Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
New Brows Held High reviews "Shame", starring Michael Fassbender and Michael Fassbender's impressive dong

http://t.co/AB1m9Yl5Lf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Benne posted:

New Brows Held High reviews "Shame", starring Michael Fassbender and Michael Fassbender's impressive dong

http://t.co/AB1m9Yl5Lf

Oh man, SHAME. I am SO glad he reviewed this, as I felt tempted to do so myself, just to talk about how much I hated it. And I did..HATE it.

It's a great review, that really gets down to the heart of my problems with this movie, except expressed in a way that is less..viscerally enraged to my reaction to the movie.

The thing is, when you're sold on a movie being incredibly depraved..you go into it, expecting it to be depraved, only to find out that it's just a hollow heap of nothing with a layer of "depravity" slathered on top, with absolutely no context for the depravity. Brandon doesn't have any life OTHER than his sex life, so we can't really say that his sex life is interrupting his life since he doesn't have a life. Also, the sex acts that are performed in the movie...while there are a lot of them, and they're relatively explicit, aren't exactly depraved sex acts in and of themselves. My friend and I watched the whole movie waiting for him to do something that would actually be seriously morally bankrupt or illegal. We thought he was going to have sex with his sister. He didn't. We thought he was going to rape someone. He didn't. All that he did...was go into a gay club and get a blowjob...which is an incredibly stupid thing to represent his lowest ebb, since getting oral sex from another man isn't depraved in and of itself. Brandon wasn't established as a homophobe, or someone who was struggling against his homosexual desires, so..who cares if he got a blowjob from a man instead of a woman? The movie had one premise - to shock, and it failed!

In terms of being shocking or affecting, I think American Psycho is a much more effective movie (Brandon seems to have an American Psycho job in the movie too - he doesn't do anything.) That's also another interesting point, in terms of "romantic attraction being a turn off." Brandon can only have sex with people he's not interested in as people, only as sex objects. Patrick Bateman can't seem to bring himself to kill anyone who truly loves him, which is why Luis, Chloe Sevigny's character and Reese Witherspoon's character all escape the movie unharmed.
If you want an art movie about a man struggling to control his sexual desires, then the South African film Beauty is as much better pick, seeing as it actually has a shocking and jarring sexual conclusion in it - a brutal male/male rape, as opposed to "one random blowjob."

Also, the long unbroken take where Michael Fassbender jogs through the streets dressed like Eminem to the strains of silent movie piano....why?

Sorry for going on so long, I just hate Shame.
I get the feeling that Steve McQueen is a really wanky director, but maybe he's like Van Sant, in that he does some good, mainstream movies, some horribly pretentious movies, some excellent art movies and a few horrible missteps. I haven't watched any other of his films so I can't say for sure.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Game Grumps' fifty minute look at Endless Ocean is pure art.

"This game is like one part gorgeous dreamland and two parts nightmare I can't wake from!"

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Game Grumps' fifty minute look at Endless Ocean is pure art.

"This game is like one part gorgeous dreamland and two parts nightmare I can't wake from!"

The ending is magical.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Seriously I think that is probably one of the funniest things they've ever done. My face hurts from laughing at every minute of that- was not ready for the ending. The dude who donated them that game has to feel pretty accomplished right now :unsmith:

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Here's another review of an episode of The Secret World of Alex Mack for ya'.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
JesuOtaku I'm honestly curious, what's the plans for the Summer anime look? Are you going to try and switch formats or something? It seems like in order to manage it the episodes might need to be shortened.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.
I hate to be the bearer of bad new but Spill.com is shutting down by the end of this month.

Link:http://my.spill.hollywood.com/profiles/blogs/thank-you

Korey posted:

Many of you have heard already that Spill.com will be no more after December. I want to thank every talented person who was employed by this site for your years of committed hard work. You may not have noticed, but you are an inspiration. I won't lie, I'm a little jealous of your skills. However, you make me work that much harder, and will continue to do so. I respect you immensely.

I want to thank Hollywood.com for their support. You gave us so much and afforded me so many experiences that most people will never have in their lives. I am forever grateful.

Most of all I appreciate the Spill community. Needless to say there would never be a Spill.com without you. You've given us many gifts throughout the years, but the most important gift is that of friendship. You aren't inconspicuous avatars on a webpage, you're friends. You've opened your homes to us across the world. You've helped us organize events to celebrate our successes. Most importantly, you were there when things were not so happy, even if it was just a kind word. Friends like that are hard to come by in everyday life, much less a website.

For that reason I can leave this chapter of my life with love and calm in my heart. Thank you.

Korey

P.S. - WE STILL HAVE A FEW MORE PODCASTS TO DO SO GET BACK TO WORK!

P.P.S - You can keep up on the latest info about our future plans on the Call In Shows HERE.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah it sucks, seems like Hollywood.com couldn't figure out how to use that site properly.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Seriously that absolutely blows. Spill was amazing before Hollywood and it's downfall was loving awful. It was so clear they loved the site. gently caress that's sad.

In all fairness though, this could be a blessing. Tons of people are saying they could pretty easily get in with Rooster Teeth as a movie division and those guys seem way way way way less likely to gently caress them as Hollywood did.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 9, 2013

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That would be great if they joined RT.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

What happened with Hollywood.com? I listened to spill.com's reviews but never kept up with the background of the site.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

What happened with Hollywood.com? I listened to spill.com's reviews but never kept up with the background of the site.
They bought out Spill a few years ago, but it seemed like they never really agreed to do anything to help the site at all. I know Korey kept trying to get them to give him a new website that was better put together, but they ended up giving him the run-around until they eventually just pulled the plug. Back in May everyone at the site was fired except for about 6 people, and they were somehow expected to do better with less. Of course that wasn't to Hollywood's liking, so now they're shutting the whole thing down in three weeks.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The biggest contradiction that rubbed Korey wrong it seems was them trying to push a video game section for years, then when the Loading Bar was made and was doing its job pretty well, they cut the cord on it.

It's not like content was lost, at least. Rage Select rose from the ashes and it became obvious real fast that they were restricted by Spill on how much content they can put out. LEOG also has its own website now, and apparently they are big sport fans which confuses the poo poo out of me.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Tae posted:

The biggest contradiction that rubbed Korey wrong it seems was them trying to push a video game section for years, then when the Loading Bar was made and was doing its job pretty well, they cut the cord on it.

It's not like content was lost, at least. Rage Select rose from the ashes and it became obvious real fast that they were restricted by Spill on how much content they can put out. LEOG also has its own website now, and apparently they are big sport fans which confuses the poo poo out of me.

What's the LEOG's new website?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

What's the LEOG's new website?

http://oneofus.net/

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
The Nostalgia Critic did Eight Crazy Nights.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/41613-eight-crazy-nights

He seemed to really, really hate it. A lot of his gags seemed a lot more mean-spirited than usual.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Supersonic Shine posted:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/41613-eight-crazy-nights

He seemed to really, really hate it. A lot of his gags seemed a lot more mean-spirited than usual.

Given that he declares it one of the worst movies he's ever seen during the end summary, your assumption would be correct.

What's interesting is that there's an end teaser saying that he'll review something even worse on Christmas Eve. I honestly can't think of anything worse than this or the Star Wars special, so it might be kind of obscure.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Supersonic Shine posted:

Its nothing new, honestly. Red Letter Media did a full hour-long Half in the Bag episode dedicated to systematically demolishing both Jack & Jill and Adam Sandler's Hollywood Ponzi scheme of a production company. I honestly think he used Jay Bauman's "Adam Sandler Movie Trope" list to inform his review because he hits just about every point highlighted on that list in his review.

And as for mean spirited? poo poo, I was dragged against my will to That's My Boy last year, and the movie itself was so mean spirited and awful that both me and the person who took me to it were honest-to-god enraged after watching it. It's not Doug being pointlessly spiteful, it's Doug reflecting the soul of the film itself through the Nostalgia Critic.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 10, 2013

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I probably would have understood more if I actually watched any of the Happy Madison films. There are probably people who consider me lucky, and just be safe, I'll consider myself lucky too.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Supersonic Shine posted:

I probably would have understood more if I actually watched any of the Happy Madison films. There are probably people who consider me lucky, and just be safe, I'll consider myself lucky too.

Waterboy, Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison are okay comedies. Everything else Happy Madison outputs is dire.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Supersonic Shine posted:

The irony is, the two namesake films of his studio, Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison, are actually genuinely good. I can go back and watch Happy Gilmore any time and enjoy it through and through because it actually has a heart.

Happy has a noble goal throughout the film, and while he has anger issues, he's generally a likeable guy and finds a way to channel his rage into something productive; golf, ironically, and he triumphs because of himself as opposed to in spite of himself like the human monster protagonists of nearly every other modern Sandler film like Eight Crazy Nights, The Longest Yard, Jack & Jill and That's My Boy.

The main thing that pisses a lot of people off about Sandler is that he's a very talented actor and comedian and the stuff he does like Eight Crazy Nights, ect. comes off as a conscious choice brimming with nothing but disdain for the audience in how utterly mean spirited the final product is.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

nine-gear crow posted:

Its nothing new, honestly. Red Letter Media did a full hour-long Half in the Bag episode dedicated to systematically demolishing both Jack & Jill and Adam Sandler's Hollywood Ponzi scheme of a production company. I honestly think he used Jay Bauman's "Adam Sandler Movie Trope" list to inform his review because he hits just about every point highlighted on that list in his review.

And as for mean spirited? poo poo, I was dragged against my will to That's My Boy last year, and the movie itself was so mean spirited and awful that both me and the person who took me to it were honest-to-god enraged after watching it. It's not Doug being pointlessly spiteful, it's Doug reflecting the soul of the film itself through the Nostalgia Critic.

We Hate Movies did an episode on ECN too and they loving savaged it declaring it "Disc 12 of a 300 disc box set of Sandler sucking his own cock"

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

nine-gear crow posted:

The main thing that pisses a lot of people off about Sandler is that he's a very talented actor and comedian and the stuff he does like Eight Crazy Nights, ect. comes off as a conscious choice brimming with nothing but disdain for the audience in how utterly mean spirited the final product is.

One of my big issues with his recent movies is that he constantly writes himself as a Mary Sue character. He's super rich, super successful, if he's married his wife is always gorgeous and if he's single, women are throwing themselves at him.

The end result always feels lazy and pandering, like he's hitting only the most necessary beats to release the movie.

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

Behonkiss posted:

Given that he declares it one of the worst movies he's ever seen during the end summary, your assumption would be correct.

What's interesting is that there's an end teaser saying that he'll review something even worse on Christmas Eve. I honestly can't think of anything worse than this or the Star Wars special, so it might be kind of obscure.

It's the voices. The usual mean-spirited lazy stuff is bad enough, but when a main character has Adam Sandler's falsetto, it adds an extra level of pain. Jack and Jill was the same way.

I can think of worse Christmas movies, but that statement is coming from a dude whose job is to entertain. It's all relative, really.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Wait, am I a bad person for liking Big Daddy?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Tae posted:

Wait, am I a bad person for liking Big Daddy?

Nope, that's still pretty good.

RustyTrombone
Oct 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Is Doug really unselfaware enough to not realize he always runs his jokes too long/into the ground? The Adam Sandler phone call is a good example.

I liked it better when he didn't have to shoe in the demo reel actors into a worse than MadTV level sketch every episode as well.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RustyTrombone posted:

Is Doug really unselfaware enough to not realize he always runs his jokes too long/into the ground? The Adam Sandler phone call is a good example.

Surprisingly, no. He willingly admits in a lot of his commentaries that he intentionally lets some jokes overstay their welcome. I think his reasoning behind it is that he thinks the joke overstaying its welcome becomes a joke in and of itself, but I've never actually had that happen to me yet where I laugh at how laboured it gets. Even in this one, I zoned out after about 10 seconds and just skipped ahead by the 20 second mark.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm a casual viewer and I don't really understand why any of them do these jokes/skits. Especially RLM. I watch them to say funny poo poo about movies, what is this Plinkett stuff? I usually just skip over it. RLM's Best of the Worst, Cinemasnob and Obscurus Lupa are my favourites.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm a casual viewer and I don't really understand why any of them do these jokes/skits. Especially RLM. I watch them to say funny poo poo about movies, what is this Plinkett stuff? I usually just skip over it. RLM's Best of the Worst, Cinemasnob and Obscurus Lupa are my favourites.
The Plinkett stuff from RLM's Star Wars Prequel reviews basically put them on the map. Granted the Half in the Bag Plinkett is goofier than the Prequel Plinkett, but still..

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I usually hate skits in these sorts of reviews, but the RedLetterMedia guys are consistently funny enough that I don't mind when they do it.

In any case, Game Grumps are making an album because why not, I mean Danny's already done this sort of thing I think.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Throatwarbler posted:

This is pretty much why Chuck Sonneburg of SF Debris is one of my favourite internet critics. He rarely lets a joke run on too long, and never lets them get in the way of the criticism. Same with what little I've seen of the Cinema Snob. I like Linkara too, because his skits and storylines are easily skippable, in such you don't have to wait through them like you would with a Critic video.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Is it some kind of thing to do with having a certain percentage of "original content" as a way to fend off copyright issues?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Sometimes on half in the bag it's a meta commentary alongside their reviews... The rest of the time it's just filler, but I still like it.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Spark That Bled posted:

This is pretty much why Chuck Sonneburg of SF Debris is one of my favourite internet critics. He rarely lets a joke run on too long, and never lets them get in the way of the criticism. Same with what little I've seen of the Cinema Snob. I like Linkara too, because his skits and storylines are easily skippable, in such you don't have to wait through them like you would with a Critic video.

SFDebris is probably the most consistent of all the critics I watch. He's definitely got things down in the best way; his review are the length and packed with jokes. Never overstays his welcome, either and he seems to know which gags work and which ones don't. Seems like faint praise but when we're dealing with internet critics, it's a godsend.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Throatwarbler posted:

RLM were a movie making group before they did any review stuff, so of course they're gonna have intentionally cheesy skits in most of their stuff. It's usually entertaining enough, or in the case of the Jack and Jill episode, just downright magical.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Mr. Fowl posted:

SFDebris is probably the most consistent of all the critics I watch. He's definitely got things down in the best way; his review are the length and packed with jokes. Never overstays his welcome, either and he seems to know which gags work and which ones don't. Seems like faint praise but when we're dealing with internet critics, it's a godsend.

Yeah a little bit of a disclaimer for people who are just now going to check out SFdebris: Yes he has reviews of My Little Pony on his site, but he will do reviews for whatever stuff people who donate to him ask for and that is why. He's a really good reviewer.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

RustyTrombone posted:

Yeah, I think part of what makes something good, is knowing what to cut out. If you're going to make a diversionary joke it should be quite brief - back around the time he did the Odd Life of Timothy Green episode, I made a review that had a fake advertisement in it. Doug's review also had a fake advertisement but his went for about five times as long as mine. Now yes, that's a personal example, and I'm not exactly a well noted internet reviewer..but yeah, he really could edit those things down. With the ad example in Timothy Green, it was funny enough at the start and he could have just..chopped it off after 30 seconds or whatever - since the joke was established and the viewers had already gotten the point.
I tend not to enjoy reviewer plots that much, so it's good when you can skip them. With Linkara, you can turn off the review after the review credits roll, and skip the skit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

RustyTrombone posted:

I really, really, really want to know what school of comedy says this is a good idea. It almost never is.

Doug has a big problem with letting stuff run too long in general. His reviews are always way longer than they need to be, his jokes are often way longer than they need to be, his skits are probably the worst offenders but overall I'd say his best choice to improve his comedy is to cut the fat. His good jokes are always the shortest ones, and his Bum Reviews are easily the most consistently entertaining stuff he puts out.

• Locked thread