Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

There's these for posters, and I recall from the Deadzone campaign Antenocitis has all sorts of cool stuff like advertising boards, com panels and computer terminals, can be used as inspiration if nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

That Necromunda terrain needs more elevated walkways that you can place wherever you want each time. As is, movement options are kinda limited high up, because you either come down, or go one direction out. Easy to get surrounded when you bottleneck yourself like that. It gets fun when you have enough walkways reaching across that you start connecting walkways with walkways, and make an interesting web high up.

I'm sad that I just gave away my table full of Necromunda terrain I think I posted earlier in the thread. Was just too much to ship across the world.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Pilgrimski posted:

I'm happy with the way my scenery shows decaying buildings and structures, but it is missing something. It looks used, but not lived in.

For that I need some debris of civilisation. Posters, flyers, grafitti, rubbish (trash). The kinds of things you see in run down or busy parts of town.

Has anyone come across anything like that? I know there are some 40k posters out there, but what about something more generic? Advice and links are most welcome!

I collected a bunch of posters from 40K that I found online in a single image that can be printed and cut out: http://hammertime40k.wordpress.com/2013/06/19/40k-imperium-propaganda-and-magazines/ There's also some magazine covers from Blade Runner and generic newspapers that can be street litter, and some of the 40K posters can be used in a generic setting.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

You could always string up some washing. Run some wire in shallow arcs across appropriate bits of terrain for the line, then cut out some paper or cloth for the clothes. Cover them in PVA to harden/protect them.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

You could always string up some washing. Run some wire in shallow arcs across appropriate bits of terrain for the line, then cut out some paper or cloth for the clothes. Cover them in PVA to harden/protect them.

Make all the washing futuristic silver jumpsuits imo.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Phoon posted:

Make all the washing futuristic silver jumpsuits imo.

Holy poo poo, yes! Such a good idea.

Fremen Van Saar stillsuits bodysuits all hung out to dry.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

krushgroove posted:

I collected a bunch of posters from 40K that I found online in a single image that can be printed and cut out: http://hammertime40k.wordpress.com/2013/06/19/40k-imperium-propaganda-and-magazines/ There's also some magazine covers from Blade Runner and generic newspapers that can be street litter, and some of the 40K posters can be used in a generic setting.

There's also a collection of Fallout posters here. The formatting keeps shifting around for some weird reason on Google Docs, but it looks fine when opened in MSWord.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ramshackle barricades are super easy to make and add a suitable amount of visual complexity and cover. Just glue a bunch of random bits together and paint it different colors and weather the heck out of it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Street lamps could be good as well, there were some in the Manufactorum kit that bits sellers may have

I found a couple of places that sell 28mm rubbish stuff, but this might be the best one, it's got rubbish piles, bags, etc etc etc

http://blackcatbases.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=430_442_476

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Underground Lasers dude is throwing in a free armoured container with every order before the 3rd, and still has 20% off for black friday. I ordered a firebase, wall containers and some other bits on the weekend, will put them up once I've received and assembled them. Going to try painting a couple of containers for my Oath this month too, tests on the scrap MDF proved promising!

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

The Underground Lasers dude is throwing in a free armoured container with every order before the 3rd, and still has 20% off for black friday. I ordered a firebase, wall containers and some other bits on the weekend, will put them up once I've received and assembled them. Going to try painting a couple of containers for my Oath this month too, tests on the scrap MDF proved promising!

I just checked it out and it looks like the sale is off? or is there a special code?

I went to the site and the Armored Long container is listed at $11.00 when I purchased it on 11/18 for $9.90

I think I'll drop him a line. The shopping cart probably went funky on him after he reverted the prices.

E: I see what happened. I caught them at a 10% off sale & Frank at underground was very helpful figuring that out.

VVV and thanks! I'm still going to order more. 10% off was nice for the first order, but the prices are still reasonable.

MisterG fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 3, 2013

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

MisterG posted:

I just checked it out and it looks like the sale is off? or is there a special code?

I went to the site and the Armored Long container is listed at $11.00 when I purchased it on 11/18 for $9.90

I think I'll drop him a line. The shopping cart probably went funky on him after he reverted the prices.

Yeah I think you missed it, it was just a flat 20% off the listed prices and that's now disappeared. He might still be doing the free container thing though, worth asking, and he's going to be putting some prices up slightly soon. I check his facebook page for news.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Two questions for y'all:

1) What would you use to represent terrain that provided cover, but did not impede movement? Field of grass? Fog bank? Other suggestions?

2) Any experience with the Hot Wire Foam factory tools? I've got my eye on the 16" 3d table and a freehand router, but am curious what others have found to be indispensable. Also, if I'll not be doing engraving, is there any reason to get the variable temp controller over the fixed tem controller?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Germ posted:

Two questions for y'all:

1) What would you use to represent terrain that provided cover, but did not impede movement? Field of grass? Fog bank? Other suggestions?

Steam coming from a pipe
Waterfall (or spray from a water main, etc)
Curtain/hanging tapestry
Sandstorm/dust devil

e: Laundry on a line, palm leaf entryway, ferns, fields of grain/corn/bamboo (which of course is similar to what you said), paper walls

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 4, 2013

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Germ posted:

Two questions for y'all:

What game system?

Germ posted:

2) Any experience with the Hot Wire Foam factory tools? I've got my eye on the 16" 3d table and a freehand router, but am curious what others have found to be indispensable. Also, if I'll not be doing engraving, is there any reason to get the variable temp controller over the fixed temp controller?
I think the variable temp allows you to cut different types of foam, as well as engraving. Also,I believe some of the controllers only work with some of the tools, so make sure you get the controller that works with everything. Also, is the price difference that great to choose one over the other?

Germ
May 7, 2013

28mm wargames - 40k, Warhammer fantasy, infinity, Malifaux, and the like. Our club is fairly diverse in regards to games we play.

The variable-heat power source is $25 more than the fixed-heat source. It's not a deal breaker, but I'd rather spend the money on something else if it's not necessary.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Warhammer Fantasy differentiates types of obstacles and what kinds of units they do or don't impede. For example, a fence does not impede infantry.

Cover vs. concealment is another thing that gets split in different game systems. All of the things mentioned so far, would provide concealment (I can't see you) but not cover (if I shoot at you, I might hit the obstacle instead of you).

Depending on whether either of the above things matters to you, light cover tends to be rickety/flimsy stuff like picket fences, shrubs and hedgerows, or small piles of junk; or stuff that is somewhere in-between hard cover (concrete berms, battlements, arrow slits) and open ground.

There's also stuff that provides minimal cover but is harder to move through, like razor wire, tall fences, streams, swampy ground, etc.

It sounds like you're asking for stuff that would work in a rural or suburban setting, and either future or fantasy, and that really narrows things down to natural stuff (trees, bushes, hedges, crops, fog, smoke) and universal human construction (a low brick wall, for example, isn't out of place in either type of setting).

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Germ posted:

28mm wargames - 40k, Warhammer fantasy, infinity, Malifaux, and the like. Our club is fairly diverse in regards to games we play.

The variable-heat power source is $25 more than the fixed-heat source. It's not a deal breaker, but I'd rather spend the money on something else if it's not necessary.

I got the "works with everything" power source and am happy I did. I like the thick shape-able wire and the hand-held cutter the most. I use the "knife" for thick stuff and have only played with the engraving tool. I think I just had an epiphany about the engraver (lower temperature than I've used so far) to reduce the strings. Still, I usually sand the foam with a fine grit to break unwanted irregularities out.

It took me about 3-5 years to bite the bullet and purchase the kit with all of the above. I have not regretted it at all. I do find myself wondering if it's time to replace the wire or if I've got a power supply issue about 5 years later... (likely the wire).

Lately I haven't had time to use as much of my foam is stored away, so I can't say when I'll be able to confirm which root-cause it is.

Germ posted:

Boxwood is very easy to walk/run/charge through, so the knights of Ni say "Shrubbery", which leads to a lattice with vines. I really like the sheets/laundry drying on a line bit. Very easy to do with tissue paper and PVA glue. or maybe a firmer paper to start (I like tissue paper or tracing paper as it looks less like paper and more like scale cloth).

In there with paper walls you've got paper or cloth "privacy" partitions.

Rain, sheets of water, fish tank or perhaps a waterfall.

Empty barrels vs. full barrels. That might be a really neat terrain idea. Randomly place empty or full stickies on the barrels before a match, pick the barrels with closed eyes as the terrain is placed and up-end the barrels when the first unit runs up to the terrain piece. That row of barrels you thought would be good to hide behind? not so good anymore.

E: added more ideas for concealment w/out cover & replying to below

VVVVV Yes! balloons! It'd be pretty neat to have some deflating parade balloons for one scenario (maybe).

MisterG fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 5, 2013

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Germ posted:

Two questions for y'all:

See, when you were talking about it last night comparing it to the floating rocks we've got there at the store, I was thinking some kind of floating gas bladder plants. You probably wouldn't have flat cover against everything small and on ground level, but the further out you go, the more cover they give, and they'd definitely be covering a good chunk of vehicles, and you could still place minis around the ground tethers.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
A campsite?

Most campsites are made so that they are easily walked through yet could provide cover.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Mosquito netting!

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Achmed Jones posted:

Mosquito netting!

By that measure a huge insect swarm, which leads to my next "real" suggestion. I think it'd be really cool to include a flock of birds taking off from the ground. Each round you could roll for it moving, alighting or exiting the battlefield. For some games it'd be a great idea. In the grim grim future I'm not sure, it'd need to be a flock of "pitch black" critters for 40K.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

MisterG posted:

I think it'd be really cool to include a flock of birds taking off from the ground.

This is such a rad idea. Now to figure out where I can get a dozen or so crows and/or doves both in flight and at rest.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Finally, a use for that bag of joke plastic flies!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

This is such a rad idea. Now to figure out where I can get a dozen or so crows and/or doves both in flight and at rest.
40K - A John Woo film.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Hell yeah they updated the graphic used for the Games & Gears battle boards for the medieval town boards, so now it looks more like flagstone or something at least. I wish they'd make the "cobblestone" parts smaller but I assume they have fixed widths on the cuts.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Anyone know of some good sites or guides for building or buying medieval/fantasy buildings?

For the past few years, I've been painting up minis and sneaking them into my mom's Christmas village. I'm starting to think I should build my own - then the Christmas Troll and Krampus will have a home when dear old mom gets sick of finding them in her peaceful holiday hamlet when I come over to visit..

My sister also keeps saying she wants me to make her something, too. She's big into genealogy and for whatever reason wants a model of one of the cemetery's she's found a lot of... Ancestral tombs or something. :stare:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

http://hirstarts.com

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Cross-posting from the Game Building thread, I'm casting myself up some hexagons up in here.

The idea is to build a gaming board for a home-made RPG-lite boardgame. The game will have several different boards, so I thought that the most time efficient way to make something resilent yet 3D would be to cast up a bunch of basic hexagon terrain pieces, and then glue them on some really solid card or thin wood. The resin can then be made to represent anything from a cave to a swamp, simply by varying the amount of each type, and by painting them in different colours.

Here is the first batch, ready to be covered with some silicone:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Not to burst your bubble, but those sound an awful lot like custom Catan tiles or Mighty Empires.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Not to burst your bubble, but those sound an awful lot like custom Catan tiles or Mighty Empires.

No, these are acually way smaller than that, meant to be suitable for single 28mm scale minis. So just under an inch wide. But Mighty Empires hexes sounds great if we ever make an over-map for a more detailed (and convoluted!) system for stringing the encounters together, and add a dose of Descent to it. They should be pretty cheap second hand by now, right?

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 9, 2013

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Found a cool thing for people who are willing to outright buy terrain.

http://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Tamashii-Nations-Version-Effect/dp/B00GRISAL0

It's an effect stage part for japanese action figures. It comes apart into pieces or can be combined to look like a bigass crater. Apparently about 7 inches across, so not a terrible value I'd say, for durable terrain effects.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I guess this would be the place to post a preview photo of the thing I got my Santee:

Modular dungeon tiles are cool.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Found a cool thing for people who are willing to outright buy terrain.

http://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Tamashii-Nations-Version-Effect/dp/B00GRISAL0

It's an effect stage part for japanese action figures. It comes apart into pieces or can be combined to look like a bigass crater. Apparently about 7 inches across, so not a terrible value I'd say, for durable terrain effects.

It's eighteen dollars. For a crater!

It's a cool idea but I'd expect anyone with a craft knife and a piece of styrofoam to be able to make that in under an hour. And that includes painting time. And time for the paint to dry.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

lilljonas posted:

The idea is to build a gaming board for a home-made RPG-lite boardgame. The game will have several different boards, so I thought that the most time efficient way to make something resilent yet 3D would be to cast up a bunch of basic hexagon terrain pieces, and then glue them on some really solid card or thin wood. The resin can then be made to represent anything from a cave to a swamp, simply by varying the amount of each type, and by painting them in different colours.

So.. a bit like Heroscape then?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

So.. a bit like Heroscape then?

Yes, more like that. But the idea is to make permanent boards, starting out with simple caverns and swamps and move into stuff like sewers and stuff. Like a mix of a hexbased Mordheim board and Warhammer Quest.

Germ
May 7, 2013

lilljonas posted:

Yes, more like that. But the idea is to make permanent boards, starting out with simple caverns and swamps and move into stuff like sewers and stuff. Like a mix of a hexbased Mordheim board and Warhammer Quest.

If you're making permanent boards, wouldn't it be easier to make more natural-looking set terrain formations? I'd reckon the whole reason to do hexes would be modularity.

I've seen some folks toss around other ideas for modular hex systems for terrain. Remember the old geo-hex foam hills? Kind ok like that but way more complex. While there are some good ideas, and some cool possibilities with that (or with any modular terrain system), there's always the danger of over-engineering something that folks actually want to be much more simple.

On another note, thanks for all of the ideas about LoS-impeding, non-movement-influencing terrain. Some great ideas in there!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Germ posted:

If you're making permanent boards, wouldn't it be easier to make more natural-looking set terrain formations? I'd reckon the whole reason to do hexes would be modularity.

I've seen some folks toss around other ideas for modular hex systems for terrain. Remember the old geo-hex foam hills? Kind ok like that but way more complex. While there are some good ideas, and some cool possibilities with that (or with any modular terrain system), there's always the danger of over-engineering something that folks actually want to be much more simple.

On another note, thanks for all of the ideas about LoS-impeding, non-movement-influencing terrain. Some great ideas in there!

No, the reason for hexes is to make movement easier rules-wise, as the game is meant to be playable by kids and not involve rulers and stuff. We could have gone with just printing a map on a large piece of paper and glue it on a board, but it sounded a lot cooler to do a board in 3D and paint it up. The hexes are kept as flat as possible so far, so that the boards will be stackable in a reasonably sized box.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I've got some river sections that I plan on painting soon, and I want to go for a winter theme for the snow table at my LGS. What's a good way to get chunks of floating ice? I'm thinking clear plastic like from blister packs, but I'd like to hear a couple ideas and pointers on making it look at least a little bit realistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Fine grit sandpaper to frost the clear plastic in majority of areas.