Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Tanith posted:

Are you supposed to cross your eyes when you watch these?
No, it's showing the two things that each eye on the Rift would show - it doesn't actually work in 3d.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

TychoCelchuuu posted:

No, it's showing the two things that each eye on the Rift would show - it doesn't actually work in 3d.

It does if you cross your eyes, actually.

Amarretto Christ
Jan 26, 2009

Believe: Humanzee's Exist
Am I an rear end in a top hat because I tried to watch it with my eyes crossed? I think so...

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad
I actually just played it on my smartphone with the screen about an inch away from my eyes. It's blurry as gently caress, but it works. Holy poo poo. I need to go find some other Rift videos.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Kiavahr posted:

It's blurry as gently caress, but it works. Holy poo poo. I need to go find some other Rift videos.

Nah, you're getting the accurate experience alright.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

It makes me so god damned cross that I'll never, ever be able to see the 3D you all do for this game. :sigh:

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

It makes me so god damned cross that I'll never, ever be able to see the 3D you all do for this game. :sigh:

Same, I'm a bit walleyed so 3d gives me a splitting headache, but I'm sure the game will be just as fun without it :)

Amarretto Christ
Jan 26, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

It makes me so god damned cross that I'll never, ever be able to see the 3D you all do for this game puke all over my keyboard. :sigh:

Fixed. For one reason or another I'm not really fond of 3D. Similarly, I loving despise Blu-Ray.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
3D movies suck and it' just blurry poo poo for me too. The rift on the other hand is literally a screen for each eye with fisheye effect completely dominating your field of view. It's finally virtual reality and I'm extremely pumped and it's currently taking all my willpower to not buy a development kit just to play games with it and not actually use it for testing and development.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Amarretto Christ posted:

Fixed. For one reason or another I'm not really fond of 3D. Similarly, I loving despise Blu-Ray.

What's similar about Blu-ray and 3D? Blu-ray is just a way to store data on a disc.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Amarretto Christ posted:

Similarly, I loving despise Blu-Ray.

You hate high bitrates? :???:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Zsinjeh posted:

3D movies suck and it' just blurry poo poo for me too. The rift on the other hand is literally a screen for each eye with fisheye effect completely dominating your field of view. It's finally virtual reality and I'm extremely pumped and it's currently taking all my willpower to not buy a development kit just to play games with it and not actually use it for testing and development.

Aaargh. :cry:

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

May I ask what you have that won't let the Rift work for you?
e: Even if you're blind in one eye I think it should work to at least immerse you with it's head tracking and complete field of vision etc..

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Zsinjeh posted:

May I ask what you have that won't let the Rift work for you?
e: Even if you're blind in one eye I think it should work to at least immerse you with it's head tracking and complete field of vision etc..

I was born with a lazy left eye and it didn't get corrected (read: kid me hated those patches) and ended up amblyopic and stereoblind, so I've only got inferential depth perception techniques like parallax to go by. Makes trying to take a left turn at night without a stoplight suck total rear end, I tell you what! :v:

Normally the left eye is effectively "off" (it's not, really, but it's like trying to explain color to someone blind from birth, so vOv), but with the Rift it wouldn't have a choice. My guess would be the two disparate images would refuse to combine and I'd get a violent fucker of a headache, so the immersion part would be a bust too. But I'd love to find out for sure!

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 30, 2013

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I was born with a lazy left eye and it didn't get corrected (read: kid me hated those patches) and ended up amblyopic and stereoblind, so I've only got inferential depth perception techniques like parallax to go by. Makes trying to take a left turn at night without a stoplight suck total rear end, I tell you what! :v:

Normally the left eye is effectively "off" (it's not, really, but it's like trying to explain color to someone blind from birth, so vOv), but with the Rift it wouldn't have a choice. My guess would be the two disparate images would refuse to combine and I'd get a violent fucker of a headache, so the immersion part would be a bust too. But I'd love to find out for sure!
I see what you mean with lack of 3D, but it would definitely still be interesting to see how it would work for you with a rift. From what I understand the biggest part of 'fooling' your brain is the quick head tracking and how smooth it responds. Especially since the resolution is so bad in the devkit that making out detail is pretty much impossible.

e: If nothing else, covering your left eye and using as normal should still give you the visual that you have in real life with one eye, since it's literally on top of your eye.

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 30, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Zsinjeh posted:

I see what you mean with lack of 3D, but it would definitely still be interesting to see how it would work for you with a rift. From what I understand the biggest part of 'fooling' your brain is the quick head tracking and how smooth it responds. Especially since the resolution is so bad in the devkit that making out detail is pretty much impossible.

e: If nothing else, covering your left eye and using as normal should still give you the visual that you have in real life with one eye, since it's literally on top of your eye.

Yeah I actually thought of that patching idea about five minutes after I posted. It still cheeses me off that the 3D can never work for me, but maybe the Rift itself isn't a total loss.

Need to find me a way to demo one. Get out to PAX next year or something. I'm genuinely curious what it'd do, considering reports like that one guy who straight up got cured of stereoblindness from seeing some 3D Pixar movie or something. :v:

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

It does if you cross your eyes, actually.

Depth of field is reversed when you do that. Things that should look far away look like they're right up close.

It still gives you an idea of how it will look, though.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

I'm not sure on curing steroblindness (but how cool would that be if it happened again) but I would definetely think it would give a a pretty good immersion. At my local museum there's a huge spherical IMAX theater and I would always get motion sickness and butterlifes when they played rollercoaster movies or airshow photography just because the screen was so large it completely dominated my field of vision. And this was years ago before any sort of 3d glasses, so just the fact it was dominating my field of view non-3D felt like I was flying.

Once the rift is out for release I'm sure goons nearby would be glad to demo them for goons that ask around. That or PAX like you said.

e: Here's the Rift thread for a bunch more info from goons with first hand experience
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3500989&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 30, 2013

Amarretto Christ
Jan 26, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

You hate high bitrates? :???:

Good for video games and sporting events, keep that poo poo out of my cinema.

edit:I actually read that as framerates; I am dumb

Amarretto Christ fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Dec 4, 2013

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Amarretto Christ posted:

:ssh: You're talking about smoothing which is probably a feature of your TV, not the Blu Ray.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Amarretto Christ posted:

You're thinking of framerate or some kind of smoothing effect I suspect, not Blu-Ray resolution.

e: very beaten

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Amarretto Christ posted:

Sounds like your TV has that awful fake 240hz poo poo turned on. That's got nothing to do with the video source though.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Stream is live! "Map/Traffic/Crowd Work" and it looks great.

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 3, 2013

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Stream is live! "Map/Traffic/Crowd Work" and it looks great.

gently caress yeah, I finally catch one of these bastards live.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
This Twitch chat interface is infuriating. Every time I log in it takes me away from the stream, and then tells me to log in again.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

General Battuta posted:

This Twitch chat interface is infuriating. Every time I log in it takes me away from the stream, and then tells me to log in again.
Yes, twitch is terrible.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Dev Stream is up: http://www.twitch.tv/marauderinteractive

Today's Episode: "Modifiers/Tooltips for Modifiers"

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Steam is up again. "Coward Modifer/VO" whatever that means. Maybe some varaible that makes ships run away, plus voiceover work.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Today: "Fighter AI, Factions"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Awesome. I missed the last few streams. Also, is he using a space fighter shotgun? :aaa:

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Awesome. I missed the last few streams. Also, is he using a space fighter shotgun? :aaa:

Do you mean a gun that shoots a bunch of fighters out at once shotgun style or a shotgun mounted to a fighter?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

A shotgun mounted to a fighter. Also I think I saw a badguy use the same gap drive jump the player can use.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Having a shotgun on a space fighter is the dumbest thing ever.
Every game needs it now.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Colon Semicolon posted:

Having a shotgun on a space fighter is the dumbest thing ever.
Every game needs it now.

I don't mean to evoke REAL LIFE :gonk: in a thread about a badass harbinger-of-the-end space opera game but a kinetic weapon that just sprays poo poo everywhere is a pretty reasonable tool in hard-SF space battles.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

A shotgun mounted to a fighter. Also I think I saw a badguy use the same gap drive jump the player can use.

To quote the Dev "they warp out, they will use gap drive soon, I have to program that, and make it a trait that a unit can have"

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

General Battuta posted:

I don't mean to evoke REAL LIFE :gonk: in a thread about a badass harbinger-of-the-end space opera game but a kinetic weapon that just sprays poo poo everywhere is a pretty reasonable tool in hard-SF space battles.

Yeah that's probably the least silly weapon out of all of them if you want to go that route, less silly than plasma weapons anyway.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
In Planetside 2 the New Conglomerate ASFs have the option for a giant shotgun as their projectile weapon, it's pretty funny.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

ghetto wormhole posted:

In Planetside 2 the New Conglomerate ASFs have the option for a giant shotgun as their projectile weapon, it's pretty funny.

Shotguns are awesome, no matter how goofy. :black101:

Since collisions are deadly in ES, they end up pretty balanced. AI are a little skittish about collisions when they need to get that close, making them less aggressive. I will have to tune that. When I fix that I think those encounters will get pretty tense. I am going to add cloaking devices too, so a faction might have cloaks + shotguns + super weak vitality.

I also need to do some sound design and work on interior firing sounds for the shotgun. I didn't want to peruse SoundDogs and order poo poo online while the stream was on though. :)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Just give it a pump action reloading sound effect. You know you want to. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

In the X-Wing games, one of my favorite things to do was to load up a Y-wing with those super slow space bombs, plow all my energy into propulsion, and get real close to a destroyer and let 'em all go. They were so slow, they'd always get shot down, so that was the only way to make any use of them.

So, yes, I would like a ridiculous space shotty.

• Locked thread