Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ghostpilot posted:

I was rewatching the latest OSW Review in which they go into the history of WCW and it got me wondering: who made out the best from the whole WCW fiasco? Many folks made great money while there, but I can't think of anyone that really came out of it especially well aside from maybe DDP, Savage and Hogan (before he lost it all).

Nash made a tremendous amount of money there, often doing very little. Goldberg made $3 million per year in 2001 and 2002 doing absolutely nothing and Sting ended up pretty well too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Thauros posted:

Is there any reason why Guerrero's name was consistently spelled Eddy in WCW and Eddie in WWE?

Usual Vince bullshit, wanted to Americanize him.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

jeffersonlives posted:

Usual Vince bullshit, wanted to Americanize him.

Eddie is more American than Eddy?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Eddie is more American than Eddy?

You are actually trying to make sense of Vince Logic?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

epitasis posted:

What are you asking, who made a lot of money? I mean Goldberg made more than DDP, at least. Nash made a shitload. Who was kayfabe protected by the end?

Oh sorry, I'd meant financially. I don't think anybody really came out of that looking good.

MassRafTer posted:

Nash made a tremendous amount of money there, often doing very little. Goldberg made $3 million per year in 2001 and 2002 doing absolutely nothing and Sting ended up pretty well too.

Oh yeah, Goldberg slipped my mind for some reason. With Sting and Nash ending up on TNA in recent years I thought that maybe it was due to financial reasons (as there had always been the assertion that Nash was only in it for the money).

Thanks!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Nash never needs to work again. He saved his cash and owns a lot of rental properties. He just likes showing up and making easy money. He also loves the business, despite popular opinion.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ghostpilot posted:

Oh sorry, I'd meant financially. I don't think anybody really came out of that looking good.

Oh yeah, Goldberg slipped my mind for some reason. With Sting and Nash ending up on TNA in recent years I thought that maybe it was due to financial reasons (as there had always been the assertion that Nash was only in it for the money).

Thanks!

Sting gets paid half a million a year to do very little work, he does it because money is cool, but better when he still gets to be lazy. I think Nash is financially secure and either likes making more money, performing or getting out of jobs too much to stop now.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Also, I meant to link this back when I first saw it, but here are a bunch of pictures of old Survivor Series teams. Kind of a shame that they don't do these anymore. Some of the teams there are :psyduck: with some that we never actually see.

Also provides good perspective at just how enormous Andre the Giant was.

Although the unfortunate placement of Greg the Hammer Valentine's guitar conjures some horrible mental images. :gonk:

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Ghostpilot posted:

I was rewatching the latest OSW Review in which they go into the history of WCW and it got me wondering: who made out the best from the whole WCW fiasco? Many folks made great money while there, but I can't think of anyone that really came out of it especially well aside from maybe DDP, Savage and Hogan (before he lost it all).

My opinion only, but I think Jericho probably came out the best. Financially, he got a good deal with WWE to jump ship during the Monday Night War and stuck around for a long time making bank. Kayfabe-wise, he's usually been treated as an upper-tier guy, despite the rough start in WWE. And health-wise, he can still move and hasn't been concussed into mush. He gets to play in his lovely vanity band now, too. Dude's got a pretty great life for a former WCW midcarder.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sting has a pretty successful real estate career too, right? I recall a few years back they brought in a celebrity guest for a little bit, a guy who lived in the same city as Sting. When he saw Sting, he recognized him not as Sting, but "Real Estate Steve" from his hometown.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

LividLiquid posted:

Nash never needs to work again. He saved his cash and owns a lot of rental properties. He just likes showing up and making easy money. He also loves the business, despite popular opinion.

I mean, if there was a business where I could show up, barely do anything, not be very good at the things I DID do, and still make a buttload of money I'm sure I'd love it too.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

Yeah, Nash is a pretty smart guy and has all sorts of investments. There was a good interview with him on Grantland last year that went a little bit into his mindset. He's really preoccupied with money (to an almost unhealthy extent), so he takes easy checks when he can get them.

quote:

Still, it's hard for Kevin Nash to turn down a paycheck. "I'm a Detroit kid who grew up with that assembly line mentality: You go to work to make money," he says. "My wife is like, 'Why do you still wrestle?' If you go to an ATM for a hundred dollars and it keeps spitting twenties, when would you walk away? When it wasn't spitting twenties no more. As long as you can take the money out, you'd stay there. That's what the wrestling business is like."

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Ghostpilot posted:

Also, I meant to link this back when I first saw it, but here are a bunch of pictures of old Survivor Series teams. Kind of a shame that they don't do these anymore. Some of the teams there are :psyduck: with some that we never actually see.

It's like The Big Boss Man never wore a hat before.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Scott Hall got millions on his guaranteed deal and wasn't around for huge amounts of time right? I guess he wouldn't get PPV bonuses or whatever but still got a good chunk of merch?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Is there a consensus on Verne Gagne as a wrestler? I read that Harley Race thought he was poo poo in the ring, but I watched a few of his matches and was very entertained by his style. I remember Jake saying that he didn't like working with Dory Funk Jr. because his style was too slow, and I wonder if it was just a case of Verne not adapting to match the style that was emerging in the television era.

(If anyone has anything to say about the evolution from mat wrestling to the kind of brawling style that Race and Flair made famous in the 70s, I'm very interested in that.)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

Yeah, Nash is a pretty smart guy and has all sorts of investments. There was a good interview with him on Grantland last year that went a little bit into his mindset. He's really preoccupied with money (to an almost unhealthy extent), so he takes easy checks when he can get them.

Kevin Nash gets wrestling.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

"People pay to see giant superheroes, not 6 foot nothing flippydoos! My best friend is Shawn Michaels!"

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Is there a consensus on Verne Gagne as a wrestler? I read that Harley Race thought he was poo poo in the ring, but I watched a few of his matches and was very entertained by his style. I remember Jake saying that he didn't like working with Dory Funk Jr. because his style was too slow, and I wonder if it was just a case of Verne not adapting to match the style that was emerging in the television era.

(If anyone has anything to say about the evolution from mat wrestling to the kind of brawling style that Race and Flair made famous in the 70s, I'm very interested in that.)

Well, he won a literal death match at age 83 :v:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Joeslop posted:

Well, he won a literal death match at age 83 :v:

It's funny because Verne has murdered at least half as many humans as Chris Benoit. That's the joke.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

This post has really made me want to watch the AWA documentary the WWE put out a little while ago. And I haven't seen much of Verne, to be honest, but I'm interested to see what people think of him.

The AWA library has some really cool stuff, and I hope the WWE Network shares a lot of it. I was introduced to it via a pile of tapes as a kid, because of Sgt. Slaughter, whom I knew from GI Joe. It didn't really stick with me until I came back to the tapes in the mid-90s, and loved the Hennig and Martel stuff. They also had some pretty good villains (Bockwinkel, Regal, etc.), too. Looking back, Sarge was a decent brawler, but really, he was perfect as the host of the "Monsters of the Mat" show, or whatever it was called. I also don't see why anybody really liked Larry Zybyszko (or however you spell it), either.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
He had nunchuks.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Has any two wrestlers just gone off script and had an amazing/horrid match on live tv?

If so what was the consequence?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Manwithastick posted:

Has any two wrestlers just gone off script and had an amazing/horrid match on live tv?

Does HBK vs Hogan count?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Manwithastick posted:

One time Goldberg and Lesnar had a bad match at Mania 20 then quit and the consequence was no one but Cena got pushed well for years.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Manwithastick posted:

Shawn Michaels and John Cena went like 45 minutes on Raw once because Randy Orton, who was scheduled for something on the show, was sent home from the tour for his then-frequent discipline problems. The result was pretty good, if overrated (I can't think of any Michaels/Cena matches that were that good).

Great Sasuke and Dirt Bike Kid had a match where DBK was being a huge moron in a variety of ways. So instead of having a match, Sasuke destroyed him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBtTeNoSYro

Things like this have happened a few times in Japanese wrestling, which is more shooty.

Going off-script is the #1 way to get fired and burn all bridges in a wrestling promotion, so it's not done often.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Manwithastick posted:

Regal's match with Goldberg in WCW comes to mind. He was supposed to get the usual squash treatment, but was uncooperative and stiff during the match. The match didn't really turn out amazing or horrid, just kind of awkward, though you can tell it's not going as planned. Supposedly it's what caused Regal to be fired from WCW, but I don't know if that's actually true or not.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Great Sasuke and Dirt Bike Kid had a match where DBK was being a huge moron in a variety of ways. So instead of having a match, Sasuke destroyed him.

Sasuke loving SCARES me. As well as shooting on DBK as demonstrated, the guy seems to have no pain threshold. He's wrestled through a cracked skull TWICE.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Manwithastick posted:

The Great Antonio no-sold and stiffed Antonio Inoki until Inoki shot on him and ended the match by stomping his face into the canvas.

I just know there was a deliberately poo poo match between two cruiserweights in WCW who were told not to wear the crowd out before the main event, but damned if I remember who. I think either Malenko, Eddie, or Jericho was involved.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 9, 2013

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Behold Kane and Big Show having an impromptu scientific wrestling match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjHpnoCag-g

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Dusty Rhodes was fired for telling the Road Warriors to blade him, but that would've been a good match regardless. Dustin Rhodes was fired from WCW for blading in the King of the Road Match with Darsow, but that would've been a poo poo match regardless.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Behold Kane and Big Show having an impromptu scientific wrestling match.

Jim Ross makes this match by not even attempting to hide his surprise.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

I just know there was a deliberately poo poo match between two cruiserweights in WCW who were told not to wear the crowd out before the main event, but damned if I remember who. I think either Malenko, Eddie, or Jericho was involved.

Masahiro Chono ans Ravishing Rick Rude were told to do this to not make the main event look bad, so they went out and had one of the worst matches in history.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x16t5tm_masahiro-chono-vs-ravishing-rick-rude-nwa-title-part-1_sport

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Remember the Wrestlemania song that was used throughout the 90s? Is there any reason why Mean Gene and Piper are yelling about the Survivor Series at the beginning?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Masahiro Chono ans Ravishing Rick Rude were told to do this to not make the main event look bad, so they went out and had one of the worst matches in history.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x16t5tm_masahiro-chono-vs-ravishing-rick-rude-nwa-title-part-1_sport
Yes! That's it!

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

Regal's match with Goldberg in WCW comes to mind. He was supposed to get the usual squash treatment, but was uncooperative and stiff during the match. The match didn't really turn out amazing or horrid, just kind of awkward, though you can tell it's not going as planned. Supposedly it's what caused Regal to be fired from WCW, but I don't know if that's actually true or not.
According to Regal, he and Goldberg were told they were going to have a six minute match, and Goldberg had no idea how to work that long or how to sell anything. Regal took responsibility for it, but it wasn't because either of them had an attitude problem.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Manwithastick posted:

So, at SuperBrawl V, Paul Roma and Alex Wright were slotted in the opening match. Roma was Roma, at this point, after having already failed as a Horseman, and doing ... not... awful in a tag team with Paul Ordorff ('Pretty Wonderful'). Wright was new, and WCW wanted to give him a shot. So, the plan was for Roma to make Wright look good.

Instead, Roma dragged him through the match, and did everything he could to make himself look good, and make Wright look like crap. He kicked out of everything, not even giving Wright a one-count. Finally, Orndorff had a "meeting" with Roma outside the ring, Roma got back in, and got rolled up by Wright to end the thing.

Roma was fired soon after, although, Wright and some other people have denied it was for that match (It was probably because Paul Roma is a huge moron, and that wasn't his first offense). Roma got a tryout match with the WWF several years later, but he blew that by doing something stupid I can't remember.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Remember the Wrestlemania song that was used throughout the 90s? Is there any reason why Mean Gene and Piper are yelling about the Survivor Series at the beginning?

If that's the one off Wrestlemania: The Album, it's because it was produced by Simon Cowell and some other Brits who didn't know anything about wrestling. They were given a list of WWF terms or something, and just threw poo poo together from there.

Why no-one spoke up or adjusted anything... well that's a question I can't answer.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

triplexpac posted:

If that's the one off Wrestlemania: The Album, it's because it was produced by Simon Cowell and some other Brits who didn't know anything about wrestling. They were given a list of WWF terms or something, and just threw poo poo together from there.

Why no-one spoke up or adjusted anything... well that's a question I can't answer.

Yeah, it's only on the actual album. Anytime they played it at a Wrestlemania or in segments leading up to one, they cut that part out.

That album is one of the most wonderful things wrestling has ever produced. My personal favorite would have to be "Speaking from the Heart" by Macho Man.

"The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, funky like a monkey, OOOOOOOOOHHH YEEEEEEEEAAAAHH!!"

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Tatanka's song was some of the most :effort: songwriting I've ever heard, topped off by the fact that they titled it "Tatanka Native American".

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Diabolik900 posted:

Tatanka's song was some of the most :effort: songwriting I've ever heard, topped off by the fact that they titled it "Tatanka Native American".

That's the one that goes "TATANKA! BUFFALO! TATANKA! BUFFALO! TATANKA! BUFFALO! TATANKA! BUFFALO!" followed by "I've got Native American blood in my veins and I fight! In the World Wrestling Federation!"

Repeat, repeat. And that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Wasn't "I wanna be a Hulkamaniac" on that album? Cause that song is garbage. Not even fun garbage like Real American or literal perfection like Grab Them Cakes.