Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Haha, we've been running our stores off of a trial version of SQL Server 2012 - and the trial just ran out.

:siren::siren::suicide::siren::siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:munch:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

chia posted:

poo poo pissing me off currently: I need to find out if a certain AD user account is being used anywhere in the domain to run a service or anything, so I can change the password/disable the account without poo poo breaking.

Anyone have a software for this? I vaguely remember someone mentioning something like this but can't find it.

I actually kind of enjoy just disabling these then standing up to see who's head pops up over the cubicle wall in a panic.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
So, on the subject of the Penny-Arcade style of recruiting... (click to embiggen)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
To sum up my day.

"Hey Dan! Do some testing for us!" "Sure, i'll do it, just give me a few hours".

A few hours later I handed it in, only to be told that they'd just finished the new build and that the testing I had done was for nothing and i'd have to start from scratch. I mean hey, I got to stay off the phones all day, but I like it when the work I do is actually needed. Fixing peoples problems makes me fairly happy. Wasting 3 hours does not.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Volmarias posted:

So, on the subject of the Penny-Arcade style of recruiting...

I like how they think $50k for helpdesk, infrastructure, web dev, on-site EPoS support and data entry peon in Oregon is somehow the going rate that they intend to undercut.

Edit: DBA as well.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I still have a hard time believing people post, or answer, ads like that. My city is not all that expensive but that offer pays less than an experienced help desk tech.

EDIT: The ad has been pulled, I presume in response to widespread mockery.

guppy fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 12, 2013

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

guppy posted:

I still have a hard time believing people post, or answer, ads like that. My city is not all that expensive but that offer pays less than an experienced help desk tech.

EDIT: The ad has been pulled, I presume in response to widespread mockery.

Rogue is notoriously awful about stuff like that, I'm pretty sure that's a relatively old posting.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Rogue is notoriously awful about stuff like that, I'm pretty sure that's a relatively old posting.

No, it got pulled because a goon actually took that job :haw:
(It was a real posting)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

chia posted:

poo poo pissing me off currently: I need to find out if a certain AD user account is being used anywhere in the domain to run a service or anything, so I can change the password/disable the account without poo poo breaking.

Anyone have a software for this? I vaguely remember someone mentioning something like this but can't find it.

Just do a scream test? :clint:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

(It was a real posting)

I know it was a real posting, it's just from back in June.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Gwaihir posted:

(It was a real posting)

I would say that makes blackswordca's posts make a lot more sense, but he talks about a management heirarchy and that's anathemic to Rogue (as is an HR department, apparently! :v:), so that can't be it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I don't think the goon in question posts in SH/SC but he said it's pretty much everything you would imagine based on that post.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Thing pissing me off today. The manufacturer whose software I support has a web based knowledge base that is searchable. They made changes such that the search form scrubs the input of special characters, which makes searching for log entries almost unusable. So if a log entry says (made up example) error code=123, you get back error code123 not found. Putting quotes does nothing. You have to hope for a hit on a partial match.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
What's the polite way to tell someone to fix their fax setup?

We receive about 50 pages of faxes every hour, all of them come in fine except for this sender, which makes it a problem when we receive 23 pages of some text spread out between a lot of horizontal lines and distortions. I've checked the line for noise, had professionals check the line, swapped out the equipment, and still haven't seen this problem with any faxes besides ones sent from this facility. I've spoken with them and even sent copies of what we're receiving to demonstrate but they refuse to believe it could be them ("haven't heard complaints from anyone else, must be INTERMITTENT line noise on your end :smug: ").

I'm about to resort to requesting all documents to be mailed from this sender.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Tell them what you just posted and if they still refuse to change anything then request the hard copies?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

poo poo that doesn't piss me off: I've just discovered how useful wildcard DNS entries and a reverse proxy can be. No more having to wait for random web services that I want to be available externally to propagate DNS, just add the host to the Apache config.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I've seen error correction being enabled on a machine cause similar fax problems. Turning it off seem to make the issue go way. It was a Ricoh/Lanier machine for what it's worth. Of course the trick is going to be getting the folks at the sending office to take a look at that.
It might also be worth contacting the sender's fax vendor yourself if you can get that info. You might get lucky and they might actually care.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Hahaha, SQL Server has the key embedded in the install, we can't just update our old version.

:suicide:

Also, while this is down, why not move our Apache install to the new server?

Oh look, half of the company's computers are using hardcoded HOSTs files.

:suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

:stare:

Definitely drinking something hard in your honor when I get home tonight, good god.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
You might as well just make a GPO that overwrites the HOSTS file with a default one.

Or are they using hardcoded ones because you have no and/or totally hosed DNS.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

I had a department manager once who either didn't understand how DHCP reservations worked, didn't understand that static IP addresses aren't necessary if your DNS works properly (and you don't need to poke firewall holes), or just hated doing things in a quick efficient fashion. We wanted to change some stuff around to move to a different IP range and he decided he was going to declare himself the guy to write scripts to look up server hostnames and set the appropriate static IP on each one.

Obviously it all went hilariously wrong.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Volmarias posted:

So, on the subject of the Penny-Arcade style of recruiting... (click to embiggen)

We want someone who will do everything for us but we're not going to pay them accordingly and they have to have a healthy disrespect for authority. Only the strong survive

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Obviously you should disrespect authority right up to the point where we tell you to do something.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Caged posted:

Obviously you should disrespect authority right up to the point where we tell you to do something.

"If any of the offices or 11 pubs need help, you need to help NOW."

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
The company I work for uses hard coded host files. The best part is that you aren't actually told this until you try and access something internal via host name and it doesn't work, it is not documented anywhere, and as #1 would indicate, new computers are not setup with the correct host entries when you start.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Caged posted:

Just like PA wanted somebody not motivated by money, as long as the money in question wasn't company revenue.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I do not understand the logic behind not letting DNS do what it was designed to do. I don't think I'll ever understand it. It's worse than giving servers completely horribly stupid names because "then nobody will guess it's the Exchange server".

Inspector_666 posted:

Just like PA wanted somebody not motivated by money, as long as the money in question wasn't company revenue.

"I didn't bother trying to get that quote down, after all we aren't motivated by money, so I just offered them list."

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mewse posted:

We want someone who will do everything for us but we're not going to pay them accordingly and they have to have a healthy disrespect for authority. Only the strong survive

Well, I just got out of prison after doing 5 years for murder (guess the parole board liked me). This seems like a pretty good job for me.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Caged posted:

"I disrespected your authourity.

I also encrypted all the servers, because this is a revolution, and I just took power in a coup d'etat.

KNEEL BEFORE IT!" :doom:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Gwaihir posted:

(It was a real posting)

Wait what? Really? Who is this poor soul so that I may buy them a large bottle of alcohol?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Caged posted:

I do not understand the logic behind not letting DNS do what it was designed to do. I don't think I'll ever understand it. It's worse than giving servers completely horribly stupid names because "then nobody will guess it's the Exchange server".

"I didn't bother trying to get that quote down, after all we aren't motivated by money, so I just offered them list."
Check out RFC 1178, it's all about how to name your computer.
http://www.rfc-base.org/txt/rfc-1178.txt

quote:

Don't choose a name after a project unique to that machine.
The problem that comes up is when you have multiple machines performing the same function, you could end up with a mess of servers all called "FileServer#". While it sounds good a person will have trouble remembering where each one is without looking it up. I suppose the bigger problem is when you have one server that performs multiple functions. You could have a single AD server at a remote site that handles everything; file server, print server, AD authentication, local email, etc. You could name it after the site, but the site could change names or move to another building, we've had sites change their names, we had a department change their name.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 12, 2013

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm not sure that's relevant any more in the age of the VM when systems get torn down when they've finished their task. I'd rather deal with a bunch of mail servers named mail01, mail02, mail03 etc than after things in Star Wars.

In either case, implying that things are named a certain way because that makes it more secure is just wrong.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I've seen error correction being enabled on a machine cause similar fax problems. Turning it off seem to make the issue go way. It was a Ricoh/Lanier machine for what it's worth. Of course the trick is going to be getting the folks at the sending office to take a look at that.
It might also be worth contacting the sender's fax vendor yourself if you can get that info. You might get lucky and they might actually care.

We have phone service through Time Warner Cable, I have to turn off error correction to be able to fax at all. As it is I get 9600 instead of the glorious 33.6 it could do with a real phone line.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Yaos posted:

Check out RFC 1178, it's all about how to name your computer.
http://www.rfc-base.org/txt/rfc-1178.txt

RFC posted:

Extremely well-known hostnames such as "sri-nic" and "uunet"
Ah, 1990.

Yaos posted:

The problem that comes up is when you have multiple machines performing the same function, you could end up with a mess of servers all called "FileServer#". While it sounds good a person will have trouble remembering where each one is without looking it up. I suppose the bigger problem is when you have one server that performs multiple functions. You could have a single AD server at a remote site that handles everything; file server, print server, AD authentication, local email, etc. You could name it after the site, but the site could change names or move to another building, we've had sites change their names, we had a department change their name.

{function}{site_by_aiport}{state}{number}

websfoca01

Or some other sane naming scheme.

{function}{rack}{building}{number}

virt{function}{host}{number}

It's 2013. There's no reason not to virtualize things or be using racktables.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
None of my sites have multiple server rooms, and the site with the most racks is Corporate (And there aren't enough racks to bother going so in depth). But other than that, the above is how I do it.

Site ID - Company Name - Function - Identifier number (For the case of tasks that require multiple machines like DC, DNS ETC)

So 01-MyCompanyWebsite01
01-MyCompanyDC01
01-MyCompanyDC02
01-MyCompanyFP01

The rear end in a top hat before me did CompanynameIdentifier number, and to this day I'm always having to wrack my brain on what each server he stood up does. As I phase the servers out they are being replaced with the new naming convention.

CompanyName01 is a domain controler
CompanyName02 is a mailserver
CompanyName03 is a SQL server

So on and so forth. I loath non descriptive server names. I hate having to refer to documentation just to know what the gently caress is going on when that information can easily be conveyed in the name. And I don't want to sit in a corner muttering to myself "No no, which one was the Exchange server? SpiderMan? SpiderPig? No wait SpiderPig is obviously Sharepoint".

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

evol262 posted:

{site_by_aiport}
So you're the rear end in a top hat that keeps getting people to name their NYC servers for NJ airports and well-known cities like New Orleans after apocryphal designations like "MSY"

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Misogynist posted:

So you're the rear end in a top hat that keeps getting people to name their NYC servers for NJ airports and well-known cities like New Orleans after apocryphal designations like "MSY"

Who would use anything but NYC for NYC?

I don't know how Alaska got NOL either, but you should have learned from Katrina not to put servers in New Orleans anyway :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

evol262 posted:

Who would use anything but NYC for NYC?
It's not a loving airport! :argh:

Yaos posted:

Assuming that you're talking about a CIFS environment, you shouldn't need to remember them at all. You should be using DFS and automatically mapping to the right server, and you should be mapping users' most frequently-used drives at login. If you're telling your users to go to Start->Run and type in an actual server name to get to their network share, something is wrong with the way that your organization approaches user experience.

There's no value in being completely anal-retentive about server naming, as though you're going to literally write a script that makes assumptions about servers by parsing the names of every server in your environment. There is no dichotomy between "S329694NJ2SL88" and "KASHYYYK" and there's plenty of room in between to do things that make sense.