated people can be, we should try to just enjoy stories for whatever they are.

I liked John Carter.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Hbomberguy posted:

I liked John Carter.

What did you like about it? (honest question)

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

redshirt posted:

I didn't find a source for it in my very brief search, but I seem to remember reading that RotJ was the worst reviewed of the six movies when looking at reviews upon original release.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
While I think most people would agree that the prequels were failures on some level, I think they're failures of execution and not of vision. We could easily have ended up with something really safe and crowd-pleasing like we're likely to have with the upcoming sequel trilogy, but Lucas instead aimed for something a lot more downbeat at its root and full of kind of bizarre moments. It's not a ton fun to watch, but I'm still kind of glad the PT exists.

Wonderful Bread
Nov 11, 2013

Frackie Robinson posted:

While I think most people would agree that the prequels were failures on some level, I think they're failures of execution and not of vision. We could easily have ended up with something really safe and crowd-pleasing like we're likely to have with the upcoming sequel trilogy, but Lucas instead aimed for something a lot more downbeat at its root and full of kind of bizarre moments. It's not a ton fun to watch, but I'm still kind of glad the PT exists.

Most of the problems with the prequel trilogy stemmed directly from Lucas trying to create a "crowd-pleaser". Terrible writing and directing aside, the films were desperately PG and filled beyond the brim with fan service.

The only thing I really enjoyed about the prequel trilogy was how well the lightsaber combat was choreographed in The Phantom Menace.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Lord Krangdar posted:

What did you like about it? (honest question)

The comedy scenes were good, it had a sense of humour to it that I quite liked, the conversation that kept getting interrupted by attempts at escape was fantastic. Also visually it was great, it was very good at creating an alien environment and even the completely CGI characters had life to them. It did a good job of adapting the pulpy nature of the books, although it carried over the aspects of the overarcing story it didn't need to and messed with Carter's character somewhat. I enjoyed it. Obviously not a perfect movie, but like the prequels it just does something for me that makes up for it.

EDIT: VVV No, you see the point is the fights are ridiculous and overchoreographed. The Jedi are such elaborate over-the-top fighters that they are no longer even practical at it and you could probably just walk up and stab them while they dance around in circles. (I am mostly joking, that video's great)

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 10, 2013

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Wonderful Bread posted:

The only thing I really enjoyed about the prequel trilogy was how well the lightsaber combat was choreographed in The Phantom Menace.

I suppose that purely from a choreography standpoint, the prequels had some decent fight scenes.

This video is worth a watch though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0mUVY9fLlw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

JohnSherman posted:

I suppose that purely from a choreography standpoint, the prequels had some decent fight scenes.

This video is worth a watch though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0mUVY9fLlw

Yeah, those fights were actually terrible, but at least they weren't that one in RotS. You know the one.

• Locked thread