Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Halloween Jack posted:

The Red Rooster? Is that supposed to be funny? Is that supposed to be...Hugh Morrus?
Not an intentional comedy gimmick, but it sure did gently caress up Terry Taylor's career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

his history with Benoit is pretty interesting. I'd like to see those matches again, I hear they were brutal
That feud is the creepiest thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXQIXQpbjic&t=4155s
1:09:15 if it doesn't jump

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tune in every Tuesday Night and Chris Benoit will make you want to never tune in again.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

They had that one funny chess themed promo where Benoit was in front of a board, going on about his bishop taking Kevin's queen. Then they go to Sullivan in front of a board, Sullivan kicks the board over and says he isn't going to play chess, he's going to go beat the hell out of Benoit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Best part about that last Nitro we watched with the creepy Benoit/Nancy home video was that Sullivan was super-pissed off and you'd expect anybody on the planet to be terrified of getting in the ring with him afterwards... and then his opponent turns out to be Arn Anderson who doesn't give a single gently caress and proceeds to beat the poo poo out of Sullivan and put a beating on his buddies trying to help Sullivan too :hellyeah:

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
The most recent OSWReview makes me realize how much of a nonentity Dave Penzer was as an announcer. In the right situations, a good ring announcer can be an important part of setting the mood for a big money match. Penzer, on the other hand, announced everyone as "HUUUUUUUUUUU huuuuuuuuuuu", faintly in the background as the commentators discussed the nWo.

I didn't even remember his name until they brought it up, all my memories of WCW's ring announcing revolved around Michael Buffer.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Solomonic posted:

Penzer, on the other hand, announced everyone as "HUUUUUUUUUUU huuuuuuuuuuu", faintly in the background as the commentators discussed the nWo.

I always figured this was a part of the general sound-mixing problem that WCW seemed to have, which made wrestlers talking to the camera on the way to the ring so difficult to pick up as well. I absolutely can hear the "HUUUUUUUUUUU huuuuuuuuuuu" in my head as well, it always irritated me how inaudible the ring announcer was.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He was fine in TNA.

Which reminds me - has anyone here read Gary Michael Capetta's book? If so - any good?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

EugeneJ posted:

He was fine in TNA.

Which reminds me - has anyone here read Gary Michael Capetta's book? If so - any good?

Yeah, it's pretty good. He talks about driving Abdullah the Butcher around; Abby would sleep in the car all day, then force Gary to barhop with him all night so he wouldn't have to shell out for a hotel room.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

EugeneJ posted:

He was fine in TNA.

If it doesn't take three pages to pronounce NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKITTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...

KOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFf's name, it's a waste of time.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Jerusalem posted:

I always figured this was a part of the general sound-mixing problem that WCW seemed to have, which made wrestlers talking to the camera on the way to the ring so difficult to pick up as well. I absolutely can hear the "HUUUUUUUUUUU huuuuuuuuuuu" in my head as well, it always irritated me how inaudible the ring announcer was.

Is there a video that shows this HUUU huuu thing? Sounds funny.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

triplexpac posted:

Is there a video that shows this HUUU huuu thing? Sounds funny.

They discuss it on the most recent OSW Review episode, where they provide a few examples.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tonight at 8 PM, WCW presents:

THE MATCH OF THE CENTURY!

THE BATTLE OF THE ICONS!

WCW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan vs "THE ICON" "Rowdy" Roddy Piper!

For all of the backstory to this match, WCW aired this video to explain things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa1Q6xpoM8c

In the semi main event, our favorite wrestler faces his biggest threat...

"THE TOTAL PACKAGE" Lex Luger vs "THE" Giant

For the WCW Tag Team titles...

Champions, THE OUTSIDERS face THE FACES OF FEAR, MENG AND THE BARBARIAN!

FOR NINE BELTS!!!

WCW Cruiserweight Champion Dean Malenko vs J-Crown Champion THE ULTIMATE DRAGON

For no belts!!!

JUSHIN "Thunder" LIGER vs REY MYSTERIO JUNIOR

For the US BELT!

DIAMOND DALLAS PAGE vs EDDY GUERRERO!

As part of a creepy storyline:

JEFF JARRETT VS CHRIS BENOIT!

For some reason...

8 PM TUESDAY NIGHT http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

Naitch did some digging, so when you tune in there will be a boatload of new FABULOUS ONES VIDEOS! Also a rerun of the greatest match of all time, ICE TRAIN VS JERRY FLYNN
Akira Hokuto vs Madusa

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God help me, I am genuinely intrigued by the Hogan/Piper match, though not for optimistic reasons. I don't think I've ever actually seen the match.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

God help me, I am genuinely intrigued by the Hogan/Piper match, though not for optimistic reasons. I don't think I've ever actually seen the match.

I'm not sure if I have either. I have no memories of it, but I think it was on a tape a friend put together of some of the worst wrestling ever.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

The hosed up part is that it isn't even their worst WCW match.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The hosed up part is that it isn't even their worst WCW match.

If we're counting tags it might not even be in the bottom 3.

TUNE IN TONIGHT EVERYONE!

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

EugeneJ posted:

He was fine in TNA.

It's a fun book with tons of stories about various wrestlers. One of my favorites is about Undertaker and Buzz Sawyer in WCW. Undertaker and Capetta are driving to the next town and Taker tells him about how he's got a score to settle with one of the boys. Before he was a wrestler, Undertaker borrowed a couple thousand dollars from his brother so he could get trained by Buzz Sawyer, but Buzz skipped town stealing everyone's money.

Bodyslams posted:

"I had to go to my brother and tell him that I lost his money. But I made two promises. One to him and one to myself. I promised him that I'd do whatever it took to pay him back. But it was going to take time. There wasn't much I could do to make that kind of money fast. It took me almost a year, bouncing at a local bar, to get enough cash together to make things right with my brother." "What was the other promise?"

"I promised myself that one day I'd track Sawyer down and make that motherfucker pay for what he did to me."

Considering the possible consequences of Mark's plan for revenge, we both sank back into silence.

Mark was waiting at one end of the dressing room, his gear packed and ready for our departure. Buzz, sweat still streaming down his face, having just wrestled in the last match, was at the other end. Standing in the center I began changing from tuxedo to street clothes faster than ever before. Buzz had just begun to unlace one of his boots when he looked across at Mark. He wiped his brow with a towel he had picked up from a hotel along the way and tried to jog his misplaced memory. But his brain was not cooperating. He began working on his other boot, when suddenly he looked past me again and squinted.

"Don't I know you from somewhere?"

With beads of perspiration splattered across his grinning jowls, Buzz waiting for the answer. Silence was the only response.

"You know, you look familiar. Sure I don't know you?" he repeated impatiently poking his finger in the air.

In one sweeping motion, Mark lifted his immense frame and kicked a steel folding chair against the far wall. He was an imposing presence as he slowly swaggered toward Sawyer. As he passed by, Mark ignored my look of warning. His concentration was focused on Buzz. It seemed like hours before Mark arrived across the small room. But in the time he took to confront his demon, more messages were sent than any number of words could express. It was the stalking of the Undertaker two years too soon.

At the other side of the room, he reached for a chair, slowly spun it around backward and settled down nose to nose with the Mad Dog.

"You should remember me, motherfucker." Mark's gritty whisper hissed through his clenched teeth.

Mad Dog briefly cocked his head to one side. That maniacal grin reappeared before he exploded with reckless laughter. When Sawyer rose to feet, Mark rose with him. They paused for a moment and then settled back down in their chairs.

"Is it coming back to you, you worthless piece of poo poo?"

Buzz's only response came in a series of jerky nods and a wider grin than before. As their uneasy reunion continued in a hushed tension, I backed out of the foul-smelling locker room. After warning a security guard who was stationed at the door that there might be a problem, I searched in vain for our road agent. The only ones left in the building were our roadies, who were hustling to load the ring into the truck for the long trip that lay ahead.

When I returned to the locker room, Mark and Buzz were still sitting face-to-face. Buzz's nonstop chattering would have made the slickest backpedaling politician proud. Mark just stared at him in utter disdain.

I pretended to be unaware of how dangerous the situation could become and casually called out, "Time to get going Mark. Charleston's about 200 miles from here. And with the weather and the mountains, it'll take a lot longer than you think."

After a moment's hesitation, Mark slowly rose from his seat, never letting Sawyer out of his sight. Buzz didn't stop babbling. Ignoring his outstretched hand, Mark slowly backed away from his foe.

"Hey look, we'll discuss this." Sawyer's final appeal went unanswered.

We made our way through the few loitering fans and disappeared into the darkness of the cold winter night.

"I'm goin' to break that rear end in a top hat's legs. His legs and his arms. All of them."

Capetta goes on to say that if Undertaker did anything that would get him fired because Buzz's friend Ole Anderson was the booker. Buzz went on to pass away from a drug overdose in 1992.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Bodyslams is a great read because GMC comes off as such a weirdly normal dude. Half of his road stories are about how wrestlers who traveled with him had to come on his many shopping trips to buy presents for his family. He's one of the few people who got close to both management and talent, but isn't a super sleazy guy so there isn't much dirt. It's mostly interesting stories about his interactions with people in a very interesting time for wrestling.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Starrcade 96 is the only WCW PPV I ever bought, and I regret it to this day. This was long past the days where I could beg my mom to order wrestling and negotiate that it would be part of my birthday or Christmas present. I had to hand her cash, and despite Dean/Dragon and Rey/Liger, I was pissed and never ordered another WCW PPV again.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Bodyslams is a great read because GMC comes off as such a weirdly normal dude. Half of his road stories are about how wrestlers who traveled with him had to come on his many shopping trips to buy presents for his family. He's one of the few people who got close to both management and talent, but isn't a super sleazy guy so there isn't much dirt. It's mostly interesting stories about his interactions with people in a very interesting time for wrestling.

Supposedly Harvey Wippleman's book is more of the same, I wanna read it. What makes it interesting is that Harv traveled with Sid a lot, and being a nut wasn't just a gimmick for Sid.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The ending of the actual Hogan/Piper match at Starrcade 96 was one of the more surreal things I've seen in wrestling, and I once watched Vince McMahon get unsettled by the appearance of his more innocent on-screen persona from the 1980s in a mirror.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.

Jerusalem posted:

I once watched Vince McMahon get unsettled by the appearance of his more innocent on-screen persona from the 1980s in a mirror.

Wait what? Explain!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Perfidus posted:

Wait what? Explain!
Not much to explain. That's exactly how it happened. He looked in a mirror, on live television, and in the mirror was his 1980s self. On live television.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
I must see proof.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Did he start talking to it, and everyone else in the room insisted it wasn't there, and then the reflection disappeared and he kept talking to it so we didn't know whether he was crazy or what?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Many people didn't pay it much mind, despite the internet making GBS threads itself at Warrior in the mirror, so I don't know how easy it's going to be to find.

Edit: Much like the time Kane had a fantasy sequence. On live television.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Just watched Sting and Flair vs Muta and Funk in the Thunderdome from Havoc 89. What a terribly booked match. How on earth can you make a tag team cage match follow tag rules. And the entire time Funk and Muta were basically double teaming one of them in the ring while the other stood on the apron and watched. I get that Flair and sting were supposed to be faces, but it's not like it would have been out of character for Flair to break the rules even if he was a face in a match that's basically no DQ. Also towards the end Muta forgot the cage was electrified. Did Ole book this match?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Starrcade finish was even worse than I imagined. Looks like I never watched it before because I imagined it would be a major plot point in the post match that it was a big screwjob from Bischoff that the match was non-title. Instead it is just a non-title match and we are left to hate WCW.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MassRafTer posted:

The Starrcade finish was even worse than I imagined. Looks like I never watched it before because I imagined it would be a major plot point in the post match that it was a big screwjob from Bischoff that the match was non-title. Instead it is just a non-title match and we are left to hate WCW.

Wasn't it Piper that came up with the contract for the match in the first place? That makes it even worse.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So much gold in the classic observer this week. Popular band "Wheezer" ("Something about Grunge doing a leg drop through a table on New Jack?") being my favorite.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRafTer posted:

The match wasn't that bad for two old dudes workin a crowd, either. A real shame. But yeah that finish was WCW taking a biiiiiiigggg dump on their moneybase. Partially explains why Souled Out did so poorly(aside from being outright terrible).

They could have done Piper wins title but the screw job was he was gonna have to defend against Giant, Nash and Hall on the Nitros leading up to Souled Out and then rematch against Hogan on the PPV. Hogan wins and then they gently caress off to the next contender.

coconono fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 11, 2013

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

LordPants posted:

So much gold in the classic observer this week. Popular band "Wheezer" ("Something about Grunge doing a leg drop through a table on New Jack?") being my favorite.

#Watching Grunge leg drop New Jack through a press table#

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

MassRafTer posted:

IIRC they didn't even bother telling us it was non-title until the match was over.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Cromulent posted:

Starrcade 96 is the only WCW PPV I ever bought, and I regret it to this day. This was long past the days where I could beg my mom to order wrestling and negotiate that it would be part of my birthday or Christmas present. I had to hand her cash, and despite Dean/Dragon and Rey/Liger, I was pissed and never ordered another WCW PPV again.

I went through this exact scenario except a year later I relented and went in with my brother to get Starrcade '97. Fool me once . . . etc. Our dad even called us a couple of dummies for wasting our money.

Tokelau All Star fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 11, 2013

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was there a cage match in WCW pre-1994 with a jungle motif?

I swear before I got into wrestling, I remember some wrestler (Sting?) swinging from a fake vine that was suspended from the top of a steel cage. It must have been during a tv commercial.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

EugeneJ posted:

Was there a cage match in WCW pre-1994 with a jungle motif?

I swear before I got into wrestling, I remember some wrestler (Sting?) swinging from a fake vine that was suspended from the top of a steel cage. It must have been during a tv commercial.

I don't remember that, but I do remember a commercial with Sting and clips of him wrestling, and the ad ends with him putting his feet up on an office desk: "Just another day at the office."

Seems corny, but at least it was something.

Red fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 11, 2013

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Best Sting commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j65DpagyhI

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKFMYYFG48w

I also forgot, they had these big foam fingers that kids could buy at events to wave around to support their favourite wrestler. Notice anything about them? That's right, even for wrestlers like Sting, they were entirely yellow and red in an attempt to make it look like people gave a poo poo about the Hulkster.

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 11, 2013

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

I love how the subtext in this commercial suggests this is a terminally ill child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chris Gaines posted:

IIRC they didn't even bother telling us it was non-title until the match was over.

They didn't even really tell us it was non-title when the match was over, they more just acted like we knew all along. The belt is never in the ring, Piper just leaves and Hogan orders Vincent to bring the belt out while sort of saying it was non-title so it doesn't matter. It was more like they were trying to act like the fans knew the whole time they were buying a non-title match while WCW had done everything they could to hide the fact it would be non-title.