Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

My Chromecast just updated and the new home screen is super minimal. I like it. The big "Ready to cast" text is gone, and the small text that is present (name of your Chromecast, the current time, photo credit) is semi-transparent white. Pretty slick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://chrome.blogspot.com/2013/12/new-chromecast-apps-for-holidays.html

VEVO, Red Bull.TV, Songza, PostTV, Viki, Revision 3, BeyondPod, Plex, Avia, and RealPlayer Cloud are all available on Chromecast as of today.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://chrome.blogspot.com/2013/12/new-chromecast-apps-for-holidays.html

VEVO, Red Bull.TV, Songza, PostTV, Viki, Revision 3, BeyondPod, Plex, Avia, and RealPlayer Cloud are all available on Chromecast as of today.

Fantastic news.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Plex requires a PlexPass subscription so it's really just bullshit.

edit- I don't even know what 90% of those other things are.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like you'll need a subscription to PlexPass to use Plex with Chromecast.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Looks like it's only for PlexPass members. Is that correct?

edit: well there you go

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

FogHelmut posted:

Well that's super lame. This is really what I was waiting for to buy a chromecast.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Does that really say RealPlayer in 2013 TYOOL?

E: "Note that for an initial period, the Chromecast feature is only available to our beloved PlexPass users, who get exclusive access to many new features," Feingold says.

So normal Plex will get it eventually. My guess is since plex pass gets beta features before normal plex, they feel the need to justify plex pass's existence by being first to support the chromecast.

d[-.-]b fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 10, 2013

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Says here the PlexPass restriction is just for 'an initial period'
http://elan.plexapp.com/2013/12/06/plex-on-the-chromecast-its-official/

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm not sure if this even allows Plex to play from your local server, or if you must use their cloud options through PlexPass.

edit - Nevermind, read the above link. Runs off the latest version of your Plex server. They are alleging that this is through PlexPass because they get early access to new features. :tinfoil: And has no mention of charging fees to pay off media conglomerates. :tinfoil:

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 10, 2013

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Oh, nice. I just lost my raspberry pi in a move, and I was looking for something to do local streaming. I guess I'll have to start looking into Plex.

e: Oh, there were more posts :v: . Anyone know anything about Avia?

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 10, 2013

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

FogHelmut posted:

Plex requiring a sub makes me think it won't be awhile until the SDK is open

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Geno posted:

Plex requiring a sub makes me think it won't be awhile until the SDK is open

No, it's just Plex doing this for their paid members because they give them the newest stuff. They'll probably release it for non-sub members in a couple of months.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Well that kind of stinks. I bought the plex app just for the upcoming chromecast support, I guess I have to wait a little longer. Plexpass is of no use to me, I'm crippled by horrible DSL at my house so there is no earthly way I could stream media from my home pc with 400Kb upload speeds. I can't blame them for rewarding the users that have more monetary support, than my $5 purchase, however.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, that sucks.

How does this "PlexSync" thing work? Is it just Dropbox for videos? That might be worth the monthly fee for a while until the free version of Plex drops if it's something useful.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I just tried out Avia for streaming stuff from my phone and tablet. It works great.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, that sucks.

How does this "PlexSync" thing work? Is it just Dropbox for videos? That might be worth the monthly fee for a while until the free version of Plex drops if it's something useful.

You can select videos to be transcoded and synced to your mobile devices automatically. It's pretty slick. Like if you start watching Battlestar Galactica and say you want to sync 5 episodes. If you watch episode one on your tablet and episode two on your PC it will remove episodes 1 and 2 from your tablet, transcode 6 and 7, and copy to your tablet. There's also the streaming across the Internet if you have bandwidth at home. It's like $3 for a month if you want to try it.

gariig fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 10, 2013

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

teagone posted:

My Chromecast just updated and the new home screen is super minimal. I like it. The big "Ready to cast" text is gone, and the small text that is present (name of your Chromecast, the current time, photo credit) is semi-transparent white. Pretty slick.

Mine just got this update, loving it. The stock photo selection is a lot larger too.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

If you buy a Chromecast and Nexus 7 together from Google Play starting today, you'll get $32 in Google Play credit.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

gariig posted:

You can select videos to be transcoded and synced to your mobile devices automatically. It's pretty slick. Like if you start watching Battlestar Galactica and say you want to sync 5 episodes. If you watch episode one on your tablet and episode two on your PC it will remove episodes 1 and 2 from your tablet, transcode 6 and 7, and copy to your tablet. There's also the streaming across the Internet if you have bandwidth at home. It's like $3 for a month if you want to try it.

If I subscribe, can I shove a bunch of stuff on dropbox or whatever and bypass having a plex server all together? Like a personal netflix?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

If I subscribe, can I shove a bunch of stuff on dropbox or whatever and bypass having a plex server all together? Like a personal netflix?

Yes, using Cloud Sync.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

No word on a Twitch.tv app?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

No word on a Twitch.tv app?

The twitch android app is messed up, I doubt they're going to get around to Chromecast any time soon.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Super Dude posted:

The twitch android app is messed up, I doubt they're going to get around to Chromecast any time soon.

They already promised support.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

dreesemonkey posted:

there is no earthly way I could stream media from my home pc with 400Kb upload speeds.

I raise you my 30Kb upload speeds.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

xcore posted:

I raise you my 30Kb upload speeds.

Good lord, Where do you people live that your upload is so poor? Is nothing better offered? Thats crazy low.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
drat, no Vimeo yet. Did they open up their SDK to developers or is this update a closed developer thing?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

drat, no Vimeo yet. Did they open up their SDK to developers or is this update a closed developer thing?

Seems like it's still closed developer.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

EbolaIvory posted:

Good lord, Where do you people live that your upload is so poor? Is nothing better offered? Thats crazy low.

Good old :australia:. I can pay $100 more a month to go with the company that offers 10Mbit/1Mbit or stick with my current offering which gives real world speeds of 700Kb/30Kb

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Is anyone else unable to buy the add on in Avia to enable Chromecast?

I tap the Unlock Extras button and nothing happens 😕

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The stock photo selection is a lot larger too.

And prettier too :allears:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

xcore posted:

Good old :australia:. I can pay $100 more a month to go with the company that offers 10Mbit/1Mbit or stick with my current offering which gives real world speeds of 700Kb/30Kb

That's insane. I pay 99 and get 150 down 25 up. Mind you that's just for internet. But still.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Is there a way to force the Chromecast to update? Mine is powered by the TV which I haven't turned on in a week and it's still on build 13300. I've tried resetting it from the companion application and also cold booting it to no avail.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Is there a way to force the Chromecast to update? Mine is powered by the TV which I haven't turned on in a week and it's still on build 13300. I've tried resetting it from the companion application and also cold booting it to no avail.

Just let it update on its own. It's likely that you're only prolonging the update the more you gently caress with it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

nimper posted:

Just let it update on its own. It's likely that you're only prolonging the update the more you gently caress with it.
I just wanted to get it out of the way because the last time it updated it happened right when I turned it on and that was irritating because I wanted to use it!

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Mine just updated and took probably 30 seconds.

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away
I thinking about buying a chromecast for work. How well does the it work with a google drive presentation? I'm thinking about embedding an autorotating presentation on a webpage, and then cast that tab to our TV. I'm hoping we can use the computer for other things while the presentation runs full screen. Is that possible?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Finally got the in-app purchase in Avia to work!

I wanted it mainly to cast from XBMC since Avia can connect to it via UPNP. The cast feature works great! It appears it sends the UPNP URL to the Chromecast and lets it pull down the data directly. Videos will only work if it is a format the Chromecast understands, there is no transcoding done. Subtitles are also not supported, yet.

I can eliminate my bedroom XBMC box now.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

mongoibur posted:

I thinking about buying a chromecast for work. How well does the it work with a google drive presentation? I'm thinking about embedding an autorotating presentation on a webpage, and then cast that tab to our TV. I'm hoping we can use the computer for other things while the presentation runs full screen. Is that possible?

It's possible, but the framerate of the tab being cast depends on your processing power. If it's something simple you'll likely not have a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
This new update has turned my tablet into a media machine. I love it.

• Locked thread