Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SexyBlindfold posted:

This episode was cool and crazy but honestly it was way hammier than what the show has been so far. A bit too much exposition.

This is probably my least favorite episode so far. I didn't hate it, just wasn't too in to it as the others. It was pretty hammy, but not really in the fun way. The monster wasn't as crazy as the others. It felt a bit dull. But still, if this is the "worst" this show can get, I'm good with that. Because despite my issues, it was FAR from bad. The end was surly interesting though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

CelticPredator posted:

This is probably my least favorite episode so far. I didn't hate it, just wasn't too in to it as the others. It was pretty hammy, but not really in the fun way. The monster wasn't as crazy as the others. It felt a bit dull. But still, if this is the "worst" this show can get, I'm good with that. Because despite my issues, it was FAR from bad. The end was surly interesting though.

Maybe it was just because I was drinking while watching it, but I really don't remember poo poo about this episode. It seemed forgettable even as I was watching it and I woke up in a drunken haze struggling to remember what happened.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

I liked how they dealt with it, just like the tree man. Apply shiv directly to stomach, save the conversations about life lessons for when the monster is down:black101:

Asehujiko fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 11, 2013

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think this episode suffered because it was so focused on Crane's son, which I feel is an unnecessary complication to throw in this late in the season. Still, if they pay it off later then I guess I'd consider it worthwhile.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I can't imagine they'd throw in an obvious plot hook like "you had a son! and he had magical powers! and was villainzed for it! and sealed in a magical barrow!" and just have it be some kind of one-note trauma to power an episode. That dude's totally coming back sometime; maybe during his life, J-Cra discovered something about Moloch and Ichabod will come into possession of it, whatever. There's just no way this is all there is to the Jeremy Crane story.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
I think this is where we see a bit of the writers' fear come through. I say that because it seemed like this episode was to finish off loose ends. The show seems like parts of it were written in the event of a sudden cancellation/non-renewal.

Next season I'm betting it'll be a bit slower, but a bit more thought out, with longer monster threats.
(Hopefully they'll still have MoTWs though. They're such a breather from plot heavy episodes.)

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Now that we know that Abbie's soul is on the line, I dread that the season finale will leave us hanging.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I agree that the episode seemed a bit off, but I'm assuming that it was mainly to set up Ichabod's son for a future plot line so I'm ok with it. Also John Noble getting to act like grumpy Walter again was worth it.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Compendium posted:

Now that we know that Abbie's soul is on the line, I dread that the season finale will leave us hanging.

Who else is wondering if in the end Abbie turns out to be a red herring and it was supposed to be Jenny as the second witness all along?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Compendium posted:

Yeah, but at least we know we're getting a season two, so it won't be twinned with the dread that any moment between now and March FOX will announce they've cancelled it in favour of giving Greed another shot at life... Which, in all fairness, I wouldn't be too broken up about, but Greed was awesome.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

hangedman1984 posted:

Who else is wondering if in the end Abbie turns out to be a red herring and it was supposed to be Jenny as the second witness all along?

Possibly, either of them could be the second witness depending on the circumstances and Abbie does what is necessary to cement herself as the 2nd witness which redeems her in the eyes of Jenny for abandoning her all those years ago.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Compendium posted:

I see 2 options for season finale cliffhanger. Katrina free, Abbie in Purgatory. (By the end of S2E01 Katrina sacrifices herself to free Abbie, returning to purgatory.) Either that or the finale ends with "Ichabod, Molochs vessel... Is your son!".

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
At the rate they're going, I will be legitimately surprised if Kartina is still in Purgatory by the end of the season.

SiKboy posted:

I see 2 options for season finale cliffhanger. Katrina free, Abbie in Purgatory. (By the end of S2E01 Katrina sacrifices herself to free Abbie, returning to purgatory.) Either that or the finale ends with "Ichabod, Molochs vessel... Is your son!".

I think it would be cool if it was some combination of the two. Team Crane all works together to save both Abbey and Katrina, Katrina's free from Purgatory, War is defeated, and it looks like we're getting a complete happy ending for the season until... Moloch-Possessed Jeremy shows up and sets the stage for season two.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SiKboy posted:

The cliffhanger is going to be Ichabod having to decide between Abbie and Jeremy's souls, with Moloch claiming the one he doesn't save. Moloch is betting on Ichabod bargaining away Abbie's soul for Jeremy's, the corruption of Ichabod/betrayal by Ichabod actually being what Moloch needs to bring out War.

I hope season 2 continues to cram 2-4 normal series' episodes worth of content into each episode.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I thought the actual doll was a lot creepier than the golem, I would rather have seen a giant version of that.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Oasx posted:

I thought the actual doll was a lot creepier than the golem, I would rather have seen a giant version of that.

Katrina is a regular master of horror. If those are the gifts she gives when trying to be nice, I'd hate to see what she gives when she's angry/doesn't like someone.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gyges posted:

Maybe the Saint's name is Jerome. When Crane figures it out and digs out Jeremy he finds that his son has become the new Horseman that Moloch just taunted Crane about.

It's a Christmas episode, and you don't think the saint is Nicholas?

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Postal Parcel posted:

Katrina is a regular master of horror. If those are the gifts she gives when trying to be nice, I'd hate to see what she gives when she's angry/doesn't like someone.

Is anyone else starting to get vibes that Katrina is maybe not on the good side? Or have I just been watching too much Scandal?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tupping Liberty posted:

Is anyone else starting to get vibes that Katrina is maybe not on the good side? Or have I just been watching too much Scandal?

I've been trying to write it off in my mind, but people I've spoken to about the show have pretty much said the same thing. She's lied to, withheld information from, and straight-up manipulated Ichabod (and Abbie) quite a few times since the show began. She also kind of dicked over Brom pretty hard, and the Four-Who-Speak-As-One seemed to imply that she really, honestly, totally deserved to be locked away in Purgatory for whatever she's done.

I don't want to believe it and I'm hoping it's some sort of misdirect because it seems like they're setting up a way for Ichabod and Abbey to fall in love and for it to be okay because, oh, hey, Katrina was evil all along. But on the other hand, I'm getting this feeling in the pit of my stomach that she sought out Moloch herself from within Purgatory after the Four banished her and is either using him for some kind of larger purpose, or tried to and was overwhelmed by him because he's about as close to Satan as FOX can get away with showing on network television.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The only shady thing Katrina has done is maybe not tell Ichabod that they had a kid. Of course she didn't know until after he was in a magic coma. Every time she's seen him after that has been in fleeting Purgatory meetings with Moloch breathing down her neck. Plus the kid "died" a couple hundred years ago, so really maybe not something to just bring up while trying to save the world. Don't see how she dicked over Brom though. Oh, sorry, she didn't want to go through with an arranged marriage to a man she didn't love. Really should have thought about his feelings.

Her coven leaders were straight up assholes, as seen by pretty much everything we've ever seen them do. They only wanted Ichabod's whereabouts for the same reason as the Masons, which was to just kill him. Plus, you know, sending Katrina to eternal imprisonment with super evil dude and killing a kid just because they couldn't control him.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Katrina and Brom really should be together, they both love deviating from their side's grand plans.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

SiKboy posted:

We will be subjected to a 5 minute rant about how much of a nonsense it is that a cobbler should have to moonlight by also cutting keys (and what the devil is a watch battery?). And it will be glorious.

Seriously, I love this show, but I would like it almost as much if it was retitled "Ichabod Crane vs the 20th century" and just had him reacting to different aspects of modern life every week. Kind of like a time displaced Seinfeld ("What is the DEAL with paying for bottled water? Its just water in a bottle people!").

This would entirely justify the concept of the webisode if they took advantage.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

BreakAtmo posted:

This would entirely justify the concept of the webisode if they took advantage.

Only if they include Abbie's completely reasonable fear of tap water.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I simply cannot wait until they find a reason to stick Ichabod on a plane.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Perhaps they're going for a setting where instead of unified good vs evil factions you have people who are either on Washington's side and those who are on Moloch's side but with no guarantee that they won't put their personal goals above those of their team or just be a loose cannon in general like the witches who are too concerned with their internal power struggles and a Horseman who runs off on his own quest for vengeance and ends up loving up the entire apocalypse for centuries.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Asehujiko posted:

Perhaps they're going for a setting where instead of unified good vs evil factions you have people who are either on Washington's side and those who are on Moloch's side but with no guarantee that they won't put their personal goals above those of their team or just be a loose cannon in general like the witches who are too concerned with their internal power struggles and a Horseman who runs off on his own quest for vengeance and ends up loving up the entire apocalypse for centuries.
I hope we get more Masons. And that the Knights Templar show up somehow, since they were mentioned as a throwaway line in one of the earlier episodes.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

They keep putting eyeliner above Abbie's waterline and it freaks me out. It doesn't make sense because people haven't done that kind of makeup in years.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Josh Lyman posted:

They keep putting eyeliner above Abbie's waterline and it freaks me out. It doesn't make sense because people haven't done that kind of makeup in years.

Her 'waterline'?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Neat interview with Damien Kindler about the OnStar scene

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/12/09/sleepy-hollow-ichabod-onstar-lady/

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Josh Lyman posted:

What, like, in her eye?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Josh Lyman posted:

People do this makeup all the time, what the hell are you talking about?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rarity posted:

He's talking about women, a subject he has studied ceaselessly for years now

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

DivisionPost posted:

He's talking about women, a subject he has studied ceaselessly for years now

Maybe the problem is he needs to take remedial women.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Frostwerks posted:

What have remedial women done to you, that you'd wish they were taken by the likes of him?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I like how the guy describes writing Ichabod as a man out of time, that he's not necessarily confused and terrified of modern things, he's almost bemused and pitying in some ways because he can see all these things we've lost as a culture to gain the modern convenience of texting or whatever. And also the bit about how he's from such a conversational time, so of course he could have an actual conversation with the OnStar lady, which also explains his hilarious voicemail to Abby. "Dear Leftenant Mills," he begins, finishing with "Cordially yours, Ichabod Crane."

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Frostwerks posted:

Is "Designing Women" a beginners course or an upper-level course?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Oh my god it took me this long to get the "more treasures from the Amazon?" line. :saddowns:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's no new episode tonight, right?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rarity posted:

Even on a SHIELD, a show where goons were complaining after the first episode that the actors were too good looking to be hackers and scientists, even they leave the waterline alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Waffleman_ posted:

There's no new episode tonight, right?

Yeah, no new episode tonight, there's two half hour Dreamworks Xmas specials in it's place.

• Locked thread