Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Are you playing base DD or Dark Arisen?

Dark Arisen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

There's a Dragon's Dogma thread, people there are very helpful!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486035

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

When you do the Everfall, there's a glowing spot way down at the bottom. That's a Portcrystal, and it's a reusable teleport point. You can get like five of them, and they will all make your life infinitely easier. You can place them anywhere, then use a Ferrystone to teleport to that location. You can also pick them back up and put them in new locations.

bhaltair
Jan 7, 2008
Recently bought Dragon Age: Origins -- what else should I know other than what's already here? http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Dragon_Age:_Origins

Thinking of rolling an Arcane Warrior on my first play through based on how good they seem to be.

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

poptart_fairy posted:

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. I've read the wiki but it doesn't say an awful lot about tradeskills and non-combat stuff such as persuade, etc. I want to be a sneaky, stabby, thievy, spellcaster type person but looking at stealth/persuade/alchemy/detect hidden/etc abilities I fear I might be spreading myself too thin. What non-combat skills would be worth investing in, if any?

I leveled stealth for a while and other than a damage bonus for the first hit and stealing stuff out of combat, it was not that useful. Environments are very wide open and enemies are frequently grouped together, often with many facing the entrance to their area which usually meant that if I attack one guy, everyone nearby would aggro. Also, persuade is okay, but there are only a few places to use in the major questlines and you mostly get a item of each successful use. Lastly finesse has a pseudo-teleport move that is great for melee fighters because it puts you behind people. Regardless of how you build your character, you'll likely get some use out of it.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

bhaltair posted:

Recently bought Dragon Age: Origins -- what else should I know other than what's already here? http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Dragon_Age:_Origins

Thinking of rolling an Arcane Warrior on my first play through based on how good they seem to be.

Arcane Warrior is unlocked in a quest which you could do first (Brecillian Forest), but it is suggested that you save it for last.

I'd recommend rolling with 3 mages (yourself, Morrigan, Wynne) and Alistair, instead. Save Arcane Warrior for a second playthrough. All the other advice there is pretty solid, though. If you do Circle of Magi first, don't like The Fade sour you on the rest of the game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

bhaltair posted:

It's been a while since I've played, but I think you can't actually be an Arcane Warrior until the middle of the game. There's a thing you have to do in one of the quests to unlock the specialization, and I'm not sure how that would affect your plans to be one from the get go. Once you've unlocked it, it's there for you from the beginning for any subsequent runs, but I'm not sure how well it would work for your first time through the game.

bhaltair
Jan 7, 2008

Geektox posted:

Arcane Warrior is unlocked in a quest which you could do first (Brecillian Forest), but it is suggested that you save it for last.

I'd recommend rolling with 3 mages (yourself, Morrigan, Wynne) and Alistair, instead. Save Arcane Warrior for a second playthrough. All the other advice there is pretty solid, though. If you do Circle of Magi first, don't like The Fade sour you on the rest of the game.

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's been a while since I've played, but I think you can't actually be an Arcane Warrior until the middle of the game. There's a thing you have to do in one of the quests to unlock the specialization, and I'm not sure how that would affect your plans to be one from the get go. Once you've unlocked it, it's there for you from the beginning for any subsequent runs, but I'm not sure how well it would work for your first time through the game.

Thanks guys -- that changes my plans a bit. Any tips on playing a regular mage on my first play through then?

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

That wiki covers pretty much everything. With 3 mages and Alistair I had a lot of fun spamming AoE spells, especially once I had Blood Mage specialization.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

bhaltair posted:

Thanks guys -- that changes my plans a bit. Any tips on playing a regular mage on my first play through then?

Mages are the most powerful class by far, and also the most fun. You should run two of them at least so you can have variety in your abilities. At least one should deal damage and one should support. Fireball and cone of cold are your best damage-dealers and crowd control, though you can use the larger AOEs to some hilarious effect if you can set them up properly. You obviously want healing on your support mage at a minimum but put it on all your mages if you can, and make at least one spirit healer for group heal. Mana clash destroys enemy spellcasters, which are usually your biggest threats. Crushing prison shuts down the rest and is especially useful on the late-game archers that love to spam their abilities.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
In Dragon Age: Origins I thought it would be fun to mix it up and play a sword-and-board dwarf. I was wrong, and should have played 3 mages.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I heard a backstabbing character as the PC and NPC mages is a fun playstyle, anyone else concur? Also, does 3 mages trivialize the game? Should one play on hard at that point?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Malcolm posted:

In Dragon Age: Origins I thought it would be fun to mix it up and play a sword-and-board dwarf. I was wrong, and should have played 3 mages.

I played sword and board for my third playthrough, it's not impossible, I think my party was Leliana and the two mages. Generally having more than one melee character is a bad idea though. I also built Morrigan as all debuffs, because I was tired of taking Cones of Cold and Fire to the face.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
You don't need to play three mages, which is, admittedly, super broken, but making your PC a Mage allows you to be much more flexible with the rest of the party, because, as noted, bringing too many melee along gets tiresome, and since you can't ditch the PC, making a melee warden means you're almost certainly going to end up dragging Wynne and Morrigan everywhere, rather than just one of them.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

bhaltair posted:

On level ups, I always maxed spellpower and never put any points in willpower. The result was that all the secondary effects (e.g. burn, freeze) for my spells would always trigger and I had great damage. The base mana pool is already enough for the majority of encounters, since you'll only need to fire off a few of your maximum damage spells before everything is dead anyways, and the game gives you plenty of lyrium potions for the rare, longer fights when you'd need more mana. IMHO putting points in willpower just dilutes your damage potential, and hardly gives you back enough mana to be worthwhile.

A good early crowd control spell is the cone of cold one, which is only 3 talents deep in the tree and can freeze whole groups. Frozen enemies also instantly shatter if you hit them with an at-will critical damage attacks such as pommel strike, shield overpower, and the mage spell stone fist. Morrigan and I were able to lock down most fights alternating this spell and chaining them with shattering attacks. The freeze effect also works well on bosses as long as you keep your spellpower high. I generally invest in the cold tree for all my mages (you'll also eventually want someone to get the lightning tree for Storm of the Century synergy).

Mind blast is a good early AoE minor stun that's nice if your mage is generating too much aggro and is getting mobbed, plus it puts you on the way to crushing prison, an excellent spell. Telekinesis tree is also great because it synergizes with itself for a great AoE damage combo.

Mana alteration is another decent tree, even if it only gave you the aforementioned and excellent mana clash which is THE spell for wrecking enemy mages. Spell might in the tree is also needed for casting Storm of the Century, which is the only time I'll have it activated.

moot the hopple fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 10, 2013

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

One annoying thing about DA:O is that for unlocking chests and disarming traps, only the character you currently have selected will attempt it (and they use their stats, not "best in the group" like some other rpgs). Since you have to control your character (as your party members follow you), if you're the OCD type that hates leaving behind locked chests as you're wandering through a dungeon then it results in a lot of micromanaging your party to select your rogue to unlock, etc.
For that reason, I really prefer playing as a character with lockpick skills. Archery is a lot of fun once you get stances and my preferred main class is archery rogue type character, a tank (there are two ideal choices here), and two mages.

Also, you might want to get a 3rd party program that can reset party member's specialization, since one of the mages starts off with a terrible, pointless spec that is nothing but a waste of skill points.

One other thing: It's probably mentioned in the wiki but to reiterate, do not try and be a jack-of-all-trades as my friend did his first playthrough. Every character needs to have a specific role -- tank, dps, heal mage (though they can work some buffs or cc in), dps mage (though they can work some light buffing or heals in)

e: I've tried playing FO:NV several times but this time I'm really going to try and stick with it. Never played FO3 past the first town, for that matter.
I'm about 2 hours in and just about ready to leave the first little town. Going heavy on guns, speech, and repair. Hope that's viable. Any other tips y'all can give me?

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 10, 2013

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Get at least one of Lockpicking or Science up to 90 (80 with the perk that doubles magazine bonuses) so you can grab Very Hard stuff. Preferably both, but it's not really necessary. A lot of the stuff in the game is hidden behind doors or in safes or the like that can be hacked or unlocked (and you should do both if you can for extra exp).

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

90 repair gives you Jury Rigging, which gives you the ability to repair with anything remotely close (ie repair shotguns with hunting rifles).
Make sure you're using the right weapons- armor subtracts flat damage so use slow-firing weapons or AP ammo. Conversely, unarmored enemies (ie all monsters except deathclaws) die incredibly fast to hollowpoint machine guns.
Are you in serious trouble? Use drugs. Turbo gives you bullettime and all the others give you pretty sweet bonuses (except Mentats which is mostly for skill checks.)
If you're playing Hardcore, healing over time stacks with multiple items but not itself. Take multiple kinds of medicine/food at once to increase health per second.
There's much less reliance on level scaling than most RPGs, many areas will wipe the floor with a new player. If an area's too hard, come back later with a bigger gun.
You can kill literally anyone and still win the game. Only two adult characters are immortal, and you'll know why when you meet them.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

When allocating SPECIAL at the start of the game, don't put any stat higher than 9. There is a clinic that will install implants to raise each SPECIAL state by 1 (however, you can only install one implant per point of Endurance you have, IIRC).

Get 7 points in luck and hit the blackjack tables. More often than not, you will win. At 10 Luck, you can be dealt 20, double down, and get that ace 9 times out of 10. New Vegas actually has stuff worth spending caps on (like those implants) so it's not a bad idea.

Dump Charisma; it's not worth it.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I heard a backstabbing character as the PC and NPC mages is a fun playstyle, anyone else concur? Also, does 3 mages trivialize the game? Should one play on hard at that point?

Playing as a backstabbing rogue was my favorite playstyle. A PC mage is really powerful but I found the game to be trivially easy after a while. Rogues have that same powerful feel to them but instead of obliterating the entire enemy presence at once with absurd spell combos you can open up on individual enemies with ridiculous crit damage. It moves a lot quicker and is more fun than the tank playstyle without trivializing the entire game like the mage does. I believe they also finally fixed the bug with dexterity that made daggers not as powerful as they should be. I usually played on hard with Wynne, Alistair, myself and some other swing person (typically Morrigan but I also enjoyed Shale). I also had a mod that let me bring the dog without using a party slot (it's why I went up to Hard, to compensate for the extra advantage that gave me).

e: Focusing on guns and repair is pretty much my standard New Vegas playthrough. Find a hunting rifle, slap a scope on it and you've got yourself a pretty great gun that iirc doesn't take too long to find.

Also, if you're using companions, talk to them and figure out which factions they might have problems with. Especially Boone can you get into trouble if you take him to places with factions that he doesn't like. Granted, it's not really 'trouble' since you can always just choose another faction to side with and even if literally everybody hates you, you can still beat the game but still if you're going for a Legion-aligned playthrough, taking Boone into their main base will end very poorly. Same for Brotherhood of Steel base, I think.

csm141 fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 10, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Gonna post a bit about Ys: Memories of Celceta:

-Don't bother using ingots to upgrade your equipment. Refining ingots costs coal (so you could run out when you need to refine something specific) and you often need them for making accessories, which I found to be more important. That said, go to town with your beast/plant materials because you will likely have an endless supply of something good in either. It's better to refine a few of everything (5-10 each) and maintain that stock rather than making 6+ every time you get new equipment.

-Don't just blindly get rid of your materials in an exchange. I try to keep around ~100 of the base stuff just in case. Beyond that, feel free to exchange/sell off extra.

-It may be kind of a pain, but there's no need to buy more than three sets of good armor. Just swap it in/out as you change party members. Often times you will pick up free ones in chests in the next dungeon anyway, so you'll be wasting money if you buy 6 sets right away.

-For boss fights don't forget to swap in party members to give yourself an attack boost (so have two members of the same attribute). Bosses don't drop stuff to my recollection and none are weak to an attribute so there's no need to go for the Rare Drop party boost.

-This may sound kind of strange or even obvious, but if you want to refill your SP gauge wait until your boost is filled up (your lead character will glow blue for a moment). If you hit an enemy afterwards, you get a lot of SP. And it works on everything, even enemy carcases. It only takes a few seconds each time and can make grinding skills a lot more manageable.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Gonna post a bit about Ys: Memories of Celceta:

Thanks - I've added these to the wiki.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

regulargonzalez posted:

One annoying thing about DA:O is that for unlocking chests and disarming traps, only the character you currently have selected will attempt it (and they use their stats, not "best in the group" like some other rpgs). Since you have to control your character (as your party members follow you), if you're the OCD type that hates leaving behind locked chests as you're wandering through a dungeon then it results in a lot of micromanaging your party to select your rogue to unlock, etc.
For that reason, I really prefer playing as a character with lockpick skills.

I wouldn't describe it as "a lot of micromanaging," it's just switching to your rogue when you want to unlock a chest, and then switching back. Slightly more work than it should be in a modern game, sure, but not so burdensome that it should affect your class choice for the whole game.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
I'm about to start playing Shadowrun Returns, is there anything important I need to know about character creation? What I mean is, are there any build choices that I could make that would severely gimp my character and make parts of the game unnecessarily difficult, or am I good to go with whatever character I decide to make?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

homewrecker posted:

I'm about to start playing Shadowrun Returns, is there anything important I need to know about character creation? What I mean is, are there any build choices that I could make that would severely gimp my character and make parts of the game unnecessarily difficult, or am I good to go with whatever character I decide to make?
Don't bother with decking skills on your PC. For the few missions that use decking in a meaningful way, you'll be able to hire NPC runners that get the job done just fine.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Did they add in passive adept skills yet or is that coming with the expansion? If not, I wouldn't bother taking adepts either because they're sorely underpowered at this point.

Shamans and mages have the best ability sets followed by riggers. Being a turn-based game, "action economy" dominates the battlefield meaning you want to have more potential turns than your opponent. Shamans can summon powerful creatures and practically every level has a free summoning point available. The best spells are area effect that reduce enemy AP or boost friendly AP for obvious reasons. They nerfed shotguns but they're still a great weapon choice especially in the end game when you fight super powerful immortal enemies that like to get in your face.

Drones suck at first but once you max out the skill and gain access to S level drones you become a one-man army. I made the mistake of ignoring riggers for most of the game but they get free items that refresh every run and repair kits are cheaper than med kits. Enemies also seem to prioritize them over your other runners.

Bump up charisma to get the shadowrunner thing then never touch it again. This should maximize your nuyen gain.

Damage is a status that doesn't stack. This means if you take 20 damage followed by 2 damage, you can only magically heal 2 damage. Enemies follow the same rules so continuous damage abilities like fire are disgustingly good.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

homewrecker posted:

Thread here.

Don't get too into it, the game is disappointingly short and not too involving. The general consensus is that it's a tech demo disguised as a game. Hopefully Berlin will be better.

IMHO, your best bets are street samurai or nuker mage. Drones are powerful but clunky. Decking is useless, the few decking areas are piss-easy. Actually, unless you're playing a gimmick build, crank the difficulty to hard, the whole game is pretty easy.

Trauma kits are great, BUT, your allies cannot use them on you. If your main dies, Game Over.

The first time you encounter insect spirits, they can't be killed.

EDIT: oh yeah, one major thing: Wired Reflexes, which are a must-have in pen 'n' paper, now do something totally different which makes them useless.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 10, 2013

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Gynovore posted:

Thread here.

Don't get too into it, the game is disappointingly short and not too involving. The general consensus is that it's a tech demo disguised as a game. Hopefully Berlin will be better.

I don't want to use this thread as an argument about shadowrun but that wasn't my impression from the thread (or from playing the game) at all. I found it to be really enjoyable actually, particularly the writing, the ambiance, and (most of) the story.

I realize how lame it is to say "I don't want to argue but here's my argument" but I figured I couldn't just leave that hanging there like it was something everybody agreed about unquestionably, I think opinions are at least a little more split than that and wouldn't want a new player going in with a biased opinion.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Shadowrun Returns is linear and short and it certainly feels like an extended demonstration for their powerful toolkit (kind of like Neverwinter Nights when it first came out) but I enjoyed every second of it except for a few frustrating bits. I think they patched in save-anywhere or are going to and that covers all of my issues right there.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
There is an expansion coming out soon that fixes many of those gripes. For what it is, it is a good game and certainly worth playing if you are a fan of the setting.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

al-azad posted:

Shadowrun Returns is linear and short and it certainly feels like an extended demonstration for their powerful toolkit (kind of like Neverwinter Nights when it first came out) but I enjoyed every second of it except for a few frustrating bits. I think they patched in save-anywhere or are going to and that covers all of my issues right there.

I'm not saying it was bad in any way. The engine and game system are pretty good, the graphics look nice, and they captured the Shadowrun feel pretty well. My problems were;
  • Way too short. (although to be fair I only paid ~$20 so I don't feel too ripped off)
  • Too easy.
  • The characters weren't bad, but they didn't grab me. I'm not asking for Bioware-level stuff where each of your dozen companions has 693 pages of backstory (and you can boink them) but at least give me a reason to care.
  • The final third of the story is copied from several Shadowrun novels and modules.
  • The very last part was a kick in the nuts, even though I half expected it.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Anyone have anything for the Knights of Pen and Paper +1? I keep getting stuck and having to grind monsters forever. :(

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Some tips for The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds:

-There are 5 Bottles in the game this time, not 4.

-If you see a fairy shrine where you can toss in rupees, it's not very obvious but there is a ceiling -- keep donating

-There are still bomb-able walls in this version, however they are not marked as bomb-able. Some are obvious and some are not. If you are missing Heart Pieces be sure to bomb suspicious looking walls on the world map.

-You can place Pins on your world map at any time, and you can change their color. Good for marking out of reach hearts and such.

-All mini-games have Heart Pieces. This includes the pick 3 chests, the Hyrule race, cucco avoiding, baseball, and 30 second gem hunts.

-Don't stress saving your rupees. You'll get tons throughout the game, so don't feel obligated to only rent gear.

-Some people are missing that you can start buying gear by approaching any gear you have rented at your house.

-The Running Boots are unlocked after the events of the Soft-stone. Be sneaky.

-You can find Maiamais in trees. Don't forget to dash into them!

-The two "Nice" upgrades are found after a certain challenge tower's gauntlet.

-Can't find any Dark Links? The game will populate a Dark Link to fight about every 4 hours.

-Minor Spoilery Stuff: If you want to unlock most of the content your first time in Lorule, do the village dungeon and then the sand dungeon (found below the village) in order.

-Minor Spoilery Stuff: Collecting all the PVP Badges does unlock something. The Ultimate Dark Link fight, pretty meh.

I might be missing a few but that should cover a good bit.
Edit: Added a few more

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 11, 2013

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sociopastry posted:

Anyone have anything for the Knights of Pen and Paper +1? I keep getting stuck and having to grind monsters forever. :(

That's pretty much the trick.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Ainsley McTree posted:

I wouldn't describe it as "a lot of micromanaging," it's just switching to your rogue when you want to unlock a chest, and then switching back. Slightly more work than it should be in a modern game, sure, but not so burdensome that it should affect your class choice for the whole game.

On the other hand, after playing Neverwinter Nights 2 (where your rogue will automatically come over when you attempt to open it and do it for you ), it feels like a clunky extra step. Thank god there's only a few worthwhile pickpocket targets in the game.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

PJOmega posted:

That's pretty much the trick.

Aw, dude, reals? That's such a pain in the rear end.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

Sociopastry posted:

Aw, dude, reals? That's such a pain in the rear end.
They want you to pay for items to reduce the grind.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Mayor McCheese posted:

Thanks! Added to the wiki.

Golden Lumber
May 30, 2013
Just got a hearthstone beta key. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I already leveled a few classes to 10 but I don't really know how to tackle arena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Mayor McCheese posted:

One more for this game:

-The fissures you use to enter Lorule can be hidden quite well. If you can't find an entrance to certain areas in Lorule start merging with walls you can't normally see and going inside buildings.

I could probably word that better but it works.