Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Arcanine in B2/W2 is way too useful for Red to put in his team, it even gets Outrage now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Yeah, I used a Growlithe/Arcanine in my W2 run (which I still haven't finished), and he's was a star player throughout the whole thing. (I also named him High Five because of Choro's Platinum LP and because I'm terrible at nicknames.)

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Also, if there's yet another new gym leader in addition to Cheren, I guess those dressed-up element monkey guys are off waiting tables now that they're out of a job.

As long as they're not shoved in absolutely everywhere.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

StandardVC10 posted:

Arcanine in B2/W2 is way too useful for Red to put in his team, it even gets Outrage now.

They're so adorable though, does adorableness beat out excessive usefulness?

Magicpokey
Feb 16, 2011
I found a copy of white 2 for $20 at a pawn shop yesterday, so I snagged it. I'm going to play through it with the thread as my self reward for finishing my exams.

I think $20 is pretty good for a Pokemon game, considering GameStop has used heartgold/soulsilver WITHOUT the poke walker for $50 and neither b/w or b2/w2 are under $35.

But that's veering into megathread territory, so I'll stop now...

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

RabidWeasel posted:

They're so adorable though, does adorableness beat out excessive usefulness?

Only if your name is Roxy.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

StandardVC10 posted:

He's raised a Crawdaunt so clearly owning is not forbidden. :colbert:

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Bianca's Scientific Journal Entry 1!

Arriving in Aspertia City on official Assistantt to the Pokemon Professorial duties! Scaling the highest point in town, I get a look of the surrounding area. It's fall, just like when we started our journey so long ago...after Haley's leg healed and all C=

My job was to meet a young boy in town named Vinny! The professor specifically asked for him by name! Or I guess she asked his mom to ask him to help out. Moms are really good at getting kids to do things I've found out. It's one of their scientific properties! Eheh, did that sound like a good fact? Maybe I should do more research before I call it one...

Meeting Vinny though, I can sense a good vibe from him. He seems so full of life and curiosity! Just looking at his eyes tells me he's ready to begin his own Pokemon journey! He also has good choice in hats! Head gear is essential on any kind of big long journey because you never know when it's gonna rain or snow or if you just need something to keep a little snack in. I keep sour candy in mine sometimes when I wanna look real mature. It really impresses people to see someone having something not sweet!

I gave Vinny a Pokemon, just like a real professor would! He picked a Snivy! I feel like I haven't seen one of those in a long time...either way, it seems like Vinny has a friend who already has a Pokemon! Seeing a Tepig also brought back memories of my own journeys! Cheren had one of those! Well I think he still has him anyway, I don't see Cheren as the type to give away Pokemon who have been with him forever. I'd never give Lublub away after all and I know Haley wouldn't with Xanadu...

Speaking of Cheren, do you know what he's doing now? It's pretty impressive if I do say so myself! He's got a...oh! Sorry, this is for scientific purposes, not just telling the day to day, right? Well, it seems like Vinny has a really good future ahead of him because he was able to win with his Snivy even after fighting a fire type! I think he and..Curly? Yes! I think they're going to be really good friends! I'm good at guaging relationships between people and Pokemon!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, I'm glad these are staying for the sequel. :kimchi:

Firecube
Feb 15, 2012

"What do you mean we usually just play dead? Are you telling me I've been doing this whole opossum thing wrong for 20 years??!!!"
Yes! The journal back and even better than before. Bianca is the best Pokescientist.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

I wonder how many generations it'll take before we have Professor Bianca handing out your starter pokemon.

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.

Raitzeno posted:

I wonder how many generations it'll take before we have Professor Bianca handing out your starter pokemon.

Well she had better have a tree-related surname :colbert:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

beru04 posted:

Well she had better have a tree-related surname :colbert:
Professor Bianca Cedar has a nice ring to it.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Bianca is gonna be super stoked she's the first to discover Snivy's forked evolution path: it evolves into Mawile if you're sufficiently grumpy around it!

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.

The Leper Colon V posted:

Professor Bianca Cedar has a nice ring to it.

My choice is Professor Bianca Chestnut.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I like the sound of Prf. Bianca Beech.

Her PhD is in art.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I

Good Listener posted:

Bianca's Scientific Journal Entry 1!

[comedy gold]

I am so happy to see this, it's still as great as ever. :magical:

Rangpur posted:

Bianca is gonna be super stoked she's the first to discover Snivy's forked evolution path: it evolves into Mawile if you're sufficiently grumpy around it!

It's surprising she didn't write about it in the last panel.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

#07. The Toxic Girl

Whatever.

It's . . . in a basement?

"What's up, you like to rock? It's good to rock. Classy music. Lotta hip shakin'. You don't like the hip shakin'? That's fine maybe you're more of a classical sorta guy. Rockin' music."

feel free to challenge all of them!"

"Good to stay hydrated. Especially in the clubs. If you're ever in a club make sure everyone's drinkin' water. Liquor's a sometimes thing, it's the water you gotta drink. Boom."

Music: Virbank City Gym - Performance D-O-G-A-R-S (Japanese version)
Choro Notes: Starting with Virbank City, every Pokémon gym has their own arrangement of the gym theme. Kinda owns! Virbank's not-Japanese releases has a different song, you can hear it in the video later in the update. Dogars, by the way, is Koffing's Japanese name.

Oh I'll make her acknowledge me. Nobody ignores Vinny!

'ey. EY.

you out, too!"
Oh yeah, big man. Whatcha wanna do huh? Hittin them tiny drums with your tiny sticks.

Pile of sludge, fire duck. I wonder what Caldra will do.

Yeah, just do that until it stops movin'

No.

I'm gonna! Just stop playin', drat. poo poo's loud.

. . .

guitar or having a Pokémon battle!"

Let's get this over with! My head is pounding.

Choro Notes: Fire Spin traps the target for a few turns but . . . it's really not that helpful. The CPU seldom switches and really the damage dealt is minimal sooooo eh.

Do Venipede get stronger from guitars?

Geez!

Music: Unova Gym Leader Battle

Choro Notes: Roxie
Roxie's a new gym leader to Black2/White2. She's also the first Poison-type gym leader to not be in Fuschia City so there's that. Girl's a bassist in her band and loves Koffings. Nice.

It'd be a shame if that gas were, you know, flammable, wouldn't it?

Choro Notes: Venoshock is a special Poison-type move. It can't inflict poison itself on the target, but if used on an already poisoned target its base power doubles to 130. Nice and strong.

That's not desire! That's flaming drool!

Oh well, we've got a secret weapon.

Choro Notes: Using a Steel-type makes Roxie a joke—Steel completely ignores Poison-type attacks. The roughneck standing outside the gym even tells you to use a Magnemite from the Virbank Complex for an easy victory against her.

Choro Notes: Koffing does not have an Oran Berry usually, it only has that in Challenge Mode.

Heh, Jawnie, see? See what we can accomplish when you don't be a little rear end in a top hat?

Blappo. Badge, yo.

Choro Notes: Roxie does not have this monster normally, Grimer is challenge mode exclusive! It also has a dirty little trick specifically for someone who might have took the Magnemite advice:

Haha, rough beats, yo.

Choro Notes: Magnemite are 4x weak to Ground-type attacks, a single Mud-Slap can ruin their day. Mawile are only 2x weak to it so Pff.

Yo, I'm glad you're both immune to it and that's not your mouth because you are basically just chewin' on livin' sewage, you know that right?

Now for the Pyrotechnics!

Ohhh mannnn this is just sort of cruel, now.
Choro Notes: Being burnt halves your attack-stat, which Whirlipede kind of relies on to do its job.

Choro Notes: The Sitrus Berry is another Challenge Mode thing, normally the Whirlipede isn't holding anything.

Countered!

Do all of your songs have that many swear words?

Strong. Yep. That's me.

I feel revitalized and refreshed now!"

"It's kindness to say no for your friends and Pokémon, right?"

You hear that Jawnie?!

Choro Notes: Like I said: Poison-type special. Damage doubles against a poisoned opponent.

Choro Notes: Here's a video showing off the stuff they do with the music in Roxie's gym. It's kinda neat!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S38Ax4FZgo&hd=1

That is not your natural hair color. No. No way.

What? No. I am not letting those bloodsuckers get their hooks in me.

gently caress that!

as captain!"

Ughhghghhhghghhhhhhhhhhhhh

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I always thought it was reasonably clever how they fit "O-N" in "Pokemon" into one syllable for the non-Japanese version.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
You know, I've never played Black/White 2 but that musical thing just rocketed right this place right to the top of my favorite gyms list. I can't wait to see what else they did with them! :)

e: clarity

Galick fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 13, 2013

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Roxie's cool.

Not a fan of what comes next.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Wow. And I thought the first Unova games had fun with the music. The sequels not only continue that trend, but go even further. Even the little things like stopping the drums because you talked to the drummer is a nice touch.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I honestly loved what'll be covered next update. Like, I just stopped there until I did everything that's possible to do before I went on to the next town.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I find the use of POKEMON as a bit half assed, the ON doesn't really fit, I just think it sounds awkward. They could have used POISON, or have their band named the DOGARS and stuck with the Japanese track. But I like the theme anyway. This game has my favorite selection of gyms, their designs are all really cool and the different music was also a really cool feature. Guess what didn't carry through to XY? Yeah...

And I like Magby being used, quite a few people don't like Magmortar's design, let them see how cool it really is.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Crosspeice posted:

And I like Magby being used, quite a few people don't like Magmortar's design, let them see how cool it really is.

(I don't like Magmortar's design.)

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Chorocojo posted:

You just don't have anyone to trade with. :colbert:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Chorocojo posted:

Let's get this over with! My head is pounding.

Hey listen you Unovan idiot, I don't have the time to listen to you whine, so get your rear end back to the boulevard of broken dreams.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Chorocojo posted:

I'm not saying Magmortar's design is fantastic or anything, but Magmar looked like a literal butthead for all of the games. I'll take rejected Megaman bosses over that any day of the week.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Chorocojo posted:

No one really does.

Some people do like Magmar (which baffles me) but they seem even more critical of Magmortar's design.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Hey listen you Unovan idiot, I don't have the time to listen to you whine, so get your rear end back to the boulevard of broken dreams.

Insert too-many-drugs conspiracy theory about how Pokemon was inspired by early Green Day---1000 Hours, Best Thing In Town, Road To Acceptance...they're all really about COCKFIGHTING VIDEO GAMES, MAAAAAAN.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Nihilarian posted:

Roxie's cool.

Why do you hate fun?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Onmi posted:

Why do you hate fun?
Because I'm a conservative. :v:

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

Nihilarian posted:

Roxie's cool.

What comes next is basically what I've been looking forward to most about this.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Crosspeice posted:

I find the use of POKEMON as a bit half assed, the ON doesn't really fit, I just think it sounds awkward. They could have used POISON, or have their band named the DOGARS and stuck with the Japanese track. But I like the theme anyway.
My guess is that they were trying to make it usable in multiple languages, although different languages pronounce their letters differently so I'm not sure how well that would work. :v: (Or even what track they use in non-English/Japanese games)

Nihilarian posted:

Roxie's cool.

If you don't like what comes next, you don't have a soul. And this is coming from someone who thinks the following Pokemon feature from HGSS is overrated. :colbert:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Haifisch posted:

If you don't like what comes next, you don't have a soul. And this is coming from someone who thinks the following Pokemon feature from HGSS is overrated. :colbert:
I am thinking of the right sequence, right? The completely unneccessary, mandatory and frankly uninteresting acting subplot? It just kinda bored me. :shrug:

Maybe it gets better, I guess. Roll cameras!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

I'm not saying Magmortar's design is fantastic or anything, but Magmar looked like a literal butthead for all of the games. I'll take rejected Megaman bosses over that any day of the week.

Seconding this. Magmortar's not really all that great, but it's really hard to be worse than Magmar.

Rude Semprini
Jun 4, 2013

Ow. Right in the self esteem.
Magmar, Electabuzz and Rhydon get some weird looking evolutions...they really do seem like they're designed by a different team. Not that I think they're ugly, just that they look so different to their pre-evolutions.

I do like how you've got a choice of two great fire types so early in the game, because B/W 1 had, like, 5 fire types if that? I don't even count Pansear. NO ONE COUNTS PANSEAR.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Rude Semprini posted:

Magmar, Electabuzz and Rhydon get some weird looking evolutions...they really do seem like they're designed by a different team. Not that I think they're ugly, just that they look so different to their pre-evolutions.

I do like how you've got a choice of two great fire types so early in the game, because B/W 1 had, like, 5 fire types if that? I don't even count Pansear. NO ONE COUNTS PANSEAR.

B/W 1 had an okay spread of Fire types over the course of the game. In addition to Tepig as a starter, you had:

Simisear available before the first gym if you picked Oshawott, otherwise available in shaking grass in Pinwheel Forest after the second gym
Victini as an event Pokemon in Castelia City's Liberty Garden if you got the event item back when the game was released
Darumaka available in the desert between Castelia and Nimbasa (between the third and fourth gyms, though you could get one before tackling the third gym if you wanted)
Litwick available in the Celestial Tower before the sixth gym
Larvesta egg available on Route 18 after getting Surf
Heatmor on Victory Road
Reshiram (Black only) right before the battle with N at the end of the game
Volcarona in Relic Castle in the post-game

Compare with Diamond/Pearl where your only Fire-type options before the post-game were:

Chimchar's line and... Ponyta's line. :effort:

Rude Semprini
Jun 4, 2013

Ow. Right in the self esteem.

W.T. Fits posted:

Simisear available before the first gym if you picked Oshawott, otherwise available in shaking grass in Pinwheel Forest after the second gym
Victini as an event Pokemon in Castelia City's Liberty Garden if you got the event item back when the game was released
Darumaka available in the desert between Castelia and Nimbasa (between the third and fourth gyms, though you could get one before tackling the third gym if you wanted)
Litwick available in the Celestial Tower before the sixth gym
Larvesta egg available on Route 18 after getting Surf
Heatmor on Victory Road
Reshiram (Black only) right before the battle with N at the end of the game
Volcarona in Relic Castle in the post-game

Good reminder. Guess there were some if you were actually interested in them. I think I forgot them because I would only play through with a fire type if it was Litwick or Darumaka. Awesome pokemon, they are.

And you're right, Diamond/Pearl was far worse for it. I'm glad B/W 2 actually gives you a decent range to choose from early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

Compare with Diamond/Pearl where your only Fire-type options before the post-game were:

Chimchar's line and... Ponyta's line. :effort:

I always find it funny to then remind myself that they then decided to go with a Fire type member of the Elite Four, whose three of his five pokemon (in D/P) weren't Fire types, and had to use a starter Pokemon on his team.

• Locked thread