Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks mate, that's exactly what I needed to hear. Would you say it's worth getting it BNF and buy a decent Tx (probably a Turnigy if I go that route) or just pick up the RTF kit and worry about that stuff later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

As far as a TX goes it depends on if you think you are likely to stick with the hobby. You can't really go wrong with a turnigy 9xr and the orangerx spektrum module from hobbyking. It will be around $100 with the battery module and TX. Its a great radio that can easily support LRS systems and all sorts of radio standards. It can be flashed to various open source firmwares and has all the customization you would ever want.

You save $30 on the BNF. So if you don't mind spending the extra $70 you will get a much better radio that can support multiple models etc.

I use a 9xr for my quad and my flying wing and find it great. If you want to get more spendy the frsky trannis looks pretty cool and has a few more features than the 9xr.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
I take it there is no way to use mission control with the likes of the Blade 180 or 350?

On the one hand as a complete beginner I like the idea of their "SAFE" system. But on the other hand for the almost the same same money you could get an APM 2.5 quad which supports mission planner and waypoints and has the option of being upgraded with long range telemetry. So more scope in the longrun.

The downside of that being the steeper learning curve.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Rapulum_Dei posted:

I take it there is no way to use mission control with the likes of the Blade 180 or 350?

On the one hand as a complete beginner I like the idea of their "SAFE" system. But on the other hand for the almost the same same money you could get an APM 2.5 quad which supports mission planner and waypoints and has the option of being upgraded with long range telemetry. So more scope in the longrun.

The downside of that being the steeper learning curve.

My first and only quad is an APM 2.5 quad. I haven't had too much trouble with it. But I did have some RC experience before getting it. It is definitely fiddly though and if you aren't interested in wading through forum threads and doing firmware updates and fiddling with PIDs then you are better off with something more ready to go.

Another thing to consider is that 3dr is going to have their pixhawk autopilot available fairly soon. It uses a 32 bit arm processor and has the potential to do tons more over the next few years. Could be worth waiting for that or something similar.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Enjoy debating the merits of drones with D&D!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A guy I know is building a quadcopter. He is sort of crazy and sometimes talks about how much weight he thinks it can carry and how "I could easily put a pistol on there, just so you know." I'm thinking like "I really don't think I should be listening to this and/or I should be reporting you to some authorities and/or you're the guy who is going to get civilian quadcopters outlawed."

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Sagebrush posted:

A guy I know is building a quadcopter. He is sort of crazy and sometimes talks about how much weight he thinks it can carry and how "I could easily put a pistol on there, just so you know." I'm thinking like "I really don't think I should be listening to this and/or I should be reporting you to some authorities and/or you're the guy who is going to get civilian quadcopters outlawed."

It's me, I'm the guy who doesn't account for recoil on a hovering platform. I wouldn't worry too hard.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

D&D :wtc:

Drones :argh:

:cripes:

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Uhh yeah hey guys, I'm just a regular drone-builder nerd, yeah it's pretty cool (like me). So, now that we're friends, how many people you killed with your drones? I would go first, but I'm just a little embarrassed by my small k/l ratio (that's the kill-loss ratio, for those in the know). I'd be good to compare myself with some of the pros itt

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

rudatron posted:

Uhh yeah hey guys, I'm just a regular drone-builder nerd, yeah it's pretty cool (like me). So, now that we're friends, how many people you killed with your drones? I would go first, but I'm just a little embarrassed by my small k/l ratio (that's the kill-loss ratio, for those in the know). I'd be good to compare myself with some of the pros itt

:gb2gbs:

What's the smallest size multicopter that can fly outdoors realistically?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

rudatron posted:

The only thing my drone has killed is my dignity. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7kwhtslOYQ&t=79s

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

mashed_penguin posted:

The only thing my drone has killed is my dignity. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7kwhtslOYQ&t=79s

GET OUT OF MY CITY

AHHHHH

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Trabisnikof posted:

:gb2gbs:

What's the smallest size multicopter that can fly outdoors realistically?

Probably something about like this. My dad has one of those that works fine (it may be a 550 size?). He just grabbed a $50 P+S over Black Friday to throw on it too.

Theoretically there's no minimum size, but if you get too small and light an aircraft it'll get tossed all over in a light wind. If you have a real calm day and your setup is trimmed right you can fly pretty much anything outside though.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
My daughter and I fly her Syma x1 outside all the time. It handles small breezes way better than something like a blade cx3. I wouldn't fly it on a windy day, or above the tree tops, but for cruising around the yard its great.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

ease posted:

Syma x1

Just from your mention of the quad and me looking at it on amazon I went ahead and ordered it (great deal $37) and then ordered 3 extra 600 mah batteries from USA warehouse of hobbyking.

Will the quad handle the weight of the batteries ok? Here's the battery that I ordered (Here). Has the weight at 15g. Think that's to heavy?

Also, I noticed that it's a spectrum receiver. I know the turnigy 9xr transmitter that I'm using is the orange dsm/dsm2, I wouldn't be able to bind those would I?

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 12, 2013

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I think it will probably be ok w/ that battery, but I've never flow it on anything other than the stock. Let me know how it works out.

How to bind : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaEPEVb9i0k

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Thanks for the binding video.

Only reason I felt ok going with the 600's is because on the amazon page to buy the quad it shows the "something you should buy with this" section and in there was a battery "upgrade" for double the flight time and it was just a cheapo 600 mah battery. Didn't mention its weight though. I figured I could get away with a 1s 600 mah from hobbyking instead. 2.85 a battery instead of the $11 a battery that they wanted.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

rudatron posted:

Are you this guy? http://youtu.be/SNPJMk2fgJU

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I didn't realize his accent was fake until last year. True story.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Has anyone here built a quad partially from scratch before? I just started working on one with a friend, we're gonna write our own software and build a custom frame. We have the technical know-how for such a project but I'm guessing that anyone else who has done this would probably have some helpful tips.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Theresa. dJI phantom at a local overstock store for 299. I currently have an AR drone 2.0 that I can't get flying after a crash. I like that the phantom has a GoPro mount and can fly higher. Should I grab it at this price? Looks like it has never been opened.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Theresa. dJI phantom at a local overstock store for 299. I currently have an AR drone 2.0 that I can't get flying after a crash. I like that the phantom has a GoPro mount and can fly higher. Should I grab it at this price? Looks like it has never been opened.

That is a good price. The phantom is a poo poo ton more powerful than the ar drone. So take your time with it. The only thing I don't like about the phantom is if you crash it and break the shell you need a whole new shell. As opposed to just changing the arms. The props are also a strange shaft diameter that isn't very standard.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Drones are good for doing good things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP9JH-MEmp8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FumBTUe8Qcs

And also good for doing fun things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdfRqD-3t9E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7tfxk6ZwA8

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

MaxxBot posted:

Has anyone here built a quad partially from scratch before? I just started working on one with a friend, we're gonna write our own software and build a custom frame. We have the technical know-how for such a project but I'm guessing that anyone else who has done this would probably have some helpful tips.

I have built several before. Start with something simple and then start getting into fancy stuff.

Don't try to homebrew a flight controller until you actually know how to fly something.

Not a multi rotor but here is my latest flying thing. Vertical take off and landing. Maybe ill make a bigger one for the summer.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Jealous of your cutter helno.

This just came in today :

Thanks polyfractal

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

ease posted:

Jealous of your cutter helno.

This just came in today :

Thanks polyfractal

Looks slick. FPV I presume?

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Yeah, I'm going to do APM, 1.3ghz video, and 433mhz openlrs.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I'm starting to have serious thoughts about doing an FPV funjet. Too many videos of people zooming around at 150mph + :negative:

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Are people 3D printing custom FPV planes? Or jets would be cooler.

Here's what I know:
3D modelling software is readily available and readily used by the masses.
Something that's been printed with a very low infill is ridiculously light for its size.
There are open-source alternatives to practically everything now.
Certain kinds of jet engines are pretty easy to homebrew.

Here's what I don't know:
How easily engines (probably scramjets?) can be adapted to something that is relatively small and subsonic.
If there are specifically open-source projects involving aerodynamics simulation.
If 3D-printed materials are strong/accurately printed/smooth enough to be feasibly used.
Fuel concerns.

I dunno, I don't see any reason why it can't be done, but as I said, I don't know all of the facts.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

ante posted:

Yes people are. I would say the majority of projects I have seen are modifications to existing airframes. For example a friend of mine just printed an fpv bay section for a teksumo that fits between the two foam wing halves to give it a cleaner carrying capacity.

The disadvantage of printing at least at the moment is that most of the plastics are fairly brittle compared to the various foams which are used in many planes. Foam when combined with carbon spars is very light and strong and is also fairly flexible and crash resistant.

As far as engines I have no idea.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ante posted:

Here's what I know:
3D modelling software is readily available and readily used by the masses.
Something that's been printed with a very low infill is ridiculously light for its size.
There are open-source alternatives to practically everything now.
Certain kinds of jet engines are pretty easy to homebrew.

Here's what I don't know:
How easily engines (probably scramjets?) can be adapted to something that is relatively small and subsonic.
If there are specifically open-source projects involving aerodynamics simulation.
If 3D-printed materials are strong/accurately printed/smooth enough to be feasibly used.
Fuel concerns.

I dunno, I don't see any reason why it can't be done, but as I said, I don't know all of the facts.

Bear in mind that you are comparing to various foam types and/or plastic-film clad balsa structure, which offers very good weight/strength ratio.
Further, you also need to be able to repair sections without having to reprint the entire plane.
3D printing is neat and I will get one in the next 6 months, but it's usage on RC planes is relatively limited (Quadcopters is different).

Further, a scramjet is supersonic by default.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I ended up getting that Phantom. Most everything works on it but looks like one motor needs to be replaced. Still, that'll put me at about $330 invested in this thing which still feels like a good deal. I'm going to part out my busted AR drone on eBay to recoup some of it. Can't wait to actually fly this thing.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
So since this thread is now in D&D can we discuss the generational gap that is emerging in the R/C world.

We have the Greybeards who dont like change and think these foam planes and 2.4 ghz radios are just a fad and will only be happy when the republicans/conservatives ban FPV and multi rotor flying.

Then we have the younger generation who wants to fly and make unconventional aircraft.

These two groups tend to not mix well and usually end up with one party butt hurt and the other party exits stage left to go fly in a park.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

helno posted:

So since this thread is now in D&D can we discuss the generational gap that is emerging in the R/C world.

We have the Greybeards who dont like change and think these foam planes and 2.4 ghz radios are just a fad and will only be happy when the republicans/conservatives ban FPV and multi rotor flying.

Then we have the younger generation who wants to fly and make unconventional aircraft.

These two groups tend to not mix well and usually end up with one party butt hurt and the other party exits stage left to go fly in a park.

This generational gap will be solved mostly by the old AMA folks dying out.

That said the AMA is saying some more encouraging things about FPV lately.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Alot of problems will start solving themselves when the boomers die.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

helno posted:

You have no idea how much better this has gotten over the past decade. I started flying electric planes about 12 years ago, back in the days when everything was built with repurposed car equipment. My first plane was a styrofoam probably ~0.40 sized trainer that ran on sub-c car packs using a Graupner Speed 600 motor, and it barely got off the ground even with that. The initial powertrain was even more anemic.

mashed_penguin posted:

Foam when combined with carbon spars is very light and strong and is also fairly flexible and crash resistant.

Oh god yes you have no idea what it can take until you try it. I've still got my second electric aircraft, which is an EPP foamie type with carbon-fiber sparring. I've probably totalled it four or five times over the years, including some full-speed-into-the-ground type crashes. The worst that happens is you dremel out the shattered spar and use some polyurethane foam (Elmers ProBond and water) to mount a new one.

Styrofoam (EPS foam) and other types are less durable, and the smaller the cell size in the EPP foam the stronger it is. Larger cells tend to have less rigidity, which can lead to "flapping" if the aircraft isn't sparred properly.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 14, 2013

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Check out this thread for a fully 3D printed plane design. The wing sections are designed to fit together like Legos so there can be many different ways to assemble the plane:
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?17014-SkyTrek-3D-printed-foldable-silent-fly-everywhere-FPV-plane

The guy is super anal and has been working on it for over a year without flying it but at least it looks cool.

As for the AMA and FPV, the AMA has always done this. In the 80's when helis were new they went through a period where fields would ban them, or send them to the far corner of the field. They finally accepted them. Then when electrics first came out it was the same deal. The old grumps at the field would tell the new kids electric was crap and push them away or assign them specific times to fly.

Now they're repeating the same thing with FPV, the difference is FPVers don't need an acre of plain grass field to fly, in fact, we prefer mountains and ridges and cool terrain to fly over. That's why the AMA is reaching out to FPVers lately, IMO, we're not joining at the same rate that FPV is growing. Also about a year ago they did a big survey about FPV and AMA and half the questions were basically "why do you think the AMA pushes new members away" and "do you think the AMA has a problem with accepting new technology." They know they have a problem, the problem isn't with the leadership it's with the members (old men).

They'll let an 80 year old geriatric fly a 10 lbs POS filled to the brim with nitromethane but god-forbid someone flies for 2 minutes via the cockpit view.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Vitamin J posted:

Check out this thread for a fully 3D printed plane design. The wing sections are designed to fit together like Legos so there can be many different ways to assemble the plane:
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?17014-SkyTrek-3D-printed-foldable-silent-fly-everywhere-FPV-plane

The guy is super anal and has been working on it for over a year without flying it but at least it looks cool.

FPVLab dude posted:

Again, radical change. SkyTrek (which will be finished and will fly) has two issues: quite heavy and bloody expensive to print.

Last page tells you all you need to know :)

If he instead had done foam wings/fuse and then 3D printed the folding mechanisms/connectors, he might have a chance..

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 15, 2013

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Took advantage of a break in raincouver to get a bit of flying in today. I'm getting the hang of the Caipirinha pretty well now. I did two 20 min flights with it and Its flying really well. Next step is going to be getting used to my goggles when they arrive in a couple of weeks. Then some longer flights distance from home wise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt8xMYASJxw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Came in today. I'm so much more excited about this than I probably should be.

Already started it up and did a few flips in the office. Pretty awesome. Few coworks promptly went and ordered some for themselves/kids.